• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Considering these are my favorite in both catagories. No. Aria of Sorrow does come close though.

and saying SoTN has aged poorly is kind of funny to me considering it’s amazing attention to detail and legacy.

All of the others are good mind you, (well except maybe Circle of the Moon depending who you ask and I do know a fair few Bloodlines fans who don’t like Portrait of Ruin and how it treats Eric among other things).

But SoTN is basically the Super Metroid of our series and Rondo of Blood is one of the best Classicvanias, alongside the obvious Castlevania 4 and the Famicom version of 3. Also of course 1.

SoTN and Rondo are connected storywise as well. Original Rondo of Blood is also really hard to play these days for people who didn’t grab it on the Wii Virtual Console, Dracula X Chronicles is mildly inferior as well, even if it’s easier to access.

If you don’t like these but like the portable ones? Just keep playing the portable ones and you don’t have to waste your money.
Yeah, I'm not going to waste my money. I was just looking forward to the rumored Castlevania collection and am disappointed it's not any of the games I'd want to revisit. Nothing wrong with expressing disappointment.

I don't view SotN as the Super Metroid of Igavania. I view it as the NES Metroid. Rough around the edges, cool ideas implemented terribly (ex. upside down castle), but a lot of promise. The portable titles finally delivered on that promise.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think SotN is a bad game. I think it's good, but I'd rather play Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, or Order of Ecclesia any day.

As for the pre-SotN titles, that's purely personal preference. Rondo might be the Super Metroid of those, but those aren't my thing in the first place.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
''BUT WHY WOULD MICROSOFT PICK ANYTHING BUT BANJO AND KAZOOIE THEY SAID...."

Banjo and Kazooie is nothing to them. Ya'll need to accept that.

Minecraft, Halo, etc these are the exclusives they give a damn about.
It's not why would Microsoft pick anything else. It's why would Sakurai. Sakurai chooses what goes in the game, not Microsoft. If he went to Microsoft for Banjo and Kazooie and they said 'No, you can only use Steve." I'm sure he would just give up on that unless he did want Steve. Given how well BK would fit with Smash and how much moveset potential they have I imagine he would want BK though.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I guess but Banjo would fit the cast better. Can you imagine how weird Steve would look in smash? He’s supposed to be a generic blocky person.
This is Sakurai we're talking about... If he can make Wii Fit trainer Work... He can make Steve work...

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

But none franchises are associated with Nintendo, Banjo is.
And if they don’t care about him all the more reason to give him to a franchise that cares about Nintendo history.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's not why would Microsoft pick anything else. It's why would Sakurai. Sakurai chooses what goes in the game, not Microsoft. If he went to Microsoft for Banjo and Kazooie and they said 'No, you can only use Steve." I'm sure he would just give up on that unless he did want Steve. Given how well BK would fit with Smash and how much moveset potential they have I imagine he would want BK though.
That's just all speculation though.

For all we know? Sakurai DOESN'T want Banjo-Kazooie.

Maybe he wants Steve?

Maybe he wants Steve because he's super relevant to gaming?

We don't know.

D

Deleted member

Ok but why Totodile and Oricorio specifically? I think there are much much much better and deserving Pokemon reps like Grovyle and Incineroar or Decidueye.
I think you missed the point of "100% biased".
Totodile is my favorite Pokemon and Oricorio is also in my Top 6
Debatable
No, it's not, there are literally more Pokemon in there lol
Game diversity. Xenoblade clearly has potential for more reps but you said "nope" and opted for Metal Face because?????
I don't care about XC2 and I hate Pyra's design.
I'd rather have my favorite villain from the series. And I didn't go "nope" considering I did add a new XC character
I don't think W101 did anything significant enough to warrant 2 unique movesets.
The Wonderful 101 didn't mash A to save the Earth to hear this ****
2 seems to be the max number of 3rd party series reps so that'll be my standard until said otherwise.
First, that's not an actual rule.
Second, I just felt like Sonic needed something in this 3rd Party galore and Tails is the obvious first pick.
Understandable, have a nice day.
Revolver Ocelot
Akuma or riot tho
I'd rather have my main and someone who isn't another shotoclone
Why not Noctis? Someone more recognizable maybe?
Because Cloud is all the "recognizability" FF needs, I want more classic FF. Black Mage is there due to being from the very first game. And Celes is, again, the ****ing FFVI protagonist. Not Terra like someone believe. I mean, did people actually play it? I always see people talking about Kefka and how FFVI is the best of the franchise but they always act as if Terra was the maim character.
Subjective because I still don't know who these characters are or where they are from.
The whole roster is subjective
Bowser Jr is there twice. King Boo is cool though Im more of a Captain Toad person.

I would replace Birdo with Ashley. I have no idea who the three after Tink are. Some questionable Pokemon decisions but you still put Mimikyu there and now all is forgiven.

I would probably die laughing if Doc Louis got revealed as a newcomer.
All the characters after Tink are Zelda characters... Do you legit not know Linebeck, Impa and Marin?
Technically I didn't even ask you for anything, I just poked fun at you until you came up with this idea by yourself. :p

But I have a two-hour train journey ahead of me, which will probably get longer because of the storm we're having, so I might consider coming up with something to return the favour anyway. though making me come up with a roster is probably a bad idea unless you really like getting salty because I forgot to include someone important, so I might change my mind

...okay, fine, I wouldn't complain about this, I guess you win for now. Except the twin Bowser Jrs, but everyone else already pointed those out so eh
Damnit, I could swear you were going to complain about no Sovereign or Imperial.
Is anyone else really disappointed in that Castlevania collection? I was hoping for a collection of the GBA and DS Castlevanias (obviously with the 2 screen issue fixed). SotN aged a lot worse than those and Rondo is one of the linear titles, which I've never cared much for.
>SotN aged poorly
The hell, I've been playing the game for the first time these past few weeks and it has aged like fine wine. The game is so well polished and fun that it legit gives Super Metroid a run for its money imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
The closely posted ideas of Steve over Banjo and Noctis as more Final Fantasy rep have literally given me a headache.

EDIT: Sotn is "good" but not a Heavenly Supergame like a lot of people make it out to be.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I would actualy be okay with that... Steve has a lot more moveset potential imo
Does he? I mean he has a few melee weapons, a bow, and some potions.

He could have some block placement mechanic, but I really don’t see how that would work. Sakurai could prove me wrong though, I just honestly have no clue how it would work and how it would be balanced.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman

He could have some block placement mechanic, but I really don’t see how that would work. Sakurai could prove me wrong though, I just honestly have no clue how it would work and how it would be balanced.
BTW, what are some things Banjo could do? All I know is that Kazooie shotos eggs and Banjo can turn into a T. Rex.

EDIT: I meant to say "shoots" but I'll leave any possible mental images here.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

And if they don’t care about him all the more reason to give him to a franchise that cares about Nintendo history.
This is unfortunately why I don't think Steve should be discredited for Banjo. Even if Nintendo/Sakurai would rather Banjo we have no idea what Microsoft would rather.

Also implying Nintendo/Sakurai wouldn't want Minecraft representation is a little silly seeing how much Nintendo has supported the series recently (and connections they've made with Microsoft over it).

One thing to consider is if you are one of those speculators that takes everything Sakurai says to heart and go off that whole "Every 3rd party character represents the best of the best of their genres" then Minecraft would represent a genre that is severly lacking representation even amongst Nintendo games (like what is Animal Crossing the closest we have to open world builder? I mean it's not at all even the same so yea no). Really wish Steve wasn't a possibility but can't ignore all this.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Guys, you’re looking at this all wrong...

The newcomer is going to be the MC from Fable

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I don’t understand why anyone would want a new rep from the same third party series, unless it’s an echo fighter like shadow or ken. Give me Sora over a new final fantasy character or Phoenix Wright over a new mega man character.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Rhythm Girl has been one of my Dream Smash Characters ever since I Started playing Rhythm Heaven a couple months ago...
Seriously though... that Franchise needs a rep. I don't want the franchise to be canceled. If it can work with Fire Emblem and Xenobalde, I think it can work with Rhythm Heaven...
Calling it now, one of the upcoming characters is Rhythm Heaven.. Funny it seems everybody forgot it was a thing.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I don’t understand why anyone would want a new rep from the same third party series, unless it’s an echo fighter like shadow or ken. Give me Sora over a new final fantasy character or Phoenix Wright over a new mega man character.
Sora as "not final fantasy" seems a wee bit odd to me. Like, it's "correct" but.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I’d honestly be less harsh on FF though since the games are totally different each time. Besides there’s like a ton more memorable FF characters

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I’d honestly be less harsh on FF though since the games are totally different each time. Besides there’s like a ton more memorable FF characters
Yeah. And I sure wouldn't want people to blame Cloud for preventing say, Terra from getting in, nor would I want that to actually occur.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo are like besties holding hands skipping everywhere.

''The console wars are so outdated! Buds for life!" They sing.

''No." Sony grumbles in a dark corner threatening some 12 year old who tried to play Fortnite on both his PS4 and Nintendo Switch with a switchblade knife.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And Celes is, again, the ****ing FFVI protagonist. Not Terra like someone believe. I mean, did people actually play it? I always see people talking about Kefka and how FFVI is the best of the franchise but they always act as if Terra was the maim character.
I thought I was the only one who knew about Celes being the mc! A shame Dissidia didn't know that...

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Sure but none of them come close to being as iconic as Cloud. I think he reps the series as a whole just fine. Just add some other protagonists as assist.trophies

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Compared to Splatoon 1's booming 5 million sale success and the giant growing active fanbase that the IP had prior to Ultimate's project plan in 2015 to ARMS, where the game was a million hit, but declining support base, it gets me thinking if Sakurai will exclude Spring Man in the DLC plans until a sequel comes where the support for the franchise booms in a similar fashion to Splatoon. Spring Man's inclusion might be considered pre-mature. ARMS may not be considered a proven Nintendo IP with long-term continuous success to Sakurai.

I get that most would say including Spring Man would help the IP grow from a decent success to a massive success, but eh...
That kind of saying reminds me of the times in Smash 4 speculation where people said including Chibi Robo or Dillon will help their IPs becoming bigger successes. I think Sakurai will want more from the ARMS IP first, but who knows, maybe being a million successor could be enough. :p
ARMS still sold pretty well though, it might not have been the smash hit that Splatoon was, but it's still outsold games like Xenoblade Chronicles and Kid Icarus: Uprising which received a ton of attention last game, it's not even that far off Fire Emblem: Awakening which is always made out to be this unbelievable success. ARMS gets panned a lot for not being another Splatoon, but it's still had solid success as a new IP, certainly enough to not warrant comparisons to Dillon's Rolling Western and Chibi Robo. New successful Nintendo IPs are rare to come by these days, so I feel like it should receive a more positive treatment than it has had.

As far as DLC goes it's difficult to say yet, we can't know if there'll be a shift in philosophy at that point, they might go back to Smash 4-type inclusions, or they could go all-out for the remaining fan favorites, we can't know at this stage.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Uh oh, the thing that rhymes with my Biggest Pet Peeve that I said I wouldn't talk about has shown up. I'll avoid that minefield.

But seriously, Banjo & Kazooie are Nintendo All-Stars that just happen to be owned by a rival company, who's game is built around a growing platforming moveset, makes perfect sense for a game that originated as a fighter for Nintendo platforming characters. If both sides have the assumption that legal barrier is gone, Banjo & Kazooie is the top choice from Microsoft. Minecraft, which is most notable for its world not its characters, is much better suited for a stage. I welcome both to the game. :)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Damnit, I could swear you were going to complain about no Sovereign or Imperial.
Well... That is to say, I--
wait, so that means you still lose, if you set out to make me complain and failed. :p

Besides, the Sovereign is a support class, so they wouldn't make much of a fighter anyway. Imperials would be cool, though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo are like besties holding hands skipping everywhere.

''The console wars are so outdated! Buds for life!" They sing.

''No." Sony grumbles in a dark corner threatening some 12 year old who tried to play Fortnite on both his PS4 and Nintendo Switch with a switchblade knife.
Sony slinks back to its theater to listen to old men play Japanese music while they plot which one game they'll show off at E3 for the next five years.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
That's just all speculation though.

For all we know? Sakurai DOESN'T want Banjo-Kazooie.

Maybe he wants Steve?

Maybe he wants Steve because he's super relevant to gaming?

We don't know.
That's just completely ignoring my point though where you said Banjo & Kazooie didn't matter to Microsoft and I said it didn't matter what they cared about. That's all I'm saying.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Well... That is to say, I--
wait, so that means you still lose, if you set out to make me complain and failed. :p

Besides, the Sovereign is a support class, so they wouldn't make much of a fighter anyway. Imperials would be cool, though.
Chiefier chief, over here chiefing it up.
This ain’t it, Chiefier.
I just wanted to say that.
My morning is slow.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Banjo being a rare case where he used to be a Nintendo character and represents a part of Nintendo history
It would be way more hype than Steve, who deserves an assist trophy at best
These are very subjective. Maybe not to you or me, but I'm sure Steve would bring a tremendous amount of hype to some people if he appeared in Smash as a playable character.

Isn't there a Super Mario Minecraft cross-over or something? I understand the history behind Banjo, but saying Minecraft isn't associated with Nintendo in any way is a stretch.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Uh oh, the thing that rhymes with my Biggest Pet Peeve that I said I wouldn't talk about has shown up. I'll avoid that minefield.

But seriously, Banjo & Kazooie are Nintendo All-Stars that just happen to be owned by a rival company, who's game is built around a growing platforming moveset, makes perfect sense for a game that originated as a fighter for Nintendo platforming characters. If both sides have the assumption that legal barrier is gone, Banjo & Kazooie is the top choice from Microsoft. Minecraft, which is most notable for its world not its characters, is much better suited for a stage. I welcome both to the game. :)
I 100% agree that Banjo as the character representation and Minecraft with a stage/items would be ideal and the best fit for Smash.

I mean heck if Square is willing to give Geno, a character they are absolutely not using, to Smash (at least as a Mii costume, but 99% of users here expect him as a character this time) than I could see Microsoft giving Banjo.

Definitely feels like DLC material though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That's just completely ignoring my point though where you said Banjo & Kazooie didn't matter to Microsoft and I said it didn't matter what they cared about. That's all I'm saying.
C'mon on now, that's not an argument.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I thought I was the only one who knew about Celes being the mc! A shame Dissidia didn't know that...
I didn't know before playing FFVI that Terra was considered MC (somehow) and was baffled when I found out. Terra is gone half the time! Celes is who you follow! and she's a way more interesting character than Terra too

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
So that Minecraft text leak looks pretty damning is true. However I would like to ask a couple of questions anyway. First, when was it posted? And second, are we sure it wasn't altered through text elements?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think you missed the point of "100% biased".
Totodile is my favorite Pokemon and Oricorio is also in my Top 6

No, it's not, there are literally more Pokemon in there lol

I don't care about XC2 and I hate Pyra's design.
I'd rather have my favorite villain from the series. And I didn't go "nope" considering I did add a new XC character

The Wonderful 101 didn't mash A to save the Earth to hear this ****

First, that's not an actual rule.
Second, I just felt like Sonic needed something in this 3rd Party galore and Tails is the obvious first pick.

Revolver Ocelot

I'd rather have my main and someone who isn't another shotoclone

Because Cloud is all the "recognizability" FF needs, I want more classic FF. Black Mage is there due to being from the very first game. And Celes is, again, the ****ing FFVI protagonist. Not Terra like someone believe. I mean, did people actually play it? I always see people talking about Kefka and how FFVI is the best of the franchise but they always act as if Terra was the maim character.

The whole roster is subjective

All the characters after Tink are Zelda characters... Do you legit not know Linebeck, Impa and Marin?

>SotN aged poorly
The hell, I've been playing the game for the first time these past few weeks and it has aged like fine wine. The game is so well polished and fun that it legit gives Super Metroid a run for its money imo.
Wait **** I didn't read the biased part. My b.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Chiefier chief, over here chiefing it up.
This ain’t it, Chiefier.
I just wanted to say that.
My morning is slow.
Replace every chief with smurf and see what you get.

I just wanted to say that. Mine's slow too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom