• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's this Dragon Quest 11 in Smash thing? I assume it's from a credible source otherwise why are we talking about it?

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
@Moydow
Never ask me for anything ever again.
View attachment 165502
This is completey 100% biased so I'd like to know how you'd all feel if I had free reign over the roster.

Notes: Dark Samus is the only decloned Echo. Team Rocket works much like Pkmn Trainer, their playable Pokemon are Meowth, Koffing and Arbok.
EDIT: fixed a mistake
> Has Team Rocket
> Doesn't have Blue Oak

Nah, but for real, this is probably pretty good, I think... :p

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The past 2 weeks of speculation have honestly been exhausting. The Direct delay, box theory, Verg showing up again, the blog theory, Corocoro saying there’s 108 stages, alt costumes... I thought the chairs thing was enough nuttiness, but this fan base continues to surprise.
Said before and I'll say it again, everything you mentioned is literally not special. Talking about a community that looks at cgi rendered clouds, measures shadows, and again less than a few weeks ago was counting on furniture to hint at the next newcomer.

This is smash speculation. Always has always has been.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
What's this Dragon Quest 11 in Smash thing? I assume it's from a credible source otherwise why are we talking about it?
https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1042123463757062145
They didn't explicitly state DQ but everything they say matches up with DQ.
But again, they're incredibly unreliable, people because them before they "leaked" a direct a while ago even though they got every piece of information wrong except the date.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/978314821211914240

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So to kind of change gears a bit. With Spirits Mode supposedly being the new story mode, someone asked how would DLC work with it. I think I have an idea.
So say we do get a Villains DLC for charcters that were bosses in the game (Examples could be Skull Kid, Black Knight, Shadow. 1 unique 2 echos).
Then we could get a mini story DLC to go with them. Kind of how Fire Emblem does their DLC. Short little missions with story.

I could see it working, but again...who knows.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1042123463757062145
They didn't explicitly state DQ but everything they say matches up with DQ.
But again, they're incredibly unreliable, people because them before they "leaked" a direct a while ago even though they got every piece of information wrong except the date.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/978314821211914240
Pardon me but I can't see anything Dragon Quest in that. Do I need to read between the lines or is this some kind of magic eye thing? Can someone fill in the blanks please?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So to kind of change gears a bit. With Spirits Mode supposedly being the new story mode, someone asked how would DLC work with it. I think I have an idea.
So say we do get a Villains DLC for charcters that were bosses in the game (Examples could be Skull Kid, Black Knight, Shadow. 1 unique 2 echos).
Then we could get a mini story DLC to go with them. Kind of how Fire Emblem does their DLC. Short little missions with story.

I could see it working, but again...who knows.
If this ends up being similar to The Subspace Emissary, I'm gonna assume you'd unlock the DLC fighters in that mode similar to how you got Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link in Brawl. That or they're just added to your roster in that game.

Can't really see them updating the mode with new cutscenes.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Btw I'm fond of Wolf's claw animations. Glad he's back ( I was salty we got Falco but not him) but I hope he's better than he was in brawl.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Said before and I'll say it again, everything you mentioned is literally not special. Talking about a community that looks at cgi rendered clouds, measures shadows, and again less than a few weeks ago was counting on furniture to hint at the next newcomer.

Ridley did had an important role in Subspace emisary alongside Ganondorf and Bowser(Clouds), Ridley's shadow in smash 4 performed a grab attack on pikachu, something that Boss Ridley can't do, and Background furniture can be a hint to a new Animal crossing character :V

now you can resume your pinapple conversations.

Untouch

Smash Master
Pardon me but I can't see anything Dragon Quest in that. Do I need to read between the lines or is this some kind of magic eye thing? Can someone fill in the blanks please?
  • There was some controversy surrounding the composer and his very conservative views before release.
  • It'd likely be nominated for Best RPG, and is one of the best rated RPGs so far this year.
  • It isn't explicitly Switch related. (as the game isn't on switch yet.)
  • It's a Japanese series.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Btw I'm fond of Wolf's claw animations. Glad he's back ( I was salty we got Falco but not him) but I hope he's better than he was in brawl.
That was one of my hopes for this game before we got the E3 info dump!
He looks really good from what we have seen so far.
King K. Rool has some zoning potential!

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
If I'm reading this correctly:

- A game franchise is being nominated as best in genre.
- Smash fighter will debut from that franchise
- DQ is being floated as the potential franchise, and thus source of the newcomer, presumably off the strength of DQ11 being baller as ****

So yeah, it's exactly some magic eye thing, inasmuch as it mostly makes sense if you stare at it hard enough to lose focus.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Ridley did had an important role in Subspace emisary alongside Ganondorf and Bowser(Clouds), Ridley's shadow in smash 4 performed a grab attack on pikachu, something that Boss Ridley can't do, and Background furniture can be a hint to a new Animal crossing character :V

Didn't say any were right or wrong. I mean they all were because the clouds also had Mewtwo. And don't get me started on the chairs = Isabelle. That's just fitting anything into your agenda of proving a dead theory (I understand your playing devil's advocate).

Anyway you just prove my point that Smash fans will always look at everything and anything and honestly a box isn't that out there. People just discredit it because it's not hype worthy.

...also what's with the pineapples I totally missed that lol.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman

There’s something about this all happening at once that I find tiring. These theories and ideas gain traction and support so much quicker than ever before, and it can be multiple all at once like what we are seeing now.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There’s something about this all happening at once that I find tiring. These theories and ideas gain traction and support so much quicker than ever before, and it can be multiple all at once like what we are seeing now.
Then just take a long nap, and the game will be out when you wake up :p

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
You must have a sad life to hate all of them
Ok but why Totodile and Oricorio specifically? I think there are much much much better and deserving Pokemon reps like Grovyle and Incineroar or Decidueye.
Still less than Pokemon
Debatable.

Why would I cut the sexiest character in my entire roster?
Game diversity. Xenoblade clearly has potential for more reps but you said "nope" and opted for Metal Face because?????

I don't think W101 did anything significant enough to warrant 2 unique movesets.
2 seems to be the max number of 3rd party series reps so that'll be my standard until said otherwise.
Nah, this game needs Revolver Ocelot
Understandable, have a nice day.

Bad taste
Akuma or riot tho.

The ****ing protagonist of Final Fantasy VI
Why not Noctis? Someone more recognizable maybe?

Not my fault you didn't play the best RPG series of all time or the second best tactical RPG of all time.
Subjective because I still don't know who these characters are or where they are from.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Furniture existing definitley wasn’t a hint at an Animal Crossing character.

D

Deleted member

Seems like just assumptions, unfortunately. They're using 'Nominated in a best of category' + 'well known franchise' to = Dragon Quest XI rep

While they could be true (and I would absolutely love it; especially if there were alts like the Koopalings for the Protagonists of DQ I, II, III, V, and VIII), this statement can apply to a lot of different things. Especially since they said right in there that the awards tend to favor 'Western' games.

The possibilities, I think (assuming they're right) are:
1) God of War (Kratos, more than Likely)
2) Monster Hunter World (character would probably just be called 'Monster Hunter')
3) Fallout 76 (Power Suit character or Vault boy thing....if this game ends up being nominated, that is)
4) Minecraft (Steve, probably...under the category of 'Best Ongoing' game)

Dragon Quest XI can probably be at least be in the nominations for Best RPG, so that's one way we could get a Dragon Quest XI rep and satisfy the Square rep...but it released in the West this year; its already been out in Japan since July of 2017, so I don't know if that counts.

Its a shame we can't get someone from last year's winner since apparently Persona 5 won best RPG for 2017.

For anyone interested in seeing last year's game awards and nominees, here's the link: http://thegameawards.com/awards/#game-of-the-year
Just scroll up slightly to select 'Category' to see which one you want or you can just keep scrolling down to see each category's nominations with the winner having a highlighted Yellow/Gold outline.

Again, though...this is all just assuming that what they're saying even holds water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
@Moydow
Never ask me for anything ever again.
View attachment 165502
This is completey 100% biased so I'd like to know how you'd all feel if I had free reign over the roster.

Notes: Dark Samus is the only decloned Echo. Team Rocket works much like Pkmn Trainer, their playable Pokemon are Meowth, Koffing and Arbok.
EDIT: fixed a mistake
Bowser Jr is there twice. King Boo is cool though Im more of a Captain Toad person.

I would replace Birdo with Ashley. I have no idea who the three after Tink are. Some questionable Pokemon decisions but you still put Mimikyu there and now all is forgiven.

I would probably die laughing if Doc Louis got revealed as a newcomer.

Untouch

Smash Master
Japanese release doesn't matter otherwise Persona 5 wouldn't have been nominated, even though DQXI was released too late to be nominated last year anyways.
I personally believe theyre just piggybacking off of Vergeben and posting obvious info and trying to weave it into a leak. I cannot possibly imagine how they'd get this info.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What stage would you live on?

And yes you will have to deal with all the hazards there.
The one with the least chance of killing me lol.

So I guess Skyloft (at least the background).

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If this ends up being similar to The Subspace Emissary, I'm gonna assume you'd unlock the DLC fighters in that mode similar to how you got Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link in Brawl. That or they're just added to your roster in that game.

Can't really see them updating the mode with new cutscenes.
Now wouldn't that be a nice surprise. Thinking about it...what if that is the case? I always found it weird when Sakurai stated 'We will show the DESIGN of every fighter before release.' I guess we just have to wait and see

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I cannot possibly imagine how they'd get this info.
I tried to find a good image to illustrate an ass pull, but Google Image Search has failed me.

You're stuck with the words.

What stage would you live on?

And yes you will have to deal with all the hazards there.
Smashville.

Balloons to pop, people to chill with in the stands, occasional concerts, and no hazards to speak of. Closest thing to a win-win I'd get.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been thinking about ARMS lately and Spring Man's inclusion in Smash. Although sales for the IP are great, the "dying" support and fanbase the game has this year compared to Splatoon 2 makes me wonder if Sakurai will have second thoughts on adding Spring Man as DLC. People say Spring Man's inclusion is obvious, but IDK. I am just keeping wary of the status of every Nintendo IP.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I have been thinking about ARMS lately and Spring Man's inclusion in Smash. Although sales for the IP are great, the "dying" support and fanbase the game has this year compared to Splatoon 2 makes me wonder if Sakurai will have second thoughts on adding Spring Man as DLC. People say Spring Man's inclusion is obvious, but IDK. I am just keeping wary of the status of every Nintendo IP.
Splatoon represents the new Wii U IP. ARMS represents the new Switch franchise.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Considering the ARMS dev team said it's too early for Smash, I don't think we're getting Spring Man anytime soon.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Yeah it doesn't really seem to have the fanbase Splatoon does

Some series die and still manage to have a huge active fanbase, like Golden Sun and Mother, I don't really see it here

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I would say DO not trust in LeakyPandy. He has been wrong all the time, so for him to comment about Smash not being the GoTY is just wrong.

Smash is the most hyped game. I don't see why that game wouldn't be the game of the year.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Counterpoint is that it could drive a second wind of interest in ARMS.

I don't see it either, but maybe they'll try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom