• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
An observation about DLCs:

-Sakurai said that the DLCs were chosen by Nintendo, suggesting that most DLC characters were Nintendo characters.
-Joker announced, a third party with little connections to Nintendo

-Sakurai said that Smash was once "Nintendo All-Stars" and now it extended beyond that concept with third parties and stuff
-Last character revealed is a third party (Joker), suggesting that the rest are likely third parties too.

What if the next character is a Nintendo classic character? They want to be unpredictable, they want every character to be a surprise.
First, they made us think that all the DLC characters were all Nintendo first parties, and they revealed Joker;
Now they are suggesting that all the DLCs will be focused on third parties, but instead...

As long as the new character isn't Movie Sonic.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ok, a little game.

You get in the game your most wanted, but when you play them your skill gets worse every 20 seconds, until the point that your reaction time is abismally slow. Your skill resets to base when the match finishes.
Layton, because Id sacrifice my already bad skill just to play as him

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Could you imagine The Sonic Movie being good and Detective Pikachu being mediocre? Long stretch but could you imagine?
I'd be stunned. I duly expect both to be bad. It's a video game movie which already dents its potential to be more than mediocre, and I doubt either will have good writing so that an adult can enjoy.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'd be stunned. I duly expect both to be bad. It's a video game movie which already dents its potential to be more than mediocre, and I doubt either will have good writing so that an adult can enjoy.
I'd wager that Detective Pikachu is actually pretty good (at least from what I've heard and how I personally feel about what's been seen so far), but The Sonic movie might go a biiiit too far. Even if the writing happened to be good and Carey was a great Robotnik, that Sonic is ... less unsettling, more insulting to my senses lol

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

-Sakurai said that the DLCs were chosen by Nintendo, suggesting that most DLC characters were Nintendo characters.

-Sakurai said that Smash was once "Nintendo All-Stars" and now it extended beyond that concept with third parties and stuff
-Last character revealed is a third party (Joker), suggesting that the rest are likely third parties too.

What if the next character is a Nintendo classic character? They want to be unpredictable, they want every character to be a surprise.
First, they made us think that all the DLC characters were all Nintendo first parties, and they revealed Joker;
Now they are suggesting that all the DLCs will be focused on third parties, but instead...

I feel like that's stretching it. They never suggested it was Nintendo characters only, and Sakurai said that in reference to adding the Belmonts, Ken, and now Joker in the game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I was playing Random Only matches online with my buds last night and realized I am entirely clueless when it comes to any of the Star Fox characters
:(

osby

Smash Obsessed

That would only happening if whole DLC marketing is designed to keep speculation community on its toes. Which isn't happening *ahemboxtheoryahem*

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Just cause Nintendo was picking the characters doesn't mean they'd all be first party. They'd definitely mostly be third party since they know that's where the most money will come from.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
if all t he smash brothers characters lived in the same house, who would share a room with who?
Snake and Samus (Zero suit or otherwise since they're literally the same woman) immediately come to mind because of the Everyone is Home comic being top quality

Kirby and Sakurai (he counts)

Mewtwo and Lucario share a cave. The Pokemon Trainers probably share a room (without their Pokemon out). The rest of the Pokemon, Duck Hunt, and Fox and Falco are in their own animal room in my headcannon Smash house.
Wolf is in a bar somewhere.

All of the princesses share a room and are starting to hate each other.

King Bowser, King Dedede, and King K. Rool share a room with only one throne in it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Damn, so not even Persona 5 is safe from the "Writing Curse" then?

Man, I really hope one of these days we see another Chrono Trigger-level or maybe even Mother 3-level of writing. Though, I think the latter is far more of a harder task, since Mother 3 pretty much is the one perfectly written game Nintendo has ever put out.
Late, but like, if you go on the internet you're bound to find any kind of opinion on any game, even Chrono Trigger or Mother 3.

Like, to me, Persona 5 is the greatest turn-based RPG I've ever played. That includes the writing. I don't have a problem with any of the palaces, nor the themes represented, or the pacing, or any of that. I like the dialogue. I like the scenarios. The game is spectacular.

And I'm sorry but ask an SMT fan for their Persona opinions and a lot of them who still feel burned are inevitably going to give you a negative response. There's no "Writing Curse".

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I mean the one thing I can say is that one of the palaces is kind of stupid.
Like, most of the palaces you visit are common places a thief would be, like a bank or a museum, but one towards the second half of the game is kinda dumb

Some people criticize the writing, but I don't think it's that bad. I think the concept of underdog kids getting back at society is really cool, and the protag's dialogue choices are amazing.
Yeah. I remember amidst all the love I was giving the game, THAT palace made me irritated. The whole rest of the game? Nah
That palace is probably the only thing keeping me from wanting to complete my NG+ 1.

But the rest of the game is charming enough for me.
I'm hoping a lot of that charm translates into Joker's moveset.

It's one of my favorite RPGs... ever.
If I had even an inkling (haha) that Joker would actually be in Smash, I would probably have betrayed Geno nearly immediately. I loved SMRPG and I love Geno but.... yeah

Like Flyboy said, it depends on who you ask really.
If anyone asked me how P5 was and was trying to decide whether or not to buy it I'd probably tell them to just go buy it and experience it themselves... immediately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultmario: "Ok so I think we should split rooms into twos. Samus, you'll stay with--"
:ultzss: "Sorry, already got a roomie"
:ultsamus: "..."
:ultmario: "Samus, that's your power suit..."
:ultzss: "I'm not Samus, she's Samus
I'm Zero Suit Samus."
:ultmario: "Samus, you can't just take your power suit and call yourself a new fighter."
:ultzss: "Like you're one to talk."
Written and Directed by Masahiro Sakurai

osby

Smash Obsessed
Late, but like, if you go on the internet you're bound to find any kind of opinion on any game, even Chrono Trigger or Mother 3.

Like, to me, Persona 5 is the greatest turn-based RPG I've ever played. That includes the writing. I don't have a problem with any of the palaces, nor the themes represented, or the pacing, or any of that. I like the dialogue. I like the scenarios. The game is spectacular.

And I'm sorry but ask an SMT fan for their Persona opinions and a lot of them who still feel burned are inevitably going to give you a negative response. There's no "Writing Curse".
Eh, I love Persona in general but I still think writing in some parts of the game was very weak, to the point of undermining the themes of the game in some parts.

But I still think it's a phenomenal game. A game doesn't need to be perfect to be great.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Eh, I love Persona in general but I still think writing in some parts of the game was very weak, to the point of undermining the themes of the game in some parts.

But I still think it's a phenomenal game. A game doesn't need to be perfect to be great.
I agree on your last point for sure.

It's just, like...it was to me.

Except I couldn't date Yusuke. That's my one legitimate major gripe with it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultmario: "Ok so I think we should split rooms into twos. Samus, you'll stay with--"
:ultzss: "Sorry, already got a roomie"
:ultsamus: "..."
:ultmario: "Samus, that's your power suit..."
:ultzss: "I'm not Samus, she's Samus
I'm Zero Suit Samus."
:ultmario: "Samus, you can't just take your power suit and call yourself a new fighter."
:ultzss: "Like you're one to talk."
Written and Directed by Masahiro Sakurai
Mario is so lucky to share his room with a doctor uniform and a bunch of unmarked pills.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I mean, some parts of the game WERE weak, but I didn't notice when I went through it because I was having tons of fun anyway. Besides in that one palace.
Whenever something weird came by I probably just thought it was neat anyway and moved on because the rest of the game was so good.

One of my least favorite tropes of video games EVER is dungeons that you need to keep going back to throughout the game.

And Mementos didn't bother me at all, strangely enough.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

if all t he smash brothers characters lived in the same house, who would share a room with who?
Shulk and Samus and all Shulk does is obsess over her suit and I like the idea of Shulk always trying to analyze it and see how it works

Link and Marth bc they're both posterboy Nintendo swordsmen and link 100% doms him

osby

Smash Obsessed

Persona 3 is my favorite game of all times and I would never recommend it to anyone. It has so many problems. Everyone's experience is different.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean, some parts of the game WERE weak, but I didn't notice when I went through it because I was having tons of fun anyway. Besides in that one palace.
Whenever something weird came by I probably just thought it was neat anyway and moved on because the rest of the game was so good.

One of my least favorite tropes of video games EVER is temples that you need to keep going back to throughout the game.

And Mementos didn't bother me at all, strangely enough.
That's all pretty much how I felt. Like I'm sure once I replay it (on Switch?? Switch???) I'll notice both the strong points and the weak points in greater clarity but at the time I was just so enamoured by every single part of it that anything that could be considered weaker I just kinda glossed over.
Persona 3 is my favorite game of all times and I would never recommend it to anyone. It has so many problems. Everyone's experience is different.
Man, I don't know. I want everyone to try all my favorite games. Including Persona 3! Portable! Female side! Specifically!

It's fun to play games with friends and recommend them stuff and see their reactions for that reason. Everyone gets something different out of them.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That's all pretty much how I felt. Like I'm sure once I replay it (on Switch?? Switch???) I'll notice both the strong points and the weak points in greater clarity but at the time I was just so enamoured by every single part of it that anything that could be considered weaker I just kinda glossed over.
I unashamedly had tons of fun with the social aspect too.

Contrary to my avatar, Ann was who I paired Joker with.
(Though I was going to go for Makoto in my second playthrough haha)

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
OKay LISTEN UP

I can't believe this but.... Smash 4 has less framedrops than Smash Ultimate and Smash 4's character IN game models look better and has more details and higher quality.

I'm hugely disappointed by this....

D

Deleted member

Hmm...You know, I think I should probably give the Persona games another shot one day. I'll replay them with a different perspective in mind.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Man, I don't know. I want everyone to try all my favorite games. Including Persona 3! Portable! Female side! Specifically!

It's fun to play games with friends and recommend them stuff and see their reactions for that reason. Everyone gets something different out of them.
I guess. Though I'd warn them about Tartarus and pacing, because those things can be a huge chore after you played later games.

Man, I can't believe I'm talking about Persona in a Smash thread and it's on-topic...kinda

D

Deleted member

I could see Villager being a good roomate with all the other kids too.
Marth would be thr mom of the house
Most pictures I see on pixiv are Link x Ike
Villager is a literal serial killer though
Little Mac and WFT would enjoy working out probably
Of course there's the obvious Ryu and Ken, they're friends aren't they?
Simon and Ike would arm wrestle all the time
nah man its all about that ike/richter ike doesnt deserve anyone worse then the best boy

osby

Smash Obsessed
OKay LISTEN UP

I can't believe this but.... Smash 4 has less framedrops than Smash Ultimate and Smash 4's character IN game models look better and has more details and higher quality.

I'm hugely disappointed by this....
What were you expecting? They need to work 8-player Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams in hand-held mode.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I guess. Though I'd warn them about Tartarus and pacing, because those things can be a huge chore after you played later games.

Man, I can't believe I'm talking about Persona in a Smash thread and it's on-topic...kinda
Oh, absolutely. I realize that to most people the Tartarus crawl isn't that fun. For me it was my chill bedtime game so that was fun for me, even the power leveling part, but my absolute favorite person in the world hated a lot of the more arbitrary Tartarus parts despite overall loving the game, so there's that. As long as people understand why I love a game, it's fun to share.

AND I LOVE SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE THERE BOOM BACK ON TOPIC GOTTEM I'M HAVING A GOOD TIME WITH WORLD OF LIGHT AND CLASSIC MODE AND I FINALLY GOT MY BOY RICHTER almost a shame I'm contractually obligated to become a Joker main as soon as he drops

D

Deleted member

What were you expecting? They need to work 8-player Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams in hand-held mode.
Someone: *plays Smash 4 1v1* *plays 8-player IC Smash on FoD*
The same person: "oh wow ultimate has more framedrops than 4???? Garbage!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom