• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't actually think he's likely, nor do I want him, but if there were a guy who was going to break the "no non-video game characters" rule, it would probably be Goku. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised.
It would be Mickey, or MAYBE Spongebob. Goku is third in line.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Wouldn't be surprised, most of the gaming titans are already in the game and it still seems doubtful we'll ever get characters from western IPs as playable fighters.
Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks we won't get western IPs in the roster

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At this point...
The only character I think is an extremely easy hard lock is Ryu Hayabusa.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think Western IPs are impossible.

After all, they already negotiated Shovel Knight and Shantae, no reason they can't do the same for a playable character. It's not like they're prejudiced or something.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
If we're going down that road, it would still be a Disney character: Scrooge (because DuckTales NES) or Mickey (because Epic Mickey).
But Bamco already has most of the rights to Goku

Nope. Nuh-uh, not gonna do it. Not gonna jump into the dumpster fire I lit.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don't think Western IPs are impossible.

After all, they already negotiated Shovel Knight and Shantae, no reason they can't do the same for a playable character. It's not like they're prejudiced or something.
Yeah, but there's a reason they chose for the biggest indie characters to be just an assist trophy and spirit, and I'd bet one of the reasons is because they're not from Japanese IPs. And, of course, because they're indie characters

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
You think now DLC Characters will be from less know games? since they used Joker as first announcement in such a big event...
Lol Persona is not a less known game series it's one of the biggest names in the JRPG genre market.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Lol Persona is not a less known game series it's one of the biggest names in the JRPG genre market.
He didn't mean it like that though. He meant characters that are not as big heavy-hitters as Persona

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I just want to congratulate all the Joker supporters in here. I never thought for a second he had a chance, but I'm glad to be wrong. I guess now I have to play Persona.

I guess this means characters like Travis, 2B, Phoenix, and especially Lloyd have a real chance now! I don't really care for any of those characters, but I recognize their legacy. The DLC pass is looking great!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, but there's a reason they chose for the biggest indie characters to be just an assist trophy and spirit, and I'd bet one of the reasons is because they're not from Japanese IPs. And, of course, because they're indie characters
Or simply because they're indie characters.

King K. Rool's design focuses mostly on the design made by Westerns; what reason are you implying? That it's hard to negotiate? Then simply get the guys who understand English to help, since negotiations can be hard even for non-playable characters.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
You think now DLC Characters will be from less know games? since they used Joker as first announcement in such a big event...
Hard to form a pattern from literally one event, but based on what Reggie said, it seems like the DLC is going to be medium-sized games that most people wouldn't expect to get a rep, but they are.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Or simply because they're indie characters.

King K. Rool's design focuses mostly on the design made by Westerns; what reason are you implying? That it's hard to negotiate? Then simply get the guys who understand English to help, since negotiations can be hard even for non-playable characters.
The Donkey Kong series isn't a western IP though. It's Japanese. And the reason they made K Rool that way is because it's true to his character. The only thing I'm implying is that I do not believe we'll get characters in the roster that are from western IPs, and will not believe it until I see it

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Shovel Knight to me, suggests that Sakurai is willing to work with Western franchises. I think that was the biggest hurdle for some characters.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Then your reason for Western IPs being extremely unlikely is the reason I have just shown can be fixed easily? Like with Shantae and Shovel Knight?
Just because it can happen, which I know it can, doesn't mean Nintendo will do it. And I'm not saying it's hard to negotiate. I'm sure it's easy to negotiate a western IP in the roster. All I'm saying is I don't think Nintendo wants to do that, since after 20 years it hasn't happened yet

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't if the World of Light is so difficult for me because it's harder than the other Adventure Modes, I'm bad at the game, or both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Shovel Knight to me, suggests that Sakurai is willing to work with Western franchises. I think that was the biggest hurdle for some characters.
Yeah I'm not doubting that. I know he works with western developers and whatnot. But just because they can put western IPs in the roster doesn't mean they will

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Just because it can happen, which I know it can, doesn't mean Nintendo will do it
But they already have, working with Western people on games and such.

I really don't see how a Western character's chances are so low, especially ones that Japanese fans have expressed interest in like Sans. Steve is also possible simply due to Sakurai's bias.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
But they already have, working with Western people on games and such.

I really don't see how a Western character's chances are so low, especially ones that Japanese fans have expressed interest in like Sans. Steve is also possible simply due to Sakurai's bias.
The reason I think it's low is because it hasn't happened yet. We don't have a western IP in the roster. It can happen, without a doubt, but in the past 20 years it hasn't happened yet. Sure there's a first time for everything, but don't you think if they wanted to do that they would have by now?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wonder when Joker will release honestly. Around PP? Maybe a month or so after?
I'd guess sometime in early Q2 next year. Joker's announcement is weird both for the fact that it was outside of a Direct/E3 and that it contained no gameplay footage. Even with Mewtwo we got a character model.

That said, if we got a Crash Bandicoot trailer and all it was was the guy in the Crash suit yelling outside of Nintendo's/NoA's headquarters I would be content for a long time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The reason I think it's low is because it hasn't happened yet. We don't have a western IP in the roster. It can happen, without a doubt, but in the past 20 years it hasn't happened yet. Sure there's a first time for everything, but don't you think if they wanted to do that they would have by now?
That "20 years" thing is unnecessary, we got first guest fighter ten years ago.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd guess sometime in early Q2 next year. Joker's announcement is weird both for the fact that it was outside of a Direct/E3 and that it contained no gameplay footage. Even with Mewtwo we got a character model.
But we already have gameplay:

That said, if we got a Crash Bandicoot trailer and all it was was the guy in the Crash suit yelling outside of Nintendo's/NoA's headquarters I would be content for a long time.
I don't even like Crash, but I wouldn't be mad at this.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Don't you think if they wanted to acknowledge Geno or SMRPG, or K. Rool, or other characters, they would've done it ten years ago instead of this year?

It's not a case of "lol we don't want to" and it's more a case of "okay let's add this character, the fans want him like some wanted Joker and he's cool" plus circumstances and characters that Sakurai felt was higher-priority.

Plus, you seem to insinuate they're biased against Westerns or something. That's not what's happening here, it's just coincidences and them selecting Japanese characters because most highly-loved characters happen to be Japanese.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I lost Shulk, I heard there is an option to retry under “Games and More”, but I haven’t seen anything pop up there, and it’s been hours since I lost to him?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I think it was Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 that had an idea I basically fell in love with.

The trailer starts with Crash Suit Guy yelling outside of NoA headquarters. The video quality is purposely reminiscent of a recording of a 90s game commercial. Suddenly, Crash sees some folks heading toward him...the mascot suits for Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Pikachu from the Smash 64 commercial. Crash then springs into action.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I lost Shulk, I heard there is an option to retry under “Games and More”, but I haven’t seen anything pop up there, and it’s been hours since I lost to him?
It's a little door thing at the bottom of the page in Games and More.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Don't you think if they wanted to acknowledge Geno or SMRPG, or K. Rool, or other characters, they would've done it ten years ago instead of this year?

It's not a case of "lol we don't want to" and it's more a case of "okay let's add this character, the fans want him like some wanted Joker and he's cool" plus circumstances and characters that Sakurai felt was higher-priority.

Plus, you seem to insinuate they're biased against Westerns or something. That's not what's happening here, it's just coincidences and them selecting Japanese characters because most highly-loved characters happen to be Japanese.
Either way, I don't think it's gonna happen, and I won't believe it until I see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom