• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All this talk about 3rd Party reps, but not enough people bring up Koei Tecmo getting a rep

>Sakurai not budging on that series until his hand is forced for this
Would not mind this.

Kinda, it got deconfirmed tough since nothing happened, not even a surprise mini direct
At least I would have expected to be disappointed at no F-Zero or Super Mario 3D World in a Direct, but literally nothing is worse.

Wait what?!
Didnt the datamine confirm Wave 4 would be the 3 mages and Hyness?
The trailer didnt announce those since we barely saw gameplay of them.
Pretty sure the trailer said you could control "all the Dream Friends", so I'm not sure why those four would be playable (unless a really huge menace is involved). I guess we'll have to wait and see then.

Hopefully not in 4 months.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
>Sakurai not budging on that series until his hand is forced for this
Would not mind this.

At least I would have expected to be disappointed at no F-Zero or Super Mario 3D World in a Direct, but literally nothing is worse.

Pretty sure the trailer said you could control "all the Dream Friends", so I'm not sure why those four to be playable (unless a really huge menace is involved). I guess we'll have to wait and see then.

Hopefully not in 4 months.
Luckily it drops on the 30th although the mages being added to the banner is pretty odd. They weren't on the Grinch leak after all

Noipoi

Howdy!
I pre ordered Smash, because how could I not? It looks amazing. But i've still got some extra game money. and I think it's going to Let's Go Pikachu.
It really pains me to say that.

On the one hand, I think it looks like a lame adventure filled with mobile game crap and I don't expect to have a good time at all.

On the other hand, Meltan.
11078_Pokemon_Meltan_1ce236c75d0c729b36da63c70a22312d.jpg

Decisions, decisions...

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Wanted to confirm the claims of CutieGwen about Nintendo giving a list of characters to Sakurai and Google response was this (wtf with Kirby pic lol):
karby.PNG

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I pre ordered Smash, because how could I not? It looks amazing. But i've still got some extra game money. and I think it's going to Let's Go Pikachu.

On the one hand, I think it looks like a lame adventure filled with mobile game crap and I don't expect to have a good time at all.

Decisions, decisions...
Or be a responsible adult and save it for the future? Or q fancy dinner? Granted my definition of fancy dinner is KFC but you get the idea

Noipoi

Howdy!
Or be a responsible adult and save it for the future? Or q fancy dinner? Granted my definition of fancy dinner is KFC but you get the idea
Number 1. I'm not an adult :p
Number 2. This is extra money I can afford to spend on stupid stuff. I've got my priorities in order.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Decisions, decisions...
I wish I was as lucky. Currently keeping as much money as posible to get all new amiibos.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wanted to confirm the claims of CutieGwen about Nintendo giving a list of characters to Sakurai and Google response was this (wtf with Kirby pic lol):
View attachment 176711
Don't know why Zebon of all things is in the search results.

Anyway, Nintendo told Sakurai who they wanted, and he decided whether or not he could make certain characters work. Not sure how many characters were suggested or if Sakurai actually got to choose who he wanted from their suggestions, but Nintendo is mainly responsible for the DLC we get.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Why do people want these ridiculous, "kitchen sink" rosters? If I was in charge of the roster, I'd still want to have a sensible, realizable roster that represents Nintendo well. There'd be a deep cut or WTF character or two for sure, but no anime, no 20 characters from one series, no cartoon dogs :facepalm:
I don't think that'd be the most interesting roster.
As for no anime..so no Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, etc?

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
So for those who own Amiibos, will you be using them to unlock characters right away or would you rather unlock them organically in the game. I'm personally in the latter camp.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Hey you know what, maybe Nintendo's doing us a favor. Who knows, maybe if it was for Sakurai those 5 DLCs would've been. Bob omb, Koopa, Goomba, Cheep Cheep and a Blooper :p
Hmm, saying that, I wouldn't mind a King Boo at all.. or Kamik :)

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Hey you know what, maybe Nintendo's doing us a favor. Who knows, maybe if it was for Sakurai those 5 DLCs would've been. Bob omb, Koopa, Goomba, Cheep Cheep and a Blooper :p
Hmm, saying that, I wouldn't mind a King Boo at all.. or Kamik :)
Or more KI and FE characters. :troll:

I know you’re mostly joking but I don’t really expect Ninty to be any better, for all we know they could make Pink Gold Peach playable.

As a separate slot.

Not an alt.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I don't think that'd be the most interesting roster.
As for no anime..so no Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, etc?
1) I meant literal anime, not the Smash "anime" complaints
2) Why is Metroid on that list? IS THERE A METROID ANIME NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT???

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Yeah man i'm not even a KH fan and i'd be stoked to see Sora in this game. Would be a huge moment akin to Cloud's reveal in Smash 4. Compare that to Dragon Quest who would be a "yeah, whatever" reveal for a lot such as myself.

The first DLC character needs to be the heavy hitter. Like what Mewtwo was in Smash 4. Engaging your audience and making them excited for the prospect of new, post-release content.
Agree, Sora would create more of a hype because he is seen as the character that is unexpected. And I agree Nintendo needs a strong opening DLC character, that would help fans grow excited about the other possible DLC's. Dragon Quest would be logical, but would not draw as much hype. Especially because it is not as popular globally, most of its sales come from the East. I can see Sora being the new Cloud, and getting same shocked, and excited reactions he received when he was added in.

And right now Square could really use the sales, it seems more misfortune has fallen upon them. In addition Tabata leaving Square Enix and FF15 DLC packs being removed and them losing 33million. Dissidia NT sold so bad, that Square Enix is releasing a free to play version in Japan to draw interest in the game. Also Kingdom Hearts Union X is being removed from Belgium due to loot box's. All of these things, added together are definitely hurting them. So I hope they did choose Sora and Nintendo allowed it, as that would be the representative they would make the most cross promotion and overall income from.

Last edited:

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
If Steve is in, I think his moveset could go one of two ways:
#1: His uniqueness is mainly in the ability to place blocks and set up redstone traps. He’d have a good equipment, enchanted Diamond sword, Shield, bow with tipped arrows and positive potions for drinking.
#2: IMO more interesting, at the beggining of a match you start with wood equipment. You still have blocks you can place, but you need to find materials in them and spend some time with the crafting table to get better equipment and like in minecraft, you have to get Steel equipment before getting the best one, Diamond. The blocks would be in a specific order, Diamond ore being the rarest. You could also place a Brewing stand and make potions, but that would make you vunerable for some time, just like Crafting weapons and armor. I think Steve could also have an XP gauge that fills up with damage taken and dealt and could be used to enchant weapons and armor. If Steve gets to having many potions and enchanted Diamond armor and weapons he’d be close to unstoppable, but he’d need to work his way up to that and be vunerable for a long time, so that would be difficult. If Steve loses a Stock, he keeps his equipment, so he doesn’t have to start over. For his final Smash I imagine building a Wither and riding it as it blasts the stage.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If Steve is in, I think his moveset could go one of two ways:
#1: His uniqueness is mainly in the ability to place blocks and set up redstone traps. He’d have a good equipment, enchanted Diamond sword, Shield, bow with tipped arrows and positive potions for drinking.
#2: IMO more interesting, at the beggining of a match you start with wood equipment. You still have blocks you can place, but you need to find materials in them and spend some time with the crafting table to get better equipment and like in minecraft, you have to get Steel equipment before getting the best one, Diamond. The blocks would be in a specific order, Diamond ore being the rarest. You could also place a Brewing stand and make potions, but that would make you vunerable for some time, just like Crafting weapons and armor. I think Steve could also have an XP gauge that fills up with damage taken and dealt and could be used to enchant weapons and armor. If Steve gets to having many potions and enchanted Diamond armor and weapons he’d be close to unstoppable, but he’d need to work his way up to that and be vunerable for a long time, so that would be difficult. If Steve loses a Stock, he keeps his equipment, so he doesn’t have to start over. For his final Smash I imagine building a Wither and riding it as it blasts the stage.
Steve has the potential to be such a fun and unique character. I know he's a bit divisive but I think Sakurai could run wild with him much like PP

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Agree, Sora would create more of a hype because he is seen as the character that is unexpected. And I agree Nintendo needs a strong opening DLC character, that would help fans grow excited about the other possible DLC's. Dragon Quest would be logical, but would not draw as much hype. Especially because it is not as popular globally, most of its sales come from the East. I can see Sora being the new Cloud, and getting same shocked, and excited reactions he received when he was added in.

And right now Square could really use the sales, it seems more misfortune has fallen upon them. In addition Tabata leaving Square Enix and FF15 DLC packs being removed and them losing 33million. Dissidia NT sold so bad, that Square Enix is releasing a free to play version in Japan to draw interest in the game. Also Kingdom Hearts Union X is being removed from Belgium due to loot box's. All of these things, added together are definitely hurting them. So I hope they did choose Sora and Nintendo allowed it, as that would be the representative they would make the most cross promotion and overall income from.
I fail to see how Sora is unexpected as people are talking so much about him.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So for those who own Amiibos, will you be using them to unlock characters right away or would you rather unlock them organically in the game. I'm personally in the latter camp.
Hm, interesting question. I like the idea of starting out with Kirby to save everyone. But I also like the idea of being R.O.B. and saving everyone in penance for Subspace Emissary. I do have his Amiibo.

I'll probably be getting the guidebook, so I'll see how long it takes to unlock R.O.B. and determine whether or not I use his Amiibo.

Unfortunately, there's no Dark Samus Amiibo yet, so I won't be unlocking her immediately.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I just realized I sitll haven't heard the Final Destination theme for Ultimate.

...what is it like?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Would Bethesda saying "Oh yeah." in response to if they've talked about Smash with Nintendo violate any sort of NDA?

Wanna know before I start really considering Dragonborn for DLC.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
am i the only person who would be super hype for kid icarus hades
The track will prob go up on the week of release.

EDIT: Oops quoted the wrong post lol. Here's the right one.
I just realized I sitll haven't heard the Final Destination theme for Ultimate.

...what is it like?

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
That guy must've been so important if he was the sole reason for that drop! Was his that important? or am I missing something here. His wiki says he's more on the business side than creative. Hmm, maybe they took that as a sign of company's instability, who knows?

Slime is vastly varient and if they used his Rocket Slime game, ohh you better expect a very neat final smash, something like K.Rool's. Also he'll attack by stretching.. hmm, you know what? I thought it was kinda weird. See, Sakurai love to reuse model animation mechanics. That Piranha stretch attack fits Slime so well, if used in reverse... hmm, maybe I'M looking into this too deeply XD

I'm not that well versed in Disney's business practices, so I can't tell for sure. I'm guessing though, they're stricter than both Nintendo and Square combined.
Tabata was the creative director and was in charge of the Lumninous project, by him leaving all of that money they put in the luminous project they lost a portion of it( if im not mistaken). Luminous is still in Square's possession, but they are now repurposing it for other projects. I almost positive Square's stock is going to take a hit. If that wasn't enough Square's game DIssidia NT sold so poorly they are releasing it for free to draw interest. Then their mobile game KIngdom Hearts X union was banned from Belgium( this isn't that big of a hit, but still). All of these things happening together may cause investors to question Square's practices and they may lose some stock.

Hmmm I guess I would have to see how he plays, maybe after seeing it ill join the hype train. The way your describing Slime and its potential move-set sounds interesting though. Haha yeah try not to dive to deep, people to this day are still convinced the purple and yellow chairs meant Waluigi or Skull kid were confirmed. Iv learned to try not to look that deep in the speculation side, when its starts getting to conspiracy stuff. I actully would be kind of hyped for Jade though, she would be the first naginata wielding character.

Disney can be a wild card in trying to predict what they will do. I mean them firing James Gunn after being so careful in their Marvel franchise decisions comes as a bit of a surprise. They can be strict when it comes to their actors and directors. And yet lenient in their game characters, such as allowing Square to take creative control of Sora. And not making any decisions regarding him without consent of Nomura and Square. Its hard to say what they are up to, but what we can say is they are always trying to make the best deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom