• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I sometimes sit back and giggle profusely at people who don't want Minecraft "on principle". Minecraft is actually an incredibly smart and original game, and although it is too mainstream and can be annoying, I have no doubt that Sakurai would find a way to capture the spirit of Minecraft that made it so popular in the first place. I don't know how Steve would work as a fighter: I didn't know how Incineroar, Isabelle, Bowser Jr., Pac-Man or the Duck Hunt Dog would work either, but they fit.

Minecraft has something about it that everybody can love, so putting it in Smash would be, as far as content goes, a very smart thing to do.

Now, Shrek on the other hand...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, that supposed Isaac item is pretty much just the sticky bomb but it continually heals you in short bursts. It's pretty weird, good for teams tho.
I wonder if it's possible to apply it to yourself?

Like if you throw it upwards then jump into it, would it stick to you?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Its just going to be in a Zangief situation. It wont have a lot of mobility, it has problematic recovery, it has no projectile, I mean, jeeze, It has one great move compared to its cons. Its not going to be a broken character when compared to its flaws. Its just one move.

Okay, how about we nerf its B special, but it gets Fox's speed and K. Rool's kill power?
I mean it has other good moves which is why I reacted that way

Speaking of, Revenge depends on the attack that activated it, and considering it's frame 3, don't risk laggy attacks that do big boy damage on it unless you want to get bodied by back throw or some ****

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You think he's gonna be top tier?
With that speed and awful recovery it would take a miracle for him to be top tier. He'd need very good setups and kill confirms, but if bringing him off stage handicaps him severely there's not much hope.

He has absolutely no vertical recovery.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
...No.

You have to play money or wait long periods of time to play Gacha Games.
Okay, that makes sense. I didn't quite understand what you meant at first, thanks for clarifying

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And I feel like this is an unpopular opinion, but story modes are the dumbest thing to want in a fighting game.
They're written poorly, they play poorly, they're extremely expensive and drain resources.
It's just a huge waste of time and money.
I agree except for Netherrealm games.

I genuinely enjoyed the story modes for MK9, MKX, Injustice and Injustice 2. Playing through the campaign and trading off the controller is a huge reason why my brother and I buy it day one. I can't think of another story mode in a fighting game I've ever enjoyed.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I hate the whole "relevancy" BS, which basically boils down to "X character hasn't been in a game for 10 years and, Piranha Plant and Y 3rd party character have, therefore both are better picks than X." Someone I know keeps saying "I don't want Isaac in the game because no-one played Golden Sun, gimme Minecraft Steve or 2B." He mains Marth and Cloud and yet neither has played nor has any intention of playing either of their games. This to me highlights the mindset of people who play Smash but not many other Nintendo games. You'd think sales and release dates would be the driving factors for how a character is received by the general public, but in the end, if the character is fun, they don't actually care who they are. So then why not try to use the roster to paint an accurate picture of Nintendo history? Isaac has had three critically lauded games (something you could argue Star Fox has not), just because the last one came out over 10 years ago doesn't change that, and therefore I think he deserves his place. Honestly, no matter what arguments I hear, I still don't think Piranha Plant was a good choice. I feel we already had a NSMB rep in Bowser Jr. & co., and that Goomba or Koopa were both more iconic and "relevant". I personally think PP was Sakurai and the team's cheeky response to having to make a pre-order bonus rather than a middle finger to fans, but that's a post for another day. If the "relevancy" argument were actually heeded, we'd have nothing but third parties and core Mario characters, and I don't think even casual fans would want that.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Does anyone know what WFT is trying to do in the trailer when she gets attacked by those beams?

D

Deleted member

My favorite "women in armor" design is the design where you can't even tell they're a woman when they're in full armor.
HAWT
I love how it was pulled on Pyro from Team Fortress 2.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
Banjo is looking less and less likely to be in smash. I'm not completely losing hope in him, but I'm going back to what I was supporting a few months ago and giving bandana dee some hope

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm warming up to Pirahna plant a little bit. As a one time joke character I can accept it I guess, and he does look fun to play. The stretching bite attack looks really satisfying to land. I'd still prefer just about any other character but I don't hate it like I did.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hiccup in Smash tho?
With Toothless as part of his moveset tho?
No, if Disney's gonna be a crudhead when it comes to Marvel VS Capcom, then we might as well need Dreamworks VS Capcom
I need to see a Mega Man vs Megmind matchup pronto

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Maaaaaaaaan, I just read some Japanese transcripts of reactions from the last Direct... I think the one that stood out to me most was:

"Your Twitter says you're half Korean. Smash is made for humans."

Like, god DAMN Japan, chill

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
*Gasp* You replaced ZSS with Ken in your signature!
Yeeeeeeeahhhhhh...

Gonna be real. I stopped playing her in Smash 4. I only made a gif for her because she's my one and only Brawl main. I don't like the heel design at all, and what made her fun in Brawl was the upB juggling for me. I'll still play her casually, but something about her design and new kit just isn't for me.

(Plus some guy called them my "waifus" and I felt a strong urge to replace someone with a guy.)

D

Deleted member

I agree except for Netherrealm games.

I genuinely enjoyed the story modes for MK9, MKX, Injustice and Injustice 2. Playing through the campaign and trading off the controller is a huge reason why my brother and I buy it day one. I can't think of another story mode in a fighting game I've ever enjoyed.
The Injustice 2 story mode actually just feels like an episode of Justice League. Neatherrealm games would sell nowhere near as well as they do if it weren't for their story modes.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So have we passed the relevancy talk?

Also I heard about Byleth being leaked as the fourth DLC character. Is that true?

kylexv

Smash Master
If I had to guess 5 DLC characters now, here's who I think they would be:

• Square Enix Rep
  • Steve
  • Lloyd or Heihachi
  • Elma
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Also, I know that last time this thread talked about it **** hit the fan but
How do you think Nintendo's gonna respond to criticism about Game and Watch's new Fsmash animation? Cause like, that **** is in poor taste, especially if you use the red skin for G&W. I don't think it was intentional at all but yikes
Um... what are you talking about?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Does anyone know what WFT is trying to do in the trailer when she gets attacked by those beams?
People are saying "her up-smash" or whatever because it has invincibility frames, and that's why she disappears later than most of the other characters. But in the same scene, Duck Hunt and Villager disappear at the same time, so that's not true.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maaaaaaaaan, I just read some Japanese transcripts of reactions from the last Direct... I think the one that stood out to me most was:

"Your Twitter says you're half Korean. Smash is made for humans."

Like, god DAMN Japan, chill
"Make Japan great again" hats????

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So have we passed the relevancy talk?

Also I heard about Byleth being leaked as the fourth DLC character. Is that true?
what in the name of sakurai is a byleth

Who exatcly is Katalina ? I'd like to heard about her if someone call fill me in.
A girl who looks like she's from Fire Emblem but it's mobile gachapon (AKA you either be a peasant and wait for things to happen or buy through everything with money like FE Heroes and Pocket Camp)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeeeeeeeahhhhhh...

Gonna be real. I stopped playing her in Smash 4. I only made a gif for her because she's my one and only Brawl main. I don't like the heel design at all, and what made her fun in Brawl was the upB juggling for me. I'll still play her casually, but something about her design and new kit just isn't for me.

(Plus some guy called them my "waifus" and I felt a strong urge to replace someone with a guy.)
Sakurai, what in the world made you think giving an already strong character jet boots was a good idea.

And completely made up ones at that!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Banjo is looking less and less likely to be in smash. I'm not completely losing hope in him, but I'm going back to what I was supporting a few months ago and giving bandana dee some hope
I actually think his chances are more likely than ever.
"Minecraft content" now has a above-average chance to be a Mii costume or some music or even a Spirit which comes alongside Banjo's foray in as DLC.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt that all of the DLC for this game will be leaked. There will probably still be a few surprises in store. Here's what hasn't been leaked the past 2 games:
  • Rosalina
  • Greninja (to an extent)
  • Robin and Lucina
  • Cloud
  • Corrin and Bayonetta
  • K. Rool
  • Every new echo fighter except Ken
  • Piranha Plant
What I'm hoping is that Nintendo learned from the Roy/Ryu datamine fiasco and will better hide upcoming DLC fighters within the game's code.
Piranha Plant was technically leaked. We just didn't know about it.
Lord of a Dead Empire is in Smash

(Can't hear it but it's the song name)
GIVE ME ROAD TAKEN YOU COWARDS
Also, I know that last time this thread talked about it **** hit the fan but
How do you think Nintendo's gonna respond to criticism about Game and Watch's new Fsmash animation? Cause like, that **** is in poor taste, especially if you use the red skin for G&W. I don't think it was intentional at all but yikes
Considering they gave Villager two black skins between E3 and now, I actually expect better from them now. Wouldn't be the first time Nintendo changes something with an update either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom