• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Until I see otherwise, im gonna fly by the rule that Spirits are a disconfirmation.

DLC predictions are a Square, Bamco, and Microsoft rep alongside 2 *new game* Nintendo reps. Most speculated newcomers that survived are likely buried as a spirit somewhere.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The next Mario rep being a ****ing Piranha Plant seemed improbable as well
He clearly doesn't care about over-repping Mario imo
Geno's dead, but not for that reason
Nothing's impossible, Audrey II proved that today.

I don't think he's likely for dlc, but i'm not gonna give up on Geno until the very end.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Man, I am rather disappointed from the Direct.

Its not the characters I am talking about (although I am disapointed at some characters on my being deconfirmed), its that removing trophies and replacing with stickers is a bad call. At the same time, there is no info about Target Test which is a real bummer. Finally, no demo is pretty much the most dissapointing moment for me. I have never play Ultimate and I recently bought a Switch, why I must wait for a month? Sakurai plz!

Otherwise the direct is an eh. Still, I hope for the best for Sora, Leon, Banjo, and Steve whom are currently alive. Maybe Geno can get a chance? Dunno.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
What exactly made Box Theory unbelievable again? I'm very curious
nothing....

although... i have to flaunt that i actually predicted that box theory was real but we were still getting #70 character as a last surprise. which is why i still though that isaac or geno or dante were posible....

But i never could even predicted the plant XD

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Oh my God, yes.
Her Samus Returns suit is such a good redesign (especially the gravity suit)
I was never a fan of the gravity suit before, but in Samus Returns, I love how the gravity suit actually intermingles with the gold and unifies the suit together with the glowing blue lights. Really makes the whole thing come together. If this was a DLC costume I would've bought it ten times over.
FINALLY someone gets it! While ZSS is definitely my biggest point of contention, I feel utterly robbed on so many other levels. Some people are upset because their characters didn’t get in. I’m upset because my favourites DID get in but they just don’t look right to me.

D

Deleted member

I think there's gonna be a lot of secrets like bosses to replace characters no longer being secret
God I hope so. I don't really care much for the fighters now as I'm pretty satisfied but I'll ne REALLY disappointed if they don't explore bosses at all.
At the very least, Golden Sun got a new track...
I think.

Was that BGM that played over his assist reveal new or is it a Brawl theme I forgot?
It was the one that had been present in Norfair until now, yeah. Wonder in what stage it'll be playable, I always enjoyed it.
It also makes me a little more relieved on the possibility of the TW101 tracks being removed.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
i dont get the whole hypest character MUST be revealed last when that's never been the case

Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, Ridley and K Rool are the hypest reveals of their respective games and none of them were last

also hype is different for everyone for me my most anticipated came out today
In Melee it was a Smash OC based on ancient games nobody who owned a GameCube would have access to.
In Smash 4 it was a non-playable character from a game packaged with North American NES, best known for the Zapper.
And now Ultimate it is a Super Mario enemy that wouldn't make the top 5 most iconic minions from said series.

Yeah people expecting a blow out to seal the deal aren't going to be too pleased.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
If the work with the trophies is too much.... Just less trophies, a better selection. There were complains about the absurd selection before. But at least of the fighters and items...
Anyway. Somebody look at the ABSURD range of some of the piranha plant attacks? And a great recovery. Top Tier, ultimate trolling.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Thought occured to me, when we saw Steve (YES I AM STILL CALLING HIM THAT)'s final smash it wasnt turning into Petey.. It was behind him floating almost ghostlike...

Now someone set that final smash to this!

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I really thought that sprout might've been that Golden Sun item, and I know others thought the same. And that tweet that looked just like a Golden Sun battle too. Poor Isaac fans...

At least being an at is better than not being here at all.
Yeah: being revealed as an AT may sting now, but it's going to prevent unrealistic expectations and dashed hopes over the next year. It'd be nicer for Isaac fans if his AT was revealed earlier, though - least Ashley fans have had time to get over it
and at least his AT wasn't just unceremoniously dumped on the blog

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Honestly my biggest pet peeve about Pirahna is not the character itself but the hypocrisy of SOME fans.

People said Waluigi couldn't get in because he does have real fans, he is just a meme character, and he didn't have any real potential. Now that Pirahna is in a lot of those same fans are praising Pirahna for the same things that they criticized Waluigi for.

Not saying that Pirahna took Waluigi's spot. I didn't think Waluigi was as likely as people made him out to be.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Man, I am rather disappointed from the Direct.

Its not the characters I am talking about (although I am disapointed at some characters on my being deconfirmed), its that removing trophies and replacing with stickers is a bad call. At the same time, there is no info about Target Test which is a real bummer. Finally, no demo is pretty much the most dissapointing moment for me. I have never play Ultimate and I recently bought a Switch, why I must wait for a month? Sakurai plz!

Otherwise the direct is an eh. Still, I hope for the best to Sora, Leon, Banjo, and Steve whom are currently alive.
No demo was the biggest let down for me too. If we do get one (which seems less likely now) then it will be after Wendy’s tailgate tour, which ends on the 27, only ten days before release.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Until I see otherwise, im gonna fly by the rule that Spirits are a disconfirmation.
would like to have a word with you.

If trophies weren't a reconfirmation before, why would spirits, which are even easier to incorporate since they use recycled art, be any different?

skullkidfordlc

Smash Rookie
I had to accept something today... (BLANK) is never getting in...

...Nope, not in Ultimate'S limited DLC or in Ultimate Plus Deluxe or in Smash Infinity Forever VR. For me it's Skull Kid. I have placed him as my #1 most-wanted newcomer since before Melee. After Melee, Brawl, and 4 left him in the cold, I got the hint. And yet this perfect storm still convinced me that he may have had a chance. I saw all the signs pointing towards his inclusion. Yet, it wasn't so. I could convince myself he'll come with DLC, but he won't. Out of only 5 characters left, Skull Kid just isn't important enough. It breaks my heart to see him deconfirmed. It also makes no sense to me why Sakurai waited until last minute to de-confirm some of the biggest fan favorites? Why not have shown off Skull Kid, Shadow, etc as assist trophies in the August direct? It just felt inevitable that we'd get Skull Kid and Shadow. Shadow - maybe one day. But Skull Kid...? Nope. Not happening. If he couldn't get into Ultimate, he's never getting in. DLC will be 5 high-profile 3rd party reps and even with a sequel or reissue, he faces tough odds against many other fan heavy-weights and has decreasing relevancy each passing year. Alas, today I officially let the dream die. I promise to myself to never allow myself to believe Skull Kid is in. May Skull Kid RIP.

Who is your character dream RIP? Who do you love that you only now can accept will never make it in for whatever reasons? Isaac? Chibi-Robo? Banjo? Geno? So many fan favorites have so much stiff competition going forward. Who will you never let yourself hype for again?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Also, for people saying that Spirit isn't a deconfirmation, I'm at my third watch of the direct and This is what I can take out of it

"The Super Smash Brothers series is one massive crossover at heart, and we want to create something more: a way to enjoy characters other than fighters. [...] Here's what we came up with. They're called spirits."
Then people called about Characters like K.Rool or Wii Fit trainers having Spirit meaning it's not a deconfirmation however, after more viewing...

It is not the playable Characters themselves

King K. Rool's in his pirate outfit, And smash made the clear distinction between the two-
Ridley is Meta Ridley.
And Palutena is Psuedo Palutena.

And Wii Fit trainer isn't the spirit of the Characters. But the spirit of the Yoga Pose. Just like Smash 4's trophy

Because think about it. It makes no sense to have spirit of the Playable Characters when the whole point of the spirit mode/ Adventure mode is having the spirit CONTROLLING the playable Characters/taking over them.

Take this as you will. But it's all I can find so far after watching it three times.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I really thought that sprout might've been that Golden Sun item, and I know others thought the same. And that tweet that looked just like a Golden Sun battle too. Poor Isaac fans...

At least being an at is better than not being here at all.
Honestly I'd argue being not there at all is better because it at least gives you a chance to be DLC. Assist Trophy is a flat out deconfirmation.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Geno hasn't been deconfirmed as far as I'm aware. Isn't the player icon all that was seen of him in the Direct?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If the work with the trophies is too much.... Just less trophies, a better selection. There were complains about the absurd selection before. But at least of the fighters and items...
Anyway. Somebody look at the ABSURD range of some of the piranha plant attacks? And a great recovery. Top Tier, ultimate trolling.
From what I'm assuming, you have a Spirit's collection, which basically means you have a Trophy gallery, but instead of eyeing at 3D models you're looking at 2D images. I don't think much has changed.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I had to accept something today... (BLANK) is never getting in...

...Nope, not in Ultimate'S limited DLC or in Ultimate Plus Deluxe or in Smash Infinity Forever VR. For me it's Skull Kid. I have placed him as my #1 most-wanted newcomer since before Melee. After Melee, Brawl, and 4 left him in the cold, I got the hint. And yet this perfect storm still convinced me that he may have had a chance. I saw all the signs pointing towards his inclusion. Yet, it wasn't so. I could convince myself he'll come with DLC, but he won't. Out of only 5 characters left, Skull Kid just isn't important enough. It breaks my heart to see him deconfirmed. It also makes no sense to me why Sakurai waited until last minute to de-confirm some of the biggest fan favorites? Why not have shown off Skull Kid, Shadow, etc as assist trophies in the August direct? It just felt inevitable that we'd get Skull Kid and Shadow. Shadow - maybe one day. But Skull Kid...? Nope. Not happening. If he couldn't get into Ultimate, he's never getting in. DLC will be 5 high-profile 3rd party reps and even with a sequel or reissue, he faces tough odds against many other fan heavy-weights and has decreasing relevancy each passing year. Alas, today I officially let the dream die. I promise to myself to never allow myself to believe Skull Kid is in. May Skull Kid RIP.

Who is your character dream RIP? Who do you love that you only now can accept will never make it in for whatever reasons? Isaac? Chibi-Robo? Banjo? Geno? So many fan favorites have so much stiff competition going forward. Who will you never let yourself hype for again?
Ridley =P

Seriously he was though.

D

Deleted member

Alright, so who here wants me to start the Isaac meme train?

#JustPlayGoldenSun

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah: being revealed as an AT may sting now, but it's going to prevent unrealistic expectations and dashed hopes over the next year. It'd be nicer for Isaac fans if his AT was revealed earlier, though - least Ashley fans have had time to get over it
and at least his AT wasn't just unceremoniously dumped on the blog
As a huge Ashley fan myself (she was my number one), I got over it after about one minute.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Its been quite a ride, so looking forward to playing this game on December 7th.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
would like to have a word with you.

If trophies weren't a reconfirmation before, why would spirits, which are even easier to incorporate since they use recycled art, be any different?
Not to mention that the Mewtwo case is because Sakurai didn't think he was wanted, people kept asking for him at E3, so Sakurai was like "Welp, better get to work," despite him not being originally planned and already existing as a trophy.

What strikes me as odd is that this time, Sakurai had the ballot. How'd he miscalculate on Isaac, at the very least?

NNN

Smash Cadet
I've been thinking one thing.
In the direct, they said every DLC would be 1 fighter + 1 scenario + music.
Do you think this, for example, deconfirms Paper Mario since there's already a Paper Mario stage?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ok, but real talk, is Rex truly deconfirmed?

The Rex/Xenoblade portion Direct was the most "I'm sorry, hope this can be a compromise" we've ever gotten from Sakurai. Sakurai knew the demand for Rex and Rex got an entire segment and an official explanation in the Direct (not just some interview) on why he wasn't in. Rex's costume is also by far the most detailed Mii Costume, with an animated Gramps and vfx on Pyra's Blade. The Japanese fans are pissed that Rex isn't in, he was one of their most speculated newcomers.

The whole situation just seems odd. Sakurai loved XC2 and there was fan demand for Rex, but Rex & Pyra are Spirits, and Rex's Mii Costume seems like a "try again next time" thing like Inklings, Chrom, K. Rool, and Isabelle in Smash 4.

And what the hell is going on with DLC? DLC was apparently already planned with the project plan back in 2015? Why limit yourself like that if you aren't going to develop post-release anyway? Who will they have now that we
  1. Can't have any new Switch characters
  2. Can't have old fan favorites like Isaac, Geno, Dixie, etc. since many are now Assist Trophies and Spirits. (Assuming Spirits are deconfirmations)
Like, is DLC just going to be third-parties? Because that seems like the case with all of these Assist Trophy and Spirit deconfirmations. A Dragon Quest rep would be cool and I suspect people will still gun for Banjo, but what else is there?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Get ready for some good **** today. I'm so ready to comment on everything! While I don't think it was the greatest Direct, I'm very excited about a lot of the stuff.

First, the elephant in the room. Box Theory, which I told almost literally everyone to think about, was proven to be correct today. Not music theory, not blog theory, not the Grinch Leak. The Box Theory.

A lot of the time where I said it was possible, I was met by arguments that didn't actually address the structure or art of the box itself besides "It can be changed", and really the only reason that was used as a counterargument was because people didn't want to believe that yes, that was the final design. Other times, I was disrespected and called stupid for it. I'll remember that, and that's partially what I'm commenting on now.

Expectations were high for characters for this Direct. The Grinch leak, not Nintendo or Sakurai, raised expectations. Sakurai told us to not expect as many newcomers as previous games. People who were called "insiders" said that it was fake. the Box Theory was based on that premise of "we're not getting as many characters as you think". Conversely, the Blog theory expected more characters. The Music theory seemed to suggest characters that people wanted. The Grinch leak suggested we'd almost double the amount of newcomers.

All involved getting more characters. That's what a seemingly hungry majority wanted.

Folks, I'm not really here to say "I told you so". That would be great if I did that, for me anyway. But that doesn't change anything. Smashboards became Saltboards for at least a little while. I'm not even in it to be "right", i'm in it to talk Smash Bros, and talk Smash Bros I have.

Going forward, with DLC, please listen to the people who have done this before. It doesn't mean you have to think the same way, but don't discount "insiders" or veteran community members just because you don't like what they have to say. I've been frustrated beyond belief when I see some users try to say something, and they're immediately overshadowed by people who think they're crazy, simply because you guys "want more".

The nonsense with #TeamReal and #TeamFake has led to not really much of a "Wow, dumbass" type conversation", but it seems like anger/frustration toward the roster.

1) We've known about Ken and Incineroar for month, from a person who was right about Smash before that
2) YOU are responsible for what you get hyped for. Grinch Leak was never confirmed by anyone, yet many still chose to believe it because it's what they wanted.
It's not entirely over yet, we still have DLC. But please, don't approach everything the same way.

Now, onto the actual content of the Direct.

Ken- is about what you'd expect from an Echo, but he's almost even less of an echo that Chrom is. It's pretty cool imo

Incineroar- I don't know why anyone could possibly be upset. He looks FREAKING AMAZING. They characterized him so incredibly well, and his moveset is beyond unique. Incredibly excited to try playing him.

Pirahna Plant- Ok, what the ****? I mean it's awesome, and I was bamboozled at first. However, I've already come around to it because it's a total troll pick, and it proves yet another fan rule wrong. I really think this changes the game in terms of character picks.

Disconfirmations:

Shadow- O O F. Shadow seems like the Echo Fighter, but alas it wasn't meant to be. He could've been pretty cool, but I'm not entirely heartbroken.

Isaac- This one stung, but only because of the Grinch leak. I didn't expect him in when Box Theory was a big deal, and while it upsets me that he probably has no shot as DLC, I am glad to see he's back and is still a part of what makes Nintendo so great. I've only played the original Golden Sun, but I'd love to see more, quality titles from it.

Rex Mii Fighter Costume- Now, at first I was nearly devastated. Rex was one of the characters I was extremely hyped for, because I thought he'd be right up there in the "Pretty much obvious DLC" tier. However, one way to take Sakurai's words was that the DLC may have been decided prior to the development of the game itself, because they knew they wouldn't have time. If the scheduling turns out that way, and Rex wouldn't have had a shot at being playable DLC in the first place, then I can deal with having a Mii that looks like Rex, almost sounds like Rex, and can fight like Rex. I can deal.

Spring Man- Wow. Didn't expect that one at all. However, he seems to fit the role of Assist Trophy quite well. I'm glad ARMS has the chance to have some sort of representation, so I'm willing to deal with it.

Also, one last thing on characters, I'm surprised Geno survived, and I say that because I don't take Spirit appearances as disconfirmations. I don't really know that Rex is hard deconfirmed, but I doubt they'd give him an outfit if he was going to be playable eventually.

I'll talk about DLC picks at another time, but all I will say is that I am beyond excited for this game. It's easily already set up to be one of the greatest games ever created, and boy am I glad to call myself a Smash fan.

I may not have made all the same decisions as Sakurai, but I respect that man for what he does and appreciate him for all the enjoyment he has brought this particular gamer.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
If I'm gonna be honest the only things I really truly liked was Piranha Plant and Story Mode.
Ken and Incineroar are literally the most "Yeah there they are" characters we could've gotten. Not only were they just inherently obvious picks but so many leaks had one or both of them.
The rest of the direct was completely underwhelming, esp with how much time was taken up by Spirits.
Tack all of this on with my two most wanted (Chibi-Robo and Rex) getting shafted for ****ing Mii Costumes with clearly no hope for them to be DLC, on top of other characters I wanted getting yeeted on and the lowkey infuriating practice of "We're not gonna show you the DLC characters but we super duper promise they'll be worth it" and this direct was just kind of a mess.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I've been thinking one thing.
In the direct, they said every DLC would be 1 fighter + 1 scenario + music.
Do you think this, for example, deconfirms Paper Mario since there's already a Paper Mario stage?
There could always be another Paper Mario stage though. The one we have now is based off of Sticker Star if I’m not mistaken. It wouldn’t hurt to see another stage based off of the older games of the series.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
It almost makes me wonder if Isaac had too much move set potential. Maybe Sakurai thought he couldn't do him justice as a fighter. Or the only thing he likes about Isaac is the *make giant hands do things* abilities. After all, we know how much Sakurai loves GIANT HANDS.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
As a huge Ashley fan myself (she was my number one), I got over it after about one minute.
Same, I just thought hey look at all these great characters we did get and King K Rool is freaken here! Oh and its not so bad having Ike with his yellow cape as a Substitute Isaac and he even does a Psynergy move, its called Eruption.. Oh and btw Eruption is one of Agatio's moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom