• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I mean, is it really that implausible to assume he does, though? Not all of his fans, but definitely certain parts of the fanbase.
No. He does not "hate" his fans. He and his team, like any other game developers, try very hard to make a game they hope people will enjoy. Unfortunately, it is literally impossible to please everyone and people react to things waaaaay too strongly and take the tiniest of things way too personally.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can we petition to have Piranha Plant replace Fox on the top right of the website? :4pacman:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
To me getting in the base roster was the ONLY way Geno was getting in, but now its not happening cause obligatory Sora.

( Sakurai please, don't retire without getting your puppet boi in )

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
It's actually real simple! Once you get the physical copy you have to hit plus over the game (on the Switch home menu), go to "My Nintendo Rewards Program" and hit "Earn points". It'll basically sync the game to your account and recognize that you own it. Then it'll email the code for the plant to the email associated with your Nintendo account.
The main issue I see is later down the line, how is anybody gonna play him at tourneys/lans???
Unless we get early switch consoles, not everyone will have access to the plant. This makes setups a lot harder to find, not to mention having to unlock a vast cast. Locking a FIGHTER to an “event time” is a very very poor route imo. Time locks should be saved for cosmetics such as costumes.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
When the characters people are most mad about being excluded on a roster of seventy-four are a supporting one-off character from a 20+ year old game, a character that hasn't been playable or prevalent in fifteen years, and a character owned by a direct competitor... kinda speaks to the quality of the roster.
I mean, all of those characters (except for Isaac, but even that's arguable) still have a chance for DLC, and I'm gonna make a bold statement and say Geno WILL be DLC, so it's not all bad
All that's gonna change is that BestGuyEver will have to find a longer song to use when he makes his video for Geno since he'll have to include this Direct in it

LetterO

Smash Lord
Seeing so many potential fighters being relegated to spirits is the second biggest tragedy after the AT massacre tbh. Karate Joe and Chorus Kids aren't even good enough to be an AT, let alone a fighter, for example...let that sink in.

Really shows how low Sakurai thinks of some characters.

Ik, ik, be grateful they're even in the game and all that, yes, but still...putting them in as spirits is honestly a rung below AT in terms of importance, and ATs are already a middle finger to whatever character's fanbase. Making them a spirit only is like...two middle fingers.

I know that's not how Sakurai sees them. He probably sees it as "you plebians should be grateful they're even in the game at all" kind of thing. But undoubtedly it's how most people are probably going to see them, and at the least, it shows Sakurai couldn't be bothered to or just flat out didn't want to make a moveset for them.
Being a spirit is not deconfirmation. Mewtwo was a trophy in Smash 4 before DLC. Also someone on the Smash reddit said K. Rool was a spirit.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
Now that Nintendo is using the modern concept of a DLC pass, maybe they'll use the "GOTY" concept too for the budget minded.

I've bought tons of games with all their DLC for reduced prices by waiting. I hope Nintendo does this.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
The main issue I see is later down the line, how is anybody gonna play him at tourneys/lans???
Unless we get early switch consoles, not everyone will have access to the plant. This makes setups a lot harder to find, not to mention having to unlock a vast cast. Locking a FIGHTER to an “event time” is a very very poor route imo. Time locks should be saved for cosmetics such as costumes.
Perhaps the limited time thing is it being free and you can buy it later?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To me getting in the base roster was the ONLY way Geno was getting in, but now its not happening cause obligatory Sora.

( Sakurai please, don't retire without getting your puppet boi in )
I mean, Geno is still a Mii Costume, isn't he?

Iridium

Smash Hero
The funniest thing about the banner to me was that after all this time, :ultwario: was still terrified by a Pokémon anyway. Just, wow.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Right now it seems like Piranha Plant was simply the blow-out DLC, where they could just go nuts, hency why he's free starting out

We'll need to see Wave 1 DLC to see if that's the case.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's safe to assume you'll still be able to buy it normally via the eshop after the period for which it is free.

Arcsys games like Persona 4 Arena, Guilty Gear, and Blazblue do similar things to this.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
My argument is that what makes a "good pick" is extremely subjective. Joke characters bring with them a certain charm and personality to the game, and help bring diversity to the roster. Having one new joke character isn't that comparable to dedicating all of the DLC to one franchise.

It's fine if you don't like Piranha Plant, not everyone should be expected to like everything, but it's not like his inclusion is some sort of crime like people are making it out to be. Personally I'm more hyped for him then any other newcomer barring Ridley.
It is comparable though. Even though the differences between the two are big the reaction towards it will be largely the same.

No matter what, New Character=Hype. Even with the more controversial characters like Corrin it was still the same.

People can enjoy their random joke characters, I'll just be in the minority of people who doesn't get excited over it just because it's funny.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Being a spirit is not deconfirmation. Mewtwo was a trophy in Smash 4 before DLC. Also someone on the Smash reddit said K. Rool was a spirit.
Good points. Although K Rool having a spirit means that a good chunk playable characters probably have a spirit or two.

For those characters who are only going to be spirits though, I think my analysis still readily applies.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
He sucks?

Well you suck for having a terrible argument because I gave plenty of reasons why Lucario isn't irrelevant. Come at me again when you can type up better arguments than five year olds saying "he sucks".

So if Geno AND Banjo makes DLC, who do you expect to see first? I'm gonna go with Banjo just to troll us a bit before showing Geno
**** off ****, weirdo taking video games way too seriously. you need to get laid dude

Last edited:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
There are people who are saying it's meant to be a **** you to the fans, and you know, they might be right.
Over the past week and over the last few thousand pages, have we not learned to not assume drastic ****?

Their pick didn't get into the base roster. It's not due to malice on the part of the devs. Go with a "profit" perspective. Go with a "made for the fans" perspective. I don't really care.

Nintrendo

Smash Cadet
It doesn't seem like it, which is a real shame.
Honestly with nintendo basically saying they want to support their games with a lot of dlc it makes sense for either a second season or things similar to the plant where its just standalone maybe being one of the first online people things like that

Potato_

Smash Lord
Here's my character roster for Ultimate:

Combination of my highly anticipated (Ridley, Chrom, Ken), my Smash 4 mains (Robin and Bowser Jr.) and my Brawl Main (Snake).

Link was a character that I always played around with but never seriously considered as a main. BOTW Link however seems interesting enough to at least try.

Gonna have a lot of labbing to do once the game comes out to figure out who feels right! Ganondorf is also looking pretty interesting...

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be surprised if the VGA awards is where our first DLC newcomer from the season pass is announced. If I had to take a guess at who it is, probably the rumored SE rep or Steve/Banjo.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well, at the very least we can no longer be annoyed at the guy behind the Ken play-tester leak for not giving us a more surprising character for his efforts.
There wasn't exactly a whole lot else to chose from. :troll:

Potato_

Smash Lord
They confirmed on the site it'll be available for purchase once the deal ends. Basically another Mewtwo situation.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i see we are still at the point where people are telling others they cant be disappointed in the new characters cause reasons. Look I get that some big fan requests got in but that doesnt mean everyone is happy with who all got in

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yiga Clan Miis should at least be neat. Probably my favorite new costume so far for sure.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'm still a bit wary of the inclusion of HRC and Stage Builder.

We didn't see them in the direct, but I hope that doesn't mean they're cut.

Some of my favorite modes in both Brawl and Wii U.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Well, at the very least we can no longer be annoyed at the guy behind the Ken play-tester leak for not giving us a more surprising character for his efforts.
There wasn't exactly a whole lot else to chose from. :troll:
if incineroar got leaked that'd have been even worse since it'd mean the last "surprise" Was an echo

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's only free for a limited time.

Piranha Plant can be bought afterwards.

edit: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
Yes, those are subjective statements. It's not "twisting his words" if they're vague. And they have to be vague. He can't say, "I hope you're only expecting six unique newcomers." That's an objective statement. As for "few" it's better to undersell than oversell. Obscuring the characters at the initial reveal was genius--made people think there'd be cuts, only to not cut anybody. If he wanted people pleasantly surprised, he should have left the possibility open that we'd get no characters after King K Rool, only to be pleasantly surprised there were more.

Again, I was sold at E3 with every character coming back. That was much better than the Smash 4 port I was expecting. But I also have to be honest that none of the new content interests me--none. That's not Sakurai's fault, though--that's just bad luck. It's a great game--but people are allowed to their own opinions and expectations.
if those statements are vague to you then yeah i don't really know what to tell you. go stew in your disappointment and please stop falling for dumb, blurry leaks again.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
The plant lad will be available later down the line as open DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom