• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Waluigi is a big one. He was created as a throwaway character that's sort of morphed into something else entirely. Shantae, Bandana Dee, and Spring Man have that potential too if they don't make this game. Isaac, Skull Kid, and Banjo are more, again, if they get snubbed here. Shovel Knight, Ashley, and Takamaru are all characters that are prime for promotions too.
What about Dixie?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So 5 more including echoes? It's *possible* but honestly I'm expecting 3-4 max, if box theory is wrong. Whenever we've tried to nail down a pattern based on blog fighter reveals, it always seems to get thrown off by 2 or 4 character weeks. But I really hope it's 5 so box theory can get ****ed :smash:
Do note that 5 is the maximum though, which I pointed out. It could be lower based on how many weeks we get with only 2 fighter updates.

And while box theory is not confirmed or denied, it does indicate that 2 is our minimum.

So basically, any leak with more than 5 is more than likely wrong because of the damn blog, of all things. :p

5 newcomers also fits with Sakurai's statement on slowing down pace for newcomer reveals, ever so slightly. Since 5 in two months is technically a slower pace than 6 in two months, so it truly is the best case scenario. :p

Last edited:

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
I think it's probably because the series has been dormant for a while, but it's not really old enough to be a retro rep?... idk that's just my theory...
I think like most of the roster is retro according to this definition
Retrogaming, also known as classic gaming and old school gaming, is the playing or collecting of older personal computer, console, and arcade video gamesin contemporary times. Usually retrogaming is based upon systems that are obsolete or discontinued.
but then idk what meaning of retro is, if this is true definition then Greninja and Isabelle isn't even a retro character yet as she debut in 3DS and it's still supported

SonicMario

Smash Master
Quick thoughts and theorizing on how the blog can sublty give us the amount of newcomers left.

View attachment 169490

This. of course, assumes that the blog keeps doing its average of 3 characters per week.
Don't forget that Tuesday Nights/Wednesdays has practically been the only day we can confirm for sure what we're getting (For the exception of a direct being on that day. Since I think Simon's blog post went up the day of the direct, actually looks like K. Rool's did too) since it's Music + a Stage.

So that's 7-8 days we won't get a character up. So that leaves only 32-33 blog days to put up the 19 veterans + whatever is left of the newcomers. Assuming we do get all character blog posts before the game releases, that's 13-14 days for presumably any echoes left in the game (Unique newcomers post E3 go up the same day of the direct) and non-character updates.

I forgot where we are currently are on Items, Pokemon and/or Assists that still need to have their blog post. May need a refresher on that. Hell, things from Spirits may get blog updates once that's finally revealed for all we know.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Gym Headcanons:

:ultwiifittrainer::ultdoc:- Runs the gym.

:ultkrool::ultkingdedede: - Was more active in the past but are more inconsistent now. Still maintains muscle but also put on weight and are proud of it.

:ultdk::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultmiifighters::ultzss::ultlucario:- Constantly hitting the gym, often train with each other.

:ultsimon::ultbowser: - Wants to find more time but has work and/or family.

:ultryu::ultike: :ultsnake::ultfox::ultfalco:- Own all the equipment they need at home.

:ultwario::ultganondorf::ultbayonetta:- Banned.

D

Deleted member

:ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultbowser: All go to the gym, who quits first?
In order of who quits first:
:ultkingdedede:: Doesn't really work out.
:ultkrool:: Enough for a quick regimen.
:ultwario:: Lifts weights until he grows bored.
:ultbowser:: Only leaves when he needs to.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Gym Headcanons:

:ultkrool::ultkingdedede: - Was more active in the past but are more inconsistent now. Still maintains muscle but also put on weight and are proud of it.

:ultdk::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultmiifighters::ultzss::ultlucario:- Constantly hitting the gym, often train with each other.

:ultryu::ultike::ultsnake::ultfox::ultfalco:- Own all the equipment they need at home.

And Sakurai gave :ultkirby: his own gym while :ultpit: works out at home with :ultpalutena:
:ultbowser:: Only leaves when he needs to.
And that’s when it’s Father/Peach Kidnapping/Pimp Daddy/Money Making/Bowsette Time

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Don't forget that Tuesday Nights/Wednesdays has practically been the only day we can confirm for sure what we're getting (For the exception of a direct being on that day. Since I think Simon's blog post went up the day of the direct, actually looks like K. Rool's did too) since it's Music + a Stage.

So that's 7-8 days we won't get a character up. So that leaves only 32-33 blog days to put up the 19 veterans + whatever is left of the newcomers. Assuming we do get all character blog posts before the game releases, that's 13-14 days for presumably any echoes left in the game (Unique newcomers post E3 go up the same day of the direct) and non-character updates.

I forgot where we are currently are on Items, Pokemon and/or Assists that still need to have their blog post. May need a refresher on that. Hell, things from Spirits may get blog updates once that's finally revealed for all we know.
Can't recall off the top of my head, but there is one or two items and assists from the E3 announcement that haven't had anything mentioned yet. Starting to get to the bottom of 8.8 direct.

So that is something to consider for the blog.
WHEN we get a direct and if we get multiple character reveals, will we get all of them on the blog on the same day?
Let's say the remaining characters get revealed (let's say 4 characters) IF that happens, then there will be more days to add info on stages, music, items, etc.

Interesting to think about. Which is why I think the next thing we get will be a single trailer.

Now whether it is just one character or two, I am not sure.

Last edited:

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Can't recall off the top of my head, but there is one or two items and assists from the E3 announcement that haven't had anything mentioned yet. Starting to get to the bottom of 8.8 direct.

WHEN we get a direct and if we get multiple character reveals, will we get all of them on the blog on the same day?
Let's say the remaining characters get revealed (let's say 4 characters) IF that happens, then there will be more days to add info on stages, music, items, etc.

Interesting to think about. Which is why I think the next thing we get will be a single trailer.

Would be awesome to have another Brawl trailer.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
With Smash Bros Ultimate coming out in what, 55 days, I would personally love to see a tribute for Smash Bros in general; including all past installments building up to Ultimate with a note: "It all started with something gone wrong in the happy go lucky world of Nintendo."

Heck, bring back something like Smashing Live to orchestrate the best moments in all of the Smash games leading up to Ultimate to celebrate its 20th anniversary coming in January. It would be a shame not to do it, imo.

SonicMario

Smash Master

I think right now there's at max 2 more unique/semi-clone newcomers left. Simon and K. Rool's blog posts both went up the same day as the direct. Could easily be the same case there while any echoes (Of which I think there's only a max of 3 left) come on days afterward.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
https://yourcountdown.to/super-smash-bros-direct-1539358413

This is the one I just made as a test. Yeah anyone can create this ****, though I did note that there are "confirmed" and "unconfirmed" timers on the site and apparently the smash bros direct one is "confirmed" ... :dizzy:
"You agree that by submitting a ‘public’ type countdown such as a movie, TV or game release you allow us review, edit and at our discretion approve this countdown on to our website. You understand that you will then no longer be able to edit this countdown in your account. If any amends need to be made to this countdown from this point forward you can make a public countdown amend request."

So either someone on that site is definitely on the inside track, or it's horse****. I'm tending to believe the latter but I'd love to be wrong.
Us mere mortals down here are constructing hypotheses while calling them theories--you're actually doing the science and experimenting out in the field. I commend you. :upsidedown:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Us mere mortals down here are constructing hypotheses while calling them theories--you're actually doing the science and experimenting out in the field. I commend you. :upsidedown:
lol thanks. Figured I'd try to get to the bottom of that timer. I like researching so yeah :p

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright I'm gonna do the 7 updates with 4 characters and 3 stages each properly this time, again assuming Incineroar and Ken are it for base (and a Minecraft stage is in base too so no Steve)

Characters:
Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon Semi-clone)
Chorus Kids

Stages:
Lake Ciel (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Rhythm Heaven stage
GX Mute City

Characters:
Shadow (Sonic echo)
Neku Sakuraba
Lloyd Irving
Shantae

Stages:
Some TWEWY stage
Shantae stage
Tales of Symphonia stage
...sue me idk what to use exactly for the stages

Characters:
Rex & Pyra
Twintelle
Octoling (Inkling Echo)
Euden

Stages:
Phraeganoth Raid stage (Dragalia Lost)
Mor Ardain Forest (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
Ramen Bowl (ARMS)

Characters:
Dixie Kong
Funky Kong (DK Semi-clone)
Celica (Robin Semi-clone)
Medusa (Palutena Echo)

Stages:
Hades' Realm or whatever it's called (Kid Icarus Uprising)
Tropical Freeze stage
...only 2 stages here

Characters:
Heihachi Mishima
Rayman
Zack Fair (Cloud Echo)
Dante

Stages:
DMC stage (NOT DmC please, note the difference in capitalization)
Rayman stage (dunno what to use)
Tekken stage (Dunno what to use)

involves fan favorites who were disconfirmed previously now playable, with of course some hard coded modifications
Characters:
Ashley (AT replaced with another character, or AT just won't appear when she's out period)
Fiora (her FS likeness is permanently removed and replaced with Melia)
Kumatora (removed from Lucas's FS altogether)
Captain Toad (won't appear on New Donk City when playable)
sorry no Waluigi

Stages:
(these ones are actually random and not related to the characters)
Fatal Frame stage
...I honestly can't think of any others

involves absent ATs from 4/Ultimate now promoted to playable
Characters:
Skull Kid
Dillon
Saki Amamiya
Isaac

Stages:
Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
Sin and Punishment stage
Dillon's Rolling Western stage

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I hope the DLC characters from new series get more trophies and/or remixes than Smash 4 fighters dlc got. Like, ok FF music is expensive, but not having mii costumes for Tifa as brawler, Barret as gunner, Sepiroth as swordsman and all of the actual characters as in game trophies is missed opporitunity of the century. And Ryu shouldve gotten more of the SF fighters as trophies, like Chun Li and Bison. Say if Banjo Kazooie is DLC (for example), add 4-5 new remixes, around 10 old songs, and maybe 10 trophies. Yeah liscensing is Hell but Id still like a new series to get the proper works if theyre introduced as DLC. Tomb Raider, Banjo Kazooie, TWEWY, TES whatever just give em that little extra love the base 3rd party series get.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I hope the DLC characters from new series get more trophies and/or remixes than Smash 4 fighters dlc got. Like, ok FF music is expensive, but not having mii costumes for Tifa as brawler, Barret as gunner, Sepiroth as swordsman and all of the actual characters as in game trophies is missed opporitunity of the century.
FF1 Fighter, Monk and...I dunno, Black Mage Mii costumes!

...we still need a Wii Spellcaster dammit...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Gym Headcanons:

:ultryu::ultike::ultsnake::ultfox::ultfalco:- Own all the equipment they need at home.

Now I kinda wonder why they are banned.
Wario because he stinks up the place and Bayonetta because she brought guns into a "No-Gun Zone".

As for G. Dorf, I dunno, maybe they just hate him.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Do note that 5 is the maximum though, which I pointed out. It could be lower based on how many weeks we get with only 2 fighter updates.

And while box theory is not confirmed or denied, it does indicate that 2 is our minimum.

So basically, any leak with more than 5 is more than likely wrong because of the damn blog, of all things. :p

5 newcomers also fits with Sakurai's statement on slowing down pace for newcomer reveals, ever so slightly. Since 5 in two months is technically a slower pace than 6 in two months, so it truly is the best case scenario. :p
Now this is the speculating which i think is constructive yet fun.

I do totally agree with you, minimum 2 and a max of 5:

- Worst case scenario is only one newcomer and 4 echoes (which i think is the less likely scenario).

- 2 newcomers, 3 echoes (most likely scenario)

- 3 newcomers , 2 echoes (best case scenario).

With a minor chance that a week or two before launching getting an anouncement ala mewtwo for the next dlc char or bonus char(unlockable after meeting certain special criteria).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So. What are everyone's thoughts on this out-of-nowhere thing?
This would technically be a leak, wouldn't it? It's a little odd and out of nowhere. Especially for a twitter account made to announce countdowns and seems to have existed for a long while. Add the lack of context to it...
Keeping expectations low but being its from a random tweeter rather then Nintendo or Sakurai themselves its more likely then not fake.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
So. What are everyone's thoughts on this out-of-nowhere thing?
This would technically be a leak, wouldn't it? It's a little odd and out of nowhere. Especially for a twitter account made to announce countdowns and seems to have existed for a long while. Add the lack of context to it...
What's even weirder, the countdown has been running for almost a week by now

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Noipoi

Howdy!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom