• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
More Splatoon content is fine. Hoping we get an Octo Expansion or Salmon Run (pls) stage for DLC. Or at least get Salmonids as Spirits Mode enemies, assuming its like Adventure Mode. Octoling echoes seem v likely and Inklings have massive costume potential. So yeah, more Splatoon content is definitely on its way, in one sense or another.

Plus, if there's going to be a Smash Ultimate equivalent to the codecs and Palutena's Guidance, I reckon it will be Splatoon-related.
Ooh, I hadn't even thought of that. Squid Sisters commentary on fighters...yes please.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
It's hard though since we didn't get anything in early October. It's getting closer to Let's Go's release and any much longer Smash content will bury Let's Go content. I initially thought a Pokemon Direct mainly focused on Let's Go, with Incineroar for Smash made sense--however, I was convinced that news would bury Let's Go. Possibly--I think Pokemon, however lukewarm, can hold it's own. I was thinking maybe after Let's Go announcement, but by then the whole roster would probably be leaked. So--it's less impatience, and more trying to figure out a logical timeframe (tho, have to be honest, it's also impatience). Late October seems to be the best bet, as of right now.
I know where you are coming from but as of now literally there´s no evidence of something, no 10 days blog thing, no music stuff, no anything. So may i ask, how does speculating over any single thing adds to the conversation?

I mean we are month a half away from the release, we will get a direct or smash info of course, like is inevitable. How does posting again and again random dates add to the discussion? This forum is an echo chamber, people complain about certain youtubers adding "OMG SUPER HIPER CREDIBLE LEAKER" yet people in here are as paranoic as him. On top of that, theres a fake leak every 5 minutes in other sites.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If we're talking about codec replacements, I can not neglect to mention Grunty's Rhymes. I'm having a feeling we may not get a codec-like equivalent, given how small a roster it is. But if we are, then that's the perfect opportunity.

I know where you are coming from but as of now literally there´s no evidence of something, no 10 days blog thing, no music stuff, no anything. So may i ask, how does speculating over any single thing adds to the conversation?

I mean we are month a half away from the release, we will get a direct or smash info of course, like is inevitable. How does posting again and again random dates add to the discussion? This forum is an echo chamber, people complain about certain youtubers adding "OMG SUPER HIPER CREDIBLE LEAKER" yet people in here are as paranoic as him. On top of that, theres a fake leak every 5 minutes in other sites.
I mean, if we're not speculating over any single thing, then what's the point? :chuckle:

EDIT:
Silver would have the most OP grab

Freezes you when you're close enough to him. Throws you off stage. :V
Or glitches you into outer space.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Where? Lmao I've seen free to play games with more content.

If anything sonic needs more love as does Yoshi criminally underepresented franchises
You have done zero research and have not even played the game, have you? Here's a list of Splatoon 2's content:

*2 single player campaigns that are decently lengthy for what they are, with Octo Expansion having incredibly praised level design and story.

*The main game of Turf War, which has one of Nintendo's most active player bases still going strong.

*Multiple competitive ranked modes, each radically different in how you play them.

*Salmon Run

*Mini games in the plaza

*Splatfests

*Dozens of maps

*A ton of gear, with new pieces constantly being added

*Tons of weapons, with each category having it's own play style with different types of each weapon creating their own subclass of the main weapon

Splatoon is by no means lacking in content.

D

Deleted member

This is from the end of Palutena's trailer, before Pac-Man was revealed.
They definitely added copyrights over that time. And with that, we could assume the same thing happened to the Smash Bros. 4 Website.

I would assume this applies to the Smash Wii U and 3DS menu copyright credits as well.
You're missing the biggest detail.
Ultimate's is full.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Where? Lmao I've seen free to play games with more content.

If anything sonic needs more love as does Yoshi criminally underepresented franchises
Just give me Blaze the Cat for DLC, and I'd never ask for another Sonic character again.

Pakky

Smash Hero
No more splatoon content plz I have no interest in that series. A newcomer is enough imo
Honestly having two :ultinkling: Woomies isn't a crime when you have

:ultmarth: Three and a half of these.

If Agent 8 was a thing at least you would presumably have a drastically different approach with the same gimmick.

As opposed to :ultmarth::ultroy::ultlucina: Whose variation of play is similar but more assertive or calculated depending on the character.

Lowkey :ultchrom: could make all of them pointless if he's just :ultroy:+:ultike:

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
This feels so odd to me... is it normal to have almost no information on what appears to be a main mode of a game when it's less than 2 months away? I work in a marketing department myself and it just seems like their timeline is odd, despite the game being guarenteed to sell like hotcakes regardless of if it even had a "Spirits:" mode.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You're missing the biggest detail.
Ultimate's is full.
That's the least significant aspect of the copyright issue. Font can change. What is significant is that it does seem like only playable characters are credited on the title screen--but as has been said, they can be added after announcements. So we have no clue at this point.

D

Deleted member

Why do you guys keep feeding trolls? Anyways, here's a Smash concept: Turtwig as the Pokemon newcomer, and its Echo Fighter is...
0c0d3f24-c1cf-4784-b67a-a8701da96341.gif

D

Deleted member

If you thought people were upset at Isabelle being a semi-clone, oh boy.
I don't see what the problem would be. Just like Isabelle, there is more than enough to make Octolings as unique as characters like Falco, Wolf, and Lucas. Heck, the only thing they'd technically have to share is the same Up B and the ink refilling mechanic. Otherwise, there's plenty to pull from for a completely new moveset.

Hey, to each their own, though. I'd like 'em. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

That's the least significant aspect of the copyright issue. Font can change. What is significant is that it does seem like only playable characters are credited on the title screen--but as has been said, they can be added after announcements. So we have no clue at this point.
"Font can change"

Give me a legitimate example of font changing on a title screen to accommodate for more added and then we'll talk.
Until then, it's just desperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Font changing has gotta be the bottom of the barrel for Smash arguments.
I'm not against it. Leech seed please.

Also, Hilda pic. Neat. My daughter LOVES that show. Actually an interesting toon.
Hilda is the most pure and innocent show I've watched in a long time and anyone who just wants to feel good should watch it

D

Deleted member

This feels so odd to me... is it normal to have almost no information on what appears to be a main mode of a game when it's less than 2 months away? I work in a marketing department myself and it just seems like their timeline is odd, despite the game being guarenteed to sell like hotcakes regardless of if it even had a "Spirits:" mode.
Nintendo is pretty strange compared to most other companies. They're strategy is usually dropping bits of info up until about 4-7 weeks before release, and then having a big info dump to cover whatever they didn't in months prior. I'm sure we're going to learn about Spirits and whatever else is left very soon.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't see what the problem would be. Just like Isabelle, there is more than enough to make Octolings as unique as characters like Falco, Wolf, and Lucas. Heck, the only thing they'd technically have to share is the same Up B and the ink refilling mechanic. Otherwise, there's plenty to pull from for a completely new moveset.

Hey, to each their own, though. I'd like 'em. :p
That's fine, and you have the right to your own opinion. :upsidedown: It's just people were reeeeally upset over Isabelle, and I can definitely see that happening again moreso (even though, Octolings have a better moveset potential than Villager 2.0). The problem I see is that the primary reason Sakurai gave was body proportions, and the thing about Octolings is they have the exact same body proportions. It's the unfortunate thing about echoes in that the primary deciding factor is less moveset related and more body proportions, meaning certain characters (e.g. Dark Samus, potentially Shadow and Dixie) get shafted despite having way better moveset potential.

"Font can change"

Give me a legitimate example of font changing on a title screen to accommodate for more added and then we'll talk.
Until then, it's just desperation.

Hilda is the most pure and innocent show I've watched in a long time and anyone who just wants to feel good should watch it
To each their own--I think you're grasping at straws, you think I'm grasping at straws. We'll find out soon enough.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Don't forget the music. The music is what got my eyes to point at the screen when I THOUGHT.....freaking THOUGHT.....I was only playing it for my daughter.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No more splatoon content plz I have no interest in that series. A newcomer is enough imo
Nah they need Octolings
Octolings are an awesome choice for semi-clone IMO. Splatoon 2 is jam-packed with content perfect for Smash and I personally would love to see more. Inklings are very Splatoon 1 themed, so having Octolings as a semi-clone gives Sakurai a better opportunity to show off all the ideas and content the series can offer. Dualies, Chargers, Squeezers, and more could be pulled from to make Octolings really stand out.

Plus, they're really heckin' cute:

Splatoon always proving that their female Inklings/Octolings are better than the males
Honestly having two :ultinkling: Woomies isn't a crime when you have

:ultmarth: Three and a half of these.
Not enough of :ultmarth:...we need 50 more
Plus, if there's going to be a Smash Ultimate equivalent to the codecs and Palutena's Guidance, I reckon it will be Splatoon-related.
I’d rather have all three (plus the Star Fox convos) in the game...or atleast keep the Palutena ones

D

Deleted member

That's fine, and you have the right to your own opinion. :upsidedown: It's just people were reeeeally upset over Isabelle, and I can definitely see that happening again moreso (even though, Octolings have a better moveset potential than Villager 2.0). The problem I see is that the primary reason Sakurai gave was body proportions, and the thing about Octolings is they have the exact same body proportions. It's the unfortunate thing about echoes in that the primary deciding factor is less moveset related and more body proportions, meaning certain characters (e.g. Dark Samus, potentially Shadow and Dixie) get shafted despite having way better moveset potential.
Yeah, I could see there being upset over it, especially because Octolings aren't in the "expected" bubble. I think it would subside pretty quick, though. Isabelle's inclusion salt was waaaaaaay drowned out by the people who wanted her (Heck, look at all the fan art and comics that popped up. Reaction videos were pretty nuts as well). With how big Splatoon is (especially in Japan, holy cow they like their Woomys and Veemos), I think the outrage would be pretty contained in only very specific parts of the fandom, and would blow over pretty quickly.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I didn't say anything about Totodile though

Me: says *thing*
You: "no you're *thing*"

Thanks for the detailed response
I didn't give a detailed response because I think we're going into circles. I'm fine with continuing, but it's probably grating for others. I just think people are taking placeholder art, and now a demo build, as gospel--unchanging. I think that's a ridiculous assumption to make. But at some point, we're just talking over one another, rather than hearing each other out (calling it "bottom of the barrel" without mentioning why is exactly the problem). If either of you provide a good argument, or good evidence, I'll consider it. But "Nuh uh, font can't change" is--a non-argument.

D

Deleted member

I didn't give a detailed response because I think we're going into circles. I'm fine with continuing, but it's probably grating for others. I just think people are taking placeholder art, and now a demo build, as gospel--unchanging. I think that's a ridiculous assumption to make. But at some point, we're just talking over one another, rather than hearing each other out (calling it "bottom of the barrel" without mentioning why is exactly the problem). If either of you provide a good argument, or good evidence, I'll consider it. But "Nuh uh, font can't change" is--a non-argument.
You can't just say "font can change" when there's literally no precedent for it and you provided no evidence or points in your favor. Games don't just change font midway through just to accomodate new text, the font is a conscious design choice that NEEDS to be consistent.
You simply expect us to take your word for it, when you clearly don't know how game developers handle fonts and make no effort to construct an argument.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Not enough of :ultmarth:...we need 50 more
This is how I see FE

:ultmarth:- I worked hard and now I'm a sword snipe champ

:ultlucina:- Well Marth is hard let's try her instead/ She's cute/ WAIFU

:ultroy:- Marth but playing safe is BORING!

:ultike:- Man screw Marth, THICC time!

:ultchrom:- I AM Everything (Presumably

-------

:ultrobin- Times are tough but I got lightning to strut my stuff.

:ultcorrin:- So like Robin is cool but :ultroy: got crazy options so I want crazy options and a sick two step projectile, and I wanna pole vault...

....:ultinkling:: Woomy!

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Ahh yes, because being playable equates to importance.

You know how we have the four mainstays of Super Mario Bros. in Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser? Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee are Kirby's equivalent to them.

Absolutely ridiculous to compare him to a 'multi-colored Toad from NSMB', and let's not even bring up the brainless "goomba with hat!1!!" argument.

If you don't support a character, then keep it to yourself instead of trying to argue against their inclusion.
How is he a mainstay if he’s barely even in the games? Comparing him to Luigi is ridiculous. Luigi is playable in every spinoff, every 2D Mario, and has even had his own games. Bandana Dee just pops up in the background to give you items most of the time. He’s a literal goomba in a hat. I don’t have to keep anything to myself lol. What else is this entire site for if not voicing your opinions?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Splatoon is by no means lacking in content.
Yes it is lol. You know those campaigns are under 4 hours combined right for any decent player? And theres like no online gamemodes

Tbh ask people what they would prefer an octaling or Geno, Isabelle or Issac and the choice is pretty clear.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think them knowing Smash will sell no matter what gives them that ability to market it different than other companies would.

Actually even with a new IP like ARMS, they announced it 6 months before release and didn't even go until the full fighter roster with game details until about 2 months before release. So that's also just how Nintendo markets apparently lol.

D

Deleted member

I suggest we change the game's font to the best font ever made...

*comic ness :ness2:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
He's a Waddle Dee, not a Goomba, if you want to voice your opinion, don't present it as a fact.
Not the point he was making. Obviously he was referring to the archetype of a common enemy being given a mere accessory to differentiate them.

I have to agree with him he has the right not to want Waddle Dee in the game

D

Deleted member

This is how I see FE

:ultmarth:- I worked hard and now I'm a sword snipe champ

:ultlucina:- Well Marth is hard let's try her instead/ She's cute/ WAIFU

:ultroy:- Marth but playing safe is BORING!

:ultike:- Man screw Marth, THICC time!

:ultchrom:- I AM Everything (Presumably

-------

:ultrobin- Times are stuff but I got lightning to sturt my stuff.

:ultcorrin:- So like Robin is cool but :ultroy: got crazy options so I want crazy options and a sick two step projectile, and I wanna pole vault...

....:ultinkling:: Woomy!
:ultkrool:: I want to be FE, but I also want to be a fatass crocodile, what am I to d-....wait, is that a COUNTER?!

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I think them knowing Smash will sell no matter what gives them that ability to market it different than other companies would.

Actually even with a new IP like ARMS, they announced it 6 months before release and didn't even go until the full fighter roster with game details until about 2 months before release. So that's also just how Nintendo markets apparently lol.
Nintendo wants to HEAR butts pucker in suspense. Dark Souls worthy tension.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes it is lol. You know those campaigns are under 4 hours combined right for any decent player? And theres like no online gamemodes

Tbh ask people what they would prefer an octaling or Geno, Isabelle or Issac and the choice is pretty clear.
Out of those, I'd say Isabelle > Isaac > Geno > Octoling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom