• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Geno doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as Mewtwo. He has to be a base character.
They were able to sell a Geno Mii costume as DLC. He does have much less mainstream appeal over the majority of requested characters. But the fact that they put special emphasis on that Mii costume and was able to sell it as DLC, makes me believe that Geno could work as DLC, not just in the base roster.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even want Geno in the game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hope issac joins the roster. Percentage wise what is the possibility he joins?
Between 20%-60%. Despite his popularity, I feel he's far from being a lock. I don't want to give a certain number, because there are too much unknown variables but I feel like this is not his game, either.

Now, hoping for Sakurai to prove me wrong.

D

Deleted member

So, how would a Dragon Quest character fight in Smash exactly? Sora I have an idea, but I’ve got no experience with Dragon Quest.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
The shadow/geno leak definitely looked good at first glance, but there were super obvious problems with the character icons and symbols. That and it was brawl graphics.

Really really hoping against hope Shadow makes base roster regardless

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Anyone care for a second of pointless speculation? I was basing a possible CSS off of this image in the direct -
Screenshot_20181004-104830~2.png

Which would likely be a row of 12 on the top and Jiggly starting the second row under Mario. However then there's this photo -
Screenshot_20181004-104841~2.png

Is there any way for this to happen, this being Jiggly Puff remaining under Mario starting the 2nd row but also Young Link remaining under Jiggly starting the 3rd row?

With echoes collapsed and Jiggly still there the top row should be 11 characters. We could assume the second row would also collapse to 11, however there are two echo fighters (Daisy & Lucina). Thus Young Link should have moved up to the second row to complete it and Gannon should start the third row.
The rows are still even (Jiggly still directly under Mario) so it's not like the rows were pushed one way or the other to balance it out.

It probably is nothing and was just a quick mock up to show this example, but I love speculating about the CSS :p

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Geno doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as Mewtwo. He has to be a base character.
You Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei can you pull up that old post about people buying DLC characters because they're characters in Smash? I feel like that has to be brought up.

If Geno is as popular as the Smash fanbase makes him out to be, and as many people bought the Geno Mii Costume as we think did, then he'll make more than enough money for Nintendo as a DLC character.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
If you want positive discussion, MAKE positive discussion.

So, on a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with the characters and stage selection?

I'm at a 10, personally. I would be content if the game released with the current roster :)
9.5 I do love the amount of content featured(74 characters, 103 stages and nearly a thousand tracks of music) but there's so things I still feel that are missing... but of course it's pretty much impossible to make a perfect Smash game at this point.

D

Deleted member

Even if he isn't owned by Nintendo, Geno is associated with Mario, which IMO would probably be enough to get him in regardless of his slightly niche status. I'm not banking on it like I was before, but I'm not ruling it out either.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Same.

I honestly believe that if he hadn't been an AT, nobody would even know who this character was.
People wanted him before he was an AT. If being an AT once is all that's required to have popularity a decade later, the charts would look much differently.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
THE FAN BALLOT RESULTS!
BANJO IS THE WINNER!
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ltimate_poll/e75qqjc/?st=jmutpdwb&sh=b5c81eca
View attachment 168096

Placements:
1. Banjo
2. Isaac
3. Geno
4. Lloyd
5. Sora
6. Skull Kid
7. Paper Mario
8. Pheonix Wright
9. Amaterasu
10. Rayman
11. Crash
12. Spyro
13. Rex and Pyra
14. Bandana W. Dee
15. Chibi Robo
How was this poll set up? Was it through nominations? Since looking at the base (which I'm assuming is this one), there seem to be a few characters absent....

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
So, how would a Dragon Quest character fight in Smash exactly? Sora I have an idea, but I’ve got no experience with Dragon Quest.
There are a lot of possible characters so it all depends.
Most of the heroes use swords though, 5 is an exception as he uses a staff.

D

Deleted member

Wait a minute. isn't geno a mario character? or is he from another game? i'm lost
Geno is from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. This game was developed by SE in collaboration with Nintendo, and as such the rights for certain parts of the game are split up. Nintendo of course owns characters such as Mario, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, etc, but SE owns the rights to the original characters they created for the game such as Geno and Mallow.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait a minute. isn't geno a mario character? or is he from another game? i'm lost
He was only in the licensed Mario game made by Square Enix. Apparently they hold the rights to the unique characters in that game who aren't established Mario characters.

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Like this!
(Huge image incoming)
And after "Whistle" catches opponents nearby, a horde of monsters from the DQ universe (obviously lead by Slime) stampede over the opponents caught in the sound wave. Blue Falcon style.

Also, there's quite a few new abilities from XI which I don't know about (because I'm holding on for the Switch version).

But ideally, I'd want as many weapons, magical items, and a few magic spells represented. Also, a long overdue MP system for at least this character.
And tension, which is really fun. (Basically powers up by charging up. Has 4 levels. And turns your character purple Super-Saiyan-esque at max tension).

Last edited:

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Anyone care for a second of pointless speculation? I was basing a possible CSS off of this image in the direct - View attachment 168098
Which would likely be a row of 12 on the top and Jiggly starting the second row under Mario. However then there's this photo - View attachment 168099
Is there any way for this to happen, this being Jiggly Puff remaining under Mario starting the 2nd row but also Young Link remaining under Jiggly starting the 3rd row?

With echoes collapsed and Jiggly still there the top row should be 11 characters. We could assume the second row would also collapse to 11, however there are two echo fighters (Daisy & Lucina). Thus Young Link should have moved up to the second row to complete it and Gannon should start the third row.
The rows are still even (Jiggly still directly under Mario) so it's not like the rows were pushed one way or the other to balance it out.

It probably is nothing and was just a quick mock up to show this example, but I love speculating about the CSS :p
It's an intriguing thought. But would they really put Luigi anywhere but directly next to Mario?

I haven't kept up with any dissections of the demo's CSS or anything, so I could be way off.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

So, on a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with the characters and stage selection?

I'm at a 10, personally. I would be content if the game released with the current roster :)
Hmm... probably 8.5/10.
Many of the stages being back, as well as some 3ds and old stages, and some recent ones getting improved looks in HD is a treat by itself, including the popular Fountain of Dreams. The stage portion is really good so far.
The characters however. Admittedly I've been bitter about almost all newcomers when they first showed up, especially :ultchrom::ultridley::ultsimon:, though some of em I have gotten used to over time (I may still have some bitterness towards Chrom atm). Honestly I still question the amount of Fire Emblem characters that are there, and all of em having swords, but I may have said that before already. What will boost my rating is if Medusa, Phosphora, or Monster Hunter make the playable ranks, and that alone may negate most of my negativity towards other newcomers that may get revealed.

Pit being buffed also helped boost the rating btw. Various balances will also help, but seeing demo vids with Pit's buffs and the nerfs of Bayo/Cloud do have me hopeful. And yes, I know the game is WIP and things are subject to change... just like my current rating.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
You know that recent sudden addition of memories for people outside of JP makes me think that perhaps October's newcomer is a niche character, at least outside Japan. So perhaps the memory additions is because of that character so the casual audience knows which game that character comes from.

Also I'm really glad Lloyd placed 4th. It makes me wonder if he actually did very well on the Smash Ballot contrary to Internet polls.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I'd be content with it too, but there are a few wants/wishes I have. The roster is a 9 for me, because Ashley is an AT. But at this point if they add either Shantae, Viridi, Medusa, or Erdrick (with a female alt) it'll make it a 10.
The stages are a 9 as well, and the only things that could make it perfect is: A. bring back Sector Z (or at least a bigger Corneria), B. Make Meta Crystal from 64 playable in versus mode, and C. make Stage Builder/Custom Stages better than Wii U and Brawl combined. (I know I sound like I'm complaining, but I'm really not. I'll only be upset if they don't bring back Stage Builder at all, which is unlikely).
For music, it's probably gonna be a 9, unless they add Shantae music and Rhythm Heaven music. That will make it a 10 for me.
Everything else is perfectly fine with me though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like this!
(Huge image incoming)
And after "Whistle" catches opponents nearby, a horde of monsters from the DQ universe (obviously lead by Slime) stampede over the opponents caught in the sound wave. Blue Falcon style.

Also, there's quite a few new abilities from XI which I don't know about (because I'm holding on for the Switch version).

But ideally, I'd want as many weapons, magical items, and a few magic spells represented. Also, a long overdue MP system for at least this character.
And tension, which is really fun. (Basically powers up by charging up. Has 4 levels. And turns your character purple Super-Saiyan-esque at max tension).
So they’d utilize magic and other kinds of weapons? Cool!

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13

I'm going to go with an 9/10. Going into the hype season, all I wanted was :ultridley: before I could even think about being hyped for anyone else. The good news is, that news came super early, so its been a much more laid back hype season this time around. I had wanted Ridley since Melee. That being said, a 10/10 score would mean the roster is perfect, and although this gets damn near perfect to me, there would have to be a few characters that I love but aren't very realistic for smash (aka Panther, Slippy, Bubble Bobble dinosaurs, and hell I wouldn't even mind seeing Goku even though I don't really follow Dragonball, I just think he looks cool). I will say that my second most hoped for character was Shadow, and when Papa Sakurai announced echoes I thought for sure that he would be one of them. Obviously you can't be 100% satisfied, but this roster comes pretty damn close. Throw Tails or Shadow in and I would be over the moon.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's an intriguing thought. But would they really put Luigi anywhere but directly next to Mario?

I haven't kept up with any dissections of the demo's CSS or anything, so I could be way off.
So far between the demo and this photo (which imo is very much a mock up just to make the roster we currently have revealed look nice) -
Screenshot_20180809-094835~2.png

The CSS will follow the same pattern as the site and so yes, Luigi will not be next to Mario. I'm holding out for a way to organize the CSS by series like the site though, or even personally customize.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You know that recent sudden addition of memories for people outside of JP makes me think that perhaps October's newcomer is a niche character, at least outside Japan. So perhaps the memory additions is because of that character so the casual audience knows which game that character comes from.

Also I'm really glad Lloyd placed 4th. It makes me wonder if he actually did very well on the Smash Ballot contrary to Internet polls.
Is there a link to the memories outside of Japan?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
So far between the demo and this photo (which imo is very much a mock up just to make the roster we currently have revealed look nice) -
View attachment 168101

The CSS will follow the same pattern as the site and so yes, Luigi will not be next to Mario. I'm holding out for a way to organize the CSS by series like the site though, or even personally customize.
That image can form a perfect grid now with K. Rool and Isabelle.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
View attachment 168101

Huh. I hadn't really paid attention to that. So they might really organize the final CSS by the character number order? It's definitely something of a theme they've been stressing, but I didn't figure they'd organize the CSS by anything but game affiliation as usual.

Somehow this just looks wrong.

D

Deleted member

THE FAN BALLOT RESULTS!
BANJO IS THE WINNER!
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ltimate_poll/e75qqjc/?st=jmutpdwb&sh=b5c81eca
View attachment 168096

Placements:
1. Banjo
2. Isaac
3. Geno
4. Lloyd
5. Sora
6. Skull Kid
7. Paper Mario
8. Pheonix Wright
9. Amaterasu
10. Rayman
11. Crash
12. Spyro
13. Rex and Pyra
14. Bandana W. Dee
15. Chibi Robo
I'm not on my 200 billion galaxy IQ **** and finally got sleep, so waking up to this is very nice to see. Granted, it is another Reddit-leaning ballot, but I'll take it at face value.

Banjo, Isaac, Geno are all pretty much where I expected to be at. Surprised to see Lloyd's placement, given how requests for him outside of the U.S. seems to be nonexistent. The fact Ammy is in top 10 makes me have some faith in whatever is left out of this Smash speculation cycle, y'all know some good ****. I AM, however, shocked to see Bandana Dee much lower than previous fanmade polls.

I think if we can try and combine these results with the previous Japanese one a while back (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj9bEgWUwAE_M8q.jpg), we can get an all around level playing field for what every country wants, since that percentage of Asian responses in this poll is quite, quite low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom