• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, if this was it, I wouldn't mind. I got what I wanted the most and a ridiculously large cast of characters. They'd have to deliberately try to **** it up to make me reconsider. A better single player would be nice but I almost exclusively play Smash with a group of 7-ish people

domriver

Smash Lord
Question i have. Im sure all of you have seen Ridley's reveal trailer. A thought crossed my mind - i could be wrong about it but Nintendo showed Megaman getting impaled/killed by Ridley do you think Nintendo needs to seek "permission" from Capcom in order to do this? Or once they have the rights they can do whatever they want to with the character?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Question i have. Im sure all of you have seen Ridley's reveal trailer. A thought crossed my mind - i could be wrong about it but Nintendo showed Megaman getting impaled/killed by Ridley do you think Nintendo needs to seek "permission" from Capcom in order to do this? Or once they have the rights they can do whatever they want to with the character?
Capcom would need to ask Nintendo not to portray Mega Man as such. Disney did something like that for Marvel VS Capcom Infinite, saying Marvel characters can't be shown losing in promotional material iirc

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Awwwwwwww. Dream crushed.
Don’t give up! Like the Ridley supporters used to say, “don’t falter”. Like Team Rocket, we never give up.

What Meowth really needs is a loud vocal fan demand that Nintendo cannot ignore. Ridley got in Smash because of the Ridley supporters.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Guys I don't know how you expect 10+ newcomers when we are so close to the game's release. We have at max 3 more directs, meaning we will probably get three more newcomers before release. We could also get some hidden newcomers in the final, maybe two at most? So, without counting echoes, I think it's really unreasonable to expect more than five additional newcomers in the final release. Thankfully, we have DLC, which I think we could get upwards of ten characters in.
December's pretty far away, tbh, i just expect about 5 or so.

Troykv

Smash Master
Having the same frame and colors as an AT will cause confusion if said AT is present at the same time as its fighter counterpart, especially during chaotic FFA matches (which is where ATs usually appear). Different palettes stop this from happening in regular 8 player matches (unless you're Cloud).

I honestly don't think they mind just straight up deleting an AT from the game should they decide to add someone like Waluigi, Takamaru or Lyn, with there allegedly being over 100 of them in the game it's not something worth keeping a hugely popular character out because of.
Wait what!?

Where they said above over 100 ATs?

I hope one of them is a FE AT

Zeox

Smash Champion
These are franchises that I think or believe will not get a new rep, this of course is my opinion and I can be very wrong:
* Zelda (all the reworks and remade of the characters make me believe they will not add anymore)
* Pokemon (I feel like Pokemon trainer return and pichu are all we are gonna have)
* Mario (Daisy is the mario rep of this smash)
* Star Fox (Wolf is back and I think that would be all)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I honestly doubt a Pokemon newcome for some reason. Pokemon Lets GO seems to be the major Pokemon release, and that game is a Pokemon Yellow remake. I also don't think that ANY new potential Pokemon is on the same level as importance and popularity as the current cast. But I might be wrong though.

Impa as a Echo Fighter is as likely now as ever because the different styles of the Zelda cast. It's likely that THAT kept her out the last time, and I expect her to be announced whenever Skyward Sword HD gets revealed. Cause y'know, that seems a huge possibility as well as we've gotten remakes of OOT, WW and TP before and the Zelda team might be able to polish Skyward Sword way better with the experience of Breath of the Wild.

Am just hoping that Dixie Kong WON'T be a Echo Fighter this time around. Funky Kong would make far more sense for this. At any rate, am confident a DKC newcomer will happen, cause that was a major outcry last time. And major outcries seem to be answered this time around.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Capcom should be happy that Sakurai uses the character, he gives Megaman way more attention than they do. So if they would, shame on them.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So when this Rodan dude was announced as an assist trophy, the way they worded it sounded like he was new character for a second is that only me?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Not sure if it was posted here but...

There's a certain someone who snuck into the full roster image:

Unless you count Trainer's Pokeball and Diddy's banana there isn't a single other item on the character screen hmmmmmmmmmmmm

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Are we still overrating Decidueye? The guy's unique and all, but now that Ivysaur is back, it just lost it's greatest advantage.

At this point, I'd argue Incineroar is way more likely.
I'd still love to see Mimikyu, and we still have no Ghost type in the game (not that it matters for inclusions). I love that adorably creepy/creepily adorable 'mon :D Also Ghost is my favourite type, so...

What I do not get about Pkmn Trainer is why they did not make his switches Shield+B like inkling recharge, and gave the Squirtle and Ivysaur normal down-B's. My best guess is because of the air switching.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Do you guys think this will be the last Smash game? Honestly, I doubt it.
I think this will definitely be the only Smash game on Nintendo Switch...

I think this will be the last Smash Bros game for the next decade, so I don't think we will get another Smash Bros game for another 10 years.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Do you guys think this will be the last Smash game? Honestly, I doubt it.
This seems to be Sakurai's last Smash, but I heavily doubt it will be the last Smash. It's just too much of a money maker for Ninty to just let the series die with Sakurai. That said, this game really is being made out to be the definitive edition of Smash, so I'm worried about what direction the series will take from here...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Impa as a Echo Fighter is as likely now as ever because the different styles of the Zelda cast. It's likely that THAT kept her out the last time, and I expect her to be announced whenever Skyward Sword HD gets revealed. Cause y'know, that seems a huge possibility as well as we've gotten remakes of OOT, WW and TP before and the Zelda team might be able to polish Skyward Sword way better with the experience of Breath of the Wild.
I hope you finally get Skyward Sword version of Impa in Smash... especially now that Zelda characters are now from different Zelda games.

Breath of the Wild = :4link::4sheik: (because the Sheik outfit is in that game)
Ocarina of Time 3D = :younglinkmelee::4ganondorf:
A Link Between Worlds = :4zelda:
The Wind Waker HD = :4tlink:
Skyward Sword HD (let's hope this happens) = Impa possibly as Sheik's Echo Fighter (it's just an euphemism for "last minute filler clone" but I digress)

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Not sure if it was posted here but...

There's a certain someone who snuck into the full roster image:

Unless you count Trainer's Pokeball and Diddy's banana there isn't a single other item on the character screen hmmmmmmmmmmmm
...and Saturn Valley seems like it might be the stage with the walking mushroom, interesting.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
A brief personal opinion of the newcomers:

Inklings: Honestly, who didn't see them coming ever since Sm4sh? It was long overdue. It's like thinking there was not going to be a Frozen world in KH3, you would be lying to yourself if you said they wouldn't be in. Thus, I can't say I'm surprised. Their moveset looks pretty creative, though, so more than willing to try it out.

Daisy: I....I actually screamed of hype when I saw her. She's a clone, yeah, and it's not like having another Mario character is a surprise, but barely anyone thought she would make pass a possible alt for Peach. I'm simply excited for her and see what differences she has with Peach. Also condolences to Waluigi supporters.

Ridley: When his trailer started, my reaction was "Oh, Ridley, okay". Now, I'm not in the least against him, it's just that his more vocal and aggressive supporters and overabundance of memes back in the Sm4sh DLC days killed any hype I could have had but it didn't grow to the extent of making resent the character. So to me, he's fine, just that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What makes this even more exciting is knowing we at the very least have Simon ****ing Belmont on the way too
I will believe it when I see him whipping other fighters as a playable character and not as an Assist Trophy like Bomberman.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Let me collect my feelings towards the game as a whole in one biggish post.
-Estatic Ridley got in this time. He looks amazing
-Every veteran coming back was an unsuspected surprise, but a welcome one
-Neutral on Daisy, but I'm okay with her as she seems visually interesting
-New combat looks like a massive improvement
-Feels bad for waluigi fans but I'm not shocked for his fate
-I'm definately feeling like we're going to see a 68-72 character roster and that's it.
-Simon Belmont is now extremely likely IMO
If I had to wager on who's left to announce:
-Simon Belmont most likely is our next announcement
-Good chance we're seeing a Donkey Kong Rep
-Good chance we're seeing a ubisoft rep this time, but I feel it would have been announced at E3 if it were happening?
-Pretty solid chance Chorus Kids get in this time.
-Possibly one more third party, but I wouldn't count on it
-Retro picks (Takamaruo and Sakupon are deconfirmed, Excitebiker? Geno? Balloon Fighter?)
-Possibly one more first party newcomer (most likely from xenoblade)
-Most likely 3+ more echoes for sure.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
...and Saturn Valley seems like it might be the stage with the walking mushroom, interesting.
I'm pretty sure that was just an odd angle from Gaur Plains if ytou're talking about the Snake picture. The columns and 'toothy' stalactites match it incredibly well, as well as the rounded cave. I don't see the particular spot in screenshots of the existing Wii U and 3DS versions but if it gets even a minor touchup it'd be far more probable. It's way too similar fopr them to make another stage that looks just like it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So because Ivysaur is back, we don’t need another Grass Pokémon? And yet you think Incineroar, a Fire Pokemon, is more likely even though we already have Charizard?
Because Ivysaur and Squirtle are back, we don't need another Pokémon AT ALL.

What would Decidueye bring to Smash? He's an archer? So's Takumi.

Oh, complaining that Fire Emblem has too many characters? POKEMON HAS MORE THAN ANY SERIES ON THE ROSTER.

Decidueye would be added just to fill a slot of "we must have a Pokémon". Which is possible. But it doesn't sound like Sakurai.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
it's just that his more vocal and aggressive supporters and overabundance of memes back in the Sm4sh DLC days killed any hype I could have had but it didn't grow to the extent of making resent the character.
The funny thing is that Ridley fans have started to become pretty chill after the Sm4sh DLC.

K. Rool supporters are the new Ridley fanbase :troll:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Very. The popular guesses are either Saturn Valley or Smash Run with the Mushroom enemy being there. Would Mr. Saturn actually legit be a playable character?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope you finally get Skyward Sword version of Impa in Smash... especially now that Zelda characters are now from different Zelda games.

Breath of the Wild = :4link::4sheik: (because the Sheik outfit is in that game)
Ocarina of Time 3D = :younglinkmelee::4ganondorf:
A Link Between Worlds = :4zelda:
The Wind Waker HD = :4tlink:
Skyward Sword HD (let's hope this happens) = Impa possibly as Sheik's Echo Fighter (it's just an euphemism for "last minute filler clone" but I digress)
It would really make a lot of sense. And I get the feeling that somehow, Skyward Sword will be hugely reworked so that the game will allow for exploration of Ancient Hyrule. Playing Breath of the Wild intensively now since I got it since last week, and let me tell you, the throwbacks and nods to Skyward Sword are pretty great. Notice how the Sheikah Monks dissapear similary to how Impa did in the end of Skyward Sword for example? The Remote Bombs looking eerily similar to Impa's projectile attack? The ancient technology? In many ways, Breath of the Wild is a logical next step from Skyward Sword. Haven't seen these nods to other Zelda games in a Zelda game since Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

It's also probable that Impa was considered for Smash 4 as a clone, but they decided against it because of her contrast in style with the rest of the Zelda cast.

Kinda have the gut feeling it'll happen honestly. Toon Zelda might also get in as a Zelda Echo so that there are also 3 Zeldas in the game as well as 3 Links.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Regarding the whole every Smash gets a new Pokemon trend, that isn't broken with this one because these are all new veterans. No one considered Mewtwo a Pokemon newcomer so I don't know why people are acting like Pokemon Trainer and Pichu change anything...

Now this does feel like the Smash game to break most trends, but I still see a Pokemon newcomer. It's just too big of a series to miss out and Sun and Moon perfectly lines up with the project plan and development of the series (for real why are people acting like Nintendo is over Sun and Moon yet).

Finally, going by roster slots, Mario has 8 now (I don't expect more seeing as Waluigi got deconfirmation and toad is seeming unlikely, but maybe still possible). Pokemon is still at 7, so I don't think it would feel like too many Pokemon if one more got added. Plus it's Pokemon, not Fire Emblem. I don't think anyone would complain especially when it's a series of 700+ Pokemon to rep.

The fact that none of the most likely Gen 7 Pokemon have appeared in pokeballs yet is a good sign imo.

EDIT: I also wanna say I'm 100% down for Impa Echo to represent SS. I love that the Zelda characters are representing the whole series now.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Regarding the whole every Smash gets a new Pokemon trend, that isn't broken with this one because these are all new veterans. No one considered Mewtwo a Pokemon newcomer so I don't know why people are acting like Pokemon Trainer and Pichu change anything...

Now this does feel like the Smash game to break most trends, but I still see a Pokemon newcomer. It's just too big of a series to miss out and Sun and Moon perfectly lines up with the project plan and development of the series (for real why are people acting like Nintendo is over Sun and Moon yet).

Finally, going by roster slots, Mario has 8 now (I don't expect more seeing as Waluigi got deconfirmation and toad is seeming unlikely, but maybe still possible). Pokemon is still at 7, so I don't think it would feel like too many Pokemon if one more got added. Plus it's Pokemon, not Fire Emblem. I don't think anyone would complain especially when it's a series of 700+ Pokemon to rep.

The fact that none of the most likely Gen 7 Pokemon have appeared in pokeballs yet is a good sign imo.

EDIT: I also wanna say I'm 100% down for Impa Echo to represent SS. I love that the Zelda characters are representing the whole series now.
It changes the balance of the roster. Just because we have always gotten a Pokémon doesn't mean we will always get a Pokémon. It's a fan rule based on trends. The same sort of rule that says "Ridley can't get in" or "Pichu will never return".

And Fire Emblem also has 700+ characters to rep. So, no, it wouldn't be much different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom