• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Have Squirtle and Ivysaur's move sets changed? Ivysaur better not still have bullet seed.

?????????????

Smash Master
Have Squirtle and Ivysaur's move sets changed? Ivysaur better not still have bullet seed.
I think Bullet Seed has been confirmed. I thought I saw Kirby using it with the Ivysaur hat.

What I'm wondering is...is Charizard's Side B Rock Smash or Flare Blitz? I hope it's Flare Blitz.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
here's a question can Ridley still act as a boss if he's not on the stage at the time? Kinda like Toon Link's situation?
I'm gunna say no. It wasn't shown as a returning Meteoid stage (and we've seen so many returning stages) and I think it would be pretty jarring to have a giant Ridley and player sized Ridley in the same game, even if they are canonically different characters.

Plus I'm assuming Sakurai took note of the backlash he received on the stage (I personally loved it but now that I have playable Ridley I definitely don't need it).

I think Bullet Seed has been confirmed. I thought I saw Kirby using it with the Ivysaur hat.

What I'm wondering is...is Charizard's Side B Rock Smash or Flare Blitz? I hope it's Flare Blitz.
I'm pretty sure I saw Flare Blitz in either a pic or video...honestly makes more sense than Rock Smash. Rock Smash always looked unnatural on Charizard.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm gonna go ahead and say...

If a character, like Waluigi for example, winds up getting a lot of fan demand, then it's possible (even as DLC for THIS game) for them to become playable and just co-exist as an Assist Trophy.

I mean...characters can already have 8 iterations of themselves on the battlefield at once, right? So what's the big deal?
Having the same frame and colors as an AT will cause confusion if said AT is present at the same time as its fighter counterpart, especially during chaotic FFA matches (which is where ATs usually appear). Different palettes stop this from happening between fighters in regular 8 player matches (unless you're Cloud).

I honestly don't think they mind just straight up deleting an AT from the game should they decide to add someone like Waluigi, Takamaru or Lyn, with there allegedly being over 100 of them in the game it's not something worth keeping a hugely popular character out because of.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If you're specifically talking about Pyrosphere's Ridley, I don't see why not. They look so aesthetically different.

Plus, I mean...every iteration of Ridley is different. Some are the original, some are clones, some are mechanical reconstructions... I don't think it's any stranger than having three playable Links.
Every Ridley is the same one expect for in Other M and Fusion and the 3 Links are all different people

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
117 days until December 7th... Seems like forever, right? It's probably gonna feel like a much shorter wait for the game if we count it as weeks. As of this Friday, it'll be exactly 25 weeks until the game's release. To make it more painless for myself, I'm gonna try to figure out a way to countdown each week until Smash Ultimate releases. Heck, I still need to get a Switch, yet I already plan on buying the game day 1.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That brings up question I wanted to ask not just to you, but to anyone seeing this (hopefully not in hindsight stupid) question.

But before I ask it, a small disclaimer: Though it still stings, I have accepted the loss of my favorite, and most wanted newcomers just as well as most of the others here who accepted the loss of their wanted newcomers; sadden but eagerly looking towards the future for what Sakurai has in store for us a couple months for now.

Ok way longer disclaimer than I had planed aside, we'll be getting DLC, and most likely there'll be a ballot to go along with it. Do you think that regardless of a character being an Assist Trophy, if they get the most votes during the ballot, do you think Sakurai would make an exception, and make that character?

Palutena's lightweight says hello too how often do you become FASTER THAN SONIC? I mean that's just wild.

I'm hoping that Palutena new side B is lightweight if not, then hopefully side b and neutral b are something more offensive like obtaining a random Zodiac weapon to use from her game or choose which one you want the way you do for Shulk now in this game.
I'm gonna go ahead and say...

If a character, like Waluigi for example, winds up getting a lot of fan demand, then it's possible (even as DLC for THIS game) for them to become playable and just co-exist as an Assist Trophy.

I mean...characters can already have 8 iterations of themselves on the battlefield at once, right? So what's the big deal?
Is it impossible for an Assist Trophy or Pokeball Pokemon to coexist with a playable character? Not at all. Is the character basically deconfirmed until DLC? Probably.

If the character you want doesn't get in Smash as a playable character but gets in as something notable like a stage boss or an Assist Trophy, you're in a tight spot, and I'd start lowering your expectations quite a bit. Nothing is out of the question with Sakurai, but with so many characters fighting to get in Smash, seeing him put popular characters like Waluigi or Takamaru as Assist Trophies in the base game should be considered as him politely saying, "Sorry. Maybe another time."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My thoughts on the entire cast after seeing the fighter videos
:4mario:Cappy and the new Cape animation are cool and the Wedding alt is brilliant
:4dk:I don't play him but he looks more satisfying to hit people with. New Final Smash is appreciated
:4link:It looks like he fires 2 arrows at once. Remote bombs look fun, I'm curious how the new Sword Beam mechanic will work for him and the new Final Smash is a bit of a letdown imo
:4samus:Mid air charging is great should have been implemented ages ago
:4yoshi:His mew grab animation is adorable
:4kirby:His Melee dash attack is back and he's as adorable as ever
:4fox:New Final Smash is cool. Nothing else really speaks to me
:4pikachu:LIBRE AAAAALT! Final Smash rework looks fun too
:4luigi:Nothing really catches me
:4ness:I like the new effect for PK Fire and his friends joining in for PK Starstorm is pretty hype. A reticle for PK Rocket is neat too
:4falcon:The meme man has a new F Smash and I like it
:4jigglypuff:Hopefully she's buffed
:4peach:Toad being part of her grab is something I never considered but absolutely adore
Daisy: She's just Peach but less cool
:4bowser:Giga Bowser is a VERY appreciated change
:popo:It's great to see them back, especially with wobbling gone
:4sheik:Nothing interesting to say
:4zelda:Holy **** she's absolutely adorable and her new Final Smash is perfect for her
:4drmario:The new Dair looks satisfying as hell to land
:pichumelee:I don't see the point but oh well
:4falco:New Final Smash is great
:4marth:It's about time this guy started speaking English. Also Shield Breaker seems to be angledcan be angled. Neat!
:4lucina:Can't really tell anything new
:younglinkmelee:He looks unique enough though I don't like three Links
:4ganondorf:THIS GUY LOOKS SIIIICK! Sword attacks are cool as hell, Warlock Punch seems to habe more armour and his final smash is perfect
:4mewtwo:Upsmash looks like it got buffed. Glad to see him looking cool as ever
:4feroy:I hate this guy and Flare Blade being reversable is a good buff
:4gaw:I love the new animations and Octopus looks like it instantly kills whoever gets hit
:4metaknight:The Galacta Knight alt is very appreciated
:4pit:Lightning Chariot is cool but it makes more sense for Pittoo imo
:4darkpit:No noticable changes
:4zss:Her new design is ****ing perfect she FINALLY has muscle and isn't a generic sexy lady and her Final Smash addresses my complaint of how she males the Power Suit loom useless
:4wario:It's great to see the shoulder bash back and Wario Man looks so charming
:snake:It's so great to see him again! New logo is fitting but also kinda sad. Dunno what to think of the new Down Smash though. Final Smash looks cool though
:4myfriends:Old costume is back? New Up Air? Eruption has goddamn shockwaves? Hell ****ing yes
:pt:Shame that Rock Smash is gone but it's so good to see them again! And being able to use Leaf is also great!
:4diddy:Dunno what to think
:4lucas:Oh my gooooood Kumatora and Boney are so cooool
:4sonic:New final smash looks pretty underwhelming. Probably for balance purposes though
:4dedede:****ING YES MASKED DEDEDE! Being able to suck up Gordos is cool as hell too
:4olimar:He still has 3 Pikmin. Huh
:4lucario:No real comment
:4rob:HIS DOWN THROW BURIES PEOPLE! NO MORE HOO HAH FOR HIM Q.Q
:4tlink:New F Smash looks cool
:wolf:It's so good to see him again and it looks like he still has the same awkward yet cool moves as before
:4villager:Looks decent enough
:4megaman:Leaf Shield looks usable this time. Proto Man and Bass are hype as hell too
:4wiifit:Better design, All that needs to be said
:rosalina:New Nair looks fun and auto-equipping items is kinda cool
:4littlemac:Reversable neutral B is great. Being able to act out of Side B is great and I love the new KO Punch
:4greninja:Don't really see any changes
:4miif:Great to see them being improved and getting voice lines
:4palutena:Down B getting Reflect is neat, hope Explosive Flame's good
:4pacman:The Trampoline rework can be fun to watch. Final Smash looks fun as hell
:4robinm:Being able to count your ammo of books and the Levin Sword is great. Also what the hell directional Elwind?
:4shulk:Dunno how to feel about the Monado Arts change but Fiora in the Chain Attack is great. Also why did Buster not get changed to Enchant?
:4bowserjr:No comment
:4duckhunt:I don't like how the dog looks. Seems like a downgrade. Being able to airdodge out of the Up B is cool though
:4ryu:The 1v1 thing looks like a HUGE buff for him
:4cloud:Still looks great, still Japanese but got a well deserved Limit nerf
:4corrin:Why is the male still the default?
:4bayonetta:Great to see her again but I hope she gets toned the **** down
Inkling: I don't care for the character but like what they bring to the table
Ridley: Pretty much THE fanservice character of the game

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

I saw, it's flare blitz. R.I.P Rock Smash 2008-2018.

Troykv

Smash Master
In the hindsight; this seems to be the result of popular demand and the Ballot; and the only character that seems have returned mostly as a compromise is YL

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Waking up to a new day. Honestly, I do have so many positive and negative thoughts to share about this game in terms of maybe gameplay or maybe speculation. My negative thoughts might be so much, that I might potentially quit Smash Switch speculation. Forming a concrete opinion about what I personally feel about Smash Ultimate without sounding contrarian is going to be a difficult task, but it will definitely be a fun exercise. I still need to see everything about what this game has to offer before writing. Expect something in-depth in the coming week maybe.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
:4mario:Cappy and the new Cape animation are cool and the Wedding alt is brilliant
:4dk:I don't play him but he looks more satisfying to hit people with. New Final Smash is appreciated
:4link:It looks like he fires 2 arrows at once. Remote bombs look fun, I'm curious how the new Sword Beam mechanic will work for him and the new Final Smash is a bit of a letdown imo
:4ness:I like the new effect for PK Fire and his friends joining in for PK Starstorm is pretty hype. A reticle for PK Rocket is neat too
:4peach:Toad being part of her grab is something I never considered but absolutely adore
:4zelda:Holy **** she's absolutely adorable and her new Final Smash is perfect for her
:4marth:It's about time this guy started speaking English. Also Shield Breaker seems to be angledcan be angled. Neat!
:4ganondorf:THIS GUY LOOKS SIIIICK! Sword attacks are cool as hell, Warlock Punch seems to habe more armour and his final smash is perfect
:4gaw:I love the new animations and Octopus looks like it instantly kills whoever gets hit
:4zss:Her new design is ****ing perfect she FINALLY has muscle and isn't a generic sexy lady and her Final Smash addresses my complaint of how she males the Power Suit loom useless
:4wario:It's great to see the shoulder bash back and Wario Man looks so charming
:snake:It's so great to see him again! New logo is fitting but also kinda sad. Dunno what to think of the new Down Smash though. Final Smash looks cool though
:4myfriends:Old costume is back? New Up Air? Eruption has goddamn shockwaves? Hell ****ing yes
:pt:Shame that Rock Smash is gone but it's so good to see them again! And being able to use Leaf is also great!
:4sonic:New final smash looks pretty underwhelming. Probably for balance purposes though
:4dedede:****ING YES MASKED DEDEDE! Being able to suck up Gordos is cool as hell too
:wolf:It's so good to see him again and it looks like he still has the same awkward yet cool moves as before
:4megaman:Leaf Shield looks usable this time. Proto Man and Bass are hype as hell too
:4littlemac:Reversable neutral B is great. Being able to act out of Side B is great and I love the new KO Punch
:4pacman:The Trampoline rework can be fun to watch. Final Smash looks fun as hell
:4robinm:Being able to count your ammo of books and the Levin Sword is great. Also what the hell directional Elwind?
:4shulk:Dunno how to feel about the Monado Arts change but Fiora in the Chain Attack is great. Also why did Buster not get changed to Enchant?
:4duckhunt:I don't like how the dog looks. Seems like a downgrade. Being able to airdodge out of the Up B is cool though
Yes! :4wario2: Shoulder bash is back! Thank you Sakurai!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
In the hindsight; this seems to be the result of popular demand and the Ballot; and the only character that seems have returned mostly as a compromise is YL
And even then, is it truly a compromise?

The way I see it, it's a way to preserve the old Link moveset. Even though there wasn't a lot of changes...

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
My guesses for some other newcomers at the moment:

Elma
Simon
Decidueye
Shadow

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Eh not sure about how Shulk's Monado arts changed or not, I only remember his Monado arts are way more easier to use this time.

As for Mario though, I was a bit concerned on his Up B, it felt being nerfed.

?????????????

Smash Master
Waking up to a new day. Honestly, I do have so many positive and negative thoughts to share about this game in terms of maybe gameplay or maybe speculation. My negative thoughts might be so much, that I might potentially quit Smash Switch speculation. Forming a concrete opinion about what I personally feel about Smash Ultimate without sounding contrarian is going to be a difficult task, but it will definitely be a fun exercise. I still need to see everything about what this game has to offer before writing. Expect something in-depth in the coming week maybe.
I'd hate to see you quit altogether, but one thing I do believe is that speculation as we know it is going to change entirely.

As we've seen in previous Smash games, we know absolutely nothing. The whole game and process is flipped again.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
My guesses for somw other newcomers at the moment:

Elma
Simon
Decidueye
Shadow
I really don't know if we'll be seeing anymore pokemon characters after E3.
The fact that Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pichu all came back is already a pretty big amount of new pokemon to play as.
Did anyone happen to catch mimikyu/lycanroc/Decidueye as pokeball pokemon?

Also, if possible, could we restart the poll on this thread after E3 to meet people's new expectactions for newcomer announcements? I feel like the numbers would be much further down.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
My guesses for somw other newcomers at the moment:

Elma
Simon
Decidueye
Shadow
I doubt there will be a Pokemon newcomer. Pokemon trainer represents the current state of people well enough and just look at his new model, it look a lot like the ones used in Lets Go Pikachu and Eevee.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I can't wait to see what happens when Ridley's down B sweetspot hits Buster!Shulk's Vision. Must be ridiculous damage/knockback or maybe it'll even break Vision.

?????????????

Smash Master
Now that Pokemon Trainer is back, I'll be honest...I feel like that character alone takes care of the "starters" thing I cared so much about.

...I'm getting back on the Meowth train! WOO WOO!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Are we still overrating Decidueye? The guy's unique and all, but now that Ivysaur is back, it just lost it's greatest advantage.

At this point, I'd argue Incineroar is way more likely.
I feel like gen 7 is just done at this point, they're moving on to Kanto again

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Are we still overrating Decidueye? The guy's unique and all, but now that Ivysaur is back, it just lost it's greatest advantage.

At this point, I'd argue Incineroar is way more likely.
Claiming that being a grass-type was his greatest advantage before Ivysaur is pretty much saying that Decidueye now has next to zero chance of making it in Smash, which is far from the truth since he's still a highly-demanded character and a popular one at that.

All Ivysaur's return does is make people shut up about a triangle that doesn't even matter in Smash. True supporters of Decidueye have better reasons than "he's a grass-type."

With that said, Incineroar has anime relevance because of Ash's Litten (did it evolve? I don't remember...) and is also a popular Pokemon.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar does make more sense, but at the same time, will Pokemon get a new rep at all? Hmm....

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
117 days until December 7th... Seems like forever, right? It's probably gonna feel like a much shorter wait for the game if we count it as weeks. As of this Friday, it'll be exactly 25 weeks until the game's release. To make it more painless for myself, I'm gonna try to figure out a way to countdown each week until Smash Ultimate releases. Heck, I still need to get a Switch, yet I already plan on buying the game day 1.
Well here's a link to a digital countdown if that helps.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I really don't know if we'll be seeing anymore pokemon characters after E3.
The fact that Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pichu all came back is already a pretty big amount of new pokemon to play as.
Did anyone happen to catch mimikyu/lycanroc/Decidueye as pokeball pokemon?

Also, if possible, could we restart the poll on this thread after E3 to meet people's new expectactions for newcomer announcements? I feel like the numbers would be much further down.
This is what I've been thinking which has put me back into thinking that if we do get someone its gonna be someone from Gen 8 eventually

:4greninja: Battle Bond gives me a HARD pause for gen 7 given the state of things

:pt: Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee

:pichumelee: Is back

:4lucario: Is here

:4jigglypuff: Is here

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Incineroar does make more sense, but at the same time, will Pokemon get a new rep at all?Hmm....
That's my question. With a smaller, more focused newcomer list, Pokémon already having more characters than any other series on the roster, would we get a Pokémon newcomer at all? It feels as though it would be there just to fill a slot.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Claiming that being a grass-type was his greatest advantage before Ivysaur is pretty much saying that Decidueye now has next to zero chance of making it in Smash, which is far from the truth since he's still a highly-demanded character and a popular one at that.

All Ivysaur's return does is make people shut up about a triangle that doesn't even matter in Smash. True supporters of Decidueye have better reasons than "he's a grass-type."

With that said, Incineroar has anime relevance because of Ash's Litten (did it evolve? I don't remember...) and is also a popular Pokemon.
Yeah, this. I don't think type really matters all that much.

Troykv

Smash Master
Until I saw Lycanroc and Mimikyu as Pokémon Assist.. I will still think there are posibilities for Pokémon Newcomer.... But unlike previous games... This time isn't needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom