• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Apparently you can ink assist trophies. :p

Also, what do you guys think are the chances of an E-shop demo?
The demo will happen in November. From what Sakurai said after the tournament, the game is still a long ways from being finished, so releasing a demo in the near future wouldn’t give players an accurate depiction of what the game is like.

Also remember to sign up for the Nintendo promotional emails since they sometimes give out demos from those.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Do you think that the Story Mode would be like Melee?

To make a story mode like Subspace Emissary, it would take a hell like 3 or 4 years to do so.
Renember when Brawl was released? It was 2008. I suppose that the Subspace Emissary is something to do with this.
I'm thinking a mid point. i.e. there's a map screen and you can chose what ones to do but the levels themselves are mostly based on existing stages. (like how the F-Zero platforming stage was based off Big Blue)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There is 6 months and DLC left for new stuff. The pessimism people are showing is silly to me.
Sometimes you have to be pessimistic. Assuming that the Pokemon Trainer and the Mii Fighters cover only one roster slot, we currently have 64 occupied roster slots, which increases to 65 if you include the "Random" slot.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, I wonder if any ballot characters will be newcomers in Smash? It was said that the ballot would influence who would get into the next game. I don't count Ridley because while he was popular, he was already a boss in the last game, so I don't think he was voted as much as some others, though I could be wrong. Anyway, besides King K. Rool, what other ballot characters do you see making it in Ultimate?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So, I wonder if any ballot characters will be newcomers in Smash? It was said that the ballot would influence who would get into the next game. I don't count Ridley because while he was popular, he was already a boss in the last game, so I don't think he was voted as much as some others, though I could be wrong. Anyway, besides King K. Rool, what other ballot characters do you see making it in Ultimate?
Isaac, Elma, Bandana Dee, and Dixie (though I think Dixie will likely be an Echo fighter, especially with K. Rool in).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I might have skipped over it being mentioned, but did anyone else thing the face textures on the realistically-proportioned people looked kind of bad? I'm particularly thinking Ike and Snake, though it applies to all of them. I'm not sure what it is, sometimes it almost looked like they were using a texture that was too low resolution and the outlines around the eyes were pretty dark.
I think the lighting is off on characters like Mario and Pikachu, at least compared to their renders.

But considering all the graphical changes from E3 2014 to Smash 4's launch, they'll probably fix them.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I beleive someone said we don't know if Krystal is an assist, so I'm going to say right now that she got summoned in Treehouse Live.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beleive someone said we don't know if Krystal is an assist, so I'm going to say right now that she got summoned in Treehouse Live.
She was also summoned in Fox's character video.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Guys, when people say they're disappointed, remember, the direct almost exclusively showcased Smash. If someone isn't a fan then of course they'll be disappointed by this. I'm gonna look at all the fighter videos and stuff so I can say my full thoughts on everything too

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Has anyone seen Gray Fox yet? I'd bet an uncertain amount of money he is back as an Assist Trophy.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Has anyone seen Gray Fox yet? I'd bet an uncertain amount of money he is back as an Assist Trophy.
Not yet, but I'd agree.

Not only is Snake and Shadow Moses Island back, but Scizor returned, and he's been gone from Pokeballs since Melee. So old Assist Trophies seem to have a good chance now.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Also, I like how they're calling character like Daisy echo fighters, just so everyone knows it's not going to be entirely unique.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Guys, when people say they're disappointed, remember, the direct almost exclusively showcased Smash. If someone isn't a fan then of course they'll be disappointed by this. I'm gonna look at all the fighter videos and stuff so I can say my full thoughts on everything too
If you're reffering to someone on here saying they're dissapointed...well this is Smash Boards so that's kinda weird lol. BUT, I was a little surprised at the lack of any real reveals or news on new games. If it wasn't for Smash and the fact that Ridley was my most wanted, this E3 totally would have sucked.

Speaking of Ridley is there any footage anywhere of him winning a match? 1. I want to see him wreck some ass and 2. I wanna see victory poses / try to hear if he has a different victory theme over all the background noise. The current calm Metroid victory tune doesn't fit him at all imo.

Finally, and maybe I should post this in the Ridley section but I'm also curious for people who had there most wanted confirmed for Smash 4, does anyone else feel a great sense of relief now that I don't have to wait for every newcomer reveal hoping it's my most wanted, and instead I can just ride a long for the surprises? Like I don't even care about rumors and leaks anymore I'd rather be surprised.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I believe Porky have a chance to make it.
This Smash game is not just Smash 5, but a celebration of all the past smash games, Daisy has been just an alt color for Peach for so long, and Ridley... well Ridley is obvious.
It is very possible that a story mode was added and with that, the bosses that had that mode, Porky and Ridley both have 2 different forms and boss battles, and Sakurai has bring back Pork city, which means Porky theme is back too.
So, Porky has been in Sakurai's mind recently yes or yes.
Now, it is also very possible that Porky is back as a boss and nothing more, but hey... at least he would be back in a better way that as a thropy in smash 4.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I suppose it can still work with the Metroid canon. Other M Ridley is just a clone of the original.

Of course, most people won't know that, so Ridley fighting Ridley may seem a tad strange.
That brings up question I wanted to ask not just to you, but to anyone seeing this (hopefully not in hindsight stupid) question.

But before I ask it, a small disclaimer: Though it still stings, I have accepted the loss of my favorite, and most wanted newcomers just as well as most of the others here who accepted the loss of their wanted newcomers; sadden but eagerly looking towards the future for what Sakurai has in store for us a couple months for now.

Ok way longer disclaimer than I had planed aside, we'll be getting DLC, and most likely there'll be a ballot to go along with it. Do you think that regardless of a character being an Assist Trophy, if they get the most votes during the ballot, do you think Sakurai would make an exception, and make that character?
If custom moves are gone the ones I will miss the most are:
- Wii Fit Trainer's Jumbo Hoops
- Ganondorf's Warlock Blade an Wizard's Dropkick
- Palutena's Super Speed and Jump Glide
- Rosalina's Shooting Star bits and Luma warp
Palutena's lightweight says hello too how often do you become FASTER THAN SONIC? I mean that's just wild.

I'm hoping that Palutena new side B is lightweight if not, then hopefully side b and neutral b are something more offensive like obtaining a random Zodiac weapon to use from her game or choose which one you want the way you do for Shulk now in this game.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
OKAY, SO.

My time with Smash.

Keep a few things in mind here:
-I play competitive, I go to tourneys, but I am absolutely NOT a leading authority on Smash. So take my "opinions" and "analysis" with a grain of salt.
-I only had 3 two minute games in a casual setting. As much as I really wanted to test things out, I didn't really want to ruin the fun of the others playing with me by just going off and doing my own thing to test changes and mechanics. I did my best though.
-The stations used Pro Controllers and that threw me off WAY more than it should have. Like, I couldn't even find the dang grab button somehow. Combine that with Tap Jump and things just went a bit weird for me at times.
-I'll probably end up repeating things much better players with much more time with the game have already shared.

Anyways, getting right into it.

WOOMY!
-Really fun.
-Very Unorthodox, as I'm sure people can already tell. Good thing my two mains are as unorthodox as they come. My first minute of the match was a bit of a struggle, but for the rest of it I did get them down a bit more.
-Their run animation puts them into squid form and essentially riding an ink wave like they would swimming through ink in Splatoon. They were surprisingly a bit slippery when doing this, not like Ice Physics or anything, but it felt a bit buttery running around.
-Roller (Side B) has a surprisingly fast startup. I was caught off guard several times by another Inkling player spamming it.
-Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but you are slower when walking on the ink the Rollers puts down.
-Splattershot is actually pretty good at stopping approaches. I feel characters with frontal approaches like Sonic are probably going to have a tough time. It's essentially a wall as long as you keep using it.
-Ink is actually pretty plentiful. I only really had to recharge once. I may not have used as much ink as I could have, though.
-Smash Attacks and such don't seem to use up Ink. I think.
-It seems easier to ink someone up at higher percentages, at least with the Splattershot. Makes KOing easier, obviously.
-Air attacks are pretty average
-Woomy has a dedicated taunt and I can and will use it.
-Purple Inkling Girl is the one true color option and this is not debatable.

Barney The Dinosaur!

-I... wasn't really digging him, honestly. Not my playstyle, but even then, Ridley felt kind of... basic. I mean, he's accurate to his source, for sure. But I just personally don't see anything really "WOW" about him.
-Air attacks are really good, as they should be
-His rapid jab is insane, but that seems to be a common theme with rapid jabs this time.
-Meta Ridley (Or is it his Samus Return costume?) from the trailer was not selectable. Could maybe be a sign of more alts to come for other character who don't have them?
-He has no Pogo Stick tail and I was really kind of hoping that would be a thing.
...I really don't have much else to add to him. Again, I just wasn't really feeling him.

Super Fighting Robot!

-Feels as good as ever
-Can still re-pick up Metal Blades and combo with it. Didn't have enough time to test Z Dropping.
-Charge Shot/ Side Smash can be charged, like, REALLY long. It was kinda a blink-and-missed it kind of thing for me, but I think I charged it so long that Mega Man got tired out and stopped doing it, kinda like Luigi's side B. I dunno, I might have been imagining it
-A lot of his attacks feel less laggy, especially his aireals, the startup on Down Smash and most notably leaf shield.
-Up air seems weaker, still good but probably won't be as insane as before
-Dash attack/Top Spin is REALLY weird with the new hit stun, it just kinda drags out a bit too long when it connects.

General things I noticed:
-The game feels different. There is definitely more weight to everything and it feels speedier. Spammed some Smash 3DS in before I went in and all it served to do was throw me off. Smash 4 port this ain't.
-Because I'm a try hard, first thing I tried to do was wavedash. Didn't work. You do get a bit off of it but not enough to be worth it.
-Wave LANDING, however, feels amazing and I'm really glad it's a thing.
-The movement you get off it is very strange, but being able to act out of it with the momentum shift it gives you is going to be fun, I can already tell.
-Footstooling is still here, dunno if it's tech-able but I'm gonna assume its not.
-Abra is a Pokeball Mon now and I hate his guts. He will literally go around and warp players off stage in the blink of an eye. You can recover from it, and it's clever, but it was such a beginners trap, haha.
-There are SO MANY minor animation details in this game that are just so incredible and give everything so much personality
-Great Plateau's tower crumbling doesn't seem to hurt you? I might have just missed that. Either way both of the new stages are pretty chill. I can see Great Plateau being a counterpick if the crumbling indeed doesn't damage people. I don't think Moray Towers' blast zone size, weird as heck platforms and such are gonna fly though, hazards or not.

All in all?
Really, really loving it. Gonna try and get more time in Thursday since press will be mostly gone, hype will have died down, people will be riding shuttles to the airport every hour, and it's the longest day us with the Gamertags have.

If you guys have anything you REALLY want me to check, let me know. If it's character specific I'll try and get around to them, but right now I think my next choices to try out are Zelda and Snake, maybe a bit more Woomy.
I really want to know, does the smash stick work like Brawl or Sm4sh? Might really determine whether people choose tilt stick vs. smash stick controls.

Like if you hold it, does it charge smashes or no? And in the air, can you move left/right while holding it?

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
View attachment 148112
Here it is, the 100% final version of my prediction roster.

In case you were wondering

Wii Fit Logo = New Modern IP Character (Tethu, Rhythm Heaven Character, Spring Man, etc.)
Gyromite Logo = New Retro Character
Kirby Logo =New Kirby Character
Pokemon Logo = Gen 7 Pokemon (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Incineroar, etc.)
Smash Bros Logo = 2nd Echo Clone
Sonic Logo = New Third Party Character

Anybody wanna critique my roster?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Honestly i hope people can stop complaining that "it's not melee."
Most of the complaints aren't that it isn't Melee but that's it's still too slow, there's barely any hitstun, and rage still exists. I've seen about one person complain about lack of movement options so far.
Does anyone know what happens if you try to waveland in this game? Is there lag before you can act?

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Anybody wanna critique my roster?
I appreciate how realistic it is compared to other rosters. At the same time, three 3rd party character may be pushing it a bit to high. I think 2 may be a bit more reasonable.

That brings up question I wanted to ask not just to you, but to anyone seeing this (hopefully not in hindsight stupid) question.

But before I ask it, a small disclaimer: Though it still stings, I have accepted the loss of my favorite, and most wanted newcomers just as well as most of the others here who accepted the loss of their wanted newcomers; sadden but eagerly looking towards the future for what Sakurai has in store for us a couple months for now.

Ok way longer disclaimer than I had planed aside, we'll be getting DLC, and most likely there'll be a ballot to go along with it. Do you think that regardless of a character being an Assist Trophy, if they get the most votes during the ballot, do you think Sakurai would make an exception, and make that character?

Palutena's lightweight says hello too how often do you become FASTER THAN SONIC? I mean that's just wild.

I'm hoping that Palutena new side B is lightweight if not, then hopefully side b and neutral b are something more offensive like obtaining a random Zodiac weapon to use from her game or choose which one you want the way you do for Shulk now in this game.
If I'm honest, I doubt it. I hate to crush any dreams here, but if they wanted... Let's say Waluigi to be in Smash, they would have to remove his assist trophy.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

iirc Both Auto-Reticle and Explosive Flame were shown so those likely take up Neutral and Side B. Counter remains her Down B with her old Side B Reflect Barrier being merged into it. That just leaves Up Special, so I doubt Lightweight made it back in.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So...
Still no news yet on the singleplayer/multiplayer modes, and for obvious reasons, of course. Due to how big the roster is now, the possibility of a Brawl-styled Adventure Mode doesn't look very likely. That's alright... at least I got my boy :younglinkmelee: back as well as :snake:.

Zeox

Smash Champion
So...
Still no news yet on the singleplayer/multiplayer modes, and for obvious reasons, of course. Due to how big the roster is now, the possibility of a Brawl-styled Adventure Mode doesn't look very likely. That's alright... at least I got my boy :younglinkmelee: back as well as :snake:.
But the fact that this Smash have everything from other smash games and look like a celebration of every smash makes more possible to have an adventure mode, maybe not like brawl but similar.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So...
There's no info on modes at all yet. I wouldn't say that eliminates Adventure Mode, any more than it confirms it.

More likely, I think that's some of the new info they're going to tell us between now and December.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can’t imagine how many stages are gonna be in Smash Ultimate...and songs...there’s already so much confirmed through 20 second trailers and normal trailers

Pakky

Smash Hero
I can’t imagine how many stages are gonna be in Smash Ultimate...and songs...there’s already so much confirmed through 20 second trailers and normal trailers
"Call into the night" is back this is amazing.

Finally, and maybe I should post this in the Ridley section but I'm also curious for people who had there most wanted confirmed for Smash 4, does anyone else feel a great sense of relief now that I don't have to wait for every newcomer reveal hoping it's my most wanted, and instead I can just ride a long for the surprises? Like I don't even care about rumors and leaks anymore I'd rather be surprised.
On my list I had three really big ones that I wanted

1. Ridely

2. Rool

3. BWD

With Ridley here I feel very at ease though Rool has me hopeful. That costume keeps me up at night.

BWD feels like a OCD quality of life sort of thing for me. Like he's only gotten more prominent as the years have rolled on by.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I think when the say they don't understand why people are upset, they're talking about them being upset at smash.
But hey, if someone doesn't like it that's fine with me tbh

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Guys I don't know how you expect 10+ newcomers when we are so close to the game's release. We have at max 3 more directs, meaning we will probably get three more newcomers before release. We could also get some hidden newcomers in the final, maybe two at most? So, without counting echoes, I think it's really unreasonable to expect more than five additional newcomers in the final release. Thankfully, we have DLC, which I think we could get upwards of ten characters in.

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
(image)

Wait, what stage is this? Can't recall having seen it yet
This is Corneria, isn't it? There might be a little bit of it in some of the videos but I'm not sure. It's also in the background of one of the website's pages.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I appreciate how realistic it is compared to other rosters. At the same time, three 3rd party character may be pushing it a bit to high. I think 2 may be a bit more reasonable.

If I'm honest, I doubt it. I hate to crush any dreams here, but if they wanted... Let's say Waluigi to be in Smash, they would have to remove his assist trophy.
Yeah I'd figured so and doing so is more trouble than it's worth.
iirc Both Auto-Reticle and Explosive Flame were shown so those likely take up Neutral and Side B. Counter remains her Down B with her old Side B Reflect Barrier being merged into it. That just leaves Up Special, so I doubt Lightweight made it back in.
Iirc Up Special is Warp, so that's everything but at least I can say her moves are looking at lot more offensive than before which is what I wanted, all I'm hoping from her at this point is that she has a significantly shorter frame rate in general and her moves has significantly less end lag cause playing with her is a blast (I'm hoping for those two same things with Zelda too).

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123

Wait, what stage is this? Can't recall having seen it yet
May it be the new Final Destination?
I should go rewatch the invitational, but I recall it being really sunny and panoramic.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm gonna go ahead and say...

If a character, like Waluigi for example, winds up getting a lot of fan demand, then it's possible (even as DLC for THIS game) for them to become playable and just co-exist as an Assist Trophy.

I mean...characters can already have 8 iterations of themselves on the battlefield at once, right? So what's the big deal?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm gonna go ahead and say...

If a character, like Waluigi for example, winds up getting a lot of fan demand, then it's possible (even as DLC for THIS game) for them to become playable and just co-exist as an Assist Trophy.

I mean...characters can already have 8 iterations of themselves on the battlefield at once, right? So what's the big deal?
here's a question can Ridley still act as a boss if he's not on the stage at the time? Kinda like Toon Link's situation?

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
here's a question can Ridley still act as a boss if he's not on the stage at the time? Kinda like Toon Link's situation?
If you're specifically talking about Pyrosphere's Ridley, I don't see why not. They look so aesthetically different.

Plus, I mean...every iteration of Ridley is different. Some are the original, some are clones, some are mechanical reconstructions... I don't think it's any stranger than having three playable Links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom