• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I don't think so, as an enhanced port at least. I wouldn't be amiss if they had it a few months in though. Personally I think they need a good 3-4 big games at launch and a major title (preferably exclusive) every month 'till Christmas rush if they want this thing to succeed; coming in against the established PS4 they need a butt tonne of momentum to ride into the christmas sales... and what is essentially a port with a few added characters and another wave of DLC is a great way to do just that; heck if they can put out 2 packs of DLC between launch and their big Christmas game then they'd be in a great position. That'd be at least 2 months with 2 major releases... maybe another DLC bonus if Mario Kart 9 happens too (as is rumoured).

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They seem pretty adamant that Sakurai isn't working on Smash, and the last two patches don't really seem like something he'd do. I don't think they'd add to Sakurai's game without him directly working on it either, so I'm very doubtful a SSBU for NX would have much extra.

I dunno, I'm keeping my expectations in check for this one. A SSB port isn't that unlikely, but remember we have no evidence pointing towards getting anything but what we already had.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I don't see Smash NX being a launch title.

But, I could see it being released a year or two down the road, even as a game announced for the NX. It would be interesting to see what a Sakurai-less project would yield.

Enzoul

Smash Rookie
Allow me to add some pieces to the puzzle.

-The ports rumor. You've probably heard of it, there was a while back a rumor about ports of Smash, Zelda, Splatoon and Mario Maker coming to the NX, which was backed up by the famous leaker : Emily Rogers.

-Sakurai's New Project. In an interview, Sakurai declared that while he enjoyed it's time in vacations, his next project was already decided. And no, it wasn't Kirby : Planet Robobot as Sakurai didn't work on it.

-NX's strong line-up. Reggie said multiple times that the NX will have a very strong line-up. Plus, the people that bought Splatoon and others/those who saved their money for the NX might want to continue playing/discover those games on the new system.

-Characters. The main point of Smash is the characters. And that's the case for everyone. First, there's Sakurai who despite being tired of working, loves doing new and exciting characters and mechanics. There's also the fan-base. Come on, EVERYTHING was pointing towards the Ballot giving more than 1 character and it even specified that the votes could be used for other games.
And the unique and fresh characters are there.
Inklings NEED to be in Smash, a certain controversial third-party character seems like a perfect fit, DK definitely needs a new rep (Dixie and/or K. Rool) and I don't want to spoil people, but the leaked final evolution for Rowlet seems like a natural fit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that some people are rather depressed that Smash 3DS / Wii U has nothing else to offer, but it should be noted that even Sakurai has his limits, and trying to stay healthy is a higher priority than trying to make new games.

Goont

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrankingMaster
3DS FC
3024-5691-5601
Switch FC
SW-1032-2125-3356
I see Smash NX as very likely, but just as a compilation of 3DS and Wii U content/DLC, with no involvement from Sakurai. It's a very easy launch title to throw together that would sell very well. Heck, if it's just Wii U with all the DLC it could even have crossplay online.

Enzoul

Smash Rookie
-Iwata talking about your favorite characterS fighting against Mario or Link.
-The scale of the ballot.
-Other uses of plurality.

Goont

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrankingMaster
3DS FC
3024-5691-5601
Switch FC
SW-1032-2125-3356

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Whether or not there's going to be new characters at all in this port is a mystery. I'd say it's 50/50 really.

That is of course if the rumored Smash NX port is actually a thing. For all we know it could have been false information given to the guy that leaked the information.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Just to tell, I had a bizarre dream recently in which SSB NX came out and had as many animals (expecially dogs) on their fours as swordfighters in Super Smash Bros. 4: The Duck Hunt Duo, Wolf Link and Midna, Amaterasu, Chibiterasu, Keldeo, Suicune and even Shadow Dancer with his dog.
There was someone else but I can't remember very well. I guess playing a lot with Suicune in Pokken Tournament influenced me.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just to tell, I had a bizarre dream recently in which SSB NX came out and had as many animals (expecially dogs) on their fours as swordfighters in Super Smash Bros. 4: The Duck Hunt Duo, Wolf Link and Midna, Amaterasu, Chibiterasu, Keldeo, Suicune and even Shadow Dancer with his dog.
There was someone else but I can't remember very well. I guess playing a lot with Suicune in Pokken Tournament influenced me.
I had Smash Bros related dreams for Roy, Wolf, Andy, and 2 other characters I couldn't exactly identify.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Question: What if instead of expanting the roster very much this time they expand the personalization of the characters and of the Mii-Fighters? What if they raise the slots from three to five or to seven? Including the kinds of Mii Ftghrers.
What if even characters can get costumes? Like Valkirie dress for Princess Peach, Chain Chomp skin for Pacman and Taizo Hori suit for Captain Falcon.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah Mario Kart getting new content makes me almost certain that their will be new characters in the game.

As a matter of fact i'm going to make a bold prediction that this port will be launched in the Holiday season (Oct-Dec) as opposed to Mario Kart being released at the Switch's launch and will include 12 new characters bringing the total roster count to 70 in addition to other things like stages and misc content.

As for how the character split is going to be, I can see 2 vets returning, 7 Nintendo newcomers, and 3 third party characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It just hit me, the Switch doesn't seem like it's gonna have that much internal storage but what if they compensate for it by having the save data on the cards like the 3DS and old Cartridge home systems. Make oodles more sense that the Vita's expensive as **** memory cards.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It just hit me, the Switch doesn't seem like it's gonna have that much internal storage but what if they compensate for it by having the save data on the cards like the 3DS and old Cartridge home systems. Make oodles more sense that the Vita's expensive as **** memory cards.
Usually save data amounts to about nothing. No idea why the Vita's cards are so expensive and small...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If they are going to add extra content to the Switch version, I could pretty much see Wolf and Ice Climbers coming back and perhaps bring in a number of newcomer characters such as the Inkling of Splatoon as playables and maybe some extra new stages.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I wonder if we'll get Rowlet's Final Evolution. Rowlet does appear the most popular of the starters like Froakie was and his evo's design also seems the most popular going by the leaks. It'd be kinda sad for Sceptile to be overlooked but I could see it happening, and an archer character would still be pretty cool.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I said this before in another thread. If there's going to be a Smash Bros port on the Switch it needs to be treated almost like a new game only that it's going to be an enhanced Wii U version.

They need to add like 12 additional characters, add in 3DS and new stages, and have an Adventure mode in the game IMO.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
...and an archer character would still be pretty cool.
Like the two we already have?
Seems more like they'd go for Lycanarok anyway...

I said this before in another thread. If there's going to be a Smash Bros port on the Switch it needs to be treated almost like a new game only that it's going to be an enhanced Wii U version.

They need to add like 12 additional characters, add in 3DS and new stages, and have an Adventure mode in the game IMO.
Problem with that is that I don't think Sakurai would be working on the project, and considering this is his baby, they wouldn't add a bunch of stuff without him. Since the patches we later got were definitely more Namco's doing and how it'd be silly to leave for like three months only to return, I veeeeery much doubt the port will have new content.

Furthermore, if they wanted people talking about Smash again, they would of shown us something new in the trailer. All the other big games were there, just not Smash. More then likely they're holding off for later so they can explain what exactly the Smash port is so people won't be crushed when they explain it's the same game just with the DLC preinstalled.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Problem with that is that I don't think Sakurai would be working on the project, and considering this is his baby, they wouldn't add a bunch of stuff without him. Since the patches we later got were definitely more Namco's doing and how it'd be silly to leave for like three months only to return, I veeeeery much doubt the port will have new content.

Furthermore, if they wanted people talking about Smash again, they would of shown us something new in the trailer. All the other big games were there, just not Smash. More then likely they're holding off for later so they can explain what exactly the Smash port is so people won't be crushed when they explain it's the same game just with the DLC preinstalled.
Just because it wasn't shown in the trailer doesn't mean it's not going to happen. If anything you would want to show something as big as Smash Bros in the actual Switch Direct in January/February as opposed to the small trailer.

If this is going to be the definitive Smash game for the Switch then I could totally see them bringing Sakurai back just for this game with the promise that he won't have to work on another Smash Bros game for a long time. Especially if it's a deal where they're releasing the game in Holiday 2017 and need to get a bunch of newcomers for the game.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Well, 1 and a clone. But you do have a point, I thought of him more as a swordsman with 1 archery move, but you are right, Dartitx' evo would probably be much the same.

As for Lycanrock, there are 2 of them so I really doubt it.

Also I don't think we need 12 characters, just 6-8 of the right ones... and with the survey they should know who those are.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
If this game "Super Smash Bros. Switch" ("Super Smash Bros. Swift") is to be made as an enhanced port of "Smash 4" for the Nintendo Switch (formerly called Nintendo NX), there are many problems that need to be fixed.

- FIX THE DARN TOP KO RANDOMNESS PLEASE (and no random tripping from "Brawl" please)! Seriously, the randomness on those top KOs (even if they're not truly random) is very bad for the metagame, especially in last stock situations. Make the Star KOs/Screen KOs occur for on-stage moves and upward Blast KOs occur for off-stage moves, even on Training Mode. That way, there would be no unfair wins or losses, as well as unfair punishes, and the matches would go much more smoother, even if it isn't 100% perfect.
- Fix the random untechable spin animation (100% damage or more)! Same reason as said above!
- Add voice clips for certain characters (such as Villager, Mega Man and Pac-Man) when they get Star KO'd. For Villager, add a sound effect for when he/she gets hit by an item from "Mario Kart 8". For Mega Man, add the voice clip when he dies from "Mega Man 8". For Pac-Man, add the dying sound effect from a very old arcade "Pac-Man" game.
- The Rage mechanic should only be in play from 100% damage up to 150% damage (VERY UNLIKELY), and it should be a factor on Training Mode.
- Crowd cheers quality should be improved, and the crowd should chant 8 times when the character is at 100% damage or more.

For every other problem (especially online, as people are just rude and rage quitting, and the random opponent picking), fix them please!

----------

If this game is going to intentionally have more characters on the roster, add Dixie Kong and Pichu. Dixie Kong is just as agile (but slower) as Diddy Kong. Pichu hasn't been seen in any "Smash" game since "Melee". Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario were brought back from "Melee", so why not Pichu too? And if possible, maybe Snake (though he is dead now, due to accelerated aging), Wolf, and Ice Climbers can be brought back from "Brawl" too, along with Ivysaur and Squirtle (without Pokémon Trainer). Obviously, Young Link from "Melee" won't be brought back because he was replaced by Toon Link from "Brawl".

Obviously, keep all the DLC characters!

----------

Add more features from the previous "Smash" games.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just because it wasn't shown in the trailer doesn't mean it's not going to happen. If anything you would want to show something as big as Smash Bros in the actual Switch Direct in January/February as opposed to the small trailer.

If this is going to be the definitive Smash game for the Switch then I could totally see them bringing Sakurai back just for this game with the promise that he won't have to work on another Smash Bros game for a long time. Especially if it's a deal where they're releasing the game in Holiday 2017 and need to get a bunch of newcomers for the game.
Thing is that they'd try and feed the hype machine if it was going to have new stuff. The only reason they wouldn't is if it could backfire, like if they had absolutely nothing to add.

I still don't see Sakurai coming back to this entry when he left already...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thing is that they'd try and feed the hype machine if it was going to have new stuff. The only reason they wouldn't is if it could backfire, like if they had absolutely nothing to add.

I still don't see Sakurai coming back to this entry when he left already...
Again, they don't have to show everything off there. Especially if this port is going to have a lot of content and is going to be released in like the Holiday season instead of Launch. There's a bunch of big games we probably don't know about. Not only that but there's games that already fulfill that role like the Mario Kart game and the new 3D Mario one.

I can see him coming back to do this personally if he was told that this Smash Bros game would be the definitive Smash for the Switch so that he wouldn't have to come back for a brand new game. If anything he could give specific instructions to the devs on how he wants the characters to play and change them if he thinks they're not what he wants them to be.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wonder if we'll get Rowlet's Final Evolution. Rowlet does appear the most popular of the starters like Froakie was and his evo's design also seems the most popular going by the leaks. It'd be kinda sad for Sceptile to be overlooked but I could see it happening, and an archer character would still be pretty cool.
Froakie wasn't the most popular starter until people saw the following forms.

But yeah I agree if any Gen VII starter gets in it'll be the owl.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Again, they don't have to show everything off there. Especially if this port is going to have a lot of content and is going to be released in like the Holiday season instead of Launch. There's a bunch of big games we probably don't know about. Not only that but there's games that already fulfill that role like the Mario Kart game and the new 3D Mario one.

I can see him coming back to do this personally if he was told that this Smash Bros game would be the definitive Smash for the Switch so that he wouldn't have to come back for a brand new game. If anything he could give specific instructions to the devs on how he wants the characters to play and change them if he thinks they're not what he wants them to be.
It's that we have signs that are pointing towards this being a bare-bones port if it's even still on the table.

Sakurai doesn't half-ass things. Smash 4 was already made to be the definitive Smash game...

He wouldn't just give instructions either. He'd be working hard and doing things himself. Again, he doesn't half-ass things. Maybe if it was just 99% straight port with some balance changes and 3DS/Brawl content I could see him in a passive role, but anything more then that and he'd be there.

Froakie wasn't the most popular starter until people saw the following forms.

But yeah I agree if any Gen VII starter gets in it'll be the owl.
It'd be funny though if the other two passed him because they're better competitively... From what we know right now he looks like the worst of the three, though it's not much.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'd be funny though if the other two passed him because they're better competitively... From what we know right now he looks like the worst of the three, though it's not much.
Well if popularity was predicated on competitive viability I don't think Charizard would be in the same position he's always been in.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well if popularity was predicated on competitive viability I don't think Charizard would be in the same position he's always been in.
Well that was gen 1 when competitive didn't exist...

Most of Greninja's early popularity came from how useful he was competitively, since at the time everybody thought the starters were ugly one way or another.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's that we have signs that are pointing towards this being a bare-bones port if it's even still on the table.

Sakurai doesn't half-*** things. Smash 4 was already made to be the definitive Smash game...

He wouldn't just give instructions either. He'd be working hard and doing things himself. Again, he doesn't half-*** things. Maybe if it was just 99% straight port with some balance changes and 3DS/Brawl content I could see him in a passive role, but anything more then that and he'd be there.
I find that very hard to believe that Mario Kart and Splatoon would get new content yet Smash wouldn't get any new characters. What would be even more cheap is if Nintendo straight up ported the same game on to the same platform with no additional characters added in. Personally I wouldn't even give the game a second look if that was the case especially considering I own two versions of the game and I don't see why others won't think the same thing. You might bring up the argument of "Smash Switch is for people who haven't bough Smash Wii U" when in reality we don't even know how well the Switch is going to sell that would warrant them porting the same game with nothing added in to the console. If the Switch is selling like 15-20 million consoles in it's 1st or 2nd year then chances are those people buying are going to be pre-existing Wii U owners who already own Smash Wii U. If all your doing is releasing the same game or adding like 2 vets then i'm not throwing $80 for that as is a lot of other people.

You raise a good point about Sakurai wanting to be hands on. Like I said before if said port is going to have a bunch of new characters added in with it being Smash Wii U worked from the ground up and is essentially going to be the Smash game for the NX then I can see him wanting to take the project on knowing he can move on to something later and not worry about another Smash Bros game for a very long time. The dev time for making a port with a lot of characters added in VS the time needed for a brand new game is much smaller so I don't see him wanting to do the later.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well that was gen 1 when competitive didn't exist...

Most of Greninja's early popularity came from how useful he was competitively, since at the time everybody thought the starters were ugly one way or another.
If that was the case Charizard's popularity would've waned afterwards, not continued to flourish.

In a series like Pokemon the actual highly competitive aspect represents a very small portion of the total fanbase, much like with Smash. Being competitively viable may aid a character's popularity, but it's hardly the only factor in determining which ones resonate with the fanbase at large. Especially in Japan where a lot of the cute (and weaker) Pokemon find popularity.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Being they can't properly port Smash 4 due to the lack of a touch screen, it's pretty likely we're getting unique content. This messes with both version's controls. In addition, when you're forced to change it up due to a different control scheme, there's little reason to barely do anything. Just combing both versions doesn't do much in general. And we already know that some features were intended due to being because of what system it's on. Smash Run is specifically on the 3DS version because of everyone having their own screen. It also only works well due to multiple screens too.

It's going to feel like it's own version, and there's little reason to not add more characters now that Sakurai knows how much ones like Wolf and Ice Climbers were really important to many. If the game was started way back when the NX(Switch) dev kits were sent out, then they have more than enough time for an enhanced port. I can't see an all new game being nearly as easy to make for launch.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Tonight I had another funny dream: I dreamt that Ganondrof was in Mortal Kombat Switch and Sub-Zero was in Super Smash Bros. Switch. And his final Smash was the Babality, which turned temporaryly all the characters in the baby version of theirself, included R.O.B. XD
Now, I don't know what's the most unrealistic part. If a Mortal Kombat char in Super Smash Bros. or they making baby models of all the characters just for one final smash.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
The form of Ash's Greninja, the Ash-Greninga, you know, the Bond Phenomenon, it caming in Pokémon Sun & Moon versions. This saw in the Bulbapedia.net. Maybe to have a second chance the Greninja, to appear in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch and have this as its Final Smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Ah well, if it's just a bare bones re-release, I can deal with that.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Since there are some few rumors and news about Smash Switch so I guess it's more likely we are going to get Smash Switch. Let hope that we are going to get new playable characters for upcoming version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom