• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Wrath: Ganondorf/Ridley
Pride: Incineroar
Lust: Bowser
Greed: Wario
Gluttony: Dedede/K. Rool
Envy: Mewtwo
Sloth: Dedede again?

D

Deleted member

That I understand and tolerate. But this boy, oh no, he was a far cry from the kinds of fans that you're talking about; look for yourself and see what I mean.
View attachment 183461
"Ultimate's online is as bad as Brawl's"

49e5aa094d86f22a57a55f494b1fa9b4.gif

Yeah, no.

Ultimate had poor matchmaking, which has now been greatly improved and is getting the online back to where it was with Smash 4, being a decent, although admittedly super flawed experience with varying performances depending on who you're matched up with.

Brawl was an unusable dumpster fire, and that isn't hyperbole; it was that bad.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Alright folks. I'm actually leaving again for a while this time (though like I said, i'll probably still read... Hard to break habits).
Take care everyone. I'll see you in while, after the holidays maybe.
Seriously, Pride is definitely Incineroar.
also this absolutely

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
people forget that lust as a sin isn't "generic sexy" and is supposed to be about people lusting over other people/things like a complete creepozoid

lust is the first dungeon in persona 5 how can you not know that's what lust is supposed to be

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
"Ultimate's online is as bad as Brawl's"

View attachment 183469

Yeah, no.

Ultimate had poor matchmaking, which has now been greatly improved and is getting the online back to where it was with Smash 4, being a decent, although admittedly super flawed experience with varying performances depending on who you're matched up with.

Brawl was an unusable dumpster fire, and that isn't hyperbole; it was that bad.
Anyone who thinks Ultimate's online is as bad as Brawl's is clearly not remembering it correctly.

D

Deleted member

Wrath:Mario, he hates his brother and murders goombas
Pride:Mario, he has so many games and has his face on everything
Envy:Mario, he wishes for the attitude of his contemporaries
Greed:Mario, he’s unwilling to share the spotlight
Gluttony:Mario, he constantly indulges on powerups
Sloth:Mario, see the New Super Mario Bros series
Lust:Mario, he constantly lusts after the princess in each game
But that’s just a theory, a SHAME THEORY, THANKS FOR WATCHING

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright here's my take on the seven deadly sins in Smash.
Greed: :ultkirby: This guy would go to extreme lengths just for a single piece of cake.
Wrath: :ultkirby: Have you guys ever seen him with the supernova power up? He's terrifying.
Gluttony: :ultkirby: Do I really have to spell this one out for you?
Pride: :ultkirby: This little scumbag always does this dumb little dance to rub it in after every victory, even if it's against the same wimpy tree he could have just walked around. What a jerk.
Envy: :ultkirby: His signature ability is stealing the abilities of others.
Lust: :ultkingdedede:*Insert Lenny face here*
Sloth: :ultkirby: The guy literally slept through an alien takeover. If that's not sloth, I don't know what is.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still dreading the day I wake up and realize that Piranha Plant's been released, only to see a GameExplain video in my recommends showing it uses the generic "Who's THAT character?!" guidances.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
If the idea that lust means you're sexy, Bayonetta.

But if we're going with the original intent, than Bowser. This dork constantly goes after this chick who is clearly not interested, taking her against her will, and then gets pissed when her kinda sorta boyfriend comes to get her. He never learns.

And yet she still invites him to parties, Go-Kart races and sports games! Bless her soul.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Wrath:Mario, he hates his brother and murders goombas
Pride:Mario, he has so many games and has his face on everything
Envy:Mario, he wishes for the attitude of his contemporaries
Greed:Mario, he’s unwilling to share the spotlight
Gluttony:Mario, he constantly indulges on powerups
Sloth:Mario, see the New Super Mario Bros series
Lust:Mario, he constantly lusts after the princess in each game
But that’s just a theory, a SHAME THEORY, THANKS FOR WATCHING
Mario is Mental Part 3?

D

Deleted member

I'm still dreading the day I wake up and realize that Piranha Plant's been released, only to see a GameExplain video in my recommends showing it uses the generic "Who's THAT character?!" guidances.
Sakurai:If you think about it, there isn’t anybody who doesn’t know who Pirahna Plant is.
Pit: Who is THAT!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
with classic mode, i can see them going with unique paths for the dlc characters because it would be very obviously cheap and have an actual impact on potential purchases

generic guidances are 100% going to happen tho

Shroob

Sup?
My only hope is that Piranha Plant was being worked on alongside the base roster and game for that matter, so 'maybe' they recorded lines for it at the same time.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
It's not shocking to preach nonviolence and the dangerous effects of things like child abuse
Speaking of, Smash Ultimate seems to be a really violent game. A baby boomer was watching me whale on about 3-4 children as Link (they were Nesses, for a spirit battle) and said something to the effect that they didn’t like what I was doing there. Is there any way to play smash that doesn’t involve beating people up until they fall off the screen? I couldn’t really think of any off the top of my head.

Anyway, I saw someone asking which Legend type spirit they would make playable if they could. I’m asking the same thing, but for 3, 2, and 1 star spirits, as well. Here are my answers. Please note that I do not have all the spirits, so this is based on what I do have.

4 - Azura
3 - Amazon Pandora
2 - Waluigi (Super Mario Strikers)
1 - Sandbag
Master - Funky Kong

Noipoi

Howdy!
It'd be such a missed opportunity, think of the references!

:ultpit: Lady Palutena, why am I fighting a plant?
:ultpalutena: That's no ordinary plant, Pit. That mean green mother from the Mushroom Kingdom is a Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Imagine if a KI character like Viridi is DLC, and the DLC Palutena Guidances are generic ones, and Pit and Palutena are struggling to remember someone from their own game.

segillav

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly, the placeholder from Smash 4 was found in Ultimate's files so this is probably gonna happen sadly.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Seven deadly sins as smash characters... alright, I’ll play you’re game, you Rogue:

Sloth: (well I have never wanted playable snorlax more in my life...) I guess I’m going with Jigglypuff.

Envy: (Ditto! Man, this is so much easier with Pokémon...) I guess Inklings, as a squidlike species that adopted the culture and customs of an ancient different species as well as their looks and mannerisms.

Greed: Wario. It’s the point of every Wario land game.

Wrath: Donkey Kong. There are numerous games where the plot is “This enraged Donkey Kong.”

Gluttony: Kirby, yes he also fits envy with his copy abilities. And Sloth with the fact he starts every game napping. But Kirby is most controlled by appetite.

Lust: Bayonetta. Yeah I’m not just doing it because she’s a character with sex appeal. Zero suit has sex appeal, Bayonetta constantly calls attention to it herself.

Pride: K Rool. Look at him. He is proud with every moment. He is a king. He risks the ire of Donkey Kong to take freaking bananas. Knowing Donkey Kong will destroy just about every kremling he knows with ease.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
> Earthbound

> Dragon Quest clone

Haven't played DQ myself but the battle system only seems similar to the first Mother, and yet it still has different stuffs going on~

Also, seems like the story would be much different other than the basic "save world from destruction."
Yes, it has the rolling HP mechanic, but other than that the gameplay is virtually identical to Dragon Quest, to the point that MOTHER (as in the Japanese version of EarthBound Beginnings) straight up name-drops it at one point, and MOTHER 3 has an enemy that's a direct reference to the Metal Slime.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Seven deadly sins as smash characters... alright, I’ll play you’re game, you Rogue:

Sloth: (well I have never wanted playable snorlax more in my life...) I guess I’m going with Jigglypuff.

Envy: (Ditto! Man, this is so much easier with Pokémon...) I guess Inklings, as a squidlike species that adopted the culture and customs of an ancient different species as well as their looks and mannerisms.

Wrath: Donkey Kong. There are numerous games where the plot is “This enraged Donkey Kong.”

Gluttony: Kirby, yes he also fits envy with his copy abilities. And Sloth with the fact he starts every game napping. But Kirby is most controlled by appetite.

Lust: Bayonetta. Yeah I’m not just doing it because she’s a character with sex appeal. Zero suit has sex appeal, Bayonetta constantly calls attention to it herself.

Pride: K Rool. Look at him. He is proud with every moment. He is a king. He risks the ire of Donkey Kong to take freaking bananas. Knowing Donkey Kong will destroy just about every kremling he knows with ease.
I'd argue that Lust would be Bowser, but his affections toward Peach seem genuine enough. If anything, it'd be his lust for power over the Mushroom Kingdom throne with Peach by his side.

D

Deleted member

Reading through that guy's DA post and it's suuuuuuuper obvious he isn't serious, lol.

Like, there's no way he isn't a parody account. The information he's sharing is so blatantly wrong that it definitely feels trollish/ironic and trying to get a rise out of people.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God

Change Envy from Inkling to Luigi/Bowser, and Gluttony to Villager and I can get behind this.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes, it has the rolling HP mechanic, but other than that the gameplay is virtually identical to Dragon Quest, to the point that MOTHER (as in the Japanese version of EarthBound Beginnings) straight up name-drops it at one point, and MOTHER 3 has an enemy that's a direct reference to the Metal Slime.
Well, if it takes a bit of inspiration, I don't see a problem; the stories seem like they'd be a lot different.

NineS

Smash Lord
people forget that lust as a sin isn't "generic sexy" and is supposed to be about people lusting over other people/things like a complete creepozoid

lust is the first dungeon in persona 5 how can you not know that's what lust is supposed to be

Lust has a questionable sense of fashion.. I mean.. Come on...

Couldn't he have at least worn something more than his pink underwear and a kingly cape?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Lust has a questionable sense of fashion.. I mean.. Come on...

Couldn't he have at least worn something more than his pink underwear and a kingly cape?
it's his castle he'll wear whatever he wants thank you very much

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Incineroar fans, please don’t hurt me but I honestly forgot about him and being a perfect fit for pride until y’all brought him up. *hides in bunker*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's my question, why the Hell is the Mother series so loved?

I've played over half of Earthbound, and it's fun don't get me wrong. I like this goofy world, and the interesting stuff is enough to get me to power through the more annoying gameplay elements (screw the inventory), but why is this series so many peoples favorite? Why is Earthbound one of the cult classics?

I don't say this out of annoyance or malice, I genuinely want to know what draws people to these games.
It's a lot like Undertale (Mother fans, please don't hurt me for making the comparison) in the sense that it either clicks with you or it doesn't.

For me, there's just something special about it. The gameplay itself is nothing amazing, sure, but the characters, the story, and the overall charm and fun vibe the game gives really resonates with me. Not to mention the story's surprisingly deeper (and darker) moments.

I'm probably doing a horrible job of explaining why people love it, but that's how it is for me. It's a series that I feel really attached to thanks to its simplicity and charm that just...makes me love it. I don't really know why it works, it just does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom