• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yuri Lowell is the most popular Tales character, to the point that he isn't put on popularity polls because he regularly won them.
If he'd end up being our Tales of character then I'm 100% in on that train.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I finally beat World of Light. I'll admit it was a bit tedious at times which is why I really took my sweet time with it, but overall I did enjoy it as something to do to the side. Some battles really were BS (Pauline and Giga Mac were my least favorites), but normally you could skip around those so it wasn't all bad. I really enjoyed the adventure map as a whole though. Obstacles that required certain spirits were sometimes slightly annoying when I had no idea what spirits would help (how was I supposed to know which of several F-Zero characters piloted the Wild Goose?), but the visuals, music and openness of it made it fun to explore.

I won't lie, after Master Fortress I kind of expected there to be a side scrolling (up scrolling?) segment. What I didn't expect, however, was for them to have a battle where you control flipping Master Hand. I guess everyone really is here, even that old Melee glitch. I was actually really confused trying to find were my character was when the match started because my brain just wasn't processing that my character was the giant floating hand. Master Hand's Down B is broken btw, pls nerf Sakurai.

The final battle itself was pretty fun, but late into the final phase it was hard to tell what was going on at times with all the crazy visuals. My TV's saturation is slightly off though, which might have something to do with it. The team I ended up using was Mewtwo, Wolf (his ability to hold his reflector indefinitely came in handy), and Charizard.

The battle was ended with a Flare Blitz against a stunned Galleem, as all hype Charizard matches should.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know, after looking at parrying, I want to see an Incineroar player perfect this. Imagine how ****ing terrifying a grappler is who can consistently parry **** would be. Especially when said grappler has the strongest back throw and scenarios where they get a Revenge boost

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
D

Deleted member

so is anyone going to legit and respectfully answer my question?
It’s like arguing that the Puyo Puyo puzzle games are the same series as the original Sorcery Saga RPGs. They’ve grown far apart enough, are different gameplay wise and one series has eclipsed the other in terms of popularity that one can reasonably call them different series.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

well ****, Looks like I gotta get ToV on switch now to see why Yuri is popular and why a streamer Im watching loves the game so much
I'd be getting it on launch if it weren't for KH3.

However, I only have so much money and time, lol. Vesperia will have to wait a little bit.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm confused to how you even know of this track...

It's from a freaking Xena Warrior Princess game on the N64, for goodness sake! :p
I mean I watched a bit of the show growing up, but aside from that, blame this guy:

I’m a little surprised you know about this considering you’re much younger than me.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It’s like arguing that the Puyo Puyo puzzle games are the same series as the original Puyo Puyo RPGs. They’ve grown far apart enough, are different gameplay wise and one series has eclipsed the other in terms of popularity that one can reasonably call them different series.
ahh, ok, Thank you

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
so is anyone going to leget and respectfully answer my question?
The reason so much **** is called SMT until P4A when it aint in the style of SMT is because it was a marketing ploy by ATLUS USA to get consumers to associate the games together.

It's why we have stupid names like:
SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI:
DEVIL SUMMONER:
RAIDOU KUZUNOHA VS.
THE SOULESS ARMY.

They've stopped now because otherwise we'd have Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight. And I don't wanna live on that world.

Basically,
Do you consider Nier a spinoff of the Drakengard series ? If yes, then Persona is an SMT spinoff. If you think it's its own series that has story ties with its expanded universe, then no it's another sub series.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
75mm sucks . It’s my least favourite stage.

...it’s even worse when you stage morph into it. One time the transition into it ko’ed all 8 characters.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I have a question!

Can Joker stop time?

Can he heal people?

Can he turn objects into living things?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And they're both ads. Pure n simple.

Ok fine. That (his) comment started at nothing, ended at nothing and added nothing.
Different, might, Ad... what was that!?.. sigh
osby osby I apologize for what I said.
Sorry I have no clue about what this argument is but am I seeing you claiming Bayonetta and Steve only have value in Smash as advertisements? Cause you DO realize Smash is literally one giant advertisement right?

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean
Wasn't it confirmed that Nier and Drakengard are in the same timeline?

I always considered Persona SMT games because of the cameos made and the themes of the games seem to be similar. There are actual SMT games but Im ok with the idea. I didn't really think of it as a marketing ploy. I remember the first ever atlus game I got was Persona 3 and from there I got addicted to Devil Summoner. Such good games with darker story plot.

Loved Nocturne as well.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
It’s like arguing that the Puyo Puyo puzzle games are the same series as the original Puyo Puyo RPGs. They’ve grown far apart enough, are different gameplay wise and one series has eclipsed the other in terms of popularity that one can reasonably call them different series.
But these aren't an RPG being compared to a puzzle game here, it's an RPG being compared to another RPG that outright shares a lot of the same mechanics and monsters.
Aside from that the series has platformers, action games, TBS games, dungeon crawlers in both 3rd and 1st person, etc that all still are part of the SMT branding. Persona is the only sub series that I see people get actively fight to say it's not SMT.
It feels a lot like how people in the Souls fandom refused to treat Bloodborne as a Souls game, like it's trying to win a semantics argument that no one who would use that branding label for the games would actually give a rat's *** about.

Everyone in Smash is an ad...
Pretty much. Pretty much everything in a crossover is an advertisement for what series they come from. Arguing that it's an ad doesn't really mean much as any character is going to be advertising it's home series/game/etc.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I classify a "safe pick" as a character who
A. I don't Nobody wants
B. Has a fairly high chance of getting in
C. Is a common prediction
I disagree with the notion of a "safe pick." You can like a character who happens to be a "safe pick." Some aren't viewed that way because Sakurai and Nintendo themselves allegedly lean toward legacy choices and whatever makes the most money. As a result, "safe picks" are incorrectly associated with "boring, predictable" picks. It just depends on the character.

D

Deleted member

But these aren't an RPG being compared to a puzzle game here, it's an RPG being compared to another RPG that outright shares a lot of the same mechanics and monsters.
Aside from that the series has platformers, action games, TBS games, dungeon crawlers in both 3rd and 1st person, etc that all still are part of the SMT branding. Persona is the only sub series that I see people get actively fight to say it's not SMT.
It feels a lot like how people in the Souls fandom refused to treat Bloodborne as a Souls game, like it's trying to win a semantics argument that no one who would use that branding label for the games would actually give a rat's *** about.
Persona games are rpgs, but at they’re core these days they play pretty differently from SMT. They’re more focused on social aspects obviously and aren’t as ‘rpg-y’ as smt for lack of a better term.
And if no one gives a rat’s ass, then why did you care enough to respond hardy har har yes that is the best I could come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom