• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone !
I haven't been around for almost a month, since the game was datamined I wanted to avoid spoiler
I just beat WoL yesterday and I'm so glad I didn't get spoiled, it was beautiful

So what happened here since the game came out ? are there any rumored or leaked characters or mode for DLC ?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
“BOTW Zelda is more into research then fighting”
*adds a secretary as a fighter*

Like, I don’t care about Isabelle but that really made no sense.
Isabelle has gone on to be the mascot of the Animal Crossing series.
Her inclusion makes so much sense imo.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
“BOTW Zelda is more into research then fighting”
*adds a secretary as a fighter*

Like, I don’t care about Isabelle but that really made no sense.
Zelda already has a playstyle. BOTW Zelda clashes with that design. ALTTP/ALBW Zelda works better with it.

It's not so much the researcher part as it does not mesh well with the playstyle of the character as is. Despite Link losing his Hookshot(well, Clawshot, but same difference) and Gale Boomerang, he keeps the general playstyle as is. He didn't even have the Gale Boomerang till Brawl, which was a bit of a change-up in strategy. It's just character design evolution. Without a severe change.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If this was the 2000s, he would’ve added Tom Nook instead. ;_;

I mean come on, no racooons in Smash? We already have 4 canines.
Even if Tom Nook did get in, there'd technically still be no raccoon characters in Smash, as Tom Nook is actually a tanuki.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Can anybody please explain how Mario is able to hit harder as an doctor rather than his normal self. You know, who have to fight Bowser pretty much everyday?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Zelda already has a playstyle. BOTW Zelda clashes with that design. ALTTP/ALBW Zelda works better with it.

It's not so much the researcher part as it does not mesh well with the playstyle of the character as is. Despite Link losing his Hookshot(well, Clawshot, but same difference) and Gale Boomerang, he keeps the general playstyle as is. He didn't even have the Gale Boomerang till Brawl, which was a bit of a change-up in strategy. It's just character design evolution. Without a severe change.
I fail to see how BOTW Zelda couldn't keep the same general playstyle. She's still very much capable of magic. Really, the only thing that would need changing would be her down smash, since that's the only move of hers that kind of requires being in a dress to work. And single move changes happen all the time.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just encountered Leaf/Leif in the World of Light. He is one of my favorite FE characters (Thracia 776 may very well be my favorite game in the series, and my avatar is actually from a piece of artwork form that game). I really liked his match. From Roy being the puppet fighter he was possessing (Roy in general is a similar lord to Leif, especially considering his Sword of Seals/Binding Blade has similar properties to Leif's Sword of Light such as being able to attack from afar and heal its user). The Leif battle had Roy being able to perform random criticals (a reference to how certain skills in FE4/FE5 are able to do just that) as well as him sporadically healing over the course of the match (a reference to the Sword of Light's abilities). It is yet another example of Ultimate making me smile.

I know for some people they are upset over spirits, but seeing Pico and Leaf/Leif get an event match featured about them in a way personally referencing their source material, is something that made me very happy to see. A lot of the spirit battles are pretty clever in how they reference the fighters. Heck, for Pico's battle I particularly loved how it was Bowser with a Ray Gun (since Pico is a turtle-like alien who operates as an assassin) and the fact that Death Wind was the music playing in the background (Death Wind was said to be Pico's home planet). They obviously did their homework for quite a few of these spirit battles.

I think a lot of people are not giving spirits the due it deserves.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can anybody please explain how Mario is able to hit harder as an doctor rather than his normal self. You know, who have to fight Bowser pretty much everyday?
His M.D. gives him supreme knowledge of the opponent's anatomy, allowing him to know where to strike to do the most damage. On the flip side, he's slowed down by the crushing weight of the lives he couldn't save.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Lloyd is a sword user, the same as Marth.
If you played his game you know it very well.

Even Heihachi is more unique than Lloyd.

And no , Agumon is not a "ugly chili Charizard", he is cute and awesome.
And WarGreymon is 1000 times cooler than any "Dragon Pokémon" you can think of.
I have played the games, thank you very much. I’ve akso played digimon on the ps1 as well. He’s much more than Marth...you’d know this if you played the games. That’s cool about WarGreymon...but it won’t get in. Agumon...perhaps but in my opinion unlikely. And if he does, that’s cool! Probably won’t buy it. But Augumon is just another Dino who breaths fire to me, just like Lloyd is a “Marth”

Double K

Smash Lord
So I previously was fine about the possibility of Sora joining Smash. Then I remembered that Kingdom Hearts is cursed and Ultimate would be the final Smash game, so probably not.

even joking about the recent news still stings aaah
The worst part was Woolie saying that Pat and Matt aren't friends sanymore

D

Deleted member

Isabelle has gone on to be the mascot of the Animal Crossing series.
Her inclusion makes so much sense imo.
This is why I hate Isabelle. She just shows up in one game, and then suddenly becomes the most important character in the series.

I also hate Rosalina for the exact same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I fail to see how BOTW Zelda couldn't keep the same general playstyle. She's still very much capable of magic. Really, the only thing that would need changing would be her down smash, since that's the only move of hers that kind of requires being in a dress to work. And single move changes happen all the time.
If you’ve seen Female Wireframe’s or Blue Alloy’s down smash, the animation looks fine without a dress IMO.

That said, she looks like she’d be a bit less athletic, so she might not have fit the overall speed increase of Ultimate as well.
Sakurai may have also just wanted to represent a more diverse selection of Zelda games with the roster.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This is why I hate Isabelle. She just shows up in one game, and then suddenly becomes the most important character in the series.

I also hate Rosalina for almost the exactly same reason.
It's not uncommon for characters to become big after being in just one game.
In fact, it has to happen with almost every major character.
How else would have characters Mario and Donkey Kong gotten so big?

I'd argue that Isabelle and Rosalina became breakout characters just because of how much of a personality they had. It'd be such a waste for such unique characters to only be used in one game.
Also, I don't appreciate you hating on my space waifu like that. She already gets enough hate as is.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

I also hate Rosalina for the exact same reason.
Yeah, in a way they’re both ensemble darkhorses for fans and Nintendo themselves so they take their popularity’s advantage and pretty much go out of their way to push them as main characters and put them in almost every spin-off game....including Smash.

:ultisabelle:&:ultrosalina: actually have a lot in common then we realize since they both appeal to causal fans.

Not that I hate either of them, I personally don’t care about either of them and would wish the same treatment for several other characters.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Heres the point in my favor.

Lloyd is a Sword user, and he uses tons of Sword skills in his game.
We have alot of Sword users in Smash now.

Agumon would be a more unique character.
>Argument against Swordfighters
>Lloyd uses two swords and brings a dual wielding moveset previous unrepresented in the series
w2woj.jpg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And her forward, down, and back aerials all use her dress animations too. She's not similar at all to her previous Princess-style self during BOTW. That's a completely different style of character. She's meant to be a far more adventurous version. Same issue with trying to use SS Zelda. She's not a Princess, which is important to the design since Melee.

They chose a game where she's actually presented as a princess to keep her magical princess moveset. It's not even just "capable of magic", it's her entire design, which focuses more on "magical princess", not simply having magic. Her adventurer playstyle is Sheik, who represents BOTW via the costume, but also still focuses on the OOT moveset to some degree. She's also closer to her toon-like self, making her keeping the Phantom attack far more fitting. Who is only used by the Princess form. It'd look extremely awkward on BOTW Zelda as is. It looks pretty good on a somewhat more cartoony Zelda, far better than TP Zelda.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Saying a sword user shouldn’t get in because “sword” is already bad enough considering most of the users play differently.

Nobody has a dual wielding set of swords, so to say that Lloyd of all characters would be too much like Marth is like me saying Agumon would play too much like another reptile.

It’s bad reasoning and only used because “I don’t want that character over the one I really want”.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Sakurai may have also just wanted to represent a more diverse selection of Zelda games with the roster.
This strikes me as more believable but then why not come out and actually say that he wanted to diversify the games represented by Zelda's playable cast instead of the dumb thing he actually said?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How is he going to hold items? :upsidedown:
Isn't there a Mii costume of Lloyd which also has 2 swords albeit one is purely as a model? Either way they can bull**** an excuse like idk, he puts it on his belt?v
>Argument against Swordfighters
>Lloyd uses two swords and brings a dual wielding moveset previous unrepresented in the series
View attachment 183197
Aw man you could have gone "Agumon sucks too many claw users and fire users" as a good comeback but you posted this incredibly uncomfortable looking pic

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom