• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
public arenas are kinda trash tho imo considering you have to wait in a line in a goddamn online game and taunting isn't worth waiting 3 min for a match when i could just hop on the (now fixed) quickplay to get a match or two in

I mean the max player count 2 arenas are fun but idk how to specifically search for them or if it's even possible to search for them
I think its just my personal feeling but I like arenas more then getting thrown into a battle

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
The base roster hit a ton of bases, K.Rool and Ridley were the last standing barriers.

Now, the door is open for shenanigans, Scorpion,Sora, Mai, whatever, if there is another Sonic Rep I almost want to say Eggman over Tails.

D

Deleted member

I think ita just my.personal feeling but I like arenas more then getting thrown into a battle
arenas do feel a lot more personal, and people in them are usually a lot more chilled out then the "will 3 stock you and teabag after" pros and the "will SD after you spike them once" crowd

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't mind Joker but I can understand why some people have a problem with him just like some did with Cloud. It's just odd when a 3rd party that is mostly associated with another 1st party company get to be in Smash rather than ones that have close ties with Nintendo. Remember how littereally no one complained when Mega Man or Sonic or Pac-Man got in Smash? I think that's largely because those 3rd parties star in a lot of games on a Nintendo console.

Bow none of this bothers me that much but ai can see it and understand it. Especially growing up with the series as "Nintendo All-Stars" the game. And 3rd party guests are welcome, but it's just seems odd to invite ones that have little to do with Nintendo.

It's like inviting some guy you had a chat at the air port with to your Christmas party rather than an old friend. I mean that's fine. But it's a little awkward.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I don't mind Joker but I can understand why some people have a problem with him just like some did with Cloud. It's just odd when a 3rd party that is mostly associated with another 1st party company get to be in Smash rather than ones that have close ties with Nintendo. Remember how littereally no one complained when Mega Man or Sonic or Pac-Man got in Smash? I think that's largely because those 3rd parties star in a lot of games on a Nintendo console.

Bow none of this bothers me that much but ai can see it and understand it. Especially growing up with the series as "Nintendo All-Stars" the game. And 3rd party guests are welcome, but it's just seems odd to invite ones that have little to do with Nintendo.

It's like inviting some guy you had a chat at the air port with to your Christmas party rather than an old friend. I mean that's fine. But it's a little awkward.
But what if that guy at the air port was cyborg Abraham Lincoln, how hype would that be?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I mean that same airport friend has a game on 3DS now

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Here's a weird question for you guys, what video game characters would you like to see in smash that no one remembers.

For me, it's Slap from the sega cd game Panic!

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace

Sakurai already said that Smash Bros is no longer about Nintendo ALL-Stars anymore.

People need to understand that and get over it or stop playing the game. These complaints will go nowhere.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Let’s just hope they didn’t set future expectations too high. I already saw tons of people claiming their character would get in because of this single out-of-left-field pick.
Agreed. Though Nintendo often know what they're doing. And to have Reggie say what he said with such confidence......well while obviously not everyone will agree, they'd have to nosedive pretty hard. Like actually getting the corporate kind of picks that we feared, to negate what Reggie claims.

And given just how amazing Smash Ultimate is in its feats, I'm inclined to believe they can do it. And as far as setting expectations, at least they didn't set them too high by going above and beyond with those statements.

D

Deleted member

wait did you get unbanned?
Are you ****ing serious? :glare: OF COURSE I DID
Like, aside from your typical "he doesn't deserve to be in a Nintendo All-Stars game", there was plenty of "why Nintendo does free promotion for Square-Enix?"
Because Square Enix is one of the most influential game companies of all time? And because they have a history with Nintendo?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Like, aside from your typical "he doesn't deserve to be in a Nintendo All-Stars game", there was plenty of "why Nintendo does free promotion for Square-Enix?"
Videogame hall-of fame be damned "Not a Nintendo I don't like him!"

Ya'know its gets pretty bad when gets like this.

There are so many dumb fan rules.

-Can't be too sexy:ultbayonetta::ultsnake:

- Can't be Mature :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultbayonetta: (That's a lot now woah!)

- Has to be relevant:ultpit::ultkrool:

-Can't be anime styled:ultshulk:

- Has to be not 'BIG':ultridley::ultkrool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So now that we got the new matchmaking patch, has anyone had any trouble with it yet?
I'm asking because I've been doing okay on the online front, though I also prefer not using preferred rules, and my region might also make a difference on the results.

Tbh my main need right now is a 2nd local player in Arena lobbies, and we'll be good. Lag aside.

D

Deleted member

Videogame hall-of fame be damned "Not a Nintendo I don't like him!"

Ya'know its gets pretty bad when gets like this.

There are so many dumb fan rules.

-Can't be too sexy:ultbayonetta::ultsnake:

- Can't be Mature :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultbayonetta: (That's a lot now woah!)

- Has to be relevant:ultpit::ultkrool:

-Can't be anime styled:ultshulk:

- Has to be not 'BIG':ultridley::ultkrool:
Who cares about any of that crap? Smash has proven time and time again that fan rules mean absolutely nothing. Let them rot in their ignorance.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Look, I hate the idea of 3rd parties over loading smash bros. But I will say they are JUST as important as the rest of the cast. Hypitheically, if the cast wasn’t a majority of Nintendo characters I wouldn’t buy it. But where it’s at right now I’m fine, I’ve actually changed my stance on it. I wouldn’t mind if all the DLC is third parties...as long as it has something to do with the history. For example, Banjo being a product of the N64 era.

(I won’t mention Geno since a lot of you guys like to **** on what people want) what?

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Here's a weird question for you guys, what video game characters would you like to see in smash that no one remembers.

For me, it's Slap from the sega cd game Panic!

Not gonna lie, the shadow on the Dracula's Castle stage kinda makes me want Kid Dracula as a third Castlevania rep.

osby

Smash Obsessed
True.

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!
I don't even like Mortal Combat and I think it wouldn't suit to Smash... but I want to see a character from it because I wonder how Sakurai will prove me wrong.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
I really don't mind third-party picks, but I hope all the DLC isn't all just third party characters. Still hoping we get a few new Nintendo characters in the fighter pass too.

D

Deleted member

You know what? I'd be totally fine with Smash going the route of being a massive crossover involving characters from Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Konami, Bethesda, and other companies.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I think the scare comes that Smash will lose it’s “Nintendo feel” if the game has an emphasis on third parties.

The fact of the matter is while the game isn’t about “Nintendo all-stars” anymore, it’s still a Nintendo game and Nintendo will still dominate the scene in that regard.

In my opinion, if we added in a ton of third party characters from main series, like adding in several sonic characters for example, the game would lose it’s star power. Would people like it? Probably. But it will still lose that star power. Third parties are meant to be exciting and to ignite memories.

I think many of us remember Snake’s reveal in brawl. Sonic’s reveal was also amazing in other ways. But a lot of us remember that feeling. And seeing them in always felt magical. It still does. All the third parties do. It’s about a balance though that will strike a chord in the hearts of the players of their memories.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I don't even like Mortal Combat and I think it wouldn't suit to Smash... but I want to see a character from it because I wonder how Sakurai will prove me wrong.
Sakurai definitely is a man who can work magic but keep in mind that he tends to stay true to the source material when he puts characters in. That’s why I too have my doubts on MK characters being in Smash because MK is a brutal game and always has been and it would be weird to put in Scorpion/Sub-Zero without the blood and gore.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
And that's the power of the3rd party.
Sakurai definitely is a man who can work magic but keep in mind that he tends to stay true to the source material when he puts characters in. That’s why I have my doubts on MK characters being in Smash because MK is a brutal game and always has been and it would be weird to put in Scorpion/Sub-Zero without the blood and gore.
Nah Mortal Kombat Vs DC exists and Scorpion can't murder people in Injustice so its fine.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
On a serious talk, what 3rd Party DLC characters would you rank on a Joker-tier level in terms of pipe dream/shock/impossible value?
Hmmm. Phoenix Wright certainly comes to mind. He's got a fanbase, but a lot of people previously didn't believe he'd make it into a fighting game. Heck, even after UMVC3 and PxZ2, people have still doubted him, since he's kind of a Capcom underdog, despite having been one of the lucky ones who hasn't suffered Capcom's worst.......well not entirely, but I digress. The point is that, like Joker, Phoenix has a fanbase, moveset potential, Sakurai has spoken positively of Ace Attorney, and the lawyer does provide a unique gameplay that Sakurai would be attracted to.

Really hoping that meeting that Takumi and Sakurai had in 2016 is hinting at what it seems to be.

Anyway, aside from Phoenix Wright, we have Master Chief. Seems a bit of pipe dream, but he has some Nintendo certification via Minecraft. Out of the main 3 (Steve, MC and Banjo) he's the least expected, but that doesn't mean he has a small fanbase. Microsoft haven't really been selling people keenly on the idea of Xbox One since well, it's lacking in exclusives (you can play just about all their games on PC if you wish), so it's not outside of reason to suggest that plenty of Halo fans are multiplatform owners. And let me tell you, Halo fans are HUNGRY for something good featuring Master Chief after the likes of Halo 5.

NiGHTS would absolutely shatter expectations.

Twintelle has the whole spirits thing and the idea that we're not getting an ARMS rep, or another 1st party rep at that, going against her. So she'd be a delightful shock that no one really sees coming. She's got the popularity to back the surprise factor too.

An Undertale rep that isn't Sans. Look, don't get me wrong, Sans is neat, but as a fighter...eh, character wise it wouldn't really fit. And since he's the one people are expecting in droves. Yeah, Undyne, Frisk, or heck, even Papyrus would fit the bill for that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For those interested in who the strongest Smasher really is...:

WHY IS THIS SO CUTE OH GOSH INKLING WITH HER LITTLE DRAWING AND HER TRYING TO SAY "KIRBY" AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Samus's panel is the very definition of wholesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Day 8
Im still excited about Joker being in smash
Waiting for him is tourtue
send help
Sorry, I'm in the same situation as well.

Sakurai definitely is a man who can work magic but keep in mind that he tends to stay true to the source material when he puts characters in. That’s why I too have my doubts on MK characters being in Smash because MK is a brutal game and always has been and it would be weird to put in Scorpion/Sub-Zero without the blood and gore.
It worked for Bayo but she has pretty prevalent, campy side of her. Does MK characters have anything like that?

Pakky

Smash Hero

It worked for Bayo but she has pretty prevalent, campy side of her. Does MK characters have anything like that?
Hohoho!

Mortal Kombat is like 20% Camp.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I mean. Not really. At least in terms of their movesets. But the thing is, for a lot of MK characters if you take away the blood effect their fine. The only time the game gets really Gorey is in the Fatalities and X-Ray moves. Like, Scorpio. For instance. He uses swords, fireballs, teleporting, and the famous spear. Aside from the spear there is nothing there that can’t work in Smash. Double so for Sub-Zero who doesn’t even have that. He makes weapons out of ice (hammers, swords), freezes people, makes ice clones, and has a counter move. Very easy to implement without breaking the rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom