• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Anybody find themselves enjoying a character that they didn't think they'd play?

I've been enjoying the crap out of King K. Rool since I wanted him badly, but the other day when my brother wanted to play some, I decided to mess around with other characters. I never liked Samus before, but I tried out Dark Samus and really liked her a lot. I don't know the exact differences between the two, but whatever they are, it's just subtle enough for me to enjoy playing with Dark Samus over the original.

After the match, my brother even asked "Wow, you've been playing Dark Samus a lot, huh?" I laughed and responded back with "Actually, that was my first time playing her". He was pretty surprised and I think I found a new character to play around with and add to my arsenal.
My big surprises so far have been Inkling and Ryu. They just feel so game-accurate and smooth and all the little Splatoon sound effects in Inkling's moves make me smile. Incineroar and the Belmonts I figured I'd play often but I think they're going to overtake even ROB eventually - ROB is still my combo king but I'm getting there with the others.

Of course when Joker drops it's allllll over. Insta-main.

D

Deleted member

If there's one thing I'm disappointed with in this game, it's that only Mario got the actual 'alternate costume' approach to his different looks. I was really hoping that Bowser would be in his wedding suit as well, but only Mario has the privilege of getting the Wedding Suit and the Mario Maker alt. I mean, i get it, Mario is the Nintendo Flagship character, so I'm not that salty about it, I just kinda wished at least Bowser, the character who's been there from the beginning (not counting Luigi since he was just a Green Mario in the beginning) didn't get the same love.

My big surprises so far have been Inkling and Ryu. They just feel so game-accurate and smooth and all the little Splatoon sound effects in Inkling's moves make me smile. Incineroar and the Belmonts I figured I'd play often but I think they're going to overtake even ROB eventually - ROB is still my combo king but I'm getting there with the others.

Of course when Joker drops it's allllll over. Insta-main.
I was looking forward to Incineroar when he was announced, but you know, I'm just not feeling him. Part of it is his laughable recovery (especially when the game decides I wasn't facing the direction of the map and shoots me off in the other direction), but the other part is just...I dont know...I do decently with him, but I feel like he's a better character to let people come to you, which doesn't work too well in 1v1.

Last edited by a moderator:

banana29

Smash Cadet
If there's one thing I'm disappointed with in this game, it's that only Mario got the actual 'alternate costume' approach to his different looks. I was really hoping that Bowser would be in his wedding suit as well, but only Mario has the privilege of getting the Wedding Suit and the Mario Maker alt. I mean, i get it, Mario is the Nintendo Flagship character, so I'm not that salty about it, I just kinda wished at least Bowser, the character who's been there from the beginning (not counting Luigi since he was just a Green Mario in the beginning) didn't get the same love.
I don’t like that he doesn’t have fire mario anymore

A Shadow mario alt would be sick asf too

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm inclined to agree.
I was and still am on the "pls more aesthetics" train

I am very happy to piss people here off by saying I would pay for cosmetic dlc for this game.

D

Deleted member

I'm inclined to agree.

I am very happy to piss people here off by saying I would pay for cosmetic dlc for this game.
I wasn't gonna say it, and I hate to admit it, but I would too lol.

EDIT: Offer me a DLC 'Costume Pack' that's Wedding Bowser, 'Cyborg' Mewtwo (or whatever that Movie version of his is called), and 'Squirtle Squad' Squirtle (which is essentially just adding Sunglasses lol) and I'd instantly buy it. Well....instantly so long as the price was reasonable lol.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
people boutta punk on you for saying that Brawl was better then Sm4sh but Brawl deadass had the best single-player content in Smash. If I didn't care about multiplayer as much as I do, then Brawl would be my favorite too
I would vouch for Brawl being the best besides Ultimate simply because of it’s single player and the memories I have with it.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So like....
Feb: PP release, Joker showcase, #2 trailer
E3: #2 release, #3 trailer
August: #3 release, #4 trailer
November: #4 release, #5 trailer
Feb 2020: #5 release

...what do y'all think?
Hmm. How interesting would it be if say for a round trip, one of them gets announced at the Game Awards 2019 as a reflection of Joker's announcement?

Also, if we do get a second wave of DLC, I wonder when it would get announced.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I'm inclined to agree.

I'd rather character costume DLC than Mii DLC, tbh. Though the 8-costume thing they're going for this game seems to hurt the chances of anything else.

D

Deleted member

Is it just me or are Marth and Lucina just so ****ing slick in this game, did they get buffed?

I've been playing a hell of a lot of Lucina she's fun as hell

D

Deleted member

Hmm. How interesting would it be if say for a round trip, one of them gets announced at the Game Awards 2019 as a reflection of Joker's announcement?

Also, if we do get a second wave of DLC, I wonder when it would get announced.
I feel like by Summer time; around E3; if the game is still doing well enough, they'll have decided on whether they'd commit to a 'Round 2' or not. And if they have, we'd probably hear its announcement by the time they release the final character of Wave 1 to keep hype alive.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Is it just me or are Marth and Lucina just so ****ing slick in this game

I've been playing a hell of a lot of Lucina and she's fun as hell
You could tell me any character feels so much better this time around and I'd believe you tbh

I'd rather character costume DLC than Mii DLC, tbh. Though the 8-costume thing they're going for this game seems to hurt the chances of anything else.
Unfortunately.
I do have a pipe dream of having seasonal costume packs. Doesn't have to be absolutely everyone per pack.

Like, lots of people already have things they could use for a Halloween alt, and they could even be OC alternate costumes (Like Santa Olimar being followed by little pikmin elves...)

D

Deleted member

I feel like by Summer time; around E3; if the game is still doing well enough, they'll have decided on whether they'd commit to a 'Round 2' or not. And if they have, we'd probably hear its announcement by the time they release the final character of Wave 1 to keep hype alive.
If there was a hypothetical "wave 2" I feel like it would be characters who missed their chances to get into Ultimate

Rex, Springman, Isaac and other AT's would be likely imo

D

Deleted member

I'm inclined to agree.

I would pay large sums of money to get Octolings in over Inklings similar to Olimar and Alph.

I would also pay whatever Nintendo wanted for dapper Bowser.

DoEHZYGXoAM_hkX.jpg

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If there was a hypothetical "wave 2" I feel like it would be characters who missed their chances to get into Ultimate

Rex, Springman, Isaac and other AT's would be likely imo
Hmmm. That might depend on who's in charge of the DLC. Let's not forget, what Sakurai likes to do, might differ from that.

D

Deleted member

Hmmm. That might depend on who's in charge of the DLC. Let's not forget, what Sakurai likes to do, might differ from that.
True, it might just all be promo picks if the big N decides

I do feel like a new Pokemon from the new game is likely even in the first wave imo, if it's not in the first wave and there's a second I'd consider it a lock
If Sakurai is choosing them, I'd say Rex wpuld also be hella likely

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would pay large sums of money to get Octolings in over Inklings similar to Olimar and Alph.

Peach and Bowser need their wedding outfits, for sure.

Hell, Peach could probably have her very own costume back just giving (most of) her outfits from Odyssey. With a bit of creativity to make up for the lost dress on some of them.

D

Deleted member

:ultmario: Give me wedding dress Mario
:ulttoonlink: And the Zelda dress
:ultcloud: And Miss Cloud
I'm willing to pay as much as I would for a character. I know you're reading this, Reggie, please make this a reality.

D

Deleted member

Peach and Bowser need their wedding outfits, for sure.

Hell, Peach could probably have her very own costume back just giving (most of) her outfits from Odyssey. With a bit of creativity to make up for the lost dress on some of them.
Odyssey and BotW had some of the best costumes in gaming. i would pay 15 bucks to get some of them into the game over Mario and Link

14 bucks of those 15 just for Gerudo Link or Snowquill Link tbh

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Didn't Sakurai say no future DLC characters will be Echo Fighters in the November Direct?
He did. There won't be Echo fighters in the 4 remaining DLC characters, but who's to say there won't be anything extra? I mean, we got a lot of Mii Costumes and the Mario Maker stage for Smash 4 as well and that wasn't announced beforehand either. It just came out of nowhere, and I kinda hope that happens with more Echo Fighters.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
:ultmario: Give me wedding dress Mario
:ulttoonlink: And the Zelda dress
:ultcloud: And Miss Cloud
I'm willing to pay as much as I would for a character. I know you're reading this, Reggie, please make this a reality.
I would love all of those.

Give everyone in the game a wedding dress as far as I care.
ROB would be quite beautiful in a veil.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
True, it might just all be promo picks if the big N decides
Well going by what we've seen so far, not necessarily. One thing to consider is whether or not anyone's interested in upgrading the ATs, as opposed to getting NEW newcomers.

Nintendo might want to spread their influence to more franchises. As for Sakurai himself, let's not forget, he picked the 5 DLC characters out of the list Nintendo gave him. The man likes to work with variety, trying to cover fighting styles he never has before, hence how we got Incineroar.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I would love all of those.

Give everyone in the game a wedding dress as far as I care.
ROB would be quite beautiful in a veil.
Mario and Lucina already have wedding dresses in canon. Start with those two and then give them to everyone.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

What about Hipster Bowser?

---
I don't like the Dr. Wily Spirit Mission much.

Probably because I'm under-equipped for it (I don't have a Master Level Shield Spirit with three slots).

It's incredibly frustrating to get harassed by two Metal Megamen just shooting pellets at you forever.

D

Deleted member

****. I ALMOST ****ED SNAKE WITH RICHTER AND THIS SON OF A-

ahem, I mean, I almost killed Snake with Richter and Snake pulled out his BS
Fighting good Snakes is so hard, sometimes it feels like you can't do anything because they're always throwing bombs and sticking the frikin C4's everywhere and the disjoint on his F-Smash hurts me, and he's not frikin helpless after his up-b GODDAMMIT IF PEACH IS HELPLESS WHY NOT SNAKE ****

...I have no idea how to fight good Snakes besides just switching to Richter and zoning, I can't take them down otherwise with any of my mains/secondaries. Shulk, Cloud, and Lucina just feel like they're hopeless in disadvantage against him (unless I can get a cheesy counter with Shulk/Lucina and then follow up to turn my disadvantage state into an advantage, and Snake is bad in disadvantage)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If there were gonna be Echo DLC fighters, they either will be in a different pack or be totally free.
But if we say that spirits deconfirm characters, what echoes could be added that are not already spirits?
Not too many. Impa in any of her forms outside of Ocarina of Time would work, which was her least popular workable appearance anyway out of the 3 possible ones. Porky is yet another I know of, and outside of that? I don't really know. Dixie isn't a possibility anymore, neither is Isaac, so honestly Impa is all I care for at the moment.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Oh boy

The theory is that...

There's 3 missing slots in the music menu.

What this may be potentially implying, is that there will be 3 new franchises added to the game.
Not third parties necessarily-went and edited that.

I'd bin this, except...Nintendo and Sakurai is totally fine with hiding this stuff right in plain sight. Remember the box theory?

So...give it some thought.
Given how the stage selection screen turned out, I don't think they're really that concerned with complete rows. :U

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
What about Hipster Bowser?

Give everyone their Kyary Pamyu Pamyu outfits, PLEASE

Important note: The only one in this picture not playable in Smash is "Toon" Zelda

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom