• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
At least King Dedede can still taunt online (his crouch).

Dedede, that's the name you should know.

Dedede, he's the king of the show!

You'll hollar and hoot, he'll give Kirbeh the boot!

Dedede is tha one!

About the Rare data found in the game files, someone on Resetera posted about it earlier, and someone else came up with another theory:

“To add some more info from what people were saying in the datamine thread - the franchises appear in the code but there's no actual content attached to them. What likely happened is the devs in Japan added Spirits from the games because there's some weird scenario where Nintendo owns some rights to the franchises in Japan, but everywhere else they're owned by Microsoft. When they realised Nintendo didn't actually own the franchises, the spirits got scrapped.”

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sm...in-the-code-for-the-game.83155/#post-15362708
Eh, you'd think they would have removed the code at least.

Isn't simply keeping the code in the game, referencing Rare titles, breaking some bounds? Upon selecting the strings, the Western name for the games were shown.

Plus, do they actually even own any rights to the franchises in Japan anymore? Maybe at one time, when they still owned Rare...

Idk, I just know someone on Twitter mentioned the code stuff, someone said Nintendo still had rights to Star Twins in Japan, but the guy mentioning the code stuffs replied to them saying that they didn't own Blast Dozer (tbh they may have just said "there's still Blast Corps" so I don't know).

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Bruh, I legit can’t believe this game is out within 11 hours. The wait is going to be excruciating, but man, is it going to be satisfying to finally be able to play this game!

In the meantime i’m at work, patiently waiting for the school day to be over, watching gameplay during my off periods!

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
At least King Dedede can still taunt online (his crouch).

Dedede, that's the name you should know.

Dedede, he's the king of the show!

You'll hollar and hoot, he'll give Kirbeh the boot!

Dedede is tha one!

Isn't simply keeping the code in the game, referencing Rare titles, breaking some bounds?

Plus, do they actually even own any rights to the franchises in Japan anymore? Maybe at one time, when they still owned Rare...

Idk, I just know someone on Twitter mentioned the code stuff, someone said Nintendo still had rights to Star Twins in Japan, but the guy mentioning the code stuffs replied to them saying that they didn't own Blast Dozer (tbh they may have just said "there's still Blast Corps" so I don't know).
Finally, King dedede is top tier...

D

Deleted member

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
real talk to people ACTUALLY get tilted by taunts? How am I gonna ask people to show me their moves? Or tell them that I'm really feeling it? :p
I mean, I’d be more surprised if people didn’t get mad at taunts.

That is literally the purpose of a taunt.

To provoke someone.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Just limit taunts per minute or something. Overwatch handles emote spam pretty well
Honestly I think 1 taunt per stock makes sense. I get wanting to stop taunt parties but this stinks

Rip Luigi's viability

Yeah, Smash 4 had a 3-taunt limit per match which I already found strange but, like, why? Were taunt parties really that bad in Brawl?
At least make it an option like everything else if nothing else.
They actually were quite a nuisance when playing online in both Brawl and even sometimes in 4

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Rip Luigi's viability

Yeah, Smash 4 had a 3-taunt limit per match which I already found strange but, like, why? Were taunt parties really that bad in Brawl?
To be honest, taunt parties were a common criticism towards Brawl's online. But... you don't really need taunts for them. Just spamming attacks like Autoreticle/PK Flash or crouching is enough.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Would piranha plant crouch count as a taunt substitute?

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Now my previous post is making me think of what a reveal trailer for a Playstation All Stars 2 would be like. My guess is that it would be a ripoff of Ultimate's reveal trailer.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
But, there's only characters who've appeared in Smash, in his sig?
I know. That's why I sighed.. Nintendo, SEGA, namco-Bandai and Capcom all got their mascots in. Konami's still in the dust. I want their mascot, Goemon, to join the game T^T.. sigh. He's the only one left out of the club T^T

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now my previous post is making me think of what a reveal trailer for a Playstation All Stars 2 would be like. My guess is that it would be a ripoff of Ultimate's reveal trailer.
...why? First one's trailer was really unique, there's no reason for them to not do something similar or similarly unique.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Rip Luigi's viability

I mean, Smash 4 still had those pseudo taunt parties. They appeared in every mode except FG 1v1s. And even then, they could still happen in 1v1s if both players agreed to one.

It was super annoying.

For Fun might as well not have existed. There was no fighting in it. Nor was there fun.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Konami's mascot.
I know. That's why I sighed.. Nintendo, SEGA, namco-Bandai and Capcom all got their mascots in. Konami's still in the dust. I want their mascot, Goemon, to join the game T^T.. sigh. He's the only one left out of the club T^T

Last time I checked, Konami didn't have a mascot and even if they did, I'm more than certain it's not Goemon, not matter how much I like the games. The Mascot would likely be either Konami Man or Vic Viper.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I think it would be better if they make something unique. Its bad enough that it gets compared to smash. Games sell better when they arent seen asa cheap knock off.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I think it would be better if they make something unique. Its bad enough that it gets compared to smash. Games sell better when they arent seen asa cheap knock off.
Yeah, i guess your right about that, anyone got any ideas for a potential PSASBR 2 trailer?

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

Isn't simply keeping the code in the game, referencing Rare titles, breaking some bounds? Upon selecting the strings, the Western name for the games were shown.

Yes and no.

It's not unprecedented for copyrighted material to appear in game files that isn't accessible. For instance, a lot of Midway games used to have silly stuff in their files as placeholders that were dummied out rather than removed. If this is a mistake, there's very little incentive to go after Nintendo because they included the localized titles of properties they don't wholly own in a dummy list of text.

On the other hand, this is the kind of thing that makes third parties less willing to work with you. It makes you look clumsy and like you're playing around with things that legally you very well shouldn't be. I don't think that's the case here given the choice of names but it's still worth bringing up for comprehensivity's sake.

I'm taking the wait and see approach personally. It's possible that this points to Rare content down the line, but it is just as likely that they didn't want to tangle with overseas licensing issues over a few JPEGs.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Just dropping by to post this amazing fan video:

See you all on the other side.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Did anyone found render for banjo and koozie leak, ones with freckle and "oops! can't show this in Christian manga!" sign applied to it?

I'm curious about it tho, since there was rumors that banjo would be revealed at TGA tonight.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I will stan All-Stars till I die.

The only reason people decried it was because it was a mascot platformer. It was so astoundingly obtuse how people tarred and feathered it because it dared to enter the same genre as Smash. "It's just a rip-off" they said. Then Superbot went out of their way to make an entirely different system but people still gave them flak, because it didn't rip off Smash enough.

So yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom