• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Why do people become really rude, and uptight when someone comments within comment sections in a lot of videos? The person is just having fun making comments, nothing wrong with doing that (Unless it's similar to the slot situation where it's taking it's "Slot" of other top comments that might be deserving).

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Why do people become really rude, and uptight when someone comments within comment sections in a lot of videos? The person is just having fun making comments, nothing wrong with doing that (Unless it's similar to the slot situation where it's taking it's "Slot" of other top comments that might be deserving).
I don't know, but your profile picture makes me laugh

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
If the dark horse of a FF rep comes in. I hope it's Yuna just so she can bring this hit LGBTQ jam with her:

If its anyone from the FFX games... all two of them, It's gonna be the annoying ******* with the Bad Haircut and the annoying laugh and the Punchable Face. AKA Tidus.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
It would be cool for Big to be an Assist trophy where he goes to the highest point of the stage, and uses his fishing rod to reel opponents from the bottom.
Big is a heavyweight Echo of Isabelle. He has K. Rool's belly attacks but no armour mechanic so you can spam them as much as you like. Side special can toss opponents around while Big yells "SOOORRRRRYYYYY". Final Smash is Froggy appearing on the stage and Big chasing after him. Every person he comes into contact with is instantly KOed, for nothing will stand between Big and Froggy.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A better twist for Sylux would be some crazy *** **** like him being Samus's brother.

Yes, the long lost sibling trope is tired and what not, but that'd actually be interesting to see what it'd do to Samus's character to find that she has family out there and not only family but family that hates her for some reason.
One wears some Red, the other wears Blue. It's like Pottery in motion.

"Foolishness Samus! Foolishness!" - Sylux Metroid Prime 4.

Though I'd believe Sylux could be another mutated Metroid like Dark Samus.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice

The Octolings, another possible newcomer, if they use new weapons, clothes and animations; you have a new character (and not an echo fighter)
Octolings are sooo Nintendo.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If its anyone from the FFX games... all two of them, It's gonna be the annoying ******* with the Bad Haircut and the annoying laugh and the Punchable Face. AKA Tidus.
Yuna's far more popular than him I thought.

Or does Japan really like Tidus?

Though if any of so called 7 on this list of Square characters that's being passed around are FF characters I'd probably say something like Terra and Bartz or even Bartz/Terra and like Chocobo or maybe all of them are on the list who knows.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Big is a heavyweight Echo of Isabelle. He has K. Rool's belly attacks but no armour mechanic so you can spam them as much as you like. Side special can toss opponents around while Big yells "SOOORRRRRYYYYY". Final Smash is Froggy appearing on the stage and Big chasing after him. Every person he comes into contact with is instantly KOed, for nothing will stand between Big and Froggy.
You can't leave out his awesome as hell flaming mace of doom.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Yuna's far more popular than him I thought.

Or does Japan really like Tidus?

Though if any of so called 7 on this list of Square characters that's being passed around are FF characters I'd probably say something like Terra and Bartz or even Bartz/Terra and like Chocobo or maybe all of them are on the list who knows.
As true as that is, and as much that X is Yuna's Game instead of Meg Ryan's... Square says FFX is Tidus and made it abundantly clear with Dissidia

NineS

Smash Lord
Found this Noipoi Noipoi
Thought you'd like it
kinda bugs me the artist forgot to draw the visors/goggles/thingies around the inkling's eyes
I swear if the image doesn't load...
EDIT: Image didn't load. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/470862120649752576/514277361819320338/aa6.png
You should make it Big holding onto Giant Froggy's tail. Then we'll talk.

One wears some Red, the other wears Blue. It's like Pottery in motion.

"Foolishness Samus! Foolishness!" - Sylux Metroid Prime 4.

Though I'd believe Sylux could be another mutated Metroid like Dark Samus.
That's the exact thing I said could happen a while back. I'd honestly think it would be really cool if this was the case. We need more humanoid sentient metroids.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Huh, so K. Rool’s counter reflects projectiles? That’s cool. So it’s kinda like Palutena’s except it only works in one direction.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Was this bit said in the newest Famitsu column. I wanna look into the Incineroar deal more, but Push isn't planning to make a full translation of the column soon. :(
I'd assume Sakurai talked with the Pokémon team about including Incineroar. I also assume the Pokémon team gave Sakurai some ideas.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I want Bartz mostly for "Battle on the Big Bridge."
It's so good, they remixed it... forever.
My current personal favorite is either the Dissidia version, which gives it some dramatic flair
Or especially the World of Final Fantasy remix. GOD, THAT BASSLINE IS STRONG.

Special shoutouts to the 13-2 version which turns it into a track from Naruto though.

NineS

Smash Lord
Was this bit said in the newest Famitsu column. I wanna look into the Incineroar deal more, but Push isn't planning to make a full translation of the column soon. :(
There's this translation: https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-smash-bros-ultimate-why-incineroar-was-chosen-and-more/
Here is what he said on Incineroar:
When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once!
Incineroar, in a sense, was already chosen beforehand.
Pokemon always gets the special treatment... So far, anyway.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There's this translation: https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-smash-bros-ultimate-why-incineroar-was-chosen-and-more/
Here is what he said on Incineroar:

Incineroar, in a sense, was already chosen beforehand.
Pokemon always gets the special treatment.
This bit of info has more new interesting information than what Push claimed earlier to be no new info. Certainly helps with my speculation a bit. NE's not a reliable translator, but I will take what I can get.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
18 notifications when I come back from a meeting and then the gym? I sure must be popular!

Oh wait, I riled up the Geno fans. Oh boy.
You’re comparing two very different situations.

With Incineroar we had multiple call him out on being a newcomer that made Incineroar more likely and in many eyes a guarantee. That’s what makes it reasonable.

The only thing we have for Geno is literally just “There’s an SE character”. That’s it. Everything else is made up of your assumptions, your perspective of the current situation, and your interpretation of circumstantial “evidence” that is also up to interpretation.

Incineroar =/= Geno being unlikely.
Are they two different situations? Yes.
Do I have the same level of confidence in my claim given the different situations ? Yes.

Just like my claims with Incineroar, all will be proven with time.
TPC you know I love you and respect your arguments but your main one seems to be "he wouldn't sell enough, he's niche"

But...people are bringing up a lot of good arguments for him as well. Especially with how hard SE seems to be to work with.
I think the Mii costume does show the understanding that Geno isn't TOO niche. Sakurai even stated he still gets a /ton/ of requests specifically for Geno. I think we kinda overstate his nicheness.

Again TPC-I really do admire your debates on here, they've always proved something to me, but I'd just like to debate with you once again I suppose.

I will give you this though-yeah you sure did believe in Incineroar lol.
I always love debating you too, but I'll be honest and say that I don't have much to add to the Geno debate at this point. Or I don't have the time or motivation to do more research to back up my claims.

I'll say this though: There's a reason I believed in Incineroar.
???
Yeah during the grinch leak he was doubted, but after the September direct almost everybody I saw thought he was in.
I highlighted and bolded the important part of your statement. You may have seen a lot of people who thought he was in, but many people doubted Incineroar up to his reveal, and it was mainly myself, Noipoi Noipoi , @GoldenYuiitusin, and a few others who supported him the whole time.
Im still kind of confused how so many people, knowing how controlling and self centered TPC tends to be, still were so ready to believe that they would be fine with a pokemon they were actively promoting being dragged through the mud like that.
Again, how is that a thing?
TPC as in The Pokémon Company, or TPC as in tehponycorn (as Luigi The President Luigi The President sometimes calls me)? I'll assume the former.

Anyways, it comes down to the Smash fanbase doing what they do best: mental gymnastics to justify the inclusion of certain characters. That's why Incineroar was supposedly leak bait, or DLC, or was cut in favor of Banjo, because it made "sense" (I use air quotes because of course it didn't make sense) and allowed people to keep believing. Look how well that turned out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This was indeed said in Famitsu.
"On Incineroar:

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace."

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I want Bartz mostly for "Battle on the Big Bridge."
It's so good, they remixed it... forever.
My current personal favorite is either the Dissidia version, which gives it some dramatic flair
Or especially the World of Final Fantasy remix. GOD, THAT BASSLINE IS STRONG.

Special shoutouts to the 13-2 version which turns it into a track from Naruto though.
Why does this remind me of Pokemon Black and White 2's soundtrack?

And why do I love it so much?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
18 notifications when I come back from a meeting and then the gym? I sure must be popular!

Oh wait, I riled up the Geno fans. Oh boy.
show me them because i was at work all afternoon

i love me a good salt mine, even when im on their side

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Because BW2 OST went hard in on the MIDI basslines.
This track in particular.
God I love this track so much. It's so triumphant, but at the same time conveys a level of importance and scale. I'd say this is one of the best champion themes in Pokémon. Unfortunately, it's outclassed by Iris' theme, which is a ****ing banger and a half.

Yes I know it's not specifically a champion theme but you can fight champions to this theme so it totally counts.

D

Deleted member

Found this Noipoi Noipoi
Thought you'd like it
kinda bugs me the artist forgot to draw the visors/goggles/thingies around the inkling's eyes
The mask-thingy is there, it's just drawn very thin.

Also, this comic is glorious. Do you have a source?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This was indeed said in Famitsu.
"On Incineroar:

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace."
I cannot help but wonder if Sakurai meant the regular Sun & Moon games. Incineroar existed since 2016. The game confusion deal with Sakurai saying Zelda's new Ultimate design being based on LBW when it was actually inspired by LttP (I believe) makes me a bit hesitant to believe that Incineroar was actually picked in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom