• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It is kinda of weird for there to be a ''STINGY SQUARE" narrative when they made Octopath Traveler for Switch.

They just ported practically every modern FF over to Switch.

They also opened a separate internal studio just for Switch products.

This does contradict the whole ''They are playing hardball with Nintendo."
What does any of that have to do with Smash?

LetterO

Smash Lord
Look ya'll Phoenix Wright supporters are adorable.

I agree he's a great character, but if I want someone in a fighting game I'll take the bad *** hunter of giant monsters over some guy who points and slams his hands a lot in his game.
Look ya'll Piranha Plant supporters are adorable.

I agree he's a great character, but if I want someone in a fighting game, I'll take the bad *** puppet with magic and a gun arm over some plant who bites alot in his games.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I agree he's a great character, but if I want someone in a fighting game I'll take the bad *** hunter of giant monsters over some guy who points and slams his hands a lot in his game.
Couldn't agree more.

EDIT: Goddammit, Smashboards. You're stealing my thunder with this no-images-****.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s worth noting that Sakurai did say around e3 “I seized the moment and twisted some arms to make this dream a reality”.
So at least one of the companies who had a character in the game was being stingy.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I sure did.

I don't want him to come in and have the literal exact same move set as MvC3 in Smash.

That's just....boring.

I get it when it comes to people like Ryu and Ken, but lol, Phoenix gives a chance for Sakurai to be creative in his own way, why would you ask him to just do what Capcom did?

I wouldn't even want Monster Hunter to fight like she did in Infinite.
I getcha just had to do it lol

Look ya'll Piranha Plant supporters are adorable.

I agree he's a great character, but if I want someone in a fighting game, I'll take the bad *** puppet with magic and a gun arm over some plant who bites alot in his games.
Nooo no no you leave him outta this

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

But the lawyer would be so much more quirky and humorous!

....They should at least throw Mr.Wright a bone with a mii costume if he doesn't get in.

Don't pretend that I don't see that you have a secretary set as your main.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You what makes even more sense?

Sakurai not lying when he said “These are all the fighters.”
That could be true, but I think we should break the quote apart letter by letter and talk about how incredibly likely all of our favorite characters are before we come to any crazy conclusions like that.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

I haven't played any games in either series, but I'd rather have Phoenix Wright tbh. We already have a bunch of fighters who are known for fighting monsters, and I don't really see Monster Hunter bringing anything new to the table. But I'd love to have a lawyer who fights for JUSTICE! His moveset would probably be incredibly creative and funny.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Meh I am leaving SmashBoards until December 10th. It is honestly getting pretty boring talking about DLC, and the flare of this website in general seemed to decrease as the final roster is leaked. DLC will definitely be hype, but until that, there is going to be a drought. I will take any DLC characters. The only one I really want is Steve and that is it. All of the characters are already satisfying to me. I am sure Sakurai and his team will make very smart choices with DLC. I hate no characters, and none bore me. Classic Mode looks fantastic and Spirits are already making up for the trophies being lost, oh this game looks glorious.

I agree when @BluePikmin11 says speculation is becoming more boring. Honestly it is, and I would rather go play Ultimate than constantly speculate about the next character. Plus Twitter and Discord have really been growing on me lately.

I will leave Wednesday, goodbye folks.

Good thing I have it downloaded ready on December 7th, 2018. A.K.A the 77th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
Yeah. I do have to agree that speculation has definitely become more stale nowadays. Especially if we take the "spirits deconifm fighters" mindset, to the point where we could probably think of a DLC roster that a good portion of the boards would actually agree upon.

Hopefully that isn't the case; but at this point, our best lead is Vergeben (and to a much lesser extent, Hitagi), so pretty much any speculation revolve around what they say.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
It’s worth noting that Sakurai did say around e3 “I seized the moment and twisted some arms to make this dream a reality”.
So at least one of the companies who had a character in the game was being stingy.
I'd imagine he meant Konami.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
But the lawyer would be so much more quirky and humorous!

....They should at least throw Mr.Wright a bone with a mii costume if he doesn't get in.

Don't pretend that I don't see that you have a secretary set as your main.
SHHHHH.

You leave me alone, fam.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Meh I am leaving SmashBoards until December 10th. It is honestly getting pretty boring talking about DLC, and the flare of this website in general seemed to decrease as the final roster is leaked. DLC will definitely be hype, but until that, there is going to be a drought. I will take any DLC characters. The only one I really want is Steve and that is it. All of the characters are already satisfying to me. I am sure Sakurai and his team will make very smart choices with DLC. I hate no characters, and none bore me. Classic Mode looks fantastic and Spirits are already making up for the trophies being lost, oh this game looks glorious.

I agree when @BluePikmin11 says speculation is becoming more boring. Honestly it is, and I would rather go play Ultimate than constantly speculate about the next character. Plus Twitter and Discord have really been growing on me lately.

This will be my last post before I go, goodbye folks.

Good thing I have it downloaded ready on December 7th, 2018. A.K.A the 77th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
Given how a boatload of new info just came out today and DLC is still being discussed, I bet people will still be arguing about DLC on December 10.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Uh, okay.

Since when is wanting a character a competition?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I agree he's a great character ,but if I want someone in a fighting game I'll take the bad *** hunter of giant monsters over some guy who points and slams his hands a lot in his game.
Objection!
Have you seen Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3? He'd be such a fun and stupid character to play as...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well to be fair not everyone has played Mario RPG(it's one of the few Mario games I have yet to play plus I'm not big on RPG games though I do like Paper Mario and M&L games) I honestly didn't really know Geno before he was brought up among the Smash community.
I didn't know Geno before seeing him online (mainly from (if not just from) the Smash community), either, but I also didn't know Cloud, Sora, Crono, Dragon Quest, nor a lot of other characters before online stuffs tbh. Geno interests me because of what I've read about his character, plus he looks cool imo; I also have yet to play SMRPG, hoping to get an SNES Classic this December.

I understand not everyone knows Geno, but not everyone knows these other characters either, some less-so than others.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So... Now Steve is inevitable? XD
Honestly I'm not even confident in Steve anymore. Hitagi seems unreliable and Verg has yet to go beyond the vagueness of "Minecraft content" even with the former's insistence on the character.
He's still certainly on the radar but I'm not sure he's guaranteed.
Uh, okay.

Since when is wanting a character a competition?
Since forever, you must not hang around this thread much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
But does Phoenix have a tiny cat that follows him everywhere in bad ass armor and a weapon of it's own?

Nah. Didn't think so. All he has is a cute secretary.

Though Maya meeting Isabelle would be adorable.

D

Deleted member

I sure did.

I don't want him to come in and have the literal exact same move set as MvC3 in Smash.

That's just....boring.

I get it when it comes to people like Ryu and Ken, but lol, Phoenix gives a chance for Sakurai to be creative in his own way, why would you ask him to just do what Capcom did?

I wouldn't even want Monster Hunter to fight like she did in Infinite.
No one is asking for Phoenix to be just like his MvC3 incarnation, it's just a lot easier to say "look at this game" instead of explaining an entire character's moveset potential, specially when the dumb "uh but what would he even do? he has no moveset potential!" thing is so prevalent.
Y'know that DQ XI was literally THE FIRST GAME ever announced on the Switch, even back then when it was called NX right?
actually no but i havent followed the dq franchise since 1980

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Could you imagine...

"EVERYONE. IS. HERE.*

*Except Cloud Strife because Square's being a *****."

Roberk

Smash Champion

Says the supporter of a pacifist Shih Tzu secretary?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Look ya'll are legitimately thinking I just said **** Phoenix Wright.

Can ya'll stop @ing me like I slaughtered him dead?

I'd take him as a Capcom rep too. I just want Monster Hunter more. Lol.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Honestly I'm not even confident in Steve anymore. Hitagi seems unreliable and Verg has yet to go beyond the vagueness of "Minecraft content" even with Hitagi's insistence on the character.

I've literally been here for months.

People argue a lot, sure. And they fervently support their characters.

But it doesn't really feel like a competition.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it's sheer coincidence I finally picked them up. I had a free B1G1 that was going to expire in a day, and my nearest Gamestop had JUST gotten a copy of Bravely Default and M&L Paper Jam traded in by the same guy, so I got those and Octopath Traveler for under $70 total. Then that same week I found Bravely Second's collectors edition still in-box selling for $60, and was like damn.

Now I have to actually play them but I just keep highfiving my Eevee's tail instead.
Dang, those are all crazy good deals. That's awesome!

I can relate about the backlog. I have lots of stuff lined up to play, and yet I sit here playing Smash on my 3DS and replaying Kirby: Star Allies Guest Star mode over and over, lol.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm not even confident in Steve anymore. Hitagi seems unreliable and Verg has yet to go beyond the vagueness of "Minecraft content" even with the former's insistence on the character.

I really don't trust Hitagi. I still honestly think that Banjo would be the Microsoft character if there even is one. It's the only one Phil Spencer has ever mentioned when talking about Smash.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Could you imagine...

"EVERYONE. IS. HERE.*

*Except Cloud Strife because Square's being a *****."
Or what if Everyone was back in Smash Ultimate ... except for a really random first-party character who was excluded for no obvious reason. Like they straight up didn't bring back Falco or something. And Sakurai never mentioned it or gave any explanation.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So that's 3 confirmed, 4 implied and the Master & Crazy hands most likely based on tradition. Still 1 short of Brawl's 10 Bosses. Wonder if another will return or if there's another new one waiting in the wings.
I think there will be, between Galleon's return and the reusing of assets from within the game, bosses like Duon, Rayquaza and Porky can come back and those like Death, Metal Face, Yellow Devil, Dark Lord and the like are potential candidates to be upgraded for the mode. They either already exist in the game proper and/or have been conceptualized as bosses before, so the options for the development team to make use out of them is there. It's just a question of how far they're willing to go for the mode since as you mentioned Brawl did end off at 10 and nothing says that they have to go further then that, but if they want to give more options for the player to fight then they could easily blow past that number.

Can we all agree though that if Capcom gets a DLC rep it should and needs to be Monster Hunter.

Give me more classic modes with a Rathalos boss fight.

MORE.
You have my vote! Monster Hunter would be such a cool fighter, especially with all the weapon options that they could use.

D

Deleted member

Or what if Everyone was back in Smash Ultimate ... except for a really random first-party character who was excluded for no obvious reason. Like they straight up didn't bring back Falco or something. And Sakurai never mentioned it or gave any explanation.
That character just starts disappearing from their own games too. Nobody at Nintendo ever acknowledges them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom