• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I think Elma would maybe cause some initial salt sure, but I don’t think people would mind after a little bit.
If Sakurai used all of her potential, she would have a really unique moveset of dual blades and guns, and a mech for a potential final smash. People would think she’s awesome(bc she is)

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I don’t think many would be upset with Elma. Xenoblade needs another rep. If Fire Emblem or Pokémon (or Mario to a lesser degree) got another rep, then folks would be salty

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Elma would maybe cause some initial salt sure, but I don’t think people would mind after a little bit.
If Sakurai used all of her potential, she would have a really unique moveset of dual blades and guns, and a mech for a potential final smash. People would think she’s awesome(bc she is)
Eh, they can still pull the "anime" card. At this point any newer character might cause salt, but I'm not sure if I'll care, as you said, she's awesome.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I want their Warioware Gold redesign.
I agree, if they did somehow get in: their Brawl designs seem a bit uncanny valley. They have updated several of the art assets in Gamer to reflect WarioWare gold, so presumably they would go with the re-designs if we did get another WarioWare character.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
1. Why? It is a kissed opportunity imo.
Kissed opportunity, huh? That's what I tell anyone who says that they dislike Rotty. She's a great kisser, so they'd be really missing out...
Here's your mysterious first-party sword user(s)
Kat & Ana would be great! :D
Elma's so cool. :)

Last edited:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Eh, they can still pull the "anime" card. At this point any newer character might cause salt, but I'm not sure if I'll care, as you said, she's awesome.
I guess....I wish people could chill on the anime stuff? Like I never understood why people didn’t like characters designed like that? I really don’t mind as long as they’re unique...like do people consider ZSS, peach, Zelda, Bayo, link, captain Falcon anime...because I really don’t see that much of a difference between the style those characters are in vs. Lucian Corrin and Marth.

Hehe I think people just like to hear themselves talk(or in this case just maybe like the sound of their own typing idfk)

But whatever I like them and welcome them :p

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don’t think many would be upset with Elma. Xenoblade needs another rep. If Fire Emblem or Pokémon (or Mario to a lesser degree) got another rep, then folks would be salty
People can get as salty as they want with another Mario/Pokemon rep, but should it really suprise them if that's who we get? Nintendo urging Sakurai to make Pokemon #11 to promote Gen VIII makes more sense than them suddenly showing concerns about fair and equal representation between franchises.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I wish companies would stop making season passes without disclosing the specifics of what you're getting upon purchase. Such a shady deal.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean I wouldn’t say that makes it particularly better but I’m glad he at least recognises how shady it is
I don't think it's that shady. A lot of people will purchase the content regardless of what it is, just to have more new stages and characters.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it's that shady. A lot of people will purchase the content regardless of what it is, just to have more new stages and characters.
I mean for me the problem is they’re essentially letting you preemptively pay for things they haven’t even shown off yet. You don’t know what you’re actually paying for, just that it’s something, and the fact that you get bonus content for buying the pass is just encouraging it I feel. It’s essentially the same problem I have with pre-ordeing and preorder bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean for me the problem is they’re essentially letting you preemptively pay for things they haven’t even shown off yet. You don’t know what you’re actually paying for, just that it’s something, and the fact that you get bonus content for buying the pass is just encouraging it I feel.
Keyword is "letting". It's just a way for people who aren't selective about post-release content to get a discount. They are encouraging it, sure, but PP is neither an essential character nor a limited offer (he's just free for a limited time) and they even warned the customers.

There are a lot worse ways to do a season pass.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Keyword is "letting". It's just a way for people who aren't selective about post-release content to get a discount. They are encouraging it, sure, but PP is neither an essential character nor a limited offer (he's just free for a limited time) and they even warned the customers.

I've seen very few worse ways to do a season pass then this, which is the run-of-the-mill diceroll that companies have been doing for years.
The best way to do it would be to just disclose everything that you're offering, at least be transparent about it.

D

Deleted member

There are worse ways I agree, but I wouldn’t say change thats they’re announcing it before the game is even out, essentially telling whoever’s watching that they’ve already got DLC planned out, which kind of leads into the whole DLC debate. I’d agree that it’s not the worst thing in the world, but it does bug me a bit, if you get me. I appreciate that Sakurai was very honest about it though. That’s nice.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I mean for me the problem is they’re essentially letting you preemptively pay for things they haven’t even shown off yet. You don’t know what you’re actually paying for, just that it’s something, and the fact that you get bonus content for buying the pass is just encouraging it I feel. It’s essentially the same problem I have with pre-ordeing and preorder bonuses.
It doesn't seem like a big deal that they're putting out a pass at all. I already know I'm gonna buy every piece of DLC this game has, just like I did with Smash 4. I have the time and money now, so I'm purchasing them now and saving myself the effort.
Let's be honest here: are you really so committed to potentially boycotting this hypothetical fighter that you'd rather be the only guy at the tournament with an incomplete setup? When your friends play with you and try to choose that character, are you going to explain to them that you aren't spending six bucks on them for the greater good of Nintendo? Of course not, that's silly.
Everybody who hated Corrin (including me) still bought him anyway, because he was part of the game. It'll be the same thing this go-round.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't seem like a big deal that they're putting out a pass at all. I already know I'm gonna buy every piece of DLC this game has, just like I did with Smash 4. I have the time and money now, so I'm purchasing them now and saving myself the effort.
Let's be honest here: are you really so committed to potentially boycotting this hypothetical fighter that you'd rather be the only guy at the tournament with an incomplete setup? When your friends play with you and try to choose that character, are you going to explain to them that you aren't spending six bucks on them for the greater good of Nintendo? Of course not, that's silly.
Everybody who hated Corrin (including me) still bought him anyway, because he was part of the game. It'll be the same thing this go-round.
I disagree with the practice at its core. I’m not gonna say people aren’t allowed to buy the DLC, that’s ridiculous, people are free to do whatever they want with their money. I’m almost certainly going to buy the DLC too. I just don’t like the practice of announcing a season pass before the game is even out, and am voicing my opinion.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
In what way is not buying content that doesn't interest you a boycott?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If they're anime and have a sword, the Smash community will tear that character to pieces. Hell, even if it's someone like Sora, most of the community will still be enraged.
Most people will not get salty over Sora due to being an anime swords/keysman
I would be more understanding, if Fire Emblem or Xenoblade were really animes.
Fire Emblem had an anime, and has anime influence design wise...so yeah
You all have it wrong. This mysterious character doesn't wield a sword, it is a sword.

Aegislash Hones it's Edge!

Wrong Edge I was thinking of
In what way is not buying content that doesn't interest you a boycott?
Not Related but...Bayo booty approved

D

Deleted member

There will never be the level of salt that Zoe would generate
She's the only character who could generate that level of salt
Would the Fantastic Four and Superman bring toxic salt too?

With toxic salt, i refer to people harassing or trashing Sakurai for not adding Batman, Spider-Man or Wolverine.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
There will never be the level of salt that Zoe would generate
She's the only character who could generate that level of salt
I think they would be more like, "Who the heck is this? Some My Little Pony thing?" (I know that it's not, but they may not know that). But yeah, they probably would think it'd be pretty dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom