• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just had an epiphany and figured out who the Square Enix rep is. Best part is that he could rep both SE and Bamco. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you
View attachment 168106
Step aside, Goku, Edward will be our first anime character in Smash :^)
FMA is the only comic I have all the volumes and it's one of my favourite visual media of all times. But were any of his games really good?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
There are a lot of logistical obstacles I can see arriving with trying to place Sora in this game, so his inclusion seems to be lower than 1% imo.
I respect that opinion but actually, his chances seems as high as ever
At least 5%

But ahem, no seriously, the only logistical obstacles is a "yes" from Disney/Nomura. No more, no less. Just like the others Third Parties.

I just had an epiphany and figured out who the Square Enix rep is. Best part is that he could rep both SE and Bamco. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you
View attachment 168106
Step aside, Goku, Edward will be our first anime character in Smash :^)
Cheeky you.
Would support tbvh

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
One thing I always think about in regards to Geno & Isaac as the remainders of Brawl era most wanted is that Geno got a good amount of attention in Smash 4 (Mii costume with special reveal as well as specifically touched upon by Sakurai in a Famitsu article). On the other hand Isaac, went backwards in 4 and was removed as an AT...I'll honestly never understand that but it stands out to me.

(Btw the other thing I think of from that Brawl era, is how even though I didn't know/care for Isaac, he made sense to me. Geno back then never made sense and I always thought it was a crazy, out there fan want. And roughly 10 years later it's hard to believe that I am predicting Geno and not Isaac...)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Part of what I mean by disguised is that they add some characters they want + some common guesses/prediction. Also I doesn't follow the youtube based seculation community.
Captain Toad is absolutely on on lists because people want him. There really isn't a stong case for him being in. people that are predicting him either want him (in at least subtle ways), or were basing their prediction on other peoples.
And Spring Man & Rex was not too bad guesses outside the timing. But yes these were the typical "safe" guesses to makes their predictions more realistic.
I tend to be a bit guilty of this myself — my four most wanted in Smash (Bomberman, Krystal, Bowser Jr., and Vaati) have always been consistent. Personally, what makes me want a character is typically their potential to fill a vacant niche in the roster, though how much I personally like the character does play a part (mainly for Bomberman and Dragonite). I largely started taking an interest in Ridley, K. Rool, Lip, Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Bandanna Dee, Captain Toad, and Shantae being included in Smash from seeing their supportive fanbases, though I checked out what each of those characters could bring to Smash before fully supporting them (and I was already quite familiar with most of them, which helped). There are some popular characters who I refuse to support, though I won't particularly begrudge them getting in (well, maybe I won't); namely Skull Kid, who will be the second coming of Wolf IMO and TBFO one of my most wanteds (but I can't really be salty about Skull Kid overshadowing Vaati because Skull Kid genuinely deserves it, considering that Majora's Mask has been such a grand success), and I can't really see Lloyd Irving bringing anything distinct to the roster besides double swords, which isn't nearly as cool as the monster-summoning gimmick of his successors Emil and Marta.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not immune to the bandwagoning you speak of. I've been there. But the bandwagon effect is never, ever my only reason for supporting a character. And I'm not interested in "being right", I'm interested in sharing in the joy of interesting characters' devoted fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno was a big laughing stock back in Smash 4, that much I can remember. I remember us all laughing at some guy saying Geno could be revealed as DLC and then we saw the Mii Costume and it was like "oh so it wasn't that crazy". Geno's popularity only came back with the costume and Sakurai's comment, but whether or not that would even matter for his inclusion or if it even came back soon enough for them to even notice it is still up in the air.
FMA is the only comic I have all the volumes and it's one of my favourite visual media of all times. But were any of his games really good?
Never played any of them tbh but I'm kinda dissapointed it doesn't seem to have received any fighting games

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One thing I always think about in regards to Geno & Isaac as the remainders of Brawl era most wanted is that Geno got a good amount of attention in Smash 4 (Mii costume with special reveal as well as specifically touched upon by Sakurai in a Famitsu article). On the other hand Isaac, went backwards in 4 and was removed as an AT...I'll honestly never understand that but it stands out to me.

(Btw the other thing I think of from that Brawl era, is how even though I didn't know/care for Isaac, he made sense to me. Geno back then never made sense and I always thought it was a crazy, out there fan want. And roughly 10 years later it's hard to believe that I am predicting Geno and not Isaac...)
Yes the fact that Isaac more consistently places within the top ten than almost any other character for the better part of the decade and has even less to show for it than when he was undeniably outclassed by many eventual inclusions is worthy of a good long cry.

If he's nothing again it might be time for me to start dabbling in nihilism. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Geno was a big laughing stock back in Smash 4, that much I can remember. I remember us all laughing at some guy saying Geno could be revealed as DLC and then we saw the Mii Costume and it was like "oh so it wasn't that crazy". Geno's popularity only came back with the costume and Sakurai's comment, but whether or not that would even matter for his inclusion or if it even came back soon enough for them to even notice it is still up in the air.

Never played any of them tbh but I'm kinda dissapointed it doesn't seem to have received any fighting games
Nah we made fun of a guy who claimed Geno was important to video game history

I think a ps2 game was a fighting game?

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Anyone care for a second of pointless speculation? I was basing a possible CSS off of this image in the direct - View attachment 168098
Which would likely be a row of 12 on the top and Jiggly starting the second row under Mario. However then there's this photo - View attachment 168099
Is there any way for this to happen, this being Jiggly Puff remaining under Mario starting the 2nd row but also Young Link remaining under Jiggly starting the 3rd row?

With echoes collapsed and Jiggly still there the top row should be 11 characters. We could assume the second row would also collapse to 11, however there are two echo fighters (Daisy & Lucina). Thus Young Link should have moved up to the second row to complete it and Gannon should start the third row.
The rows are still even (Jiggly still directly under Mario) so it's not like the rows were pushed one way or the other to balance it out.

It probably is nothing and was just a quick mock up to show this example, but I love speculating about the CSS :p
If the echoes are collapsed increasing the row count to 13 makes it fit nicely. This is all assuming Ken and Incineroar are the last 2 characters for the base roster however.

Ultimate Roster no echo.png

osby

Smash Obsessed

If Geno gets in, nobody is allowed to call Sakurai's decisions weird.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

What's important is that the Geno costume came out during/after the ballot. A lot of people think he was put in as a costume with his own splash because he was a popular character on there but Sakurai had chosen Cloud because it's Cloud and you do not miss the opportunity to get that character in your game.

I sincerely think Geno has his chance now. Sakurai acknowledged it back in 2016. We know about the costume. Other costume based characters have so far made it in. Like Lloyd/Heihachi for Bamco, Geno is another reasonable 3rd party that would do amazingly well in base or DLC. Is it going to happen? Who knows, but I do sure hope so, so that way his fan base finally wins after these 10 years.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Uh... And another little fun poll but the Italy community did another Smash Ballot for their own aaaand those are the result.
Which can be a nice insight for Europe's popularity

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah we made fun of a guy who claimed Geno was important to video game history

I think a ps2 game was a fighting game?
Apparently there were some... not they were ever released outside of Japan though.

Eh, who knows, maybe someday they'll come back to it like they're doing with Kill la Kill. It meeded a fighting game for a long ass time and now we're finally getting it.
Uh... And another little fun poll but the Italy community did another Smash Ballot for their own aaaand those are the result.

Rayman is clearly european biases

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Same.

I honestly believe that if he hadn't been an AT, nobody would even know who this character was.
Pretty ignorant thing to say. He became an AT BECAUSE many people knew who he was and have been pulling for him for more than a decade. Golden Sun and its sequel were 2 of the best selling and most critically acclaimed games on the GBA. And their developer, Camelot, is a subsidiary of Nintendo.

A lot of people know who Isaac is. A couple of my closest friends have him as their most wanted not because of the internet speculation machine, but because they love Golden Sun. Bandwagoning has admittedly helped his cause like many other characters, but there are a lot of people who flat out love his home games and consider it shocking that they the series gets so little attention.

Its ok to not support a character or have no interest in them (I have these feelings about Geno) but to proclaim that no one knows who they are and that these votes are somehow pretending or riding a bandwagon is just false.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
FMA: Brotherhood is downright the best goshdang anime I've ever seen. It's like all the good stuff I like about anime but with almost none of the stuff that drives me away from it. It's been a good long while since I've watched it though, so I can't go too in depth on why I love it, but I just haven't ever been able to find an anime who's writing quality quite matches it. I'm in the boat that doesn't consider The Last Airbender as an anime though, otherwise that would take first place.

On that note, Aang is low key a pipe dream roster pick of mine. Although I'd rather The Last Airbender got its own fighting game, there's just so much potential with that cast.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If the echoes are collapsed increasing the row count to 13 makes it fit nicely. This is all assuming Ken and Incineroar are the last 2 characters for the base roster however.

View attachment 168111
While this doesn't answer my initial question, I love this! Except...there's no room for a random square!

The fact that a 6x12 and 5x13 work perfectly for this 72 character roster has to be a sign...maybe we won't get the random square this time?

xleft

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0885-3621-8019
There are a lot of logistical obstacles I can see arriving with trying to place Sora in this game, so his inclusion seems to be lower than 1% imo.
His chances aren't super high but come on it's not even close to 1% (whatever you based that percentage on lmao). As Nekoo said, his chances are higher than ever now, especially with KH 3 coming this January. It's the perfect timing.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Pretty ignorant thing to say. He became an AT BECAUSE many people knew who he was and have been pulling for him for more than a decade.
Over a decade?
*browses Google
Golden Sun came out in 2001 and Brawl came out in 2008. What.

While this doesn't answer my initial question, I love this! Except...there's no room for a random square!

The fact that a 6x12 and 5x13 work perfectly for this 72 character roster has to be a sign...maybe we won't get the random square this time?
*looks at Melee
*looks at Smash 4
Bigger what.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Apparently there were some... not they were ever released outside of Japan though.

Eh, who knows, maybe someday they'll come back to it like they're doing with Kill la Kill. It meeded a fighting game for a long *** time and now we're finally getting it.

Rayman is clearly european biases
I cannot ****ing believe Kamen Rider had more fighting games released outside Japan than FMA

Top 2? The ****? Not a 10, 5 or even 3 but 2?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

There's no way Sakurai wouldn't include the random square. It's been in almost all the games, why take it out now? Also, wasn't it in the demo? If anything, we'll have the final character for the base game, some blank squares for DLC and then the random square

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Ok, but why isn't Dixie Kong anywhere on that new Reddit poll?

Actually I'm now noticing that there aren't any characters who are speculated to be echo fighters. (Shadow, Ken, Impa, Funky, etc.).

Is there a echo fighter fan poll?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I KNEW MY ITALIAN FRIENDS HAVE GOOD TASTES LOOKING AT #6. We really are in here.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Oh hey Skull Kid came in third-

Skull Kid came in third

:shades:

edit: idk how many places were in the poll, but Geno came in 8th at least =)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i honestly doubt ken will be announced along side incineroar unless its a full on smash direct
I kinda feel like he has to for Box Theory to survive, as the only way it still works in my eyes after a solo Incineroar reveal is Ken being unique and there being no Echos left, which I really, really doubt.

Man, I really hope something happens next week. Getting some answers on these theories and having some actual proof either for or against would be nice, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Either Italy has some really weird tastes, or I have some really weird tastes (it's probably me), because I don't want any of these characters :p

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
MY PLAN IS RUINED
I knew what you were trying to go for, but it's not the best idea to base the number of characters left on the basis of an even CSS.

The only 2 games that had an even CSS were:

Smash 64 (which didn't have random, but only 12 characters)
Brawl (which did have random included in that rectangle)

Melee and Smash 4 (both in the base and after the final DLC) had uneven rosters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Can we agree that fan polls do not represent anything at all.
No **** dude, it's just a nice way and our best way to see and look at characters popularity.
They mean jack-**** for the main game, but good enough to see and deduce things (Like Llyod having a silent support and Geno being " Who?" in Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom