• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I have a new topic: With Smash speculation having a completely different ballgame, are there any aspects of speculation left that you feel are still fun to predict? Like, we got people predicting Echo fighters and people currently doing a process of elimination with newcomers as a result of Smash's roster direction/shocking Assist Trophy de-confirmations. Do you think the different direction is a complete turn-off for you as a Smash speculator?
Honestley, It's not a big Turn-Off to me.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I can't tell the difference to be honest. My train of thought is exactly the way it was before.

Speculation is just speculation at the end of the day.

I've had a pretty bad encounter with a Mimikyu supporter that completely soured me on the Pokemon, and I wasn't fond of it to begin with.
Direct competition with my most wanted character is also a factor, albeit a small one.
Can't say I'm not guilty of that myself. Once Waluigi was deconfirmed (disconfirmed?) I smirked to myself for a minute just because of a few in here. Sucks too because I actually do like Waluigi.

Decidueye people are pretty cool usually so I can't say much. He does pose a threat to Mimikyu though and its....irritating for me. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I have a new topic: With Smash speculation having a completely different ballgame, are there any aspects of speculation left that you feel are still fun to predict? Like, we got people predicting Echo fighters and people currently doing a process of elimination with newcomers as a result of Smash's roster direction/shocking Assist Trophy de-confirmations. Do you think the different direction is a complete turn-off for you as a Smash speculator?
Well for me, the parts of speculation that have been shattered have been replaced by wanting to have discussion about things we now know. There's plenty of things to discuss still, its just less talking about the unknown.

?????????????

Smash Master
No, I'm still having fun! It's different for sure, but it's just like playing a new game. Now, I have to guess which of the few potential newcomers they REALLY thought it was important to prioritize, plus I can always start early advocation for characters like Waluigi.

ESPECIALLY Waluigi.

Troykv

Smash Master
Not that I'm aware of

He looks largely unchanged, and different from Tink in that Tink has new smashes it looks like.
It seems Young Link is mostly designed to be that legacy character with the original Link moveset, but overall faster.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So alot of people are Talking about Speculation and stuff, but this is one thing i wanted to bring up.
Are any of you guys going to be working on Smash Bros. Ultimate Fan Art

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
While the topic of Link is up, I am absolutely elated by the decisions they made for Link. Each version is going to play very unique from the others. And BotW Link looks ridiculously fun with the remote bombs.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
An Echo Fighter option that no one has talked about:

Metal Mario, who made his Smash debut as an non-playable boss in the original game....

.....and has since become a separate entity within the Mario games as a rival to Mario.

Notably, we have yet to see the Metal Box item (to my knowledge; PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), nor any pictures of characters being metal (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

So is being gold in place of being metal now?
And if so, is Metal Mario a possible Echo?
Imagine that... Daisy AND Metal Mario getting in Smash over Waluigi and Toad. :facepalm:

I can see Metal Mario happening. It makes too much sense and it's a homage to the original Smash 64 game where Metal Mario was treated as a separate character... and the theme of Smash Ultimate is "Everyone is here" (looks like that rumored "Heroes vs Villains" theme was just that... a rumor).

Well, at least Pink Gold Peach didn't get in as an Echo Fighter. THAT would have broken the Internet. :crazy:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
While the topic of Link is up, I am absolutely elated by the decisions they made for Link. Each version is going to play very unique from the others. And BotW Link looks ridiculously fun with the remote bombs.
Same here! I've been getting into Zelda recently, haven't played many games, but I'm a big Fan of the lore, and the changes made to link are so cool!

?????????????

Smash Master
Imagine that... Daisy AND Metal Mario getting in Smash over Waluigi and Toad. :facepalm:

I can see Metal Mario happening. It makes too much sense and it's a homage to the original Smash 64 game where Metal Mario was treated as a separate character... and the theme of Smash Ultimate is "Everyone is here" (looks like that rumored "Heroes vs Villains" theme was just that... a rumor).
Duuuuuuuuuuude....

If they make Metal Mario an echo, his trailer better include that battle theme from Smash 64 against Metal Mario.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's weird that the only gen 7 Pokeball Pokemon are Bewear, Lunala, Alolan Raichu, and Solgaleo. That combined with the fact we have to see an Alola stage really makes me think they're hiding a significant portion of Pokemon's content to be revealed with a gen 7 Pokemon.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Well I'm gonna do a top 5 list too:

1, King K. Rool (by popular demand)
2. Porky (I just feel it, I feel that earthbound could have a newcomer, and Porky already have a past with Smash)
3. Bandana Dee (the fact that Dedede didn't got his dance back give me the feeling that it could happen)
4. Elma (I also have the feeling)
5. Geno (Sakurai always wanted to add him and like K. Rool, he is popular)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
While im neutral to captain toad , i dont think that being part of peach/daisy moveset affect his chances at all. that being said, seems that my prediction of 5-6 newcomers MAX was spot on. we may get even less.

Hot take on Decidieye we, have FIVE archers now, two of them can fly.

- There are no wrestlers

- There are no tricky ghosts
Uhm... actually there is also a fire wrestler type as bowser, considering he have a couple of wrestling style moves and a grab heavy game.
Also, pikachu libre.

not shoting down incineroar, but he isnt in a too different spot than decidueye.

im more in the lycanrock or mimikyu camp though (indeed, no tricky ghosts... Pacman maybe? XD, and if we can have 3 links :p we can have 3 "pikachus")

still, i may need to be happy with my "second gen representation" in pichu /s

At least maybe he can relieve jigglypuff of the worst character/joke character spot.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
WAIT, nevermind. Just saw the bombs.

Maybe they could still do other references, though. The Fire Arrows are nice, but I'd like to see some notable distinctions from Toon Link. Link looks different enough from Toon Link now to really satisfy me.
we havent seen young links final smash, skull kid being cut as an assist trophy to bring down the moon? or something with the masks would be cool.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
we havent seen young links final smash, skull kid being cut as an assist trophy to bring down the moon? or something with the masks would be cool.
I will be disappointed if Young Link's Final Smash didn't involve Deku Link, Goron Link, Zora Link, and Fierce Deity Link... or at least just Fierce Deity Link.

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, we have the basic Young Link; the wacky & swift Toon Link and the stronger and Link... Which I'm not sure which words use to describe him xD

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
It's weird that the only gen 7 Pokeball Pokemon are Bewear, Lunala, Alolan Raichu, and Solgaleo. That combined with the fact we have to see an Alola stage really makes me think they're hiding a significant portion of Pokemon's content to be revealed with a gen 7 Pokemon.
POKEMON TRAINER 2

Up Special: Fly with Decidueye
Down Special: Counter with Mimikyu
Side Special: Ram into people w/ Tauros
Neutral Special: Throw a Pokeball

Side Smash: Incineroar
Up Smash: Lycanroc
Down Smash: Water by Primarina
Final Smash: The 4 Island Deities

EZ way to deconfirm all of the front runners for Alola :laugh:

Last edited:

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
That would be awesome, still kinda hoping they upgraded Skull Kid to being playable though!

And i kinda think they see Young Link as the OoT version, seeing he has nothing to show that he’s from MM (even a small mask like how he looks in HW would satisfy me)

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Capture d’écran 2018-06-13 à 14.23.57.png

Fun fact : When G&W grabs a character, it displays the character's stock icon instead of his 3D model
(New stock icons are LIT)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I think it's wild that we've got three Links and they all have different arrows, that's disproportionally exciting for me compared to what it should be.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It's pretty clear that from the three we know, Echo characters aren't just clones, they're similar enough that they could almost be alternate costumes. So Gardevoir do not work as a Zelda Echo
Dry Bowser (Bowser) not quite popular enough for me to find likely.
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong) Weird without surfboard, but body shape works out
Impa (Sheik) Works Well
Dark Samus (Samus) Don't uses her potential, but works pretty well
Chrom (Ike) Change eruption to something electric and it should work
Ninten (Ness) they're similar characters to my Knowledge.
Isabelle (Villager) plausible I think
Octoling (Splatoon)
Not Likely in my opinion
Dixie (Diddy Kong) Unless they removed it tail attack makes this awkward.
Raichu (Pikachu) Body too Different
Medusa (Palutena) Palutena's wing attacks makes this weird
It bothers me Alph didn't get echoed with a rock pikmin.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Okay, so I’m not even going to try and guess who is in anymore, rather who I wouldn’t be surprised seeing at this point. Especially now that “Echo Fighters” exist.

So, as for full on newcomers I could see the a selection of the following:
Paper Mario, Captain Toad, King K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, Ashley, Lycanroc (Dusk Form), Mimikyu, Decidueye, Incineroar, Impa* (HW), Bandana Dee, Hades, Medusa*, Celica, Fire Emblem: Three Houses Protagonist, Balloon Fighter, Ray MK (Custom Robo.), Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Elma, Tap Trial Girl (or another Rhythm Heaven Rep.) Isabelle*, Octoling*, Simon Belmont, Sora.

As Echoes:
Medusa (Echo of Palutena), Impa ( Echo of Sheik), Ribbon Girl (Echo of Spring Man), Isabelle (Echo of Villager, which I hope doesn’t happen.), Octoling (Echo of Inkling), Dark Samus (Echo of Samus), and I can’t think of anymore I could viably see right now. I’m also pre occupied a little with work so there’s that.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I just love how much love has been put into this game.

and his stage!

which only existed in classic mode and not multiplayer in Smash 64!
Getting Meta Crystal back with the GOAT Smash theme would be a dream come true for me.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ah, what the hell, might as well throw my hat in the ring with this top 5 newcomers thing...
1. King K. Rool
2. Geno
3. Dixie Kong
4. Isaac (Golden Sun)
5. Bandana Dee
These five have all historically been very highly requested within the Smash community and/or have a previous history with Sakurai, and considering this game seems to be Sakurai's epic swan song and ultimate contribution to the franchise, I 100% expect most, if not all of our newcomers to be fanservice picks like Ridley and, to a lesser extent, Daisy. These characters all fit that bill very nicely.
View attachment 148120

Fun fact : When G&W grabs a character, it displays the character's stock icon instead of his 3D model
(New stock icons are LIT)
As an avid Game & Watch player, I absolutely love this change. And I agree, the new simplistic stock icons look really nice in my book.

D

Deleted member

As much as I would like Metal Mario for how janky he would be, we did see a metal box at one point. I don't remember when exactly, but it was before the cosplay matches and no one hit it.
We did?
Huh. I wonder what's with the gold Pikachu, then.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
"Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Long Lost Fighters" segment coming up on Nintendo's channel. Might be a good segment to catch

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I honestly think the pool of possible Echo Characters is a lot smaller than what we might think. EF's are clones which we've always had, but in this case they're minimal effort/fewest changes possible types of clones.

Dixie Kong for example I think has a better chance of making it in as a unique character (or semi-clone at least) than getting added as an EF. She lacks a tail which means she needs a new neutral jab, and her whole thing is using her hair which I don't think Sakurai would want to exclude by making her a one-to-one Diddy clone with minor stat differences.

I actually like the idea of Metal Mario as an EF, and Octolings are probably fair game as many have brought up. Others I could see would be Ms. Pac-Man, Jeanne and Ken.

Last edited:
Do you guys think this will be the last Smash game? Honestly, I doubt it.
Honestly, yes, I think it will be the last. Thematically, it really feels like one final nostaligic reunion before everyone goes their seperate ways, and I really don't see how they could top this.

But honestly? That's fine with me, because if this is the last game, it looks like they're going out with a bang.

We're missing a bunch of items at the moment. Including pokeballs and ATs.

Most likely, not everything is in the current footage or just not ready. There are probably more pokemon, ATs, and items left to show that just didnt have time to be showcased/couldnt at the time. So I wouldnt say it will tie to a gen 7 pokemon just yet
:061:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I may as well give out my Newcomer predictions as well.

Bandana Dee: People want him, and Kirby seriously needs another Rep
Rex: Sakurai has stated he loves Xenoblade and People REALLY want Him
Steve: Ok hear me out for a second, Sakurai has said he'd a Minecraft fan, Nintendo and Mojang have worked together before, and they'll attract a bigger audience if Steve is in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom