• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Competitive play Summary?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
What is the general opinion from the competitive scene about Smash Ultimate so far?

Is it generally thought to be better than Smash 4? Anywhere near as good as Melee? What are the main concerns?

What do people like Mew2King say so far?

Which characters look to be top tier so far?

(I tried searching through the forum, but couldn’t anything easy to follow).

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
The game isn't even out yet. Anything anyone has seen so far can change in a heart beat.
It won’t though.
Only a few months from release, they’re not changing any basic functionality.

Disappointed no one replied. It’s so hard finding any info on this since every competitive play thread is just an argument about Melee.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Basically what TheTrueBrawler TheTrueBrawler said. If they developed the game in this short of a timespan (what's it been since the last balance patch? Two years?) anything can change.
M2K and 0 have both posted their thoughts on their youtube channels.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Mew2King likes it, Armada likes it. Most people seem pretty happy with it. Melee die-hards are going to keep playing Melee even if they pick up Ultimate as well. At the end of the day, Melee's competitive scene is built on game-engine exploits, and there will never be another Smash game quite like it as a result of that. That said, Ultimate has made some changes to it's engine to be more in-tune with the spirit of Melee, such as being able to cancel dash with any attack. That wasn't possible in Melee, but it provides similar options to wavedashing in that it makes movement itself less of a commitment. There's lower landing lag overall, lower than L-Cancelled melee moves in many scenarios. So the overall feel of the game is somewhere between S4 and Melee, but the controls and mechanics have been heavily simplified. Which even most melee players will admit is a positive thing.

Top tiers look like Pikachu, Bayonetta and maybe Pokemon Trainer, but Bayonetta is likely to receive significant nerfs before release. I also wouldn't be surprised if Captain Falcon is extremely good, if Ganondorf is fast-ish, then Falcon is going to be lightning. Ryu looks good, Cloud is still good but has definitely been nerfed. Ike's been buffed maybe just enough to break into high tier. Snake will probably be pretty good.

I could see Wolf being really good, but most people's impression of Fox is that he's awful here. It's not impossible for the spacies to be far apart on the tier list (look at Fox v Falco in SSB4), but I'm not sure yet.

Main concerns seem to be regarding the amount of hit-stun and the weird knockback physics.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Mew2King likes it, Armada likes it. Most people seem pretty happy with it. Melee die-hards are going to keep playing Melee even if they pick up Ultimate as well. At the end of the day, Melee's competitive scene is built on game-engine exploits, and there will never be another Smash game quite like it as a result of that. That said, Ultimate has made some changes to it's engine to be more in-tune with the spirit of Melee, such as being able to cancel dash with any attack. That wasn't possible in Melee, but it provides similar options to wavedashing in that it makes movement itself less of a commitment. There's lower landing lag overall, lower than L-Cancelled melee moves in many scenarios. So the overall feel of the game is somewhere between S4 and Melee, but the controls and mechanics have been heavily simplified. Which even most melee players will admit is a positive thing.

Top tiers look like Pikachu, Bayonetta and maybe Pokemon Trainer, but Bayonetta is likely to receive significant nerfs before release. I also wouldn't be surprised if Captain Falcon is extremely good, if Ganondorf is fast-ish, then Falcon is going to be lightning. Ryu looks good, Cloud is still good but has definitely been nerfed. Ike's been buffed maybe just enough to break into high tier. Snake will probably be pretty good.

I could see Wolf being really good, but most people's impression of Fox is that he's awful here. It's not impossible for the spacies to be far apart on the tier list (look at Fox v Falco in SSB4), but I'm not sure yet.

Main concerns seem to be regarding the amount of hit-stun and the weird knockback physics.
You’re a legend.

Top Bottom