• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash through the years

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
SSB
THINGS THEY DID RIGHT
Create an awesome yet unique 2d fighter
teching
l-canceling

THINGS THEY DID WRONG
Grabs are too strong
Some of the levels are way too big
Poor recoveries for some characters
easy to get caught in your shield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSBM
THINGS THEY DID RIGHT
Added more characters
Wavedashing
L-canceling
Spot dodge/air dodge
More special moves
More throws
Wall jumps
Powershielding
More levels and scaled down previously large levels
Faster play overall
More items

THINGS THEY DID WRONG
Too many clones
Spikes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSBB
THINGS THEY DID RIGHT
More characters
More levels
online play
level editor
more items

THINGS THEY DID WRONG
Removed characters
Too many levels with 3rd party interferences of some sort
Random tripping
All air grapples auto grab the ledge
Too easy to grab ledge in general
Online play lacked a ranking system and you wouldn’t know who youre playing and they could be replaced with computers. Also super laggy
Level editor didn’t have enough options
Slower gameplay over all
No wavedash
No l –cancels
Super glitchy

SSB4
Who knows but it will probably suck even more than brawl cause it wont be like melee or brawl

WHAT THEY SHOULD DO
Have the melee physics system(so you can wavedash, l-cancel and everything else that makes melee a skillful competitive game)
Bring back all the characters that were removed in brawl
Add all the characters from brawl (with balance changes..)
Add more characters
Better level editor
Online system that has ladder ranking system and you know who you are playing. And it shouldn’t be so laggy
Add 1 more smash (ex. A+B = special smash get rid of the smash ball concept)
more specials or regular moves (A+B+direction)
more ledge get up options (ledge B move get up)
more pummel options when you grab someone (such as a B option)
More tech options such as a ground tech jump
Everyone should be able to wall jump (why not all characters can wall tech jump so let them do it normally)
Natural canceling from neutral to tilt as well as between tilts
Perhaps An air block of sorts even if it covered just one or two directions at a time
Perhaps air throws
A shield burst like that in guilty gear (this would result in loss of shield temporarily)
Give DK a down +B in the air and other various character changes

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
oh for Brawl i liked the ability to set different moves to the c-stick that was another thing they did right

NNID
dansalvato
You listed "too many clones" for SSBM and then "removed characters" for SSBB. They removed clones. Also, I would put "online play" in things they did wrong.

Anyway, I only skimmed most of this, and I don't like it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What's wrong with Melee spikes? If they did anything wrong concerning them, it's that they nerfed them too much with meteors. So many characters would be significantly better if their spikes were non-meteors (like Marth's and Falco's): Mario's fair, Yoshi's fair, Ness's dair, Kirby's dair, DK's fair, Samus's dair, etc. Even if they wanted to add meteors it would work fine, but they should apply them to spikes equally, and making it a little harder to meteor wouldn't have hurt (like you have to wait longer before meteor-cancelling).

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
But Bones, having to wait longer to meteor cancel some moves would make it obsolete (like Ganon's dair).

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm just not fond of the idea that if you land a spike (most of which are VERY difficult and risky to use off stage + survive) that your opponent can meteor cancel it and kill you. I guess I just love jumping off and spiking with Mario, but it just gets meteored and I get edge guarded. Most characters don't need to meteor cancel spikes immediately to survive anyway, plus % makes a big difference.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I love it when people who know nothing about the game have the balls to say what's "bad" about it as if they were in a position to judge. Grabs are too strong in 64? Really? Do you have any reason at all for saying that? Are you even going to try to justify it? Have you played enough 64 to know for a fact that it would be better if attacks dealt less damage to shields?

*Sigh*

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I think I might like Final Smashes running on a super meter, like in other fighting games, instead of an item slow chars will prolly never get.

Also, remove the ability to turn off Final Smashes in such a format :trollface:.

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
i actually like spikes . but i feel like most ppl dont take kindly to them. i like all the clone characters but wish they had gotten more creative i mean gdorf could have had any number of moves from any of the zelda games . marios cape shoulda been gdorfs move. reflecting stuff like in Zelda OoT.

D

Deleted member

biggest problem of ssb64 is that falcon is a ******

NNID
dansalvato
Melee43vr, I don't think you know enough about Smash metagame to have any serious input. You're all over the place. You're mixing together game features, mechanics, and specific character suggestions without any real direction. Making suggestions for Smash 4 is ridiculous because all three Smash games are astoundingly different from each other, and saying it should have Melee mechanics, for example, emphasizes a bias toward Melee. Smash 4 could be as different as the first three games were from each other.

Anyway, it's hard to say what's "right" and "wrong" with each game because they are all valid fighting games that are played in radically different ways. Listing what each game got "right" is essentially comparing the quality of the games to each other, which is nonsense. It makes much more sense to ask: How could this game have been better?

I can't say that Melee did anything WRONG because I don't look at certain aspects of the game and say, "This is stupid." It really comes down to opinion, though. I would have liked to see frame-cancelling power shields (parrying) and more in-depth and difficult ledge occupancy (which P:M will have).

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I think I might like Final Smashes running on a super meter, like in other fighting games, instead of an item slow chars will prolly never get.

Also, remove the ability to turn off Final Smashes in such a format :trollface:.
:yourdoingitwrong:

rhan

Smash Hero
You forgot to add that there was too much hit stun in SSB and too little hit stun in SSBB in the "what they did wrong" section.

melee43vr

Smash Rookie
my direction is simple i want a fast paced skillfull and competitive smash game. the best way to get that is combine the best mechanics and game features they have come up with as well as making improvements on characters as needed.

it sounds like smash 4 will be different than the first three i read an article that i will try to find for you where sakurai says he doesnt want the new smash to be an extension of melee or brawl and he goes on to say he doesnt want to just add more levels and characters.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You forgot to add that there was too much hit stun in SSB and too little hit stun in SSBB in the "what they did wrong" section.
You're a ****ing idiot, man. Please, people, I'm fine with you disliking the amount of hitstun in SSB, but you say these things like they're objective facts. Present an argument as to why hitstun makes the game worse or GTFO.

NNID
dansalvato
my direction is simple i want a fast paced skillfull and competitive smash game. the best way to get that is combine the best mechanics and game features they have come up with as well as making improvements on characters as needed.
Sounds like you'll enjoy Project:M. Still, "best" is subjective depending on the experience you're looking for.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
You're a ****ing idiot, man. Please, people, I'm fine with you disliking the amount of hitstun in SSB, but you say these things like they're objective facts. Present an argument as to why hitstun makes the game worse or GTFO.
I'm not rhan so I don't know. but I don't believe he said the game was worse, or possibly even meant that in what he stated.
Different aspects of each game was made as a way to make the play style and competitive play different for each game. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are worse, by just stating differences of each we can analyze and see how what some people see as "flaws" actually improve the metagame of each.
So, maybe there are some problems with each, actually, there definitely are problems with each game. I disagree quite highly with the list in general but there are maybe 1 or 2 things I can slightly agree on. Maybe this should be slightly reconsidered as how the aspects of each game differ instead of saying what is blatantly wrong with each individually? Just a thought though.

Life

Smash Hero
At risk of starting a flame war:

Melee would have been better without l-canceling. Instead, the characters should have had their l-canceled lag by default. Sakurai was correct in attempting this in Brawl--he just implemented it badly.

Discuss.

NNID
dansalvato
At risk of starting a flame war:

Melee would have been better without l-canceling. Instead, the characters should have had their l-canceled lag by default. Sakurai was correct in attempting this in Brawl--he just implemented it badly.

Discuss.
I understand your reasoning behind this. It's kind of hard to judge something like that, because it really just comes down to how much technical skill you'd like to implement into the game. There are many things that could be done automatically in many fighting games. As for l-cancelling, I think it's a reasonable addition because it's not always a mindless task. If I hit someone's shield, the l-cancel can have different timing than if I whiff or hit directly. It's something I sometimes have to process and have the ability to mess up. In my opinion, if it's challenging enough to warrant an occasional screw-up, then it's a fine addition to the game.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm not rhan so I don't know. but I don't believe he said the game was worse, or possibly even meant that in what he stated.
Different aspects of each game was made as a way to make the play style and competitive play different for each game. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are worse, by just stating differences of each we can analyze and see how what some people see as "flaws" actually improve the metagame of each.
So, maybe there are some problems with each, actually, there definitely are problems with each game. I disagree quite highly with the list in general but there are maybe 1 or 2 things I can slightly agree on. Maybe this should be slightly reconsidered as how the aspects of each game differ instead of saying what is blatantly wrong with each individually? Just a thought though.
No, I don't think there's anything wrong with someone saying "I think melee is better than 64." (I'd disagree, but it'd be a valid position). Saying "64 has too much hitstun" is stupid 'cause he's obviously just saying it because he's used to melee and doesn't like the idea of being comboed.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Let haters hate on which ever smash they want. I personally liked all 3 and know full well of their flaws. Btw melee43vr, please refrain from double posting and just edit your post. If I don't tell you someone else will.

rhan

Smash Hero
Why do I need to give reasoning behind my opinion again?

I play SSB cuz it's hilarious on how broken it can be when you get a single hit off.
I play SSBM cuz it's super competitive and ****'s always different.
I played SSBB cuz...

andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Yeah.

Pi

Smash Hero
He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance. He also felt it would be wrong to just improve the visuals. This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.
This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.
greater performance would be wrong.

Zzzz .

Top Bottom