• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Speculation: The Legend of Zelda

Zelda Legend Speculation.jpg

Note: These articles are more for discussion purposes before E3. They'll be short, sweet, and to the point for a brief recap and looking into possible characters/stages for each series in Smash Bros. These also go by a "Don't expect too much" philosophy. Please remember to be civil in the comments discussion.

The Legend of Zelda series is one of the biggest series that Nintendo owns. Not quite as sizable as Mario and Pokemon, but, still reasonably large. With Super Smash Bros., Zelda had one character (Link) and one stage; the same as most other series. Super Smash Bros. Melee gave the series four new characters (Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Young Link) and two stages. While the total number of characters stayed the same in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Young Link was replaced with Toon Link, two stages were added and Temple made its return. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U had seven stages across both of the games, and while no new characters were added, Sheik gained her own character slot.

So, what can we expect this time?

Returning Characters

If anyone gets a cut, it's Toon Link, and even that's a big doubt. All four main Zelda characters will likely return in some fashion.

New Characters

Toon Ganondorf and Zelda get thrown around as common ideas, and they're not implausible - especially Toon Zelda since she's been in more games. Aside from that, the champions from Breath of the Wild are definitely a contender - it's is now the most popular Zelda game, and any other Zelda character isn't exactly an "Essential" character anyways.

It's worth noting that, like Pokemon, Zelda has very few major reoccurring characters. Impa might have a chance, due to her history with the series (which dates back to the original Legend of Zelda's instruction manual) and her playable appearance in Hyrule Warriors, which Nintendo has been giving a strong marketing push, but we best not get our hopes up.

Returning Stages

Temple from Melee is like, probably everyone's number one guess for past stages. Beyond that, it's honestly hard to say - they'll likely try to spread it out through as many games as possible, so bets are more on them picking stages for each game. That said, I don't see Gerudo Valley making a return.

New Stages

A Breath of the Wild stage definitely seems likely, since we already know this game is acknowledging that game. Beyond that, maybe something from A Link to the Past or A Link Between Worlds.

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on the
Zelda franchise? What Zelda related content would you like to see in Smash for Switch? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

To be honest? I think we'll see more character updates rather than new characters. Link's probably gonna be updated to have a BoTW-eque movest, Zelda's gonna have her new uniform and lose any dress-related attacks, Ganon will just dress himself up in Captain Falcon's tights because he's finally accepted who he really is...
As for new characters, I honestly doubt we'll get anyone new from BoTW, or anyone new at all, considering how Brawl's only addition was Toon Link but cutting Young Link, and Sm4sh just splitting Zelda and Shiek. Midna's the gal I personally want in if we do get any new characters, since she could sound less clone-ish compared to the toons. Floating characters made for Smash are not new at all. See Mewtwo, for example.

LoZ is always lacking positive potential characters. Had Skull Kid been included, then maybe secondary protagonists/antagonists could of been included later like Midna and Ghirahim. Personally, my top pick will always be Impa with a duel Hyruld Warriors/Skyward Sword influence. Like Shiek’s nimbleness with half of Ike’s power.

If Zelda gets revamped to better fit a BoTW model with dufferent moves and specials; then I am totally open to Toon Zelda getting in and adopting the original Zelda moveset. As bad as it is, I’m still a fan of it.

My most wanted and Skull Kid, and I'd love to have him in. I'm hoping the timing of Majora's Mask 3D and Hyrule Warriors Legends and his popularity in general is enough to make him a consideration.

There are so many potential Zelda newcomers I would get hyped for. Skull Kid, Tingle, any of the Champions (though I personally want Mipha more than the others)... I don’t expect any of them, because Sakurai seems to have something against Zelda’s one-off characters, but I would be more than happy with almost anyone.

One character I reaaaally don’t want to see is Toon Zelda. It, to me, would feel like a slap in the face to wait this long for a new character from the series, and then be rewarded with... a second version of Zelda. There are so many unique characters to chose from in this franchise, and it would make me a little annoyed if the final cast was just Link, Link 2, Zelda, Zelda 2, and Ganondorf (who took a ton of martial arts classes and started jogging in the morning)

If Zelda gets revamped to better fit a BoTW model with dufferent moves and specials; then I am totally open to Toon Zelda getting in and adopting the original Zelda moveset. As bad as it is, I’m still a fan of it.
I am actually fond of this, considering that Toon Zelda mainly utilized the phantom in the Hyrule Warrior series. However, I hope the magic effects extend far beyond her, as she would be just SSB4 Zelda with less range if that doesn't happen.

I feel it's almost sad that for 17 years we have disliked Ganon's moveset. Dr Mario having a moveset similar to Mario's makes sense. Ganon's Falcon clone moveset never felt right. I think the only way Ganon gets a new moveset is if they an F-Zero character and that character just gets Ganons moveset. But Ganon's moveset is more likely to stay untouched compared to both Link and Zelda. I like the Zelda concept of using Farore's Wind, Naryu's Love and Din's Fire. But Zelda at the very least if she's going to be completely separate from Sheik, she deserves a much better down B move.
It'll be interesting to see what they do with Link's moveset. It could just get a graphical overhaul. As far as new characters my guess would be Impa. A Sheik semi-clone could actually be a really fun character if that were to be the direction they would take Impa. Impa would also add another female character to the roster which Nintendo was trying to do with Sm4sh, thus Lucina's presence over Chrom.
I don't see a toon zelda or return of young link being likely. They very well could add no new LoZ characters but I do expect some kind of tweaks to Link and Zelda at least, and that alone is prob good enough. Neither character is OP, so I wouldn't expect any massive nerf but instead just a change. Any change would likely make Zelda a better character tbh.

I have given it a lot of thought and I think she would be lame unless they could make her cool but I think the most viable new Zelda character in Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch would be Impa. I believe she is one of the 3 main characters from the Triforce and she is almost in every Zelda entry.

The Champions seem more like Assist atrophy material or perhaps if they changed Link or Zelda’s Final Smash. Having them as a character like how Injustice 2 has the TMNT is interesting but do they actually warrant a character slot? I guess we will have to see.

Personally, I’m excited to see what Zelda content get some included like songs, trophies, ATs, etc. Besides BoTW, what other Zelda games can be represented? Maybe aLBTW or if the team can secure rights to include content from HW. In that case, perhaps Lana is a potential candidate though she’s like Geno - technically owned by another company though apart of a 1st party franchise.

I feel in terms of standing out, the Zelda series seems perpetually fixated on Ocarina of Time... at least until Smash 4 separated Zelda and Sheik on the roster... Ganondorf was originally a slower and more powerful Falcon, and has not been given the chance to be made that much more distinguishable outside of adapting Falcon's moveset to his character.

as much as i want the likes of Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symponia as a third party guest... if the team decided to bring in WindWaker Ganondorf with his Dual Katana fighting style, I'd be willing to put up with it.

hell, if anyone needs a serious facelift, it's Link and Zelda... SHE is perfectly capable of wielding a sword (even if Ganon DID possess her in that game) and a bow (it does not have to be the Light Bow)... and HE has gained a few more weapons that players grow rather fond of... such as the elemental arrows, a hammer, and a few magic rods. that's not even going into BotW Link, whose mastery of several weapons can easily make him a Weapon Master fighter who could make a use out of every weapon possible in a very unpredictable moveset....... if the smash developers had the stones to consider it...

Last edited:
What I want for the Zelda series in Smash is for them to take the main trio (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf) and update them appearance and moveset wise. I subscribe to the mindset that they need to first fix what is already in the game before adding anything new, otherwise you get what we got in Smash 4 where half the cast of character are unviable because they have too many bad things to them that were either overlooked or flat out ignored.

If I had to pick one Zelda character I want added, it would be Pig Ganon. He's the OG Zelda villain that has been in more games than Ganondorf, but we instead got a crusty Falcon clone for a Zelda villain. He'd have an orignial moveset based around his trident, throwing fireballs and bats...it'd be dope.

My pick for a stage would be one based on either BOTW Hyrule castle that perhaps goes back and forth between it's 100 years ago and present day ruin states OR a stage based on the divine beasts with the towers as a the central hub (similar to stages like SKyloft and Delfino) that carries you to the 4 locations. It would e especially nice if the hazards were able to be toggled on and off so they can go crazy with the hazards for casual play but still give the option to play on an interesting layout.

I'm really hoping Toon Link is replaced with a new young Link, and I'm hoping it's A Link Between Worlds Link in particular. It'd be nice to have that classic look in contrast to Adult Link's BotW look.

Top Bottom