• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Speculation: Mii's

mii franchise.jpg

Note: These articles are more for discussion purposes before E3. They'll be short, sweet, and to the point for a brief recap and looking into possible characters/stages for each series in Smash Bros. These also go by a "Don't expect too much" philosophy. Please remember to be civil in the comments discussion.

The Mii's as a universe have technically been around since Super Smash Bros. Brawl as online avatars, but really, it's Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U where they particularly got to shine, with three Mii Fighter types.

Returning Characters

If the Miis return, the question is if they'll return with their existing movesets or different ones. It's hard to say given how little we know about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch right now, especially due to the added complication of the Switch not having Miis, but what we can say is this: Miis are widely known.

New Characters

If there's a "New Character" it'll probably be in the form of new Mii Fighter types instead of a brand new character. The only other character I can really think of is Dark Emperor, and that was after a while of searching. It would be amusing, but highly unlikely.

Returning Stages

Find Mii, Pilotwings, Tomodachi Life, and Wuhu Island seem the most likely to return. Of all of these stages, Wuhu Island and Tomodachi Life feel the most likely to return.

New Stages

If we have a new Mii stage, it'll be based on the newer Mii games such as Miitopia; There haven't been too many new Mii-focused games (yet).

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on the Mii franchise? What Mii related content would you like to see in Smash for Switch? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

D
Tbh when smash 4 first came out, ill admit, it was cool playing as a mii, but now they just seem to be a waste of a space on the CSS...

It's a bit of a stretch to say the Miis aren't on the Switch. They're there, just not as featured as before. I think Miis are more dependent on the fate of custom moves when it comes to Smash Switch.

If Custom Moves return in any fashion, they're guaranteed.

If there's a decision to decrease or otherwise mostly remove them. That's when it gets rather dicey. The biggest reason I could see the miis being dropped if they decide that absolutely everything about custom moves must be dropped no matter what it is. That does also come with the issue of what do you do with Palutena. But that's a different issue. Though there are a couple of workaround ideas without cutting them completely.

1. The Miis are the only characters with Custom Moves. The biggest compromise option. Custom Moves largely removed, but the Miis keep what made them customizable and unique. They'd remain out competitively and likely with randoms online too. But the younger and/or more young at heart players can still enjoy making all those miis to play as. Just about everyone's happy except anybody who insists the Miis should never return.

2. The Miis have a default moveset whether they're still the 3 fighters or just one of the fighters (Which I think would just be the Brawler if they cut 2 out of the 3 Miis). This unfortunately removes all the move customization but hey, they'd still be there and maybe even actually tournament viable with less variables to consider.

3. Cut the Mii Fighters, but have one Mii character that's essentially a newcomer that borrows from many Mii games. Like say Tomodachi Quest, and the many Wii Series of games. I don't think they put so much effort into something like that necessarily. But if they want to more accurately represent the history of Miis. It's an option.

I do think the Miis are more likely to return then not myself. I just find it hard to believe they'd remove a character that allows people to have close-enough versions of characters that don't quite make the cut and/or characters that are just impossible (Real life people, non-video game characters (Especially when it comes to Anime now that Miis have more hair colors then they used to), etc.). You make more people happy that way even if Miis are just a consolation prize for many that may not be enough for alot. But for those with impossible dreams, they'll take what I can get.

I myself, my most wanted Newcomer is Tails. While I somewhat have some optimism that Tails has a chance at DLC in Smash Switch. I'm happy enough that he got recognition as a costume for the Mii Gunner. It's never going to be exactly Tails, but back in Smash 4 when I knew he was a long shot anyway. It was good enough. And I'm sure there's gotta be some that feel the same way for many of the other things you could do with the Miis and an underestimated pro of having the Miis in Smash in making more people happy then not.

Assuming a certain rumor being talked is true that there's no cuts/hardly any cuts the Miis should still stick around. Still, custom moves are going to be a question. And even if we see them at E3 when say they announce so many returning characters possibly. They may not answer right away whether all their moves will return as is. So it'll be interesting. But I certainly hope they just don't decide to cut them out entirely. Miis aren't the most robust custom character out there, but having one is better then none at all personally.

Unlike what the article says, the Switch does have Miis... but it is easier to forget that as so little software uses them (there haven’t been any non-ported games that directly use Miis, have there?) and the Mii Maker is hidden in the system settings, but at least they do cameo in every piece of software that uses the user icons.

You can’t really combine the Mii Fighters with other Mii based properties, as the game makes it clear that the Mii Fighters are exclusive to Smash, rather than being used to represent Miis’ own games. That said, we’ll likely see something like stages, etc. from the Wii U and 3DS era based around them.

Anyway, though, despite their apparent lack of use on the Switch, their return makes sense for a few reasons, one of them being their ability to cover tons of requests that obviously won’t make it into Smash but can be approximated, another being their being good for selling DLC costumes. Personally, I would like to see some tweaks (standardized sizes selectable in game, for example, especially as the sizes were poorly balanced in Smash 4 as large Miis got hardly any power to compensate for their reduced speed) but their general idea from 4 works fine, I think.

Plus, the Switch’s addition of being able to select from 100 colors for a lot of Mii parts (such as the hair, for brightly colored dyed hair) would make for much easier creation of a lot of characters this time, too.

Im thinking the Miis aren't going anywhere. They may not receive as much attention as they did in the last Smash title, but I would be genuinely surprised if they cut the closest thing Smash will ever have to a custom character creator. On top of that, those Mii Costumes will continue to be a tantalizing option for DLC.

I would love if the miis came back. I was absolutely shocked when you couldn't use them online. I just don't understand why. If the faces were a problem, then just turn off downloading the data for the faces so the miis just use the default face in random battles (but turning it on for when you play with friends would be nice).

I don't care about miis as a character at all, but in smash they can pretty much do whatever they want with Miis because they are blank slate characters. Thus, their movesets are really cool and flashy. I just never got the chance to practice with them to find out if I could possibly main them or not. They are fun in the little amount I have used them. Bigger miis could use a slightly bigger bonus though. I do like the idea of a Mage Mii being based on traps since gunner is more direct.

I would love if the miis came back. I was absolutely shocked when you couldn't use them online. I just don't understand why. If the faces were a problem, then just turn off downloading the data for the faces so the miis just use the default face in random battles (but turning it on for when you play with friends would be nice).

I don't care about miis as a character at all, but in smash they can pretty much do whatever they want with Miis because they are blank slate characters. Thus, their movesets are really cool and flashy. I just never got the chance to practice with them to find out if I could possibly main them or not. They are fun in the little amount I have used them. Bigger miis could use a slightly bigger bonus though. I do like the idea of a Mage Mii being based on traps since gunner is more direct.
I’m pretty sure they’re not allowed on With Anyone online due to the fact that they’re inherently customization based, given that customs in general aren’t allowed online. Some of the Regular Tournaments on Wii U that allowed customs also allowed Miis.

Note: These articles are more for discussion purposes before E3. They'll be short, sweet, and to the point for a brief recap and looking into possible characters/stages for each series in Smash Bros. These also go by a "Don't expect too much" philosophy. Please remember to be civil in the comments discussion.

The Mii's as a universe have technically been around since Super Smash Bros. Brawl as online avatars, but really, it's Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U where they particularly got to shine, with three Mii Fighter types.

Returning Characters

If the Miis return, the question is if they'll return with their existing movesets or different ones. It's hard to say given how little we know about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch right now, especially due to the added complication of the Switch not having Miis, but what we can say is this: Miis are widely known.

New Characters

If there's a "New Character" it'll probably be in the form of new Mii Fighter types instead of a brand new character. The only other character I can really think of is Dark Emperor, and that was after a while of searching. It would be amusing, but highly unlikely.

Returning Stages

Find Mii, Pilotwings, Tomodachi Life, and Wuhu Island seem the most likely to return. Of all of these stages, Wuhu Island and Tomodachi Life feel the most likely to return.

New Stages

If we have a new Mii stage, it'll be based on the newer Mii games such as Miitopia; There haven't been too many new Mii-focused games (yet).

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on the Mii franchise? What Mii related content would you like to see in Smash for Switch? Let us know in the comments below!
I really enjoy the Miis, soecially the mii brawler. I would get upset if they dont come back.

I want Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii. They are cats, dogs, and bunnies that happen to be swordfighters with magical abilities.

Meh, I honestly don’t want them back.

They were a blast at first but after a while, they just feel like a waste, especially since there’s plenty of real characters you should play as.

Still, it might be cool they used the old idea of giving them movesets of the official characters that you mix & match for devastating combinations, but that would be sobbroken lol.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see the Miis have default weight and size. The Mii body is fairly generic so they could just use the face of a Mii and slap it on gunner/sword/brawler. That would eliminate the whole size and weight difference that affected use of Miis in Sm4sh tournies.
All of the Mii moves in Sm4sh were kinda random copy and paste from other movesets and I don't think that's a a bad thing. Maybe you like swords but don't care about Fire Emblem and you can play as yourself with a sword. That's pretty tempting and there doesn't have to be a lot of effort put into the Mii moves. They don't have to be unique and their character design is half taken care of already with the Mii creation.
As far as other Mii types I'm all for it. It won't take a lot of resources and adds another character to the roster. Maybe not just Mii Mage but Mii Archer, Miirio Bros, Mii Fit Trainer, Miiga Man, Chun Mii from Street Fighter. I say throw 'em all in there. The Miis as a fighter were pretty underutilized in Sm4sh but they did create a market for cosmetic DLC. I kinda think it's win win to give them a little more attention in the next Smash installation.

I’m pretty sure they’re not allowed on With Anyone online due to the fact that they’re inherently customization based, given that customs in general aren’t allowed online. Some of the Regular Tournaments on Wii U that allowed customs also allowed Miis.
I'm not even talking about tournaments since I highly doubt I'll be able to make it to any large tournament. I won't even get into the nonsense about customizable sizes and their moves since that can be a heated topic that will never end.

I'm just talking about with random players online. You can't even use them in For Fun. So I would have to force some friends to play against my miis whenever I see them instead of just getting a feel for them in For Glory. Not everyone wants to fight the same character over and over, especially if it's not a character you're amazing at.

I'm not even talking about tournaments since I highly doubt I'll be able to make it to any large tournament. I won't even get into the nonsense about customizable sizes and their moves since that can be a heated topic that will never end.

I'm just talking about with random players online. You can't even use them in For Fun. So I would have to force some friends to play against my miis whenever I see them instead of just getting a feel for them in For Glory. Not everyone wants to fight the same character over and over, especially if it's not a character you're amazing at.
By "Regular Tournaments," I don't mean actual tournaments that people organized, I mean the automatically generated tournaments in the Wii U's Tournament Mode; some of those supported both customs and Miis.
Of course, that mode died when Miiverse died, so yeah, it would be nice to have them be usable on With Anyone.

Top Bottom