• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Speculation: Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Speculation.jpg

Note: These articles are more for discussion purposes before E3. They'll be short, sweet, and to the point for a brief recap and looking into possible characters/stages for each series in Smash Bros. These also go by a "Don't expect too much" philosophy. Please remember to be civil in the comments discussion.

Kid Icarus is interesting because, thanks to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it received a revival in the form of Kid Icarus Uprising. In Brawl, Pit made his debut alongside one stage. In Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, Kid Icarus had a grand total of three stages along with two new characters, Dark Pit and Palutena, added to the roster.

So, how about this time?

Returning Characters

Low chance that Pit gets cut. Palutena is probably going to return with him, too. Seeing how the developers like to bring back as many characters as possible, Dark Pit is definitely a possibility, but it'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

New Characters

A new character already seems pretty unlikely, and it's better to bank on all of the current characters returning, but Phosphora and Magnus seem like the most likely if we get anyone else. Hades is pretty big and thus would have to be scaled down, but, it's not impossible.

Returning Stages

Skyworld. Palutena's Temple returning depends on if 8 player Smash makes a return.

New Stages

Probably a memorable moment from Kid Icarus Uprising, if nothing else.

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on the Kid Icarus franchise? What Kid Icarus related content would you like to see in Smash for Switch? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Kid Icarus Uprising provides a lot of options for Pit and his literal clone, Dark Pit. unfortunately, Dark Pit (and hell, you could include Pit from Uprising, too) ended up a seriously wasted opportunity to be distinctive for several reasons, and what was actually changed were kind of inaccurate... and as someone who played Uprising kinda obsessively then, I noticed the issues right away, and considering Sakurai was the guy in charge of Uprising, you would think he'd at least help his team maintain accuracy, time crunch be damned.

for sake of context, I cleared Uprising's 9.0 difficulty using a painstakingly crafted Flintlock [Sniping] Staff and no Three Sacred Treasures. I've used about every type of weapon and I have my favorites, but i at least know about everything Uprising had to provide.

first off, Dark Pit's signature weapon is his self-named staff, which was instead made into his Final Smash as a derivative to Zelda/Sheik's Light Arrow. while it's true that Dark used the Silver Bow to compare to Pit's Palutena Bow, Smash's verson has him fire arrows from the Darkness Bow... which slightly exaggerated how little the arrows bent (the Pisces Bow was worse, but packed the most powerful charge shot of any Bow). the Silver Bow in Uprising had good range and homing, but its shots were strongest when fired up close, getting weaker the further it traveled, which would have suited him just fine with a little tweaking to how the Special attack worked in Smash.

secondly, while it's fair enough to have Dark use different variants of the weapons Pit was using, it would have done much better for both of them if ALL of Uprising's weapons were a bit further explored for customs. Even if you were to limit it to the same class of weapons (Bow, Arm, and Orbitars) there's several different ones that would either produce drastically different effects or at least be more appropriate for the custom in question... the Upperdash/Electroshock Arm's variants, for instance, which has either an armored attack triggered up close or a boosted rush that kept going even if it hits, could easily have been replaced by the Crusher Arm/End-All Arm and the Compact Arm/Taurus Arm, respectively, for Pit/Dark.

Finally, both Angels already have Super Attacks in Uprising, specifically during Air Battles. while it's justified for Pit to use the Three Sacred Treasures, its special attack was specifically the Bow's... and bear in mind that Dark Pit also used the Bow's Special Attack during his boss battle in Uprising's chapter 6, which lit up an area before bombarding it with a ton of arrows, dealing multiple hits if you were caught in that area. using the Staff's Special Attack to finish it would have looked much more appropriate for Dark.

to say I have a LOT to rant about on the Kid Icarus characters, Dark Pit in particular, would be an understatement. Keep in mind that everything I stated above would primarily relate to him being made into a Semi-Clone. Decloning him would be a very different endeavor since Smash 4, even if you counted the Ore Club item, still had 5 other weapon categories unused from Uprising. Developing Dark Pit's moveset into that of a Weapon Master would be a very entertaining thing to try out, especially if BotW Link fails to become one.

Last edited:
I feel like all three characters will come back, with Viridi joining them over the two assist trophies (they weren’t too important to the overall game, especially compared to Viridi and the unfortunately 98% dead Hades). Phosphora is only seem twice (once as a boss and a quick cameo after Pit broke into Palutena’s Temple), and while Magnus does a bit more, he’s still not as big of a player as Hades and Viridi (Medusa aswell).

Both Uprising stages and Skyworld should come back, with another Uprising stage joining the ranks (anything new is acceptable), and both Palutena’s Temple and the new stage have guidances for every character or situation for Pit, Palutena, and Viridi to discuss upon like a group of bffs. Dark Pit gets nothing cause he’s edgy.

:4pit::4darkpit:- they should keep their moveset exactly how it is right now, but buff their power up a bit and give the Power of Flight super armor or invincibility. Their customs should be different weapons from Uprising (like Pit using the Hedgehod Claws or Pittoo using an EZ Cannon)

:4palutena:- buff her up and make her more of a waifu than she already is

Viridi- Make her use everything that relates to the Nature she loves so much (including weapons and minions)

I want Pit and Palutena to return, but I'd replace Dark Pit with Medusa.

I know Hades is the more popular KI villain, but I think Medusa deserves that spot more by virtue of being a "Legacy" villain (since she was the main villain in the original NES game), not to mention that it would make the series' representation more balanced, like the Zelda characters (the hero, the heroine and the villain).

That and I think she's more interesting visually and has more potential as a Smash fighter.

I want Pit and Palutena to return, but I'd replace Dark Pit with Medusa.

I know Hades is the more popular KI villain, but I think Medusa deserves that spot more by virtue of being a "Legacy" villain (since she was the main villain in the original NES game), not to mention that it would make the series' representation more balanced, like the Zelda characters (the hero, the heroine and the villain).

That and I think she's more interesting visually and has more potential as a Smash fighter.
They’d have to find a storyline way to have Medusa or Hades be in Smash since Smash 4 is canon to Kid Icarus (which I think is the only Nintendo franchise to have Smash be canon to them storyline wise...Kirby was probably just a tribute but idk)

Medusa would be a cool character to have (as would Hades and definitely Viridi), but Dark Pit gotta stay (and not as an alt)

They’d have to find a storyline way to have Medusa or Hades be in Smash since Smash 4 is canon to Kid Icarus (which I think is the only Nintendo franchise to have Smash be canon to them storyline wise...Kirby was probably just a tribute but idk)

Medusa would be a cool character to have (as would Hades and definitely Viridi), but Dark Pit gotta stay (and not as an alt)
When in doubt, retcons are your friends!

No disrespect, am I missing something or is the entire article just the four sentences?

I've beaten Kid Icarus Uprising and dont know where Magnus and Phosphora would even fit in as characters.
The popular ones I see are Viridi and Medusa, with an occasional Eggplant Wizard.

Why Phosphora?

No disrespect, am I missing something or is the entire article just the four sentences?

I've beaten Kid Icarus Uprising and dont know where Magnus and Phosphora would even fit in as characters.
The popular ones I see are Viridi and Medusa, with an occasional Eggplant Wizard.

Why Phosphora?
I suppose people like a 1 1/2 off character over two characters who actually matter to the story

Why Phosphora?

Why Phosphora?
You asked this already (unless you’ve been glitched or delayed)

I'll keep it short and sweet:

-Keep Pit as is.

-Turn Dark Pit into an ALT because the differences really weren't enough to warrant two slots.

-Palutena's specials need to be switched out with some of the custom ones. The default ones were just so lack luster and you could tell they did that on purpose. The argument that I always made was that her specials basically doomed her to be the equivalent of a low tier Mario.

-Keep Skyworld and Palutena's Temple, add something like the Ocean Palace or Medusa's Lair.

-Super wishful thinking but replace Dark Pit with Medusa and I'd even accept her as a semi clone of Palutena.

Last edited:
I'll keep it short and sweet:

-Keep Pit as is.

-Turn Dark Pit into an ALT because the differences really weren't enough to warrant to slots.

-Palutena's specials need to be switched out with some of the custom ones. The default ones were just so lack luster and you could tell they did that purpose. The argument that I always made was that her specials basically doomed her to be the equivalent of a low tier Mario.

-Keep Skyworld and Palutena's Temple, add something like the Ocean Palace or Medusa's Lair.

-Super wishful thinking but replace Dark Pit with Medusa and I'd even accept her as a semi clone of Palutena.
Pit definitely needs some buffs (some KO Power, but not too much of it)

F**king preach to that Palutena moveset swap

Reset Bomb Forest should also make a return, and Medusa’s Lair/Ocean Palace sounds like a cool stage idea (those and the Lightning Chariot Palace or Lighting Temple)

The Dark Pit ones definitely ain’t gonna happen since he’s literally an edgy Pit who has never touched any of the sacred treasures (the main reason for him becoming a full character), and Medusa would probably be better just being added in over replacing anyone (or Viridi since she still lives at the end of Uprising+Smash 4)

Also, cool Popeye pfp

Last edited:
Top Bottom