• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Speculation: Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Speculation.jpg

Note: These articles are more for discussion purposes before E3. They'll be short, sweet, and to the point for a brief recap and looking into possible characters/stages for each series in Smash Bros. These also go by a "Don't expect too much" philosophy. Please remember to be civil in the comments discussion.

The Donkey Kong series is one of Nintendo's oldest franchises, pre-dating even the NES. In Smash 64 and Melee, Donkey Kong was the series' only representative, with Diddy Kong added for Brawl and returning in Smash 3DS/Wii U. In Smash 64, Donkey Kong had one stage. Melee and Brawl each had three, Smash Wii U/3DS had four across both versions.

So, what can we expect this time?

Returning Characters

Donkey Kong is most definitely coming back, and Diddy Kong will probably follow along

New Characters

While they could just float by with the same two characters, fans have wanted King K. Rool for a long time, and I think there's a good shot that, depending on the newcomer focus, they'll do it now. Beyond that, Funky Kong or Dixie Kong as a semi-clone is definitely a plausible idea. The Donkey Kong series is one of the few franchises that could really use a bit more of support instead of being delegated to "would be nice to have" status - the question is if we'll see one or two newcomers, and if K. Rool will be a part of that.

Returning Stages

Kongo Jungle 64 is possible if 64 stages return. Maybe Jungle Japes as well. Beyond that, it's hard to say.

New Stages
If we get a new Donkey Kong stage, it will most likely be something from Tropical Freeze.

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on the DK franchise? What DK related content would you like to see in Smash for Switch? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

D
I legit want to see Funky Kong playable.
Rambi as an assist trophy would be neat too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really see how K Rool can be a playable fighter. Both his size and stuff he does in the games, are more relegated to a boss character status, similarly to Ridley.

If Funky is added to the game, I would laugh if they make him OP like in MKWii and DK:TF.

I don't really see how K Rool can be a playable fighter. Both his size and stuff he does in the games, are more relegated to a boss character status, similarly to Ridley.

If Funky is added to the game, I would laugh if they make him OP like in MKWii and DK:TF.
Think of King K. Rool as Bowser. He's a big boss too, but Bowser's been in since Melee. Plus, it ain't exactly like King K. Rool is massive (well, maybe a tidbit on DK64 if my memory proves right) -- he could easily be around Bowser's size.

A DK character that I think would be actually kinda fun on paper to have in would actually be Tiny Kong. Granted she's pretty obscure now, but think about it -- you could easily shift between a small hitbox and take more damage/launch farther but with more speed + combos, or you could shift to regular size where you can just whack the hell outta people with a baseball bat (plus her other moves in DK64 too) and potentially dish some good damage.

Dixie King as a semi-clone isn’t exactly a valid point. She has enough potential to have her own unique moveset and game play...especially if you take her floatiness and ability to hover into account. The possibility for her being a semi-clone is there obviously but writing her off as one is a bit dismissive IMO. I think we can all agree though that’s DK is one of the more shafted franchises that tends to suffer in the representation department.

Last edited:
Top Bottom