• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Stands in Solidarity with the Black Lives Matter Movement

BLM-DRW-002 (2).jpg

Smash unites people from all walks of life—we at Smashboards fully support the Black Lives Matter movement. We take racism very seriously, and in no way, shape or form do we condone it. It has no place in (or out) of our community, and we do our best to reprimand it on the site. We are anti-racist. This is a safe space for Black people and other People of Color, and we hope that, together, we can help better our world through understanding and compassion.

The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement is vocal in the fight against systemic racism, unequal justice under law, and police brutality not just in the United States, but across the world. The Movement's recent momentum was triggered by a series of killings of unarmed Black people, culminating with the murder of George Floyd.

Smash figureheads and related organizations across the board have spoken out in solidarity with the BLM movement:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Staying true to its grassroots nature, the Smash community has risen to the task of holding fundraisers and organizing charity tournaments for the BLM movement. For example, Journie Ma-Johnson raised $2000 for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund while reading The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness on stream, Nairoby "Nairo" Quezada and his streaming audience raised $16,000 for Reclaim the Block, and Panda Global's "First to 15" battle between Eric "ESAM" Lew and Ezra "Samsora" Morris raised $16,500 for various BLM-supported charities.

On June 1st, there were Super Smash Bros. Melee East and West Coast Netplay charity events, organized by Nico "Ryobeat" Rodriguez. Participants included Joseph "Mang0" Marquez, Johnny "S2J" Kim, Cody "iBDW" Schwab, Justin "Plup" McGrath, Sasha "Magi" Sullivan, and Kalindi "KJH" Henderson, and the event raised over $35,000 for an assortment of charities. There was a kindred event held for European players on June 6th, which had entrants spanning across the continent and ended up raising several thousand dollars of its own. Similar online charity tournaments for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and P+ are scheduled for June 13-15, and there are sure to be even more like them in the works. Scratch that Smash itch for a good cause!

You can find other ways to help with Black Lives Matter's causes here. Let's remember that this should not be a moment, but a movement.

Author's Note: It's heartening to see the Smash community come together and support the cause. It's important that we acknowledge the darker sides of our community, though, so. If you’re comfortable, I encourage you to share your experiences with racism and prejudice both in and out of the Smash scene below in the comments. We, as a community, need to be aware so that we can be better.

Times are tough for everyone, but if you're searching for information regarding specifically Black mental health, you might find this thread helpful.

Last edited:
EmaLeigh "$$$$" O'Neal

Comments

I really appreciate SmashBoards talking about this topic instead of avoiding it like a lesser forum would because of it being "political".

I have this sort of innate empathy, see, so when I see black people being subject to the vilest things at the hands of police, or anybody for that matter, I can't help but be shaken up about it. So I'm glad that so many people now are making a stand for this particular cause, and I hope things get a lot better for black people not just in America, but across the entire world. #BlackLivesMatter

Last edited:
D
My IRL Crush is black, and while we don't live in the USA I will surely try my best to keep Gran Canaria as a place where people like her don't have to fear about getting harmed while going through the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody deserves to be treated like ****, and potentially get murdered for something that is entirely out of their control, such as skin color.

#BlackLivesMatter

Last edited:
I don't know how to express how grateful I am that the movement has taken an effect so far. As long as we keep pushing this, we CAN prove this movement isn't all talk.

#BlackLiveMatter

I really appreciate SmashBoards talking about this topic instead of avoiding it like a lesser forum would because of it being "political".
I can't remember who I heard this from but I'll paraphrase the quote:
"There are two races: white and "political," two sexes: male and "political," two orientations: heterosexual and "political", two genders: cisgender and "political"....."

Last edited:
I hate to have to be the holder of unpopular opinions, but this really doesn't have anything to do with Smash, Nintendo, or video games in general. It's American politics.

If we're going to start using the Smash Boards as a forum to discuss human rights then I'd like to direct some attention to other situations going on like the oppression of Chinese citizens and North Korean citizens by their own governments as well as the lack of right of homosexuals to exist in most of the world.

I hate to have to be the holder of unpopular opinions, but this really doesn't have anything to do with Smash, Nintendo, or video games in general. It's American politics.
The article embeds numerous tweets from Super Smash Bros. community figureheads/competitive players, as well as Nintendo itself. It also highlights and links to community initiatives relating to the Black Lives Matter movement such as charity tournaments.
If we're going to start using the Smash Boards as a forum to discuss human rights then I'd like to direct some attention to other situations going on like the oppression of Chinese citizens and North Korean citizens by their own governments as well as the lack of right of homosexuals to exist in most of the world.
It is possible to care about more than one thing. At the moment, the Black Lives Matter movement is what's at the forefront of the Smash community's attention, in large part because most of the high-profile competitive events take place in the USA. If tons of Smash community members were discussing & hosting charity events relating to any of those issues, it'd certainly be news worth reporting here.

I 1000% agree with this.

Time for another unpopular opinion...

Not gonna lie, but I've always felt afraid and untrusting towards the BLM movement. I've been exposed to too many crazy people in my life who only ever side themselves with progressive movements not because they actually believe in it or know what it's about, but because they can stroke their own egos about how "righteous" they are... So, basically almost every corporation during Pride Month. The Chinese have dubbed these particular people "baizuo."
Like, I can at least understand when a person says "All Lives Matter." If you see a man, woman, or child, be it they're black, white, Asian, Namekian, whatever the hell, and they're in danger, your first instinct would (hopefully) be to help them, not to get caught up on what they look like! They say "never hit a woman," but the real rule should be "never hit, period." That's what my feminist mom always tells me.

But maybe I'm just missing something. After all, the whole world struggles to this day with racial, gender, and sexual inequality. We, Americans, would like to think we won the war against racism many decades ago, but if the stories about the police are true, then that was just the fight that we won. To be honest, the road to true ultimate equality will always be a work in progress, because humanity will always have that instinct to segregate and organize. That doesn't mean we can't try, though. I just don't like the term "Black Lives Matter" because it makes it sound like black lives are the only lives that matter; like nobody else of a different color have an equal, God-given right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
I just don't get it, that's all; again, blame the baizuo for making things so confusing. If everyone in the world actually came together out of honest selflessness for a righteous goal, then maybe I'd be more welcoming. Humans just really, really suck, in general...

Wait'll you hear where SmashBoards is hosted.

And like someone else said, this article is talking about something tons of figures in the Smash Community are talking about. It's a valid article.

I just don't like the term "Black Lives Matter" because it makes it sound like black lives are the only lives that matter; like nobody else of a different color have an equal, God-given right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
When someone is raising awareness for breast cancer, do you reply with "ALL CANCERS MATTER!"? Or do you understand that raising awareness about one thing does not imply the unimportance of any other thing?

AuraShaman AuraShaman : This article might help to clear up the confusion. I won't pretend to be well-informed on the subject, but I found the article to be helpful, since it provides a wide variety of quotes and analogies explaining the issue.

Not gonna lie, but I've always felt afraid and untrusting towards the BLM movement. I've been exposed to too many crazy people in my life who only ever side themselves with progressive movements not because they actually believe in it or know what it's about, but because they can stroke their own egos about how "righteous" they are... So, basically almost every corporation during Pride Month. The Chinese have dubbed these particular people "baizuo."
Like, I can at least understand when a person says "All Lives Matter." If you see a man, woman, or child, be it they're black, white, Asian, Namekian, whatever the hell, and they're in danger, your first instinct would (hopefully) be to help them, not to get caught up on what they look like! They say "never hit a woman," but the real rule should be "never hit, period." That's what my feminist mom always tells me.

But maybe I'm just missing something. After all, the whole world struggles to this day with racial, gender, and sexual inequality. We, Americans, would like to think we won the war against racism many decades ago, but if the stories about the police are true, then that was just the fight that we won. To be honest, the road to true ultimate equality will always be a work in progress, because humanity will always have that instinct to segregate and organize. That doesn't mean we can't try, though. I just don't like the term "Black Lives Matter" because it makes it sound like black lives are the only lives that matter; like nobody else of a different color have an equal, God-given right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
I just don't get it, that's all; again, blame the baizuo for making things so confusing. If everyone in the world actually came together out of honest selflessness for a righteous goal, then maybe I'd be more welcoming. Humans just really, really suck, in general...
The BLM movement is addressing a specific centuries old injustice that has been and continues to be perpetrated by those who are not black. That's why the "counter" All Lives Matter is literally non sequitur. Of course all lives matter! BLM does not claim that's untrue. They are mutually exclusive ideas. And those who specifically rail against BLM and in particular with the slogan All Lives Matter have missed the point entirely.

I’m very proud the site is supporting a very worthwhile cause that’s been largely ignored and forcibly forgotten since the Civil War and perhaps even before. I worry, like many times before, that the movement will fizzle out when the next hot-button event happens and takes up airwaves. I hope we can keep up with this momentum and truly make a difference not only for one group of people but for America as a whole. The police has largely become a militarized organization with inflated budgets that exceed their mandate to protect society and given the ability to use fear and power to enforce otherwise unlawful methods in order to “maintain order”. The fact that Chauvin, given his history, was a training officer and two rookies officers were training under him just baffles me.

As for #AllLivesMatter, I understand the reason and logic behind it but, in all honesty, please stop. It doesn’t help, it’s only counter-productive, and it actually doesn’t make any sense. Of course all lives matter. No one is debating that. Saying that is just an effort to distance yourself from the issue at hand, scared what the movement might produce and how that might negatively affect you in the future, or feeling marginalized because you feel you are not as important or valued. All lives matter, yes. However, we can’t continue to look at the discrimination and injustice committing by law enforcement against the black community and then proceed to bury our heads in the sand in hopes that the problem goes away. You could draw multiple parallels to this andC regardless of the subject matter, it still sounds silly and regressive.

“Save the pandas!”
“Err how about Save the animals! Why restrict it to pandas?”

“Feed the homeless!”
“hmmm..why not feed everyone?”

See? Ridiculous

Last edited:
As for #AllLivesMatter, I understand the reason and logic behind it but, in all honesty, please stop. It doesn’t help, it’s only counter-productive, and it actually doesn’t make any sense. Of course all lives matter. No one is debating that. Saying that is just an effort to distance yourself from the issue at hand, scared what the movement might produce and how that might negatively affect you in the future, or feeling marginalized because you feel you are not as important or valued. All lives matter, yes. However, we can’t continue to look at the discrimination and injustice committing by law enforcement against the black community and then proceed to bury our heads in the sand in hopes that the problem goes away. You could draw multiple parallels to this andC regardless of the subject matter, it still sounds silly and regressive.
To be honest I don't know why people don't just roll with the AllLivesMatter thing when it'll make it far easier for the average person to get behind the movement. Police brutality happens to more than just black people. You'll be hard pressed to find anybody who believes the cop that killed George Floyd did nothing wrong.

There's nothing to lose in focusing on police brutality in general rather than *just* the police brutality that happens to black people.

I agree. Well said

To everyone saying "well why don't we just say All Lives Matter!" here's a good comic explaining why that would only dilute the message people want to get across:

20160707_allhousesredux.png

While I definitely agree that all lives matter, I, as a white male, don't need to worry about getting murdered by the police in broad daylight. I recognize that privilege, and for that reason I advocate for others to have that privilege, because no one should have to fear for their life when faced with an institution designed to protect.

Definitely glad to see Smashboards come out in favor of this, because it's important. #BlackLivesMatter everyone.

Last edited:

Honestly, as someone who just very recently went all in with the black lives matter stuff, backing it, promoting it, going to protests in my hometown, etc., I've come to the conclusion that a lot, and I mean a lot, of both very milquetoast to borderline radical (both by American and general leftism standards) use snappy slogans that in definition have reasonable, understandable, many times even good ideas, but man do they suffer from horrible optics. Leftist academia circles that bleed into the woke among our populous come up with inflammatory, aggressive, targeted sounding slogans that on their face sound really terrible, then act surprised when bad faith actors use that against them and the neutral masses in the middle get turned off or misinformed about a potentially good idea.

Now granted, bad faith actors will invariably try to twist an idea to sound bad anyway, but can't we collectively try to make that as difficult as possible? Someone on a reddit thread I read about a week back suggested BLMs slogan should have been "Black Lives Also Matter". Still short, still sweet, conveys the bigger picture so it's hard to misconstrue the intent and have this constant tiresome conversation about "BLM doesn't mean only black lives matter, but rather they don't matter as much in police institutions...", and it makes a snappy acronym too! (BLAM).

So many concepts like toxic masculinity, white privilege, and the like sound immediately reductionist and confrontational, and require someone to explain what they mean when the name suggests something very different as they lend themselves to people just hearing about it for the first time to write it off as an insult and a stupid idea. It's caused me to technically support a lot of leftist ideas from the shadows without openly using the lingo because the terminology objectively sucks and there's practically always a less confrontational, more concise, and more clear and to the point way to explain a concept to someone I'm talking to.

Seriously, if there's one thing they need to teach in leftist academia (if nothing else), it's branding.

When someone is raising awareness for breast cancer, do you reply with "ALL CANCERS MATTER!"? Or do you understand that raising awareness about one thing does not imply the unimportance of any other thing?
The BLM movement is addressing a specific centuries old injustice that has been and continues to be perpetrated by those who are not black. That's why the "counter" All Lives Matter is literally non sequitur. Of course all lives matter! BLM does not claim that's untrue. They are mutually exclusive ideas. And those who specifically rail against BLM and in particular with the slogan All Lives Matter have missed the point entirely.
You both bring up a very valid argument. To raise awareness isn't to devalue all other things. I feel I understand this situation whole lot better, now.

I'm not recognized as white by the US Census Bureau, so I might be able to speak on this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The general consensus of the people living in the US has always been botched by the media and political strategies. This is no exception. As for evidence, using the National Crime Victimization Survey compiled for the year 2018 by the Bureau of Justice Statistics under the United States' Department of Justice, as linked here, white-on-black violence amassed an estimated number of 59,778 victims. On the contrary, black-on-white violence earned a total of 547,948 victims. That's 916'6% more crimes on blacks over whites than vice-versa. Keep in mind though, it's unfair to compare these percentages when both populations are not equal. That is, the US Census reported that approximately 197 million denizens living in the US were classified as white, whereas 40 million were either black or African American. If you were to account for these numbers, there are 45 black-on-white violent attacks for each white-on-black attack, and even if you were to exclude more superficial rimes like an aggravated assault without casualties, the numbers still add up to the fact that black-on-white violence is more prevalent than white-on-black violence.
Coming up to this point, I know what you're thinking: can I prove that there's no prejudice against black people by white people? No. Moreover, I'm well aware that there are African American that are being frowned upon by others and judged from a superficial level without being able to prove themselves. However, from that very same superficial point of view, many others upon these changing times are willing to accept strangers as more worthy of life than themselves. It really strikes me a nerve whenever someone suspects all people from a different race than theirs are angelical beings and are incapable of doing wrong, even when they're faced with actual thugs that pretend absolute harm to them, and yet to regurgitate the same refrain that's been proven wrong by their own eyes! What is this, positive racism? Reminds me of a surrealist movie, Viridiana, where a nun from her own benevolence gets robbed by tramps living in her own home. Even without religion, American people are still willing to do the same thing, huh.
What's truly puzzling to me, however, is what's the merit, the objective, of all this political uproar. To overthrow the system? If you'd think that, you'd be dead wrong. Just to justify this, take a look, take a good look onto the stock market, and see for yourself if the system is truly collapsing, if corporations are truly pleading for an economical leverage as they fill in for bankruptcy. They're not. In fact, their stock value is increasing and it's become very profitable to buy stock nowadays in this age of insurgence. Just as you've read this article The Pokemon Company and Nintendo has made a vague allegiance to the black community. Wtf are going to do for them? Send them money and maybe accommodate a stupid ass pikachu plush toy besides some black's tombstone? Just looked as how many of them have sent an acknowledgement like pic related:
BRAN!.jpg
If I were black I'd be pissed at them. It's almost as if they're taunting everyone. Definitely these riots are not discouraging them to turn on a profit. Our affiliated stores are in flames? Ok, no problem, can build another one. They can't be faced. In fact, the only ones at peril here are millions of workers and small business owners who may as well be your parents that got the ruckus at full front, their stores pillaged and their establishments burning to the soil amid a GLOBAL PANDEMIC nonetheless. If that was the target of these attacks, congratulations. You've told them, boy. That'll tell'em, those evil rayciss pipol, those homophagous folks. And don't get me started on the jurisdictional repercussions. If you've ever wanted legal equality, with the current happenings you've hindered every opportunity at it. I could even see people being bestowed more layers of benevolence because of their skin color.
"Ya finna go to jail." "But he's black, dawg." "Aight, bail him out, he's a homie."
To conclude, whoever you wish to project your angst against, keep in mind it may not stand for what reality may be. At the very least, all this stupiity is finally showing and at the spotlight. Perchance, people will realize that's idiotic to speak on behalf of your political bias instead of your own reason. Maybe.

TL:DR all mass political movements are dumb: don't follow them.

I think it's safe to say that most black Americans are far less likely to report assaults in general. I mean just in my home town there's been countless times a black person called the police and ended up either shot dead BY the first responders or arrested. At the very least they don't get the same benefit of the doubt that whites during those first few precious moments that first responders are sizing up the situation. So those numbers pretty much prove the disparity that's being called out nationwide.

As for Capitalism, well that's not the true enemy in this fight. Quincy Jones, Snoop, The Waynes, BET, on and on, these financial success stories amounting to billions of dollars just goes to show that Americans are strong consumers. Heck there's a dude in the CHAZ selling 6 dollar hot dogs lol.

The real issue is that violence needs to be left out of the equation. The looting is counterproductive for sure. Peaceful demonstration works. As we can see several communities are in talks with legislature right now about defunding or outright abolishing police forces because these entities have grown too powerful for their mandates. Ever remind a cop they work for you? Ever thank them for performing their civic duty as they write your ticket? Man... They don't like that. But it's truth and they need to be reminded of that.

D
Very good cause shedding light on a very strong subject thanks for doing this and Spreading word. Of the good cause.

#BlackLivesMatter

The looting is counterproductive for sure. Peaceful demonstration works. As we can see several communities are in talks with legislature right now about defunding or outright abolishing police forces because these entities have grown too powerful for their mandates.
I don't know how anybody can think abolishing police in areas where there are gangs of looters is a good idea.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but *most* cops really are just regular people doing their job.

You'd be surprised. Those NYPD officers who - correctly - took a knee during a protest are now facing what amounts to hazing at their precincts because Blue Lives Matter Most. The brotherhood of cops is indestructible as it sits. If one messes up they form a protective circle to keep it in the family. No true accountability.

Don't get me wrong, we do need first responders. Tragedies like 9/11 or something small scale like a family member having a heart attack, or a home invasion even. And Justice requires warrants searches seizures etc. Police have a role. What we don't need are these shaved headed gun toting psychopaths who think they're in John Wayne movie, who see everyone not cop as Civilian and therefore at their mercy, who think the badge makes them automatically right regardless of the circumstances or whose involved.

Thank you Smashboards for talking about this. Seeing all this support for BLM feels like a good step forward; hopefully this leads to a demilitarized police force that stops brutalizing people and getting away with it.

As for the rioters and looters, pointing to them to de-legitimize the movement is honestly tone deaf. It's a free-for-all; you got bigoted groups starting some, cops going undercover and breaking windows to justify a violent response, people affiliated with far left groups starting some, and random people who have no affiliation starting problems. That rioting stuff goes either direction and we can't hold any one group responsible. I'm more suspicious of the people who are just pointing at one group.

I'm not recognized as white by the US Census Bureau, so I might be able to speak on this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The general consensus of the people living in the US has always been botched by the media and political strategies. This is no exception. As for evidence, using the National Crime Victimization Survey compiled for the year 2018 by the Bureau of Justice Statistics under the United States' Department of Justice, as linked here, white-on-black violence amassed an estimated number of 59,778 victims. On the contrary, black-on-white violence earned a total of 547,948 victims. That's 916'6% more crimes on blacks over whites than vice-versa. Keep in mind though, it's unfair to compare these percentages when both populations are not equal. That is, the US Census reported that approximately 197 million denizens living in the US were classified as white, whereas 40 million were either black or African American. If you were to account for these numbers, there are 45 black-on-white violent attacks for each white-on-black attack, and even if you were to exclude more superficial rimes like an aggravated assault without casualties, the numbers still add up to the fact that black-on-white violence is more prevalent than white-on-black violence.
Coming up to this point, I know what you're thinking: can I prove that there's no prejudice against black people by white people? No. Moreover, I'm well aware that there are African American that are being frowned upon by others and judged from a superficial level without being able to prove themselves. However, from that very same superficial point of view, many others upon these changing times are willing to accept strangers as more worthy of life than themselves. It really strikes me a nerve whenever someone suspects all people from a different race than theirs are angelical beings and are incapable of doing wrong, even when they're faced with actual thugs that pretend absolute harm to them, and yet to regurgitate the same refrain that's been proven wrong by their own eyes! What is this, positive racism? Reminds me of a surrealist movie, Viridiana, where a nun from her own benevolence gets robbed by tramps living in her own home. Even without religion, American people are still willing to do the same thing, huh.
What's truly puzzling to me, however, is what's the merit, the objective, of all this political uproar. To overthrow the system? If you'd think that, you'd be dead wrong. Just to justify this, take a look, take a good look onto the stock market, and see for yourself if the system is truly collapsing, if corporations are truly pleading for an economical leverage as they fill in for bankruptcy. They're not. In fact, their stock value is increasing and it's become very profitable to buy stock nowadays in this age of insurgence. Just as you've read this article The Pokemon Company and Nintendo has made a vague allegiance to the black community. Wtf are going to do for them? Send them money and maybe accommodate a stupid ass pikachu plush toy besides some black's tombstone? Just looked as how many of them have sent an acknowledgement like pic related:
View attachment 274578
If I were black I'd be pissed at them. It's almost as if they're taunting everyone. Definitely these riots are not discouraging them to turn on a profit. Our affiliated stores are in flames? Ok, no problem, can build another one. They can't be faced. In fact, the only ones at peril here are millions of workers and small business owners who may as well be your parents that got the ruckus at full front, their stores pillaged and their establishments burning to the soil amid a GLOBAL PANDEMIC nonetheless. If that was the target of these attacks, congratulations. You've told them, boy. That'll tell'em, those evil rayciss pipol, those homophagous folks. And don't get me started on the jurisdictional repercussions. If you've ever wanted legal equality, with the current happenings you've hindered every opportunity at it. I could even see people being bestowed more layers of benevolence because of their skin color.
"Ya finna go to jail." "But he's black, dawg." "Aight, bail him out, he's a homie."
To conclude, whoever you wish to project your angst against, keep in mind it may not stand for what reality may be. At the very least, all this stupiity is finally showing and at the spotlight. Perchance, people will realize that's idiotic to speak on behalf of your political bias instead of your own reason. Maybe.

TL:DR all mass political movements are dumb: don't follow them.
Allow me to put a pin in this. There is some MAJOR reductionism here, but I'll get back to it later.

As for the rioters and looters, pointing to them to de-legitimize the movement is honestly tone deaf.
When regular people see local stores they go to getting burned and looted in riots started by this movement it makes the whole movement look bad. I'm willing to accept that there are lots of people who genuinely are concerned about police brutality, but if you want normal people not to dismiss the movement as crazy people burning things then it would help if many of the people promoting the movement would also acknowledge that there *are* bad actors taking advantage of the situation and attempt to separate Black Lives Matter from people destroying things.

And yet everywhere you look you see people saying nothing about the riots or actively defending them:
https://time.com/5849163/why-describing-george-floyd-protests-as-riots-is-loaded/

This time article is literally suggesting that we call it an "uprising" to make it sound more morally righteous. These are the people hurting Black Lives Matter the most- not the normal people who work 9-5, come home, and see places they go to getting destroyed on the news.

Last edited:
I do agree. Black Lives do matter, and they should be respected, like everyone else's lives.

But did you know that more black people were killed by rioters in two weeks than by police in 2019?
Their message and intentions are right, but how they're doing it is so incredibly wrong.

See you in CHAZ!

Last edited:
I'm a bit late but it's good to see this site say something, even if it's a tad empty, Smash wants to be part of the FGC which in my experience, is mostly black, so yeah, good to see support for the protestors. I hope that at the end of the day, society will change for the better so that black kids worldwide will never have to live in fear again, my country will never do blackface for a festival again, that being arrested no longer means you've given sexual consent to a pig regardless of what state you live in, that the New York Police Department no longer becomes the 33rd most expensive military force on the planet and that the pigs guilty of all these atrocities throughout the years get what's coming for them

When regular people see local stores they go to getting burned and looted in riots started by this movement it makes the whole movement look bad. I'm willing to accept that there are lots of people who genuinely are concerned about police brutality, but if you want normal people not to dismiss the movement as crazy people burning things then it would help if many of the people promoting the movement would also acknowledge that there *are* bad actors taking advantage of the situation and attempt to separate Black Lives Matter from people destroying things.

And yet everywhere you look you see people saying nothing about the riots or actively defending them:
https://time.com/5849163/why-describing-george-floyd-protests-as-riots-is-loaded/

This time article is literally suggesting that we call it an "uprising" to make it sound more morally righteous. These are the people hurting Black Lives Matter the most- not the normal people who work 9-5, come home, and see places they go to getting destroyed on the news.
You're not looking everywhere. There's video evidence of people being stopped from destroying property by fellow protesters. Philip Defranco and others have circulated vids of agent provacateurs causing mayhem and pinning it on BLM. Again, if people are gonna use the riots to dismiss this situation as "look at them destroying their own communities" when you have groups all over the political spectrum and undercover cops starting these riots then they're either A) uninformed, B) duped, C) bad faith actors trying to downplay the issues, D) unwilling to lend support.

Where do you land in this regard? There are videos of people separating themselves from these bad actors and it's easy to find them.

Last edited:
You're not looking everywhere. There's video evidence of people being stopped from destroying property by fellow protesters. Philip Defranco and others have circulated vids of agent provacateurs causing mayhem and pinning it on BLM. Again, if people are gonna use the riots to dismiss this situation as "look at them destroying their own communities" when you have groups all over the political spectrum and undercover cops starting these riots then they're either A) uninformed, B) duped, C) bad faith actors trying to downplay the issues, D) unwilling to lend support.

Where do you land in this regard? There are videos of people separating themselves from these bad actors and it's easy to find them.
I'm aware that there are people who are participating in the movement because they genuinely believe in it, but surely you can't honestly tell me there are just as many people acknowledging the unjustified violence against strangers as there are people tweeting #BLM and then saying nothing about it. This thread itself is an example of that.

My own personal opinion is that the amount of murder and property destruction has overshadowed whatever message people were hoping to send. What my opinion is doesn't really matter though. It's not me that you have to convince to make things happen; It's the average person and most of them don't like seeing things on fire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom