• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Podcasts! Ask S2J QUESTIONS!!!

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
The Smash Podcasts!

Main Idea

Well basically it's a Podcast. If you don't know what that is, click here! Jkun (DJ mirror now) came up with the idea to interview pro smash players to share their knowledge with the smash community.

Format

Here's the general layout we've came up with for the interview.

First Segment: Direct questions from the smash community. YES THAT MEANS YOU! This is the main reason I'm posting this in the melee forum. POST YOUR QUESTIONS FOR THE PLAYER WE ARE COVERING, IN THIS THREAD!

Second Segment: After the "Ask the player segment", we'll either link to or include a match of the pro where he will go over it in detail and explain what was going through his head during the match. The match its self is chosen by the pro because he will know which match he can explain best.

Third and final segment: Advice about the Pro's main and match up information that all you out there are dying to know.

When this will go down

Usually, I'll give at least 2 weeks of notice to you, the community, to ask questions for the player. That should be plenty of time to shovel in anything you're just bursting to ask.

Archive

Podcast #1 Featuring HugS
Segment 1 part 1
Segment 1 part 2
Segment 2
Segment 3

Podcast #2 Featuring Zhu
Segment 1 part 1
Segment 1 part 2
No Segment 2
No Segment 3

Podcast #3 Featuring Chu Dat
Segment 1 part 1
Segment 1 part 2
No Segment 2
Segment 3

Podcast #4 Featuring Eggz
Segment 1
No Segment 2
Segment 3

Podcast #5 Featuring Teczero
Segment 1
Segment 2
Segment 3

Podcast #6 Featuring Wobbles
Segment 1 part 1
Segment 1 part 2
Segment 2
Segment 3

Podcast #7 Featuring Dr. PeePee
Segment 1
Segment 2
Segment 3

Podcast #8 Featuring Lucky
Segment 1 Part 1
Segment 1 Part 2
Segment 2
Segment 3

Podcast #9 Featuring Mango
Segment 1 Part 1
Segment 1 Part 2
Segment 1 Part 3
No Segment 2
No Segment 3

Podcast #10 Featuring Silentspectre
Segment 1 Part 1
Segment 1 Part 2
No Segment 2
No Segment 3

Podcast #11 Featuring Lovage
Segment 1 Part 1
Segment 1 Part 2
Segment 1 Part 3
No Segment 2
Segment 3

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey hugs what are your favorite kinds of questions?

Becuase I ask everyone and their mom, do you know anything about pichu? advice would be cool I'm always looking for more knowledge.

Do you enjoy stareing at a good ceiling?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I always want to hear about players first tournament experience.

So... to HugS I ask, what was your first real tournament experience like? I'm not counting school tournaments, but rather tournaments from the competitive community, you know?

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
what do you think makes some players able to get good much faster than others?

who(other than yourself) do you give the most credit for your getting pro?

xbombr

Smash Ace
Hey HugS,

Do you have some general advice on the Falcon match up? (Since you claim it's one of your best match ups.)

Any advice for facing Sheik? (Kira seems to swear that you make the match up much harder for Sheik than other Samus players do, but I guess it could be a skill gap as far as other Samus players go. Would still be interesting to hear some insight though.)

Got any possible new ideas to advance the Samus metagame?

What did it feel like to slap Mango accross the face with your money?

Hey HugS! Would you give me a Hug if I told you I had cake and would be willing to share?

I.B

Smash Lord
Hugooo

Technical ability aside, what changes have you observed in players from the 06-07 era compared to the 08-current era?

DJMirror

Smash Master
I didn't think this idea of mine will expand all over the other regions haha **** i guess we'll start this once me, stab and GSUB will finish with our work so we can do this.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hugs,

What do you think of a typical Melee match when you watch/play it? Do you see it as a form of rock/paper/scissors, or do you see frame advantages, or do you just try to learn player habits and go off of experience? If more than one of these apply, is there a prevailing theme that influences your perspective?

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Hugs, who are some of your favorite players, currently active and retired, and what do you like about their playstyles? Since you've been in the scene for such a long time, would you mention a few under-appreciated awesome players who you think have brought something to the game but maybe didn't achieve success in the tournament scene and tell us why you like them?

PS: Awesome idea Stab/Jkun. You have something awesome on your hands, especially if this idea takes off with Waffles' travel fund and you guys can interview pros from all over.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Hugs,

What do you think of a typical Melee match when you watch/play it? Do you see it as a form of rock/paper/scissors, or do you see frame advantages, or do you just try to learn player habits and go off of experience? If more than one of these apply, is there a prevailing theme that influences your perspective?
what do you think makes some players able to get good much faster than others?

who(other than yourself) do you give the most credit for your getting pro?

Hugooo

Technical ability aside, what changes have you observed in players from the 06-07 era compared to the 08-current era?

good questions

Hey Hugo,

Why is your Ganon so SICK?
Hey Hugs,

Why don't you SWD/Extended grapple?
(I'm asking because I'm a samus main too. :D)

bad questions

LOL

Jack of Blades!

Smash Journeyman
Lovage, is it a bad question to ask why a pro player doesn't use certain things their character can do that can be useful? I would like to know why too... I'm under the impression SWD and the extend grapple are good, maybe I'm wrong and HugS can tell us why.

HugS, what has been the biggest smash related road block for you in your smash career and how did you overcome it?

cykofox

Smash Ace
Hugs, you have really good spacing, do you think that focusing less on the technical aspect of the game allows you to be more careful with spacing moves?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Dear HugS,

What made you commit to a character like Samus?

What kind of balance do you maintain regarding Smash and your daily responsibilities?

How much do you think this podcast will affect the community?

How long do you intend to pursue your Smash career?

Aside from just being entertaining, how has Melee and the social experiences that it brought to you affected you as a person?

Do you have a secret Samus shrine from which you summon all of your powers from? If so, please release a detailed guide on how to construct such a shrine and how to perform the rituals to summon said powers.

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
Hugs, do you think you could have been more successful if you used a top tier instead of Samus or do you think Samus complements your style of play the best, if yes then how.

What player has given you the most trouble in your time of playing smash.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Do you feel Samus is as good as she gets now, or are there still a good number of ways to expand her game?

Is there anything other Samus mains aren't doing that you feel they should be/should start doing more from now on? Is there anything you yourself should start doing more?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
When and to whom did you bet your name (Hugs) against another man in a money match against his $100 dollars?

Who won this match?

When the winner won this match, what was he gracious enough to do?

HugS™

Smash Lord
Let me just say i LOVE the majority of these questions.

It's nice to know that I'll be asked something other than "So why'd you choose the name HugS?"

The podcasters better get on their **** though, no mumbling. I've heard way too many mumbling interviewers. :/

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
How do you think Wes achieved success with a more tricky-type Samus?

How did you come across making a completely new style for Samus instead of just copying Wes?

Do you think Samus' tricks you don't use could help your game? Why/Why not?

Top Bottom