• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Island: An Experimental Online Smash Tournament

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Results:

1. Killer
2. rjgbadger
3. Nova
4. DarkErmac
5. Madrush21
6. caneut
7. Bluigi22

Bracket: http://challonge.com/64SI

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get a PJ64k tournament going for a while, but there's always a distinct lack of entrants.

The newest thread is here.

I've decided to experiment with a ruleset that uses some GS codes, as well as an online format in which the tournament is completed in one sitting.

Similar tournaments in Brawl and Project M have already proven moderately successful, so I figured I'd give Smash 64 a shot.

The tournament will begin today, at approximately 15:00 EST. I sent out a reminder to all participants to post a confirmation in the tournament's thread. Anyone who fails to show up for their first match will be dropped from the bracket.

Each round will last half an hour. I can push back a deadline if necessitated by a lack of finished matches. If all matches are played out before the deadline, the next round will immediately start. The bracket will be updated once at the beginning of each round.

All finished match results should be posted in the thread. If the other player does not show up to fight, you may PM me before the match deadline indicating this. If the match isn't played out before the deadline, the other player will be disqualified from the match.

Rules:
  • Double Elimination
  • 5 Stocks
  • No Handicap
  • Damage 100%
  • Items disabled
  • All matches are best of 3, except for winners/losers/grand finals, which are best of 5.
  • All characters other than the original 12 are banned.
  • Stage list:
    Code:
    Neutral
      Battlefield
      Dreamland
      Kongo Jungle
    Counterpick
      Metal Cavern
      S Yoshi's Island
      Hyrule Castle
      How to Play
      Peach's Castle
  • The first match of a set is chosen by a 3-stage striking system with the neutral stages. In this system, players alternate striking stages until one is left, which is then fought on.
  • For the other matches in the set, the winner of the previous match may strike one stage from the neutral and counterpick stages. Then the loser may pick from any of the other neutral/counterpick stages available.
  • Black DK, Dark Samus, and Dark Falcon are discouraged if the stage is Kongo Jungle due to blending in. An opponent can force the other player to change their color if this is an issue.
  • If a player pauses at any time during a match, the other player may force them to lose a stock if they wish.
  • If a player desynchs at least four times, the other player may force them to forfeit the match.
  • The Gentlemen's Clause is in effect. As long as both players agree to it, any of the above rules may be ignored.
  • Necessary cheats:
    Code:
    Unlock all characters: 810A4938 0FF0
    Unlock Item Switch: 800A4937 00FF
    Play on How to Play: 800A4D09 000B
    Play on S Yoshi's Island: 800A4D09 000C
    Play on Metal Cavern: 800A4D09 000D
    Play on Battlefield: 800A4D09 000E
  • If the host of the match does not have these cheats, feel free to slap them through your Internet connection.
  • Set Procedure
    • Players select characters for the first match.
    • Players strike stages.
    • The first match is played.
    • The winner of the previous match strikes a stage from the neutral/counterpick list.
    • The loser of the previous match selects the next match's stage from the other available stages.
    • The winner of the previous match selects their character.
    • The loser of the previous match selects their character.
    • The next match is played.
    • Repeat the last 5 steps until the set is completed.
Player List:
  • Bluigi22 - confirmed
  • DarkErmac - confirmed
  • MrMarbles44
  • Nova - confirmed
  • Radness
  • Killer - confirmed
  • KoRoBeNiKi
  • Madrush21 - confirmed
  • rjgbadger - confirmed
  • caneut - confirmed
  • ComboBlaze

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
How to play and cloudless yoshi stages are perfectly fine as counterpicks I think. Certainly no more crazy than peach's castle. Hyrule should not be allowed at all. If we're going the route of gameshark stages, make the 3 neutral stages dreamland, battlefield and kongo.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I'll play in it

Name: Nova
Contacts: skype - gavinmac20, smashboards pm

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
Name: Killer
Contacts: skype - ezkillah101, smashboards pm

I think Hyrule should be allowed

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Added.

I've been thinking of adding Hyrule back in, as a counterpick. I mean, if Peach's Castle can be a counterpick, anything can. Well, as long as it's not blatantly disruptive.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
this is a tourney thats obviously meant to be more fun then serious. therefore hyrule should be legal cuz its really fun. anyone who wants to play gay in a tourney like this shouldnt participate

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
this is a tourney thats obviously meant to be more fun then serious. therefore hyrule should be legal cuz its really fun. anyone who wants to play gay in a tourney like this shouldnt participate

Don't mind if I do participate and do it anyways. If the alternative to "playing gay" is to run through a horde of lasers and get combo'd to death from a fox that has all the space in the world to keep his distance, I'll choose the former, **** you very much.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Don't mind if I do participate and do it anyways. If the alternative to "playing gay" is to run through a horde of lasers and get combo'd to death from a fox that has all the space in the world to keep his distance, I'll choose the former, **** you very much.
yeah i saw ur set with killer it was just terrible to watch. Its really sad that u can only ever enjoy this game from a competitive standpoint. There's much more to it than that

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
yeah i saw ur set with killer it was just terrible to watch. Its really sad that u can only ever enjoy this game from a competitive standpoint. There's much more to it than that

It has nothing to do with being competitive. In that stage, if I run after killer he can just keep away the entire time and space me perfectly with all that room to run away with lasers and I can never touch him. So it's either I wait for him to approach me, or I suicide by approaching him and the same also applies to him. What's so hard to understand about a broken stage that causes this dumb behavior?

What's with this ****ty double standard? I'm "super competitive and gay" for waiting for him to approach, but killer is just "playing for fun" by doing the same thing?

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, not a lot of people confirming. I wonder if I should push back the tournament by an hour or so.

caneut

Smash Ace
**** am I too late? I just woke up.

However I will probably get disqualified for lagging before losing, but hell I'll try anyway.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
You're still in.

I forgot to remove ComboBlaze from the bracket. Is there a way to edit challonge brackets after the tournament starts?

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
... yeah. I prepared the entrant list in advance and forgot to remove you, and I really don't feel like wasting more time making another bracket so... yeah.

caneut

Smash Ace
K how long do I have to play this rgjbadger guy and who can I contact him?

Top Bottom