• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash is Gonna Get a Serious Punch in the Throat! General Disgaea Support Thread!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
NOTE: This is my first time making a support thread. Chances are, I'm gonna make a bunch of mistakes. Please bare with me on this.

DisgaeaLogo.png

Welcome to the Disgaea for Smash Support Thread! Here we'll discuss the flagship SRPG series from Nippon Ichi, and how it can come to Smash!

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION. WILL NEED FEEDBACK.)

What is Disgaea?
Disgaea is a long-running series of strategy RPGs created by Nippon Ichi Software. Although the games usually aren't directly connected, they all share similar concepts and premises:

• Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - The first game in the series, you play as Laharl, the son of the Netherworld's previous Overlord, as he sets off to claim control of the Netherworld. He is aided by his vassel Etna, and an Angel Trainee named Flonne, who wants to know if it's possible for Demons to love.
  • Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - Set at least a few years after Hour of Darkness, this game follows Adell, the sole human in the cursed village of Veldime. When attempting to summon the Overlord who cursed the village, he instead summons his daughter Rozalin, and ends up bonded to her. This leads them to work together in order to find the Overlord.
  • Disgaea 3: Absense of Justice - This game parodies stories with high school settings. It follows Mao, the son of the Evil Academy headmaster, as he trains to become a Hero in order to defeat his father. He is joined by a wannabe hero named Almaz, and his childhood delinquant friend Raspberyl.
  • Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - Similar to how Disgaea 3 parodied high school plots, Disgaea 4 parodies political plots. This time, you play as Valvatorez, a former Tyrant Overlord who has long grown weak due to a promise he made to not drink human blood. When the actions of the Corruptment begin to interfere with his goals, he launches a rebellion against them, alongside his servant Fenrich, and a newly-deceased middle-schooler named Fuka, who's convinced everything is a dream.
  • Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness - A direct sequal to Hour of Darkness, it follows Laharl's activities as the Overlord, including fighting off those who don't find him a worthy ruler, and meeting his long-lost twin sister, Sicily.
  • Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance - Implied to be a prequal to the series, this game follows a group of Demons who band together to defeat The Lost and their leader, Void Dark. This ragtag group is lead by Killia, a mysterious Dragonewt Demon with a personal grudge against the Demon Emperor.
  • Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny - The upcoming sixth installment, coming exclusively to Switch in the West. It follows Zed, a normal Zombie who comes into conflict with the most powerful God of Destruction in recorded history. To defeat him, Zed uses the forbidden "Super Reincarnation" technique to travel to different worlds and become stronger.

The series is known for its self aware humor, often parodying various tropes from anime and video games.

Why Disgaea?
Disgaea is famous for its over-the-top nature, often encouraging people to reach the max level of 9999, and having damages in the millions. It's also Nippon Ichi's most iconic IP, even recieving an anime adaptation at one point. NIS have also been close partners of Nintendo, especially during the Switch era, often porting their games to the Switch.

Dark Assembly:
1. C chocolatejr9
2. Clumsyzephyr Clumsyzephyr
3. NOSTARSICK NOSTARSICK
4. Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
5. Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto
6. Gengar84 Gengar84
7. Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
8. Simplythe1 Simplythe1
9. Munchi Munchi

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting for this, I absolutely love the Disgaea series. I support a character, or really any representation, in smash 100%

Last edited:

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
One of my favorite series! I remember getting my first game (Disgaea 2 on PS2 when it came out) when I was either in middle school or just starting high school, and I've been hooked ever since

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
One of my favorite series! I remember getting my first game (Disgaea 2 on PS2 when it came out) when I was either in middle school or just starting high school, and I've been hooked ever since
Am I correct in assuming you want to be on the support list? Just wanna make sure.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love the Disgaea series and I think it would be a great fit for Smash. I think Laharl is probably the most likely but I would love to see either Etna, Rozalin, or Valvatorez. Feel free to add me to the supporters list.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I love the Disgaea series and I think it would be a great fit for Smash. I think Laharl is probably the most likely but I would love to see either Etna, Rozalin, or Valvatorez.
Just to make sure, you wanna be on the support list?

Also, Gonak Gonak and Big Boss Rio Big Boss Rio I saw you both like the main post. Do either of you want to be added as well?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah I just edited my post to say to add me but I was a little too late lol
And added! Welcome aboard!

Anyway, let's try and get a discussion going. Now, I know this is a Disgaea thread, but if you've played Disgaea, you know there are MANY frequant crossovers with other Nippon Ichi titles, most notably the Marl Kingdom series, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Soul Nomad. Do any of you think that, if we were to get a Disgaea rep, they would pull a Terry and include content from other NIS games?

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support Disgaea Characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate plus Disgaea is a great RPG Series Sign Me Up :D
For character choices i choose Prinny,Laharl,Axel,Valvatorez or Overlord Zetta

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I support Disgaea Characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate plus Disgaea is a great RPG Series Sign Me Up :D
For character choices i choose Prinny,Laharl,Axel,Valvatorez or Overlord Zetta
Added! And those are all good choices! Especially Valvatorez, he's my favorite MC.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
And added! Welcome aboard!

Anyway, let's try and get a discussion going. Now, I know this is a Disgaea thread, but if you've played Disgaea, you know there are MANY frequant crossovers with other Nippon Ichi titles, most notably the Marl Kingdom series, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Soul Nomad. Do any of you think that, if we were to get a Disgaea rep, they would pull a Terry and include content from other NIS games?
Oh I hope they would, especially Marl Kingdom (they need to localize a collection of that series) or La Pucelle music

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m hoping that no matter who they choose, we get both White Tiger and Rock Crystal as songs. I usually play one of these while grinding the item world.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m hoping that no matter who they choose, we get both White Tiger and Rock Crystal as songs. I usually play one of these while grinding the item world.
For what it's worth, when I asked if they would pull a Terry, I wasn't JUST talking about including content from other NIS games... wink wink

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Made myself a stock icon for Laharl
View attachment 300529
Planning to make a stock icon for every protagonist in each numbered series (and also Prinny). So next up is Disgaea 2!
Ooh, that's not bad! Good luck with the others!

By the way, for anybody interested, the Japanese version of Disgaea 6 comes out tomorrow. This might lead to spoilers, so keep an eye out.

EDIT: Okay, slight correction. It actually comes out on the 28th. Still, you get what I'm saying.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

So looks like Disgaea 6 is adding previous protagonists as DLC and each will get their own little scenario
So for anybody not willing to read the article, here's the basics. The DLC for tgis game will be split into waves:

• Wave 1 will have Adell (Disgaea 2), Rozalin (Disgaea 2), Laharl-chan (Disgaea D2), and Asagi (Makai Wars, which finally got released as a Japan-exclusive mobile game, who will be a free DLC character).
  • Wave 2 will have Mao (Disgaea 3), Raspberyl (Disgaea 3), Valvatorez (Disgaea 4), and Pleinair (varies).
  • Wave 3 will have Fuka (Disgaea 4), Desco (Disgaea 4), Killia (Disgaea 5), and Usalia (Disgaea 5).

Also worth noting that Asagi, Pleinair, and Usalia will have alts of some kind.

Now I'm curious about what the post-game will be like. We already know about the OG trio being there, but will anybody else?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For those who don't know, NISA had a few contests recently to decide future content for Disgaea 6. Well, here are the results!

Love how all the winning names are joke names, btw.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For anybody interested in mobile games, Disgaea RPG has an official English release date!

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
For anybody interested in mobile games, Disgaea RPG has an official English release date!

Didn't even know there was a mobile game to begin with. I'll check it out lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

We finally have Disgaea 6's English release date: June 29th! Plus, it's gonna come with the first wave of DLC!

On top of that, Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad, two NIS games with close ties to Disgaea, are both coming to Switch! I believe this is actually the first time Soul Nomad has been rereleased...

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice

We finally have Disgaea 6's English release date: June 29th! Plus, it's gonna come with the first wave of DLC!

On top of that, Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad, two NIS games with close ties to Disgaea, are both coming to Switch! I believe this is actually the first time Soul Nomad has been rereleased...

I'm excited for those! I never played Soul Nomad and never got to finish Phantom Brave (I borrowed it from a friend)

zferolie

Smash Hero

Excited for 6, amd happy to see those 2 classics being released. I wobder if the phantom brave is the psp remake

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Well, going back here to tell that recently I have been on a Disgaea marathon, playing the DS version Hours of Darkness and Prinny 1 on PSP and recently been into Disgaea RPG and it's really cool that they provide separate mode where you can playout stories from past game (especially 1 where they uses the old portrait sprite), now that is a good fan service!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a head's up, we're rating the chances of a Disgaea rep on the Rate Their Chances thread.

Top Bottom