• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Smash Invitational Bracket Confusion

Midgetto

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain to me how aMSa got to advance to the Finals in the Smash Invitational? Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and he was actually my pick to win the whole thing, but looking back over the footage and the bracket, I really don't understand it. There was that weird vote at 1:31:30 between Olimar and Mario that I can't really make heads or tails of, especially considering neither of them ever even played in the same pool together.

I wrote out the full bracket beneath if that helps at all, but as far as I can tell it was just a fluke.

Here's the full video of the tournament:
/watch?v=AK8En6dIdAg
(sorry, not enough posts to post full links. Just paste that guy onto the end YouTube.)

From the bracket, it seems pretty simple:
First round: Greninja, Olimar, Little Mac, Zelda (starts at 23:40)
Winners: Olimar by stocks, Little Mac by KOs
Fan favorite: Greninja

Second round: Bowser, Zero Suit, Rosalina, Fox (32:30)
Winners: Zero Suit by stocks, Fox by KOs (after a fan vote)
Fan favorite: Fox. (I think they messed up here. There was supposed to be a full, four-person fan vote to decide this, but they neglected it.)

Third round: Wii Fit Trainer, Mario, Pit, Marth (40:00)
Winners: Mario by stocks, Wii Fit Trainer by KOs
Fan favorite: Marth

Fourth round: Mega Man, Villager, Kirby, Pikachu (48:35)
Winners: Kirby by stocks, Villager by KOs
Fan favorite: Mega Man

First Semi-final round: Olimar, Little Mac, Zero Suit, Rosalina (1:13:10)
Winners: Zero Suit by stocks, Rosalina by KOs (after a fan vote)
Fan favorite: Rosalina. (Again, I think this was a mistake. They never did an official, four-person fan-favorite vote, so I think Rosalina lost her place in the finals due to the staff thinking this vote was only for the FF bracket.)

Second Semi-final round: Kirby, Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager (1:21:15)
Winners: Kirby by stocks, Wii Fit Trainer by KOs
Fan favorite: Mario

It's pretty obvious from the bracket so far that the Finals should have been:
Final round: Zero Suit, Rosalina, Kirby, and Wii Fit Trainer
But instead, they ended up
Final round: Zero Suit, Olimar, Kirby, and Wii Fit Trainer

Obviously, I'm over-thinking all of this and it isn't a huge deal, but I can't help feeling sorry for KDJ playing Rosalina, who got pigeonholed into the Fan Favorite Bracket instead of taking his rightful place in the Finals. Any additional thoughts? I'm not wrong about this, am I?

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I was also confused when this happened during the invitational. Would be nice to get it clarified.

As you said, no big deal, but yeah, not knowing is never funny.

Top Bottom