• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash in 2007: Year in Review

JPOBS

Smash Hero
man, being a tourny smasher must be so awsome. I mean, those are memories in the making, looks like good stuff.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
We don't play on big TVs for several reasons:

1. They lag and some are completely unplayable.
2. They take up too much room in crowded venues.
3. We can just use projectors.
4. Who would want to to lug around a huge TV to a tournament they are traveling several hours to get to?
Oh, I see. Makes since. Ah well, so much for playing like that.... But as long as you guys had fun.

moose878

Smash Rookie
I'm just new to smashboards, even though I have been playing smash brothers for a long time. Anyways, after seeing some of these pictures, I think that it'd be cool to be in a tournament but I'm a bit...uneasy with some aspects of it. Such as sleeping in foreign places etc etc. Anyways, my real question here is where does the money that people win from the tournaments come from...? Is this any kind of fundraiser? Also, I live in Canada so does anyone know if there are a lot of Tournaments in Canada (Ontario btw). Anyways, thanks, and hi to everyone !

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'm just new to smashboards, even though I have been playing smash brothers for a long time. Anyways, after seeing some of these pictures, I think that it'd be cool to be in a tournament but I'm a bit...uneasy with some aspects of it. Such as sleeping in foreign places etc etc. Anyways, my real question here is where does the money that people win from the tournaments come from...? Is this any kind of fundraiser? Also, I live in Canada so does anyone know if there are a lot of Tournaments in Canada (Ontario btw). Anyways, thanks, and hi to everyone !
There is a Canada scene. I think Kage is from your area, but I'm not sure. Someone would be better to answer that particular question.

As to address your second question about money. Often times, the prize money comes from the player via an entry fee. So for example, I could charge 15$ per person at a tourny, and then divide it up 3 ways, and thus I have a prize.

To elaborate on a larger scale:

We could potentially raise the entry fee if we are expecting a very large attendance. It isn't uncommon for the larger tournies to charge a larger fee (such as 50$ or whatever).

Another option is to hold a type of bi-/tri/quad-/etc- weekly tournament series, in an effort to raise money for the larger tournament that you would host. Let me give an example.

Innsomnia V (INNV). In the south, before Zane got involved more with life, he would host bi-weeky tournaments, where he would take a cut of the total entry fee and set it aside. After accumulating several bi-weeklies' worth of money, he would then announce a much much larger tournament, which would also include it's own seperate fee. Then he would add the saved up money from the bi-weeklies, to the extra pot that would be obtained from the entrants.

So obtaining money for these tournaments is not at all hard. Granted though, the larger the tournament, the more expectations there are of the director from the entrants. Things like a large venue, food, drinks, housing, etc are quite often expected in some shape or form. These are all about seperate fees, but I won't elaborate because you should get the point.

As far as staying with strangers. Yes, at first it does feel extremely weird lol. This is why, however, we stay with people that are popular. So, for example, you wouldn't really want to stay with a guy that has an account made in '08, or hell probably not in '07 either just because of the unfamiliarity. People attend tournaments, they meet the same people over and over, they gain their trust, and then you're good to go.

Staying with fellow smashers is much much better than having to buy out hotel rooms and such.

I hope I answered some of your questions. :)

Ojanya

Smash Ace
*Sighs* another noob...

Husband is a personal trainer. Ken is an art major. M3D, a video game producer. AlphaZealot, an architecture major. JV3x3, a professional poker player; and I could go on forever.

Noobs, like yourself, equate an interest, in this case Melee, as a person's sole makeup. Realize that Melee is a small facet of a smasher's lives. They are a student, a brother, a friend, etc. When you grow older, I hope you learn that adults are not seen as nouns (smasher, lawyer) but as adjectives (compassionate, charismatic).

If winning a lot of money, traveling with friends, and doing something you enjoy is nerdy, then, I am proud to be a nerd.

BTW, Amazing Writeup AZ; Sticky It.
Well said.

I loved this thread, it brought back so many memories. I sure hope that 2008 is just as good.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Good recap, AlphaZealot. Of course, this is expected from you. Oh, and do most tournaments usually last a couple days?

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
As for myself, I co-coordinated smashboard's largest tournament at the time, MOAST 3. I worked 10 tournaments for Major League Gaming over a 2 year period.
Wow. That's sad. I hope you don't put that on your MySpace profile.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dogenzaka: You post almost 4 times a day on a Smash website. Even I don't do that (just under 2 posts per day).

Also, working MLG tournaments is the ****, and being able to hold large tournaments is a huge task, its something to be proud of after you've held a successful tournament.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
AlphaZealot, do you pros call any of the pros by their nicknames in real life? That would be awesome.:bee:

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
100th post, woohoo. Tournaments look like a lot of fun, but I live too far away from any tournaments i've heard of, so I can't go to them :(

I'm sure there is going to be online tournaments though, and I look forward to doing those instead!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
AlphaZealot, do you pros call any of the pros by their nicknames in real life? That would be awesome.:bee:
Generally people do refer to others by their Smashboard names / gamertags at tournaments. It's not always the case though. In smaller, more local settings, the use of real names is more frequent.

goodkid

Smash Lord
This is a very good history lesson AlphaZealot. I didn't know there were so many tournaments in my area and in general. I plan on attending more Brawl tourneys in the future and this is a good insight. Thanks alot.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'd say most of the time players call each other by their handle instead of their real names. I use real names and handles about evenly among people whose real names I actually do know. Shrug.

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the lesson, AlphaZealot. This thread has definately given me a whole new appreciation for competetive Smash. I had no idea it was this big! Plus, now I can finally put faces to the many different names (M2K, Pc Chris, etc.) that I had only read about prior in all my research. This really looks like an awesome thing to be apart of. I hope I can be invovled in some way as well when I finally get Brawl.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, that tio / tia website is really amazing.

I mean... excellent job AZ :). Glad to see there's a positive reception aside from the occasional moron.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Dogenzaka: You post almost 4 times a day on a Smash website.
Your point?
Because it takes me more than 8 seconds to type this, amirite?

Sorry guys, I apologize if I started a hussle.

Anyways, it does look like you guys had fun at the tournament.

HugS said:
I have 2,300+ posts on a Smash forum. I have nothing better to do.
Hay look I can make up imaginary quotes too. INSTAKILL!

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
Regularly spending the day at video game tournaments makes you a dork. This is only a bad thing if you let yourself think it is. I personally don't.

This is a really great thread. I learned a lot about the Smash tourny scene. Nice work!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Wow. That's sad. I hope you don't put that on your MySpace profile.
:laugh: MySpace. People still have it?

A majority of the tournaments out there are a 1-day event. However, some of the larger ones like Pound and FC take 2-3 days.
NINTENDUUUDEEEEE get MSN. AIM sucks.

Check out the Canada board in the Regional Forum. There's an Ontario topic. Ontario has one of the larger communities in Canada. Don't worry about sleeping over, that's for the big 2 or 3 day tournaments. There are plenty of smaller tournaments that happen locally. The money is from entrance fees. Usually it's like $10 to enter. It's great fun so well worth the $10!

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
rofl. Is it just me, or towards the end there's a lot of people who were clearly too exhausted to think about where or how they were falling asleep? I mean...Azen is sleeping in a tux...two guys are lying on a mattress in some hall...and Forward is just sleeping on the floor, and from the looks of it not far from where the actual tournament is going on.

XD

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
100th post, woohoo. Tournaments look like a lot of fun, but I live too far away from any tournaments i've heard of, so I can't go to them :(

I'm sure there is going to be online tournaments though, and I look forward to doing those instead!
same here its almost impossible to go to any i know of.... GA stinks. I live to far away from everywhere....

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Th pic where the guy has a ski mask on, a coat and its 10pm in NOVEMBER with no windows!!!!!AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA. Truly good times!

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
same here its almost impossible to go to any i know of.... GA stinks. I live to far away from everywhere....
Georgia has tournaments fairly often, usually around Atlanta or Columbus. Getting 4 Stocked 5 is coming up on March 1st, here's the topic for it: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=139037

Edit: Also, great read AZ. Kinda disappointed that the shoe picture was from SMYM6 and not 7, I spent too long looking for my shoes before noticing that >_>

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
Great job AlphaZealot.

You should bring to the Brawl boards your other threads regarding MLG or stuff from the tournament scene of 2004-2006 so more people can get to know about the big growth Melee has experienced and the awesome side of its competitive scene which is more than just playing Smash. =)

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Georgia has tournaments fairly often, usually around Atlanta or Columbus. Getting 4 Stocked 5 is coming up on March 1st, here's the topic for it: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=139037

Edit: Also, great read AZ. Kinda disappointed that the shoe picture was from SMYM6 and not 7, I spent too long looking for my shoes before noticing that >_>
see... SEE!!! they all happen 2-5 hours away from me... I live in savannah

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Joey: See that picture of Soap driving the van with no window? That was a 5 hour car ride from Ohio to Illinios (or maybe it was Indiana, shrug, we did both trips actually for two different tournaments within like a month of each other). There are likely players within a 30 minute drive of you, you simply need to post in the regional rooms that your looking for players.

Top Bottom