• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Smash God's Epic 2000th Post Luigi Guide

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so, more so a trap if they DI the right way. If they crouch cancel the jab I think it works better.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
There are not many. Up B is a really good punish and useful for reads, but it isn't easy to set up (especially on FD). There are specific circumstances where it is a good punish, like when sheik recovers on stage. Sometimes you can use the weak nair on fast fallers to set up an aerial up b, but it is much weaker than the grounded version. Look for punishes on laggy recoveries (Falco/ Fox Side B if the miss space it, Sheik up b, etc).

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
It's cause he reads how the opponent will react to a jab, and punishes by Shoryuken. It's not a guaranteed combo, since the opponent can get out of it, but it is a frame trap if the opponent reacts wrong I think. It's a surprise so Abate can get a lot of people with it.

SoulBoundX

Smash Cadet
It's cause he reads how the opponent will react to a jab, and punishes by Shoryuken. It's not a guaranteed combo, since the opponent can get out of it, but it is a frame trap if the opponent reacts wrong I think. It's a surprise so Abate can get a lot of people with it.
Okay. I just watched him play some more. He doesn't hit confirm the jab into up B, he simply just inputs jab into up B. Why jab before up B though? Why not just up B? Is it for the hit stun?

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hit stun, and to see if they shield. Cause Up B on Shield can be punished.

SoulBoundX

Smash Cadet
Hit stun, and to see if they shield. Cause Up B on Shield can be punished.
But it doesn't look like abate takes his time to see if they sheild or not. In his match with duck at tbh5 he jabbed and up B'ed his sheild. Do you have time to see if they'll sheild after a jab?

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
If you approach with a jab>grab 5 times in a row, they might not shield the jab anymore. It's like conditioning the opponent. If an opponent crouch cancels a lot, then you can use jab>up b to punish. But if they shield more often than not then you can't.

And you can react to them shielding the jab, but you have to have good reaction time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom