• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Roster Thread

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
In a perfect world, this is how I would envision the Smash 5 roster.

Smash Switch Dream Roster Roster.png

Mario (with Odyssey moves and Dr. Mario Alt Costume)
Luigi (with Luigi's Mansion and M&L moves, Dr. Luigi Alt Costume)
Peach (with Daisy Alt Costume)
Bowser
Rosalina & Luma
Bowser Jr. (with paintbrush moves and Koopaling Alt Costumes)
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Link (with BotW moves, Oot, TP, and HW Alt Costumes)
Zelda (with BotW moves, Oot, TP and HW Alt Costumes)
Shiek
Toon Link (with Wind Waker/Spirit Tracks moves)
Ganondorf (OoT/Hyrule Warriors moves)
Pikachu (with Pichu Alt Costume)
Charizard
Lucario
Greninja
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Kirby
Dedede
Metaknight
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Samus (Samus Returns Suit)
Zero Suit Samus
Ice Climbers
Ness (with Lucas Alt Costume)
Pit (with Dark Pit Alt Costume)
Palutena
Shulk
Marth (with Lucina, Roy, and Chrom Alt Costumes)
Ike
Robin
Corrin
Captain Falcon (with Black Shadow Alt Costume)
Villager
Olimar (with Alf Alt Costume)
Little Mac
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt Dog
Game&Watch
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii Fighters
Sonic
Megaman
Pacman
Cloud
Ryu
Snake
Bayonetta

Mario
Captain Toad (with Cap. Toadette Alt Costume)

Yoshi
Kamek

Wario
Waluigi

DK
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

Legend of Zelda
Impa (Hyrule Warriors Appearance)
Midna (Imp Form, True Form Final Smash)
Skullkid

Pokemon
Decidueye

Kirby
Bandana Dee
Marx

Starfox
Krystal
Andross (Starfox Zero Appearance)

Metroid
Ridley (Samus Returns Appearance)
Dark Samus (MP3 Appearance, with MP2 Alt Costume)

Mother
Masked Man

Kid Icarus
Medusa

Xenoblade
Rex & Pyra

Fire Emblem
New Character (FE Switch)

Wonderful 101
Wonder Red (with Wonder Blue, Green, Pink, White, Yellow, and Black Alt Costumes)

Chibi Robo
Chibi Robo

Dillon's Rolling Western
Dillon

Arms
Springman (With Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara, Twintelle, and Kid Cobra Alt Costumes)

Custom Robo
Ray 01

Golden Sun
Isaac

Splatoon
Inklings

Rhythm Heaven
Chorus Kids

Mysterious Muramasa Castle
Takamaru

Nintendo Labo
Labo Bot

Super Mario RPG
Geno

Third Party
Crash Bandicoot

Banjo & Kazooie

Rayman

Shovel Knight

Shantae

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619

I've actually made an entire video detailing my ideal/predicted roster. I've even included all the custom outfits that make the character change who they are (ex. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings), and given each character their own unique victory theme.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Guess I'll post my dream roster here ^^ The ones at the bottom are alternate costumes.

I avoid prediction cuts since I wouldn't be thrilled if one occured. However, if Starfy and Rabbid Peach weren't clear enough indicators, this roster isn't made to be awfully realistic XD

Edit: Damn I forgot Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Notes:
New characters are in red
The two at the bottom are pipe dreams, but if they did get announced I that they'd produce the same amount of hype as Snake, or Cloud
Ganon has an updated move-set
Zelda & Link are their Botw incarnations
Samus has an updated move-set
Falco has an updated move-set

Attachments

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice

https://imgur.com/a/8ZZsF

Tried to make a reasonably realistic roster, staying shy of 70 characters. The 3rd Parties are honestly up in the air and I don't have strong preferences, but I picked 2 that could drive hype effectively, with the Hunter being a fairly easy business deal to strike as well with 2 Capcom characters already in Smash 4. I cut the Mii Fighters due to them being phased out right now and taking way too much dev time for how low priority they likely are, Dr Mario for being a low priority clone (Dark Pit has Sakurai bias and FE Warriors and Heroes show that Intelligent Systems will likely strongarm Lucina into the game anyway), and Roy for similar reasons.

Last edited:

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice

Here's my roster as of March 30th.
I'm open to a few alternate choices like I listed in the image, but there are others that I'm fine with not making it in if someone else does. For example, I'm always going to be a Ridley supporter, but at this point, I'd take Dark Samus.
Honestly, I don't think there are many characters they could add that I'd be disappointed with aside from Minecraft Steve & Goku.

17 Newcomers:
Captain Toad [or Paper Mario]
Waluigi
Vaati
K Rool [or Dixie]
Decidueye
Ridley
Rex & Pyra
Bandana Dee [or Marx[
Celica [or any new FE rep]
Excite Biker [or any retro]
Black Shadow [if they rework Ganondorf]
Inkling
Spring Man
Dillon
Chibi Robo
Rayman
Geno [or other Square rep]

Updated Roster June 14th

Whew, okay, so this time around, I'm not expecting as many newcomers, though I think about 10 (including Inkling, Daisy, & Ridley) for the base game is a fair amount.

I think we'll see a lot of characters that Sakurai thought about adding in previous installments making their way into Ultimate.
I do want an ARMs character, but I'm anticipating that being the first DLC. Hopefully a lot of the other characters in my first list can find their way into the roster through DLC as well.

*Note, its 71 Character Slots, not 71 Characters based on Sakurai's numbering system from the E3 Direct. Also accidentally forgot Shulk.

Dixie [or K Rool]
Chrom [or Celica/Any other FE rep]
Marshall [or any Rhythm Heaven rep]
Decidueye [or any Gen 7 rep]
Dillon [or Chibi Robo?]
Rayman [please no Rabbids]
Geno [my last long time wishlist character]
Simon Belmont [honestly only put him in because of the leak, so I'd be fine with him not making it in]

FINAL PREDICTION

final-predict.png

Okay, so I'm pretty sure the next direct will be the last in terms of character reveals, and I'm expecting no more than 5.

I wasn't sold on Shadow as an Echo because of arbitrary rules I made up, but the reveal of Richter was enough to convince me its happening. I also see Isabelle happening as an Echo.

I don't think I need to explain Geno with the amount of fan service we've gotten in Ultimate.
I'm expecting at least 1 more new franchise rep, & with Marshall/Rhythm Heaven being planned for Sm4sh, I think Sakurai will try to make that happen this time.
As I said, I expect the next direct to be the final for character reveals, & I see no bigger way to go out than Banjo Kazooie. Like LeBron coming home to Cleveland in 2014, this could be a huge moment. (Alternatively, they could go with Crash and recreate the original commercial, but Banjo seems more viable)

Now if there ARE more than 5 characters, I could see Elma, Dillon, & Dixie as viable options. These could also be considered for DLC.

That's it, I'm done making rosters, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and that's okay.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

I'm open to a few alternate choices like I listed in the image, but there are others that I'm fine with not making it in if someone else does. For example, I'm always going to be a Ridley supporter, but at this point, I'd take Dark Samus.
Honestly, I don't think there are many characters they could add that I'd be disappointed with aside from Minecraft Steve & Goku.

17 Newcomers:
Waluigi
Vaati
K Rool [or Dixie]
Decidueye
Ridley
Rex & Pyra
Bandana Dee [or Marx[
Inkling
Spring Man
Dillon
Chibi Robo
Rayman

I really like your roster, it's both realistic and crowd-pleasing. My only real complaint is that your base roster's a little weird. Having 2 Xenoblade characters unlocked from the start and Toon Link (I know he was a starter in the last game, but it's still odd) is pretty strange.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

17 Newcomers:
Waluigi
Vaati
K Rool [or Dixie]
Decidueye
Ridley
Rex & Pyra
Bandana Dee [or Marx[
Inkling
Spring Man
Dillon
Chibi Robo
Rayman

I really like this roster (I'd go with the Paper Mario version instead of Captain Toad).

My only (personal) gripe with it is Rayman, which is one of the very few characters I actively want out. I loathe his design too much ^^'

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I'm gonna go for more idealistic than realistic for my roster. Realistically, I expect around 75 characters, but my roster features far more than that. I decided to go for a challenge: my roster must bring back EVERY character in Smash History. No cuts whatsoever! Although more a wishlist then predictions, I will give each character a likeliness grade by putting their name in either green ('very likely' to 'fairly possible'), yellow ('fairly possible' to 'possible'), or red ('unlikely' to 'don't hold your breath!'). So without further ado, here's the STARTING ROSTER

50 characters! That's already 8 away from the FULL ROSTER of Smash Bros 4!
Here are the starting veterans (38 total)
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi
Kirby
King Dedede
Wario
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Lin
k
Zelda
Shiek

Toon Link
Pit
Palutena
Fox
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Villager
Ice Climbers
Olimar
Captain Falcon
Wii Fit Trainer
Lucas
Lucina

Corrin
Robbin

Ike
Pikachu

Squirtle
Greninja
Pac Man
Ryu
Mega Man
Sonic

Bayonetta

And here are the 12 newcomers in the starting roster.
Captain Toad- Super Mario Galaxy, Captain Toad- Treasure Tracker
This little guy has gotten much popular over the years, starring in his own game on Wii U, which sold over 1 million units and is now being ported to both 3DS and Switch. I think to promote the port, they would feature him as a starter character.

Bandanna Dee- Kirby Super Star, Kirby Return to Dreamland
Another spinoff character from a staple NPC, this guy got popular by being "#4" iin the Kirby game on Wii. He has seen a huge push from HAL Labs, being the first Dream Friend in Kirby Star Allies, and giving him a lot of merchandise. He is arguably now a staple of the Kirby series.

Dixie Kong- Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country- Tropical Freeze
Planned for Brawl, Dixie has been a popular character throughout the past 20 years due to her unique hair abilities. She was also the star of DKC3 and a huge selling point of the most recent DKC, which is also getting a port on Switch. This is a fairly safe pick, which appeals to many ages and demographics.

Spring Man
- ARMS
ARMS is a new series from Nintendo that has sold fairly well, but what makes games sell even better? Putting their characters in Smash Bros! Spring Man may be generic in his own game, but compared to all other Smashers he is quite unique!

Inkling- Splatoon, Splatoon 2
Well, they're already confirmed, so... onto the next!

Decidueye- Pokemon Sun, Pokemon Moon
The most popular starter of the newest games, but you could switch this guy out for a gen 8 or Buzzswole and have the same effect. But a new Pokemon is always expected in every Smash game!

Karate Joe- Another interchangeable character, prime substitutes are Marshal or Chorus Kids. I think it's high time for RH to get a character, and Sakurai thinks so too, apparently.

Bomber Man- Bomber Man, Super Bomber Man R
The first 3rd party newcomer, who goes way back to 1983! This party puzzle series has been on nearly every Nintendo system, was a launch title on Switch, and even crossed over with Wario before on Game Boy!

Rayman- Rayman, Rayman Legends
Rayman is the mascot of Ubisoft, one of the biggest 3rd parties out there. He's been on every Nintendo system since his inception, and his spin off characters crossed paths with Mario. In order to promote both Rayman Legends on Switch and Mario + Rabbids, Rayman is a starter character.

Crash Bandicoot- Crash Bandicoot
This guy gave Mario a run for his money back in the 1990s, but since the GameCube days he has been on the plumbers side. With the trilogy putting him back into action, this icon of gaming is also a starter.

Steve- Minecraft
Ok, hear me out... Minecraft is one of THE biggest games EVER, and it's now on Switch. It's played by children and adults around the world. The importance of Minecraft (especially to the casual audience) would draw many people to Smash Bros, so those players would want to play as Steve out of the box.

Shovel Knight
- Shovel Knight
If were gonna represent the modern indie game, it's gotta be this blue bomber. This game exploded in popularity, and is even published by Nintendo in Japan. To advertise the Nindies, SK is a starter.

That's enough characters for an entire game, but were just getting started!

But once you start playing classic mode and quite a few multiplayer matches, the characters start rolling in...

There are 43 unlockable characters!
Here are the 24 unlockable veterans;
Dr. Mario
Rosalina & Luma
Meta Knight
Ganondorf

Young Link
Falco
Wolf
Dark Pit

Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt
Ness
Little Mac
Marth

Roy
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Charizard

Ivysaur
Pichu

Lucario
Shulk

Snake
Cloud
And now we get into the unlockable newcomers, and boy, is it a wild ride from here...
Here are the 19 unlockable newcomers
Geno- Super Mario RPG
Sakurai has considered this character 3 times in Smash History; Brawl, Smash 4,and Smash 4 DLC. He knows the demand is there, so Geno would be an amazing secret surprise for thew Mario RPG superfans!

Thwomp- Super Mario Bros 3, Mario Party- The Top 100
This will never happen, but it's a personal favorite of my friends and I. Maybe a joke character someday? But in Llorts dream roster, he is already a Smasher!

Adeline- Kirby Dreamland 3, Kirby 64- The Crysral Shards
This pick comes purely from my love of Kirby 64. I think an art based moveset would be a great unique fighter!

Waluigi- Mario Tennis, Mario Tennis Aces
This character is so zany and hilarious, that its kind of a crime that he hasnt been playable yet. Release him from the shackles of the assist trophy!

Ashley- Wario Ware, Wario Ware Gold
This witch is one of the most recognizable characters from the Wario Ware sub-series. Shes could be a very good hex casting fighter that more dangerous than she looks!

Cranky Kong- Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country- Tropical Freeze
The other breakout hero from DKC-TF, Cranky actually participates in the adventure! C'mon, how can you NOT want to see Cranky scold Mario for his games being too easy!

King K. Rool- Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong 64
When you hear talk about Smash Bros, this guy is everywhere while not being anywhere! He can get in by hype and moveset alone, despite the prolonged hiatus. What better surprise than to find the #2 most requested character in Smash History! I say #2, because #1 may show up soon...

Midna- The Legend of Zelda- Twilight Princess, Hyrule Warriors
I feel she can be exchanged with any other popular Zelda character, like Tingle, Skull Kid or the Champions. But Midna is still popular after 10 years and has amazing move potential!

Impa- The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, The Leged of Zelda- Breath of the Wild
Ok, not the old lady form, but the badass ninja form! Shes the only recurring Zelda character besides Tingle that inst in Smash Bros yet.

Ridley- Metroid, Metroid Prime
Hey, look, it's that #1 we were talking about! Sakurai has considered and shot down Ridley time after time after time, but he may change his time this time around! And this is my list, so I can put him here either way.

Sylux- Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime 3
This freaky alien... thing has been chasing Samus across the galaxy for quite a while now. With him stealing a Metroid at the end of Federation Force, its quite likely that he will be the big bad of Metroid Prime 4 for Switch

Takumaru- The Mysterious Murusame Castle
Considered for both Melee and Smash 4, mayeb Takumaru will be this game's retro pick. He is quite popular within the Smash community nowadays as well.

Black Shadow- F Zero X, F Zero GX
One of F Zero's many crazy bad guys, I see him adopting Ganondorfs moveset, assuming he FINALLY gets one that does him justice. Also, more F Zero is always a good thing!

Isaac- Golden Sun
That one other thing that Camelot was known for besides Mario Tennis. Demand has been high for quite a while now!

James Bond- Goldeneye 007
Yeah, never gonna happen in real life, but if there's ONE non game character that deserves to be in Smash, it's Bond (sorry Goku). Goldeneye is one of the best selling N64 games, it was published by Nintendo, and it shook up the industry for years to come! I can dream, can I?

Doomguy- DOOM, DOOM
FPS games are the biggest genre in gaming right now. They make the most noise, get the most attention, hell, my little brother is playing Fortnite as we speak on the PS4 that he didn't pay for. All this is thanks to one game called DOOM. Who wouldn't wanna see Kirby with a chainsaw?

Banjo & Kazooie- Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie
These guys went from Shoo in to pipe dream, but now they're technically possible! All that needs to happen is for Nintendo to say "yes".

Master Chief- Halo, Halo 5
Doomguy made the genre, but Master Chief took it to a whole new level; online! It may seem odd, but as far as icons go, Master Chief can only get topped by Sonic, Pac Man, and Mario themselves.

Scorpion- Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat X
I can convince you with just 5 simple words;
Mortal Kombat VS Sreet Fighter.
Yeah, only a few of those unlockable newcomers seems likely, but playing the new Smash and seeing them in the "challenger approaching" screen would be pretty awesome!

And that concludes the full dream roster, with a grand total of 93 characters!

Here is some other information I would like to add

Revamped Movesets
Mario- Odyssey inspired, old moveset lives on in Dr. Mario
Link- BOTW inspired, old moveset lives on in Toon Link
Ganondorf- Hyrule Warriors inspired, old moveset lives on in Black Shadow
Wolf
Wario- Wario Land inspired
Dark Pit- Gets Pits Brawl moveset
Young Link- Majoras Mask moveset

If you actually read all this; congratulations! If you have any questions, comments, or reasons why I'm wrong, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet

Personally this is what I would like to see.
Total Roster Size: 70

Characters in red are newcomers:
1. Paper Mario
2. King K
3. Mona
4. Impa
5. Ridley (assuming they could work out the resizing)
6. Fire Emblem Switch character
7. Bandana Dee
8. Rex/Pyra
9. Decidueye
10. Excite Biker
11. Urban Champion
12. Balloon Fighter
13. Inklings
14. Spring Man (Ribbon Girl as alt skins)
15. Isaac
16. Chibi-Robo
17. Dillon
18. Wonder Red
19. Karate Joe
20. Andy
21. Banjo-Kazooie
22. Rayman

Cut these characters:
1. Dr. Mario (or make skin)
2. Lucina (or make skin)
3. Dark Pit (or make skin)
4. Mii Gunner
5. Mii Brawler
6. Mii Swordsman
7. Bayonetta
8. Ryu
9. Cloud
10. Roy

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

This is my ideal roster, I'd like characters like Wonder Red and a rhythm heaven rep too but I wanted to keep it organized so I wasn't able to add them

This is half prediction/half wishful thinking

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

So this is a sorta challenge I gave myself to find 100 characters I'd like to see in my ideal roster. Joker and Hat Kid are probably my most biased picks that will never happen. I tried sorting everyone by company, but I might've messed up a couple third parties. The question marks are just for a Gen 8 Pokemon and a FE16 lord and they're more of what's likely to happen than what I want in an ideal roster.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
5Roster.png

My roster is a blend of what is most expected, with my own flare here and there.

I fully expect Wolf and Ice Climbers to return. I cut the three clones. I think at least Dr. Mario and Lucina can come back, and I expect clones in the next game, but I feel those are a bit harder to predict.

I'm betting on Midna & Wolf Link and Captain Toad to make an appearance. And after consideration, I added both Dixie and K. Rool, though I feel Dixie would be added before K. Rool. I'm putting a FE placeholder there; it'll either be Celica or a new protagonist. Takamaru is the retro spot, but retro characters can go any way honestly.

As for third parties, I think Ryu would be the most in danger; I think it'd be dumb to let Cloud or Bayonetta go, but licensing may be an issue. I added Crash and Sora. Crash I think holds a very good chance to make an appearance. As for Sora, total bias showing. I just want him in the game... I'm also hoping for an E3 announcement that KH3 is coming to the Switch, but whatever. He's a pipedream; if I'd have to put another third party in his place, I'd put Shovel Knight (is he third party?).

Honorable Mentions: Waddle Dee, Isabelle, Chibi-Robo, Banjo & Kazooie, Shovel Knight

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Copy and Pasted from the general discussion thread.

UPDATE: Added back Cloud and Mii Fighters, and replaced Ryu Hayabusa with Simon Belmont.

NO CUTS

RETURNING VETS

ICE CLIMBERS-
No Duh. They were intended to be in the game but couldn't because the 3DS couldn't handle 8 of them and possibly 8 player Smash on the Wii U version. There pretty much a lock...... unless 8 Player smash still can't handle them.

WOLF- Highly wanted to come back. He didn't for some reason. I'm guessing because in general Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were much more requested compared to him as mentioned in the interview. And of course the DLC wanted to focus on new characters for DLC. Less likely to come back compared to Ice Climbers but still has a great shot.

NEWCOMERS

King K. Rool
- Still a highly requested character, and even was acknowledge with that distinctive Mii Costume. Also a want of mine.

Skull Kid-
He's pretty popular and my personal Zelda Newcomer Pick. They'll probably go with Impa but I'm being less safe after the end of the Smash 4 DLC speculation.

Ridley- Like King K. Rool, Very requested and his time might shine now. Also Vergeben's leak and other ones too that have been collaborated.

Takamaru- The most likely retro rep. He was considered for SSB4 but because his game wasn't localized, he was scraped. Now now that his game is out globally that obstacle is now crossed.

Decidueye- Each Smash game has had a Pokemon newcomer from the latest gen before Smash is released. I'm leaning on Gen 7, but possibly gen 8 if it's revealed around E3 and was developed before the roster for Smash Switch was finalized.

Rex & Pyra- Probably the safest bet here. Xenoblade is growing in popularity and there's no doubt the game started development before the Smash Switch Roster was finalized.

Rhythm Heaven Character- There was an icon discovered from datamining, so it's one of the new IPs that will be added IMO.

Dillon- Another possible new IP. And there's a new game out right now. He was an assist trophy and we seen them become playable.

Inklings- Confirmed

Lloyd Irving- Oh boy I'm probably going to get stoned here(at least I didn't put Goku). My most wanted newcomer and my pick for 2nd rep from Namco. He was added as a DLC Mii Costume. The Tales Series is still the 3rd most popular RPG series and it's growing more popular globally too(Tales of Links and Tales of The Ray mobile games were localized).

Simon Belmont
- Changed Ryu to Simon after a more credible leak emerged.

71 Character Roster

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Post August Direct Update:
I've decided to start my roster prediction over, as a lot has changed. I have two different predictions, categorized by which they would look more aesthetically appealing as (the most logical way to organize you character rosters). This of course gets screwed over by combining echoes, but lets not talk about that.

8 More newcomers, 4 more unique, 4 more echo, 16 total newcomers. This roster is organized by number like the site, which will probably be the way it is organized (although I hate the idea of splitting echoes between rows. Thankfully doesn't happen in this arrangement).

Ultimate Roster.png

10 More newcomers, 5 more unique, 5 more echo, 18 total newcomers. Organized by series, and it fits PERFECTLY and BEAUTIFULLY. Seriously, Mario, Zelda and Pokemon having 8 character slots is just too perfect. I don't think the CSS will be organized this way, but there might be an option to at least. Echoes would wreck it though. Just added Chorus Kids and Medusa echo to balance the CSS out.

Series Roster.png

Now for some brief reasoning, categorized by series.
Mario - Complete. Besides Waluigi & Toad I can't see what characters would need to be added. An argument could be made for Paper Mario, but I don't see it. I'm also not certain Geno would be considered a "Mario Series" character, and if he would then he would screw up my perfect CSS.
Donkey Kong - It's not complete until we get Dixie, even if she's an echo. Feels insane to have the antagonist before one of the major protagonists.
Metroid - Sakurai has spoiled us and I dare not ask for more.
Zelda - Impa is the most likely echo imo (Easy clone and Hyrule Warriors released right before the Ballot), and I think we will get a Final Fantasy situation with Skull Kid, where there was a lot of requests for a new Zelda character, and Skull Kid was just one of the highest or has always been a fan favorite. Either way I find his lack of appearance as an AT or with the Moon suspicious. Adding these two would make me a very happy Zelda fan.
Kirby - After the August Famitsu article where Sakurai admits to looking to the Ballot for King K. Rool, I can't see a situation where we don't get Bandanna Dee.
Pokemon - Honestly I just know we are getting a new gen 7 Pokemon. Probably Decidueye or Incineroar. I prefer ghost owls. Oh, we will also probably get a gen 8 pokemon for DLC.
Kid Icarus - Medusa echo is more of a personal desire. But she would make a logical echo, fairly requested character and one of Sakurai's babies. So I can see it happening. No one else from the series though.
Fire Emblem - Wait for DLC.
Sonic - After Richter was revealed, I think Shadow is probably one of the most requested third party characters that could work as an echo. People bring up Ken a lot, but I don't think Ken would have been nearly as requested during Ballot times. Dark Samus has also shown us echoes can get custom movement so we can get hover skates!
Animal Crossing - Isabelle as an echo makes too much sense. She could be unique, but I doubt it.
Xenoblade - I just want to make a point that I just don't think timing was right for Xenoblade. Too early for X to have made much of an impact and no one was really that interested in Elma until Ultimate was announced, and Rex & Pyra are way too late and would fair better as a DLC option.
Other Series - Chorus Kids as Rhythm Heaven rep, as Sakurai has probably worked on their concept already. ARMS for DLC. Isaac...could happen but I don't see it. Didn't even get a unique Mii costume like King K. Rool and Geno, despite Swordsman being a perfect fit for him.
Third Party - I think Geno and Rayman are the most likely, but after all the Ballot stuff I am sticking with Geno. Currently I am only predicting one. If I was predicting two it would be hands down Geno, and then maybe either Rayman or Banjo.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Here's my "ideal" Smash Switch roster, which basically includes my most wanted characters and characters I think would be reasonable additions. 89 characters is obviously way more than what we'd ever get for this installment, but it is an "ideal" roster after all.

And now for some explanations on newcomers and other noteworthy topics:

Lucina and Dark Pit - These clones differ the least from their counterparts compared to all other clones in the series, and I would personally recycle them as alternate costumes instead to make room for new clone characters.

Doctor Mario - Slightly reworked to be less of a Mario clone, still having some moveset similarities.

Paper Mario - My most wanted newcomer. Yet another form of Mario, but his art style and moveset would be incredibly distinctive and unique, so there shouldn't be any issues.

Waluigi - Another reasonable Mario rep, he'd represent the spinoff games well and is a popular pick.

Dixie Kong - I see her as the most likely DK rep, especially with her recent appearance in Tropical Freeze.

King K. Rool - A less likely DK rep, but he's a fan favorite (especially here on Smashboards). He's not very relevant to the series anymore, but he'd fill the villain gap.

Link - I imagine that Breath of the Wild Link, likely named Champion Link, would be the face for Link in the game. This form of Link is confirmed as at least as a costume, if not more. He'd have a moveset very different from normal Link, with maybe a few similarities like having arrows and (remote) bombs. I think it's possible that they would keep normal Link and Toon Link as separate characters, similar to Dr. Mario and Paper Mario, but it's entirely possible that normal Link would just be an alternate costume with Champion Link as the primary costume.

Zelda - I'd like them to use Zelda's new appearance from BotW as well, with the normal Zelda as an alternate costume. Perhaps she would have a somewhat reworked moveset, though nothing substantial.

Ganondorf - Since Ganondorf's human form wasn't present in BotW, I'm not sure if they would change his appearance too much. However, I'd like to see a somewhat reworked moveset, similar to Zelda.

Tingle - Unlikely, but he's a reoccurring character in the series and is a lot more popular in Japan. After seeing the Japan exclusive Tingle games, I think he could have some potential.

Midna - Also unlikely, but she would have a unique playstyle whether she fights alone or atop Wolf Link.

Ridley - Reoccurring Metroid character, and by far one of the most requested characters, ever. I understand Sakurai's concerns, but certainly there's a way to make him work.

Balloon Fighter - The new retro character. I can see him having a fun moveset, plus he's pretty recognizable.

Bandana Dee - Bandana Waddle Dee, or Bandana Dee for short, is one of the few reoccurring characters in the Kirby series. He'd have a unique moveset not yet seen in Smash.

Lyn - I think that whoever the main character for the next mainline Fire Emblem game is more likely to appear, but Lyn is a popular choice in the FE community nonetheless.

Wolf - Different enough from Fox and Falco to be fun, but similar enough to be easy to implement. Lots of fan demand, too.

Ice Climbers - Very likely to return after the whole 3DS mishap of yesteryear. Huge fan demand.

Pichu - Not needed by any means, but he was a fun joke character back in the day and wouldn't take a whole lot of work to build off of Pikachu.

Gardevoir - Not likely at this point, but she's still a popular character and would have a very different moveset compared to the other Poké's.

Decidueye - The fan favorite from the most recent generation, just like Lucario and Greninja. An alternative situation I can see happening is a Gen 8 Pokemon making it in as DLC instead of Decidueye on launch.

Palutena - I would much prefer some of her special moves to be replaced by her far better custom moves. She would be a lot more fun to play that way.

Isabelle - Animal Crossing is a big enough series to get a second rep, and I see either Isabelle or K. K. Slider making the cut. Isabelle has gained a lot more popularity as of late, though.

Rex & Pyra - After playing 30+ hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I can see a lot of potential for these characters. I also find them incredibly likely, considering I've heard that Sakurai was apparently a huge fan of the game.

Tails - Not likely, but if any third-party series is going to get a second rep, it's Sonic. I think Tails is the most likely choice, since he is to Sonic what Luigi is to Mario.

Snake - Unlikely due to the situation with Konami and Kojima, but it would be great to see him return. He had a unique moveset, and he could be considered a gaming icon.

Bomberman - Possible with Super Bomberman R's release on the Switch, has a long history and would be interesting as a character.

Ninten - I, uh, currently main Ness and would like a pseudo-clone. That's my only excuse.

Isaac - I'm not super familiar with Golden Sun, but he's a popular character and could bring some interesting stuff to the table.

Chibi-Robo - He's had a recent entry in his series and could be reworked in the same fashion as Olimar.

Karate Joe - I think that we're long overdue for a Rhythm Heaven rep, and Karate Joe would be the perfect character to do the series justice.

Inklings - Already confirmed. I'm curious to see how their moveset will be implemented.

Helix - My personal favorite ARMS character. I think he would be a lot more interesting than Spring Man, but I think an ARMS character is fairly likely to make it, no matter which one.

Heihachi - Unlikely, but Tekken has gotten really popular lately, so I see him as the most likely Bandai-Namco character to be added after Pac-Man.

Amaterasu - Not a terribly likely Capcom character, but still up there given the recent Okami re-releases.

Phoenix Wright - One of my top picks, and a very recognizable character heavily associated with Nintendo. He could potentially take some inspiration from his Marvel vs. Capcom appearance, but he could just as well be completely reworked. I wouldn't mind either way.

Professor Layton - Like Phoenix, he's another one of my top picks, and he's also a character heavily associated with Nintendo. Level-5's relationship with Nintendo has been great recently, and Akihiro Hino (creator of the series) has shown interest in Layton making an appearance in Smash in the past. (Also I'd love to relive the feeling of the crossover in Smash.)

Shantae - I would consider Shantae to be one of, if not the most likely Indie rep to make it in. This is mainly because of her history with Nintendo. There's been quite a few entries in the series, dating all the way back to the Gameboy days.

Rayman - Ubisoft has recently had a great relationship with Nintendo, going so far as working with Nintendo's big IP's. Rayman is one of Ubisoft's most recognizable characters and recently became a popular fan choice.

Banjo & Kazooie - Technically possible given Microsoft's willingness to collaborate with Nintendo to make it happen, but still unlikely, as much as I'd enjoy it.

Reimu - Not likely by any means, but I enjoy the Touhou series and this would be an unexpected but appreciated character. The series has very little history with Nintendo, but has had a big impact on gaming in general.

Miis - I would love to see Miitopia's Mii classes represented in all of the Mii movesets, but I'd settle with an additional Mage class. If everything went my way, I would have the Mage and Warrior classes be heavily inspired by Miitopia, and rework the Gunner and Brawler classes to fit the Miitopia theme. I would personally remove custom moves and Mii sizes to make them viable in competitive and online play.

Well, I spent more time on this than I thought I would, but it was fun at least.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Might as well post the rosters I made. These aren't predictions, they're more like wishlist rosters, albeit I tried to design them as if I was the director this Smash Bros. and had to work with my game development team to design and build the roster with constrained time and resources. I also believe that Smash Bros. Switch is where we're reaching a point with roster sizes where it's increasingly extraordinarily difficult to achieve a relative balance across characters in combat, so I tried to not add too many characters to any of the rosters.

Red outlines around characters' boxes indicates the character is hidden and unlockable. Green outlines indicate DLC characters.

The spoiler boxes includes additional versions of the character selection screen at the start of the game and with DLC added for each version of the roster.

My first roster has 64 characters before DLC. This roster assumes difficulties with time to create the game and to add and balance characters are more difficult than originally imagined.

64-Character Roster:

Starting Roster

Post-DLC Roster

The next roster I have assumes me and the team have all the time we need on our hands to get a larger, but not terribly large, roster made for Smash Bros. Switch. The base roster that arrives with the game is 72 characters total. DLC results in 77 characters total for Smash Bros. Switch.

72-Character Roster:

Starting Roster

Post-DLC Roster :

Who I cut and added:
Cuts
Dr. Mario
Dark Pit
Lucina
Mii Fighters
Ryu (only in 64-character roster, but he is added back via DLC in that roster)

Additions in 64-Character Roster
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Ridley
Wolf (returning from Brawl)
Lyn
Inklings
Spring Man
Rex & Pyra
Chorus Men
Andy
Takamaru
Decidueye
Rayman

DLC for 64-Character Roster
Toad
Waluigi
Impa
Ganon
Isaac
Ryu
Cloud
Geno
Shovel Knight

Additions in 72-Character Roster
Toad
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Captain Syrup
Ganon
Ridley
Wolf (returning from Brawl)
Lyn
Decidueye
Isabelle
Isaac
Andy
Inklings
Spring Man
Rex & Pyra
Chorus Men
Dillon
Takamaru
Mike Jones
Rayman

DLC for 72-Character Roster
Waluigi
Impa
Cloud
Geno
Shovel Knight

I think I actually would cut out Shovel Knight now that I think of it, but I don't want to go through the trouble of editing all the images and re-uploading them to Imgur again, so just imagine he's not in these rosters if you will.

I might add the reasons for my character decisions later, but not now. PM me if you have any comments.

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
https://imgur.com/a/Vv5Bs

This is the roster that I came up with. Most of the choices are characters that I actually think are going to get in, while a few are some that I want.

First, there are no cuts from Smash 4. I don't think that Sakurai would cut a character that presents a unique moveset that he spent time creating. The only characters that I could see being cut would be the clones and the third parties.

I think that Mario, Link, Ganondorf, and Lucina are going to get major moveset changes. Mario from Mario Odyssey, Link from BOTW, Ganondorf from Hyrule Warriors, and Lucina with her spear and shield. I think these characters will get changed because their movesets need overhauls and they have characters that will play with their current moveset. Mario has Dr. Mario, Link has Toon Link, Ganondorf has Captain Falcon, and Lucina has Marth.

Waluigi: Waluigi represents a certain collection of games that the other Mario characters don't, and that is the Mario Spinoff games. Mario Kart, Mario Sports, and Mario Party. Waluigi is a character that originated in Mario Tennis, so he could use his tennis racket or other sports items like baseball bats and golf clubs.

Ashley: Ashley doesn't have insane moveset potential like Waluigi and some of the other characters, but what she does have is a strange amount of presence. She is one of the only assist trophies that also received a Mii fighter costume.

Impa: I don't know much about Zelda, so Impa could really be changed out for any Zelda character. I personally just like her weapon and think that she could be a cool fighter after playing Hyrule Warriors.

King K. Rool: K. Rool is one of the most requested characters, and Sakurai knows this. The fact that they gave him his own Mii costume shows that he could be put in. I think it's time, and I think we need a third Donkey Kong rep.

Pokemon Rep: With Lucario in Brawl and Greninja in Smash 4, it seems almost confirmed that we're getting a new Pokemon this game. Which one? Who knows. It could be a generation 7 Pokemon like Decidueye, or one from the unreleased generation 8.

Fire Emblem Rep: Same with Pokemon, it seems likely that we're getting a new Fire Emblem rep. Most likely the lord from the newest switch Fire Emblem, hopefully someone with an axe or spear. But, they might throw in an old character like Lyn or Celica.

Hades: We need more villains in Smash, and I think Hades would be one of the best choices. Dude has a lot of personality, and being the king of the underworld, he would be a pretty awesome fighter. I'm expecting a new Kid Icarus game eventually, so to drive up hype they could throw him in.

Ridley: Just put him in already and end the size debate, or don't, I don't care either way. He could honestly go either way. He's in this weird purgatory where on one hand, he's one of the most requested and likely characters, but on the other, he's one of the most hated and difficult characters.

Sylux: With the upcoming Metroid Prime 4, it seems likely that Sylux will play a big role. To drive up hype, I could see them putting him in.

Takamaru: He's one of the assist trophies that also received a Mii costume, so they know he exists. I could see him being the retro representative this time. His game also got released on the 3DS eshop a few years ago. Like Pit in Brawl, I could see him being added and then receiving a series reboot.

Ice Climbers: They got cut from Brawl since they couldn't work on the 3DS. They fact that we know they wouldn't work shows that they were planned. With the 3DS out of the picture, they'll surely be put back in.

Wolf: Not sure why they cut him, but with them adding Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy as DLC, I think they'll add him back.

Rex/Pyra: One of the characters that I'm almost 100% sure that is going to be added. Xenoblade 2 sold really well, and Sakurai expressed how much he liked the game. Xenoblade 2 was one of the switches most successful games that had a new main character, so I think they will want to capitalize on this and add them. They also have a lot of interesting moveset potential.

Elma: I think her inclusion rests solely on whether we get an X port or not. The creator of Xenoblade X has said that he could like to see it get ported to the switch, so it seems it will happen eventually, it just depends on when.

Inkling: Already confirmed, not worth talking about.

Springman: Nintendo has been really pushing ARMS recently, so it would make sense for them to add him to the one series that can push a character like no other. His extendable arms also have a lot of potential, a long range fighter with a lot of lag. You could also replace Springman with any other ARMS character, doesn't matter.

Isaac: Isaac has been a heavily requested character for a long time. He got removed as an assist trophy and hasn't been seen in Smash since, so it's hard to tell if they are just cutting him out or planning to put him in. He has interesting move potential and could hype up a new Golden Sun.

Travis Touchdown: I really don't see him getting in, and this is really the only character on here that doesn't that big of a shot. He isn't out of the running, just unlikely. With his new game coming to switch, they might choose to put him in, but probably not, I just put him in because I want him.

Shovel Knight: I think we're going to get an indie rep this time around. Shovel Knight is the most popular and requested indie character for Smash, and is still relevant years after Smash 4. Although he lost some the shine he had, he is still very likely as the indie rep.

There were a few characters that could have been on of roster that just didn't make it or various reasons.
Chibi-Robo
Rhythm Heaven Rep
Custom Robo Rep

This is my roster prediction going into E3 this year. I'm quite confident in my choices so I want to go over them. There are 17 newcomers in this roster, and a few returning. That may seem like a lot but some like Dixie and Alph are semi clones.

Waluigi: Waluigi, to me, seems like to next obvious Mario character. He is pretty much the face of spin offs. While Mario is the center of these games, Waluigi really embodies what the Mario sports and spinoff games are about. I fully expect him to get over characters like Captain Toad and Daisy. While a lot of people want him as a joke, there are genuine Waluigi fans that want him in this game.

Dixie Kong: She is the third kong, the player three in the games. She makes sense to be added as the third Donkey Kong rep, aside from K. Rool. Her roles have remained consistent throughout all of the Donkey Kong games, and has established herself as a staple. She also seems quite easy to add. Her body structure and most of her attacks are quite similar to Diddy, so they could use him as a base and build off of that. Give her a few unique moves and call it a day.

K. Rool: K. Rool is one of the most requested and loved potential characters. He pretty much always battles it out with Ridley at the top of the polls, and I really can't see him not being added this time. If Sakurai really wasn't aware of the amount of requests for him, he sure if after the ballot. I really don't believe that Bayonetta won the ballot, and while I'm not going to say that K. Rool won, he definitely got close. His mii costume is proof that they know he is wanted, but probably wanted to hold off on him. Relevancy really isn't an issue, since he got characters like Duck Hunt. I'm really, really confident he is going to be added.

Ridley: Now, Ridley is quite an anomaly. He is the most likely, yet most unlikely character. He is the most loved, yet most hated. He pretty much exists on both sides. I'm not totally confident in him, but after the teasing in 4, I think he'll make it. Ridley is the most requested character, and that is pretty obvious. Nintendo would be stupid not to make sure he gets in. Sakurai may not have been able to make him work in the past, but I'm pretty sure he'll find a way. With Metroid Prime 4 coming around, who knows what form Ridley will take, possibly a smaller one? Even if that doesn't come to be true, Sakurai could give him an updated model based on his original appearance, back when he was small. Whatever form he takes, I think he'll get in.

Takamaru: Takamaru is my most confident character in this game. There is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be in this game. Sakurai went out and said that he wanted to add Takamaru, but didn't because of lack of appeal and notoriety in the west. This doesn't matter anymore, now that his game has been released over here. I think the biggest thing though, is that he got his own game in Nintendo Land. He got his own game along side Mario, Link, Samus, and other juggernauts. I think this is an attempt to make Takamaru more well known, in anticipation for his appearance in Smash.

Isaac: Isaac is a weird pick. His complete lack of appearance in Smash 4 left me confused. It didn't make much sense for them not to just take his assist trophy from Brawl and move to 4. I'm sure Sakurai must know the want for Isaac, especially after his removal. Then again, he didn't get a mii costume, which is interesting because they came out around the time of the ballot, and Isaac makes a lot of sense as a mii swordfighter costume. This is my out of left field pick, because Isaac has almost pretty much been erased from Smash.

Elma & Rex/Pyra: I'm putting both of them here because I think the reasons for both of them overlap. Timing is just right for both of them. Xenoblade X was probably hot out of release around the time of the project plan, which makes her prime newcomer material. Rex and Pyra probably had finalized designs and mechanics that would appeal to Sakurai when making a character. I don't think there is really competition between the two, since they are completely different. It is a different situation from one like Chrom vs Lucina, since no matter which one would be added, they would be the same. I think these two are going to both be added.

Lycanroc: Lycanroc has a lot of presence in the Pokemon anime, and is looking to be the next sidekick Pokemon. I'm pretty confident that we'll get a new pokemon, specifically from gen 7, and while there isn't a standout pick, I'm going with Lycanroc. If I had to rank them I'd put Lycanroc at 1st, Decidueye at 2nd, Incineroar at 3rd, and Mimikyu at 4th.

Alph: He is the only named alt costume, so I makes sense that he would be the natural choice to make the jump to a clone character.

Chibi-Robo: Chibi-Robo is one of the only characters left that consistently puts out games that is not in Smash. Chibi-Robo recently got his new game, which probably was around the time of the new Smash's planning phase, so the timing lines up nicely. He was also recently used in a teaser for a Nintendo Direct, which he really wasn't apart of. I'm still not sure why they used him. Chibi-Robo is just kind of there, and puts out games kind of under the radar, and I could see him being added as a last resort type of deal.

Karate Joe: Based on the left over data in Smash 4, the Gematsu leak, and the sneaky spirit in Smash Run, it seemed like a Rhythm Heaven character was planned for Smash 4. Some say it was the Chorus Kids, but I think Karate Joe makes more sense. Rhythm Heaven is a unique franchise that could have an awesome gimmick in Smash. I would imagine that Sakurai would want to try and get a Rhythm Heaven character to work this time, and I think it will.

Geno: Sakurai has been wanting Geno since Brawl, and so have hordes of other people. The main issue that was getting in his way was Square, since they own him. But, with Cloud now in the game, negotiations for Geno would be easier. He also got a mii costume, so he is already in the game, he just needs to be upgraded to a character.

Simon Belmont: Putting the leak aside, there is evidence for Simon. Sakurai regards Castlevania and Metroid as revolutionizing a new genre, so it makes sense that he would want Simon in his perfect game.

KOS-MOS: With Namco working on this game again, I think they'd have some kind of priority in guest characters. While Heihachi and Lloyd are top picks, I think KOS-MOS would appeal more to Sakurai. She has an interesting moveset. She commonly makes cameos in games like XC2 and Project X Zone, she is almost like Namco's crossover character. Though they may want to pick a more relevant character like Heihachi.
----------------------------------------------

Echoes:
Peach | Daisy
Donkey Kong | Funky Kong
Samus | Dark Samus
Villager | Isabelle
Ike | Chrom

Newcomers:
Inkling
Ridley
Ashley
King K. Rool
Mach Rider
Lip
Elma
Geno
Simon Belmont

Chrom makes a lot of sense to be an echo fighter. He's a popular character that get rejected previously for being too similar to other characters, so he should be added because he is similar to other FE characters. I don't think he's too similar to Ike, but I think they'd make him an Ike echo and not another Marth.

Isabelle is really popular and could easily be a Villager echo fighter, same with Dark Samus. They were both assist trophies that we haven't seen yet.

Funky Kong makes more sense to be an echo fighter than Dixie Kong, as she would probably need different moves. Funky is also popular and got an expansion in Tropical Freeze. He was also in MK Wii because he was an easily DK reskin, so he makes sense.

Ashley is a popular choice, who is a missing assist trophy. If we're getting less newcomers this time, it makes sense that popular characters will be the first picks. Ashley has lots of moveset potential and her popularity extends far out of Warioware. She also had a mii costume as DLC.

Mach Rider is my new top choice for a retro rep. I was really surprised to see Takamaru still be an assist trophy, and that has honestly completely changed some of my views on some characters. Mach Rider was previously considered for Melee, and if Sakurai wants the Ultimate game I think he'd want to reconsider things he considered in the past. Sukapon is now an assist trophy, who was considered for Melee. If we see someone like Ditto or Balloon Fighter make an appearance in some form, I'll consider Mach Rider now higher.

Lip's weapon has been in Smash for a long time, the Lip Stick. We haven't seen the return of this item yet. I'm pretty sure that she was previously considered by Sakurai, but turned away because of lack of appeal to western audiences. I'm hesitant for her because Takamaru was turned away for the same reason, but I think she might make it.
----------------------------------------------

This is my final roster prediction before the game comes out. After E3, my original roster prediction got destroyed, so I felt that with the new information we know about the game. While I'll still make more rosters as time goes on, this is what I will consider my final roster, so this is the one where I would tally my points.
-----------------------------------------------
Current Tally: Out of Characters on Roster
3-1
King K. Rool, Dark Samus, Simon Belmont : Ashley

Current Tally: Out of Characters in Game
5-3
Ridley, Inklings, Simon Belmont, Dark Samus, King K. Rool : Richter, Chrom, Daisy
There are 11 total newcomers, and 4 echoes. This may seem like a lot, and it is. I'm probably overshooting, but we have no idea how many characters we're getting. We could only have like 5, or we could have 15. I'm going to optimistic here tough.
Echoes:
Dark Samus: I think the biggest piece of evidence in favor of her making it in is that fact that Samus' Dark Samus skin wasn't just removed, it was replaced. Why would they choose to replace her skin for no apparent reason, other than making her a character. It just makes no sense to replace the Dark Samus skin with a different dark one with orange. Her assist trophy is also missing, but that doesn't mean much. I would be surprised if Dark Samus wasn't in the game. [Confidence: 70%]

Isabelle: Isabelle fits the "popular character that wouldn't normally get in otherwise" role perfectly. She is very popular, and Nintendo uses her as advertising and pushes her quite a lot. I don't think she would normally get in, but as a Villager echo it makes sense. The main complaint against her is that she isn't a fighter, which I find weak. Villager, ROB, and Wii Fit aren't fighters, but are in the game. I just think she fits perfectly. [Confidence: 60%]

Normal Characters:
Dixie Kong [Semi-Clone]: Dixie just makes sense to be added, and I would see her being a semi clone of Diddy. I find the biggest piece of evidence being Diddy's new jab. They changed it from his tail attack to have no tail at all. I find this a weird change, as if they really wanted to change it they could have still used his tail, but they decided to not use it. I think this was meant for Dixie, as she has no tail. Outside of that, she is the third main character, and outside of the villain, she is the next logical choice. [Confidence: 55%]

King K. Rool: The king is the only character who consistently rivals Ridley for popularity. If Sakurai is heavily taking popularity and the ballot into consideration for this batch of newcomers, King K. Rool seems so likely. He constantly top polls, has one of the most outspoken fanbases, and already got a mii fighter costume. Sakurai is atleast aware of his existence, so I would be very surprised if he didn't add him this time. The king is my most likely character.
[Confidence: 99%]

Skull Kid: Despite not being relevant for years, I still see Skull Kid requested. He is one of the most consistently requested characters ever. He already had an assist, which we haven't seen. Zelda hasn't gotten a new character since Brawl, and hasn't gotten a unique one since Melee. I could see Zelda getting a priority slot when picking new characters, and Skull Kid makes sense considering popularity and potential. I'm not completely sold on him yet, but I think he has a good shot. [Confidence: 50%]

Ashley: I think Sakurai's distinction when talking about adding Ridley is interesting. He said that he added Ridley because of lots of fan demand in the west. This says to me, that there will be a character that was popular in the east, and Ashley is at the top. When considering east specific characters, Ashley comes to mind first. She is very popular in Japan, and extremely relevant. She already had an assist trophy and a costume, so she has a presence in Smash already. She is also pushed by Nintendo in various ways, even when she doesn't really belong. She also got a new model and voice in Gold, which is interesting. I'm pretty confident in her being added. [Confidence: 70%]

Elma: While I think most of these choices are going to based off the ballot and popularity, I don't think they'll all be. Elma was very relevant during the planning phase of Ultimate, making her a prime choice for a newcomer. X also isn't a dead franchise, as the story is still ongoing and a sequel is possible, as well as a port. Sakurai also bought that mech model, and although he said it was for the gun, he also did get the mech. There really isn't much evidence, but timing is right and Sakurai may see her potential. [Confidence: 75%]

Karate Joe: While this may be the ultimate game for the fans, I also think that this is going to be the ultimate game for Sakurai. The next two picks are weird, and I think they'll be added because of Sakurai. For him to make his ultimate game, I think he will revisit past ideas that he had previously dismissed. Characters like Sukapon, who was meant to be in melee, has appeared as an assist trophy. Thus I think he will include Karate Joe, or any other Rhythm Heaven character in this game. It is hard to predict an exact character, since there really isn't a main character, but Karate Joe feels right to me. A RH character was heavily speculated to be in Smash 4, and seems to have been scrapped. I could see this carried over to Ultimate, as Sakurai clearly wanted them in 4. Although this is kind of a weird pick, I'm confident. [Confidence: 60%]

Mach Rider: We always get WTF retro rep, and I think Mach Rider is going to be it. Mach Rider was previously considered to be in Melee, but was dismissed as a joke. I think she'll get added this time because Sakurai may go back and visit his previous ideas for character, and I think he'll see Mach Rider in a new light. He may not have been able to visualize her back then, but I think he'll be able to now. Also, the rifle be bought for his project looks very much like Mach Rider's gun. This is my least confident pick, but it may be true. [Confidence: 40%]

Simon Belmont: Simon is all but confirmed at this point. He got leaked by Verge, than Nintendo leaked a Castlevania song. He may be an assist, or it may just be a stage, but I doubt it. Sakurai has talked about Castlevania before, but I don't think that matters anymore. [Confidence: 85%]

Geno: Sakurai has stated he wants Geno in the game, and with Square Enix already on board with Cloud, I'm confident he is going to happen. He got a mii costume, which shows that he is possible. There really isn't many roadblocks in the way anymore, so it really just comes down to if Sakurai wants him, and he does. He was been requested so much over the years, which I don't understand why, but he is very popular. I'd be surprised if he didn't make it. [Confidence: 80%]

That's all the time I have for now, as I am currently typing at hypersonic speed as the direct is in 10 minutes. I would be honorable mentions but there is not time, there is only time to see if I'm right.

Total New Echoes: 12
Total Newcomers: 9
Total Characters: 83

A lot of new information was revealed in the new Smash Bros Direct that has made me reconsider a lot of my choices, and such I have remade my roster. I've shortened my number of original characters and lengthened my number of echoes. Mainly because I feel there are a lot of strong contenders that have remained and emerged after the direct. I think the fact that we got 2 new characters and 3 echoes is really telling of how the rest of the newcomers are going to pan out.

I really think that this roster is going to prioritize three things:
1. Popular and long time requested characters
2. Villains
3. Priority to the original 12

I think 5 completely new characters is the maximum we're going to get. We have four months remaining until the game launches, and we've already gotten 4 newcomers. I can't imagine that they'd blow the majority of the newcomers so early, and I'm sure a few are saved up until launch. I'd think that one would be revealed in a Nintendo direct that is bound to happen between now and December. I'm expecting another direct that would focus on single player more, and if we're going by what we've seen before, 1-2 newcomers isn't a stretch. Then I'd imagine we'd get some kind of new trailer dropped on the website like Robin was right before the game launches. Echoes would might accompany newcomers in trailers, or we'd just get them randomly.

8 more echoes might be a little too much, and I honestly don't think they'll all get in, but I think they all could get in. I think I was really underestimating how important echoes are going to be to this roster. All the echoes I've included I feel have reasonable reasons to why they should be added and make sense. Considering we've already gotten 4 echoes so far, and we're about half way towards to the release date sense it was revealed, 7 isn't too big of a stretch. Personal speculation but, I think we'll get one more direct based on single player information, probably with 1-2 new characters and 2-3 more echoes, and then a 50 fact extravaganza style direct right before release with the final echoes and newcomers. I think my biggest issue with this amount is that echoes aren't important enough to warrant a trailer so they can't really be dropped in a normal direct or on the website, so they kind of need a platform to stand on, and I don't know if we will have time for 7 of them.

This direct has given me three revelations about echo characters:
1. 3rd party franchises can get echoes
2. Newcomers can get echoes
3. Echoes can have different moves from their originals

I was previously very against 3rd party echoes, as I thought it undermined the point of a guest character. This is why I was originally against Shadow. But, with Richter, being other a 3rd party and a newcomer echo, my opinions have changed.

I'm not surprised about Dark Samus getting added. The costume being recolored really was a hard hint at her being added. I'm just surprised at how good they pulled her off. She really does look and feel different from Samus, and those black and blue effects on her look so good. I don't think I'd really ever play Samus with Dark Samus in the game now.

Chrom wasn't really surprising, and thinking back I should have included him, but what was interesting to me was his up special. This has also made me reconsider some characters now that we know this fact. Chrom himself looks cool, I'll probably pick him up as a pocket character since I like pretty much all of the FE characters.

So Ash;ey didn't make it in after all, I guess that sucks? Looking back on it, maybe I overestimated her. She may have been a popular character, but she really wasn't that much of a popular smash pick. I guess she just didn't make the cut this time.

K. Rool and Simon weren't surprising to me either. They sure were hype though. I actually prefer Simon's trailer over King K's. They both look really interesting, and are high on my potential mains list. I'll probably pick Simon over Richter, but I'd imagine I'd probably switch between them.

I've ended up removing four characters from my previous prediction. Elma, Mach Rider, and Ashley (for obvious reasons), while adding Shadow, Ken, Impa, Black Shadow, Louie, Black Knight, Isaac, and Buzzwole.

-------------------------------
Echo Fighters

I added Black Shadow because I felt he benefited a lot from the patterns of this game. F-Zero has been at one character since the original, and is the only one of the original 12 to not have a second rep (besides Yoshi). Captain Falcon may get some kind of seniority when it comes to getting an echo fighter, and Black Shadow is the go to choice.

1. Villains and the Original 12
The whole theme of this game is that this is the ultimate smash bros, and is heavily revolving around the original 8, and by extension the original 12. From starting out with only the original 8, to having the eight of them appear right in the middle of the main menu. Because of all this focus, I think Sakurai would want to expand upon the one franchise out of the original cast not to have a second fighter. Black Shadow also fits nicely into the theme of villains. Whether you believe this game is focusing on the Rivals theme, it is notable that we have been getting more villains this time. Out of the eight revealed fighters so far, three have been villains, which is a big step up. Black Shadow knocks out two birds with one stone.

Let's look at the original 12, and their villains:
Mario: Bowser
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Link: Ganondorf
Samus: Ridley
Yoshi: Bowser Jr. (debatable)
Kirby: King Dedede
Fox: Wolf
Pikachu: Mewtwo (debatable)
Ness: ?
Captain Falcon: ?
Jigglypuff, Luigi: Excluded

The only two of the original 12 that rep their owns series that are still missing a playable villain, are Captain Falcon and Ness. Earthbound doesn't really have any villain that would work as an echo, nor does it have one that is popular enough to be a full fighter. F-Zero does, and that is Black Shadow. It is also interesting that the three villains that have been added so far have filled the vacant spots (Ridley and Dark Samus as Samus' villain, and King K. Rool as DK's).

2. Big Blue
Outside of patterns and seniority, there is some evidence that may hint at him. Big Blue, which in the past has featured Black Shadow's car on the stage select image, no longer has it there. This is really strange, since Sakurai always pays attention to detail and I can't imagine this just happened by accident. There has to be a reason for this, and such this piece of evidence means a lot.

Black Shadow is just ticking all the right boxes for me, and while most of this is speculation and there isn't really any hard evidence in his favor, I do think he has a good shot. The only issue with this is that is is all a theory, and if it is proven wrong then Black Shadow goes down with it, but I do have faith. I'd imagine Black Shadow playing between Ganondorf and Captain Falcon, with him taking over Ganondorf's old smash attacks. F-Zero is in need of a second fighter, and with the introduction of echoes, Black Shadow just makes sense.
Confidence: 75%

Impa really is the last important recurring character in the Zelda franchise. She's always in the games in some form. Such, it makes sense that she be added as Sheik's echo. I know a lot of people like the Hyrule Warriors design of her, myself included, but I don't think they'd use that one. Zelda is quite the underrepresented franchise for its stature, so I think it may get some priority when it comes to echoes.

1. Redesigns and Representation
The biggest piece of evidence in Impa's favor are the redesigns the Zelda cast are getting. Link from BOTW, Zelda from LBW, Ganondorf from OOT, Toon Link from his games and Young Link from his. One game we're missing though, is Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword has a stage in Smash Ultimate, so it's strange that it's missing a fighter. It is also good to note that Skyward Sword was a game where Impa was very active in fighting. That's why I think she'll get in as Sheik's echo, using her skyward sword design.

Impa makes a lot of sense to be added. I think the biggest thing holding her back is that she isn't very popular. She may or may not be a popular character within the Zelda fanbase, but I don't think she is very popular when it comes to smash. Nonetheless, I still think she has a good chance. The redesign theory is the biggest piece of evidence in her favor, and I think it just makes a lot of sense.

Confidence: 60%

The Black Knight recently fell onto my radar after the new direct, and there seems to be a lot in his favor. I know a lot of people dislike the idea of more FE characters, especially more sword wielders, but I think Black Knight gets a pass. He has a more unique design than the rest of the FE cast, and I think a lot more people would accept him than another blue haired swordsman. So let's go down the reasons why he will most likely get added.

1. Villains Theme
The theme of villains has been strong this game. Ridley, Dark Samus, K. Rool, and the return of Wolf are helping expand the roster of villains. It seems most of Nintendo's biggest franchises are getting their villains, but one series in smash that has a lot of characters without a villain is Fire Emblem. Black Knight is the most recognizable and popular FE villain, and he easily works as an Ike echo. While I don't think characters are solely going to get in because they are villains, I do think there is some kind of push for more villains, so I see villains that can easily fit as an echo as having a good shot.

2. Disappearance
From one of the recent screenshots from Richter's character page, we can see an updated Castle Siege, in which the Black Knight is no longer seated on the throne in the background. Now, there is some debate on if this is the Black Knight or a generic enemy that looks like him, or if he wasn't actually replaced but just updated and looks different because of the lighting. First, I do think this is the Black Knight, and even if it isn't, I don't think that matters because it looks like him. You can call it whatever you want, but it still stands that is looks like the Black Knight, as such there may be confusion if he is in the background. The most plausible explanation for his disappearance is that he is now a fighter, or a boss. One thing that I think goes against the boss theory is that I think Black Knight just is too small. You can always fight against characters your own size, but a boss is supposed to be a big challenge, and I think the Black Knight just wouldn't feel right.

3. Popularity
The Black Knight is quite popular, and received a Mii Fighter costume during the DLC era. There really wasn't any big reason for him to get one, so I can only assume it was because of his popularity. He isn't one of the most popular characters when it comes to new characters or FE characters in general, but I think he is popular enough to become an echo.

4. Ike's Alternative Skins
This is one point I see brought up against the Black Knight, and that is that Ike still has his Black Knight inspired colors. This, I don't think matters at all. If we look at the alt colors removed, I think you'll understand. Dark Samus's colors were removed from Samus because they were literally the exact same, and it would be confusing if they were to remain. Chrom's colors were removed from Ike because they are both blue haired swordsman and you may be able to mix them up if you aren't paying attention. Now let's compare them to Black Knight. It's really hard to confuse the two, since Ike is a blue haired buff guy, and the Black Knight is a guy in giant black armor. Let's also not forget that Mario has Luigi inspired colors, yet Luigi is still in the game.

Black Knight is seeming really likely. He's hitting all the needed points and there is sufficient evidence in his favor. I think the only things that may hold him back is if they do in fact make him a boss, since he is the most recognizable, but they could always pick someone like Grima or Hardin. The other thing is Sakurai may hesitate to add more FE, even if it's an echo. Chrom got in because he was requested highly and got crushed last game, but Black Knight has neither. Sakurai said he hesitated to add Corrin, so he may feel 8 is too many even with echoes. Even so, I think Black Knight has a very good shot.

Confidence: 80%

I had previously listed Dixie Kong as a semi-clone of Diddy, but with the lines between echo and semi-clone becoming thinner and thinner, I'm becoming more confident in her. Chrom's inclusion wasn't only great because of the character getting in, it was also because of he received Ike's up special. This is telling that Echoes can have different moves than their originals, and I think this helps Dixie.

1. Importance
If we're going by importance to the series, Dixie Kong comes in third. If we're going to get a fourth Donkey Kong rep, she makes sense. She's also easy to make an echo out of, so there isn't a big reason to not include her. The only two characters that may take her spot would be Cranky or Funky. Cranky as a throwback character, and Funky has an easy DK echo. I still think she makes the most sense out of all potential DK reps. Her relevance also has been stable. She appeared in Tropical Freeze, which was also ported to the Switch. Donkey Kong has been a consistent enough series to warrant four reps.

2. Echo Status
Her status as an echo fighter makes sense. She shares a very similar body type to Diddy and could easily share the same moves. Her most notable attack is her hair, which could be incorporated into her new up special, the hair copter. Take Donkey's dong copter and re work it and her hair copter. From what we've seen, Diddy is missing his tail attack for his jab. Now, this may just be that he didn't finish his jab, but from what we've seen, it is missing. This could indicate that Dixie is going to be his echo, since she doesn't have a tail.

I've seen a few people say that since Dixie didn't appear in K. Rool's trailer, she isn't going to happen, and all I have to say is Dark Samus. It's in the game, despite being absent in Ridley's trailer. Until we see her in some form, I don't think she's out of the running. I'm also pretty sure that Diddy's pink outfit is missing, as far as I can see. If we're following with the disappearance of the Dark Samus and Chrom inspired costumes, she might be next. I feel the only reason that she may not get in is if Sakurai decides that she wouldn't be represented well as an echo, and not requested enough for a full character.

Similar to Isabelle, I have a weird feeling she may not make it. Sometimes characters that just make too much sense don't make it, and characters that no one say coming sneak in. Dixie makes a ton of sense, but I'm not totally confident in her.

Confidence: 60%

Shadow's chances have skyrocketed because of the direct. Lots of information has been released that strongly supports his inclusion. I was originally very hesitant to include Shadow on my roster because I felt that including a third party echo fighter diminished the whole idea of a guest character. I've changed my mind after the direct though. I feel like Shadow now has the best chance out of any echo fighter.

1. Assist Trophy MIA
The first point in favor of Shadow being included stems from the fact that his assist trophy is still MIA. Now, this isn't too big on its own, since characters like Ashley were missing from the demo, but didn't amount to anything. I think the most interesting point here is that he isn't just gone, he seems to have been replaced. Just like Dark Samus and Chrom's colors being replaced from their respective characters, Shadow's assist trophy seems to have been replaced by Knuckles. I feel like the time has passed for Shadow's assist trophy to be shown in a good manor, aside from a random update on the site.

Sonic and Snake were the two first third party characters to make it into smash. Although Snake hasn't received an echo, Simon has gotten Richter as an echo, which is owned by Konami. Sonic only seems right to receive one, and Shadow makes the most sense.

2. Echo Status
The biggest argument against him is that he wouldn't work as a Sonic echo, which I shall respond with, he totally does. "Shadow can't be a Sonic echo because then he can't use Chaos Spear" "Shadow wouldn't work as a Sonic echo because they are totally different." Now I won't argue that Shadow can be different and could be a unique character, but what I'm saying is that he can be an echo. Dark Samus doesn't have to be a Samus echo, and could have been a really unique character, but if you boil her down, she could work as one. The same can be said with Shadow, at his base he would work as a Sonic echo. Give him new taunts, a new running animation, and a teleport move for his up special, all things we've seen other echoes do, and then he would work. Hell, even give him a new final smash being Chaos Control or Chaos Spear if you really want.

Confidence: 90%

Now, Louie may not seem like that likely of a character, but I want you to consider one question. Why is Alph not Olimar's echo fighter. It seems so perfect. Alph was the only named alternative costume (aside from the Koopalings), so there is no need to make a new model or anything, just give him a new slot and call him an echo. So why? Well, I think the reason is because Sakurai felt that Louie was more fit to be Olimar's echo.

1. Importance
Louie is the second player when it comes to Pikmin, and as such makes sense to be added as an echo. Olimar and Louie both have similar abilities and appearance, so the transition is perfect.

2. Abilities
I really feel like this is the one chance for Pikmin to get a second rep. The problem with adding another character is that the Pikmin games aren't about the unique character your controlling, it's about the pikmin you command. As such, there isn't really any difference in the abilities of the main characters. So, I think an echo is the perfect chance.

I really don't have much to say about Louie, unlike the rest of the characters. I feel like I've said all I needed. He makes a ton of sense, and while not really being popular, I think he may get a pass. Louie would be one of the easiest echoes to make, since he is literally just Olimar with a different head. I'm actually really confident in Louie.

Isabelle comes off as the perfect definition of an echo fighter. A very popular character that normally wouldn't make it into the game as a unique fighter, added as an easy clone character. Isabelle is pretty much the new face of Animal Crossing, and her popularity has transcended her own series. She got a lot of badges in the badge arcade and is used in a lot of promotional material. If we know one thing about this game, it's that popular characters are front and center.

1. History
Isabelle has a history in Smash. She got Mii Costume via DLC at the end of Smash 4's cycle. While this doesn't mean that the character will automatically get into smash, it is an indicator of who is popular. Characters like King K. Rool, Inklings, and Chrom got Mii Costumes, and popular picks like Geno and Skull Kid also did. Others like Takamaru and Ashley did get them, but were assist trophies. I think people undermine who important an assist trophy is. They are pretty much one step down from a fighter.

1. MIA Assist Trophy
Isabelle's assist trophy is still MIA. Now this may not mean anything, like in Ashley's case, but it is interesting. Isabelle doesn't seem to just be missing, she seems to be replaced. Kapp'n, who is a new Animal Crossing assist trophy, has been shown while Isabelle's has not been. I feel like she missed her perfect opportunity to be shown.

3. Pacifist
The biggest argument that people like to through in her direct is that she is too peaceful and wouldn't fit in Smash. I do understand that concern, but there are other "peaceful characters" already in Smash. Villager, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer are all examples I can think of. Even if you want to go further and say that being passive is her personality, I think she'd still work. Give her different facial expression, and make her clumsier, almost if she doesn't mean to attack. Change some things like taunts, maybe different colored balloons, and call it a day.

Even with all of this evidence, I still don't have total confidence in her getting in, unlike Shadow and Ken. She feels almost too perfect to get in, almost so that I feel Sakurai might pass her up, similar to Chrom in Smash 4. Everything really points in her favor, but I just have a gut feeling she may be left out.

Confidence: 65%

Ken was another character that I was originally hesitant on, but the recent direct has changed my mind. Ken makes sense to be added as an echo fighter, since he was pretty much the original clone. He has been fleshed out and given his own identity in recent games, but that doesn't get rid of the fact that he would work as the perfect clone. Sakurai would probably opt to use his original design, but I hope they use his newer one.

1. Music
There really isn't too much hard evidence in his favor, only that he fits the requirements for an echo fighter perfectly. That was until I noticed this one detail during the recent direct.

36 songs sure is a lot for a one fighter series. While I know that this doesn't hold that much weight, I'd imagine that Street Fighter getting 36 songs without getting a second fighter is strange. Mind you, in Smash 4, Street Fighter only had 5 songs, so an increase of 31 is quite interesting. This is what sold me on Ken. Let's not forget that fact that he also got a trophy in Smash 4 alongside the Ryu DLC. Sakurai has said that he wants Smash Brothers to be the ultimate fighting game, so including the first clone, the original echo fighter, makes sense.

Confidence: 85%
Unique Fighters

I've had a rough past with considering Gen 7 newcomers. At the beginning, I was hard on the Decidueye train, than I hopped over to Lycanroc for a while, recently jumped over to Incineroar, but now I think I've made my final decision. This is my completely out there prediction, Buzzwole. When it comes to prediction on a Generation 7 Pokemon, it always ends with pretty much general consensus on Incineroar. I've been on the fence for a long time when it came to getting a new Pokemon this game, since I thought the three returning Pokemon compensated for it. But, with the amount of new pokeball Pokemon in this game from Gen 7, I'm now thinking we're getting one. While I do think Incineroar is likely, and when it comes down to it makes a lot of sense on the surface, I'm thinking Buzzwole might sneak in this time. My personal bias may be coming into play right here, since he is my second most wanted character, but when you really do go deep, he starts to make some sense.

I'm going to be comparing him to Incineroar a lot in this, because I think he's Buzzwole's biggest threat, and I think we're going to either one of these two or Tapu Koko. Starting off with recent developments, the reason why Incineroar has been gaining a lot of traction recently is because of Vergeben. He leaked that we'd be getting a new Gen 7 Pokemon, and that it wouldn't be Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu, later saying it would most likely be Incineroar. Mimikyu recently got his turn on the chopping block and was shown off as a pokeball Pokemon, so there might be some merit here. Vergeben has a track record, and while I don't totally believe him, I do take what he says into note. Thus everyone jumped over to Incineroar, pretty much ignoring Pokemon like Buzzwole and Tapu Koko.

1. Concept Art
Pokemon Sun and Moon released at the end of 2016, so looking at concept art of these Pokemon can be helpful. I've looked over the concept art of all the relevant Pokemon candidates, and these two make the most sense to be translated into Smash. Buzzwole's art is interesting though, as it has lots of interesting attacks and poses, while Incineroar just has general art. Interesting how he has art for grabs, flying, victory poses, and attacks. Sakurai has stated that he needs to be able to envision a character fighting in Smash, and Buzzwole translates very easily. If Sakurai were to choose a Pokemon character based on concept art, he may choose Buzzwole. Pretty unrelated but Sakurai loves Jojo, and Buzzwole looks like a very Jojo inspired guy.

2. Popularity
As much as moveset is important to a character, so is popularity and relevance, and this is a category where Buzzwole falls a little behind. Incineroar is very prominent in the Pokemon anime, and possibly being set up to be the next Greninja. I'm pretty sure he is also popular. Buzzwole on the other hand, is pretty underground, I don't really see him brought up much. He does appear in the anime, but not too often, and mainly in his own specific episode. If the Pokemon team really want to push a Pokemon in smash, they would want to pick one that is relevant and important.

3. Story Importance
If we're going by importance to the actual story of the game, I honestly think Buzzwole beats out Incineroar. Ultra Beasts are a large part of the story to sun and moon, only losing to the totem pokemon and the legendaries. Buzzwole is definitely the stand out Ultra Beast in terms of design and translation into Smash, while Incineroar is just another starter. The starter Pokemon are always some of the most well known, but I think if they want to put a new Pokemon into Smash Ultimate, they may want to make it something unique. If they add Incineroar, it would just be another starter Pokemon, but if they want to make this generation stand out, I think an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole or a totem Pokemon like Tapu Koko would work.

That's why I think that Buzzwole is going to overtake Incineroar and the other Pokemon and take his place in Smash. This generation is really hard to predict since there are so many different Pokemon that could be playable. They could pick a popular starter like Incineroar or Decidueye, a popular one like Lycanroc, the story heavy Buzzwole or Tapu Koko, the maybe a random curveball like Golisopod, or maybe just none at all. I really think that Buzzwole edges out in terms design, translation, and moveset potential, but loses in popularity and relevance. This is my really out there character, but I truly think he has a shot. While this game is heavily supporting ballot characters, I think Pokemon gets a pass and can get any character, despite popularity.

Confidence: 70%

Skull Kid has been blowing up since the Smash Direct, and for good reasons. I already thought that he was pretty likely, but after all the hints and reasonings that have come out recently, I think he is much more likely. If you don't already know the main points, this is a great image that lists a lot of them. https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/400/976/a41.jpg_large
I'll be going over all of the points in the image and then giving my overall opinion on his chances.

1. Chairs
I'll first be going over the background of the Smash Direct, which a lot of people are taking as a hint of Skull Kid. While I do see why people think this, and especially comparing it to the background of E3, I don't think this really means anything. This isn't any kind of solid evidence, and even if Skull Kid were to get in the game, I doubt we'll ever know if the background was intentional or not. I'm not taking this as any real evidence.

2. The Moon
Something that I am taking into note though, is the new Majora's Mask assist trophy, the Moon. This is really interesting, as we've only ever had one Zelda assist trophy per game in the series (aka no two Skyward Sword assists, etc). It would be strange to have the Moon and Skull Kid as assist trophies, since they could have always just reworked the Skull Kid assist to summon the Moon. A lot of people seem to think this works against him, since it was perfect final smash material, which is false since he could always use Majora's Wrath. Olimar's final smash is also an item, so they could still make his final smash the Moon if they really wanted to. This, IMO, is the biggest piece of evidence in his favor.

3. Young Link
Young Link's final smash not being shown yet is interesting. The fact that it hasn't been shown yet, despite having a great opportunity to during the E3 showcase, probably means that it is changed. The biggest comparison I can give is to Robin. They didn't show it, because it would have given away Chrom as an echo fighter. While having Fierce Deity Link as his final smash wouldn't completely give it away, they would probably save it for Skull Kid's reveal. I at least think that his final smash is changed, whether or not this points in favor of Skull Kid is up in the air.

4. Popularity
Skull Kid is a very popular character, and his popularity dates back to Brawl days along with other juggernauts like Ridley, King K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac. Sakurai is definitely aware of this, as specified in his Miiverse post about the Skull Kid assist trophy. The ongoing effort to add long time fan favorite characters and villains are definitely points in his favor. Zelda also hasn't got a newcomer since Brawl, and hasn't gotten a unique one since Melee. It is definitely time for a new one, and Skull Kid is one of the most recognizable faces of the series. The Mask is up there as one of the most recognizable things like the Triforce.

5. Relevance
Majora's Mask 3D releasing the same year as the project plan for Smash Ultimate is really important. Relevancy comes into play for a lot of characters. Since the timelines overlap here, Skull Kid would most likely be on Sakurai's mind when considering newcomers. He probably did pretty well on the ballot, which makes him a prime newcomer choice.

I don't think the rest of the evidence in the picture is that great though. The mii costume is interesting, and at least shows that Sakurai knows he is popular, but both deconfirmed and confirmed characters got mii costumes. Loz18 is a leaker that I keep on my radar, but I don't necessarily take anything he says too seriously, at least until he gets something really out there correct. The Ramblin Evil Mushroom doesn't really mean anything too big. It should be noted that is it a new item that seemingly replaces Skull Kid's missing effect, but whatever.

I really do think a lot of the supposed evidence is really important when considering his chances, and he is looking really likely right now. One thing that I will say, is that there is no way that he is returning as an assist trophy. Whether he is a character, a boss, or something else, I'm really confident his assist trophy is retired. With all the Zelda characters getting redesigns representing different games, what better to represent Majora's Mask than the main villain himself.

Confidence: 90%

Lately, people have been calling Karate Joe a bandwagon character, which kind of pisses me off since he is unique and interesting fighter. Nonetheless, Karate Joe is quite an interesting case. He isn't really that popular nor important, which is the theme of this band of newcomers. But with all that said, his chances are looking up.

1. Ultimate
This is the Ultimate Smash bros game, both for the fans and for Sakurai himself. That's why we've seen all the characters come back, that's why we've seen fan favorites debuting, and that's why a lot of Sakurai's previous ideas like Ditto and Sukapon are finally making their way in. Thus, Karate Joe making his debut makes sense. Based on the Gematsu leak from Smash 4 and interesting data like the Sneaky Spirit and a left over Rhythm Heaven Icon, it is safe to say that a Rhythm Heaven character was planned for this game, but was scrapped for unknown reasons. Sources point to the Chorus Kids being the rep, but I think Karate Joe is more recognizable and would transition better into Smash. It makes sense that for Sakurai's Ultimate Smash, he would want to include the character that he previously couldn't make work.

2. Presence
Rhythm Heaven as a franchise has a presence within Smash itself, even without a fighter. We've had trophies and an enemy in Smash Run, which is interesting because RH is the only franchise without a playable character that has an enemy. Assuming Smash Run returns, that would be quite strange. The Rhythm Heaven franchise is consistently puts out games, aside from the break it's been on recently, and is one of the last few big franchises left to be represented in Smash.

3. Possible Hint

This image has been floating around recently. It shows the similarity between Donkey Kong and Karate Joe, and honestly, I think this may actually have some ground to stand on. The details are so specific, from the look of the TV to the pose they're both doing. Sakurai has been known to hint at things and play around, so I wouldn't put him past him to sneak this in. I don't think this makes his supercharges his chances, but it is good to note.

Karate Joe is a character who really only has one piece of evidence going for him, but he doesn't need anymore than that. There is enough evidence to suggest that a Rhythm Heaven character was planned, and such Karate Joe or anyother rep is very likely. With the theme of the Ultimate Smash Brothers, his inclusion is seeming very likely.

Isaac has had resurgence in the recent months, and he is looking more likely than ever.

1. Popularity
Isaac is a member of the big four, the seemingly most requested characters. Two of those members, Ridley and King K. Rool, have already both been confirmed, leaving only Isaac and Geno. Isaac is a very popular character, and I'm sure he did well on the ballot. The newcomers this time are long time fan favorites, so the chances of Isaac making the cut are the highest they've every been.

2. Assist Trophy
This one point that is interesting. Isaac, who was previously an assist trophy in Brawl, was removed and did not appear in Smash 4. Detractors like to say that this is because Isaac isn't important and he won't make it in But, I would like to point you to something that Sakurai said about King K. Rool's inclusion. He stated that he didn't know how popular King K. Rool was until the Smash Ballot. I think this is a big point in favor of Isaac. Sakurai may have removed his assist trophy thinking that he wasn't necessary, only to realize during the Smash Ballot how people are requesting him.

3. Rathalos

This was an image posted to the Smash Bros Website, depicting Rathalos vs 3 Swordfighters. This is scarily close to the battle style from the Golden Sun franchise, and people are taking this as a hint that Isaac is in the game. Honestly, I believe it. This could be a reference to Monster Hunter, but Golden Sun has such a distinct camera style that is so perfectly replicated here. Sakurai also tweeted this image, but why this image in particular? Everything is just lining up in Isaac's favor.

I really do think Isaac has a great chance this time. I'm not as confident in his chances as the other characters, but I think he'll make it. He's been a long time requested character who fits into Smash well. There really isn't anything in his way, and now we just need to see it he actually makes it.

Confidence: 75%

Sakurai: Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash.

Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?

Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.

Legendary words spoken by Sakurai himself. Geno is one of the most requested characters of all time, and has been acknowledged by Sakurai on many occasions. Geno has never had a better chance to get into Smash Ultimate than right now.

1. Sakurai Wants Him
Sakurai has gone on record multiple times saying that he wants Geno in the game. So? What's stopping him from getting in the game. Well, Geno is owned by Square Enix, and such is a third party character. Third parties are much harder to get in the game. But, with Cloud now in, I think Sakurai is in his best position to add Geno. I think the biggest problem is if Square isn't interested in adding him, instead requesting someone like Erdrick. In this case I could see Sakurai either taking both or just leaving. In the end, it's Square's call.

2. Mii Costume
Geno received a Mii Fighter Costume in the DLC era of Smash 4, and such has gotten the closest to being a playable fighter yet. This shows that there is a chance that a deal could be struck to get him as an actual character, as there was one for the costume.

3. Newcomer Juggernaut
Geno could be called the most persistent potential newcomer. His requests have never stopped. His momentum has never stopped. He will never be stopped, until he gets in the game. Sakurai is well aware of Geno, acknowledging the requests before. With all the fan requests coming through this time, Geno is in a good position.

But, in the end, the decision comes down to Square. The question isn't if Sakurai is going to add him, because he has said he wants to. It really just rests on if Square is willing to let them use Geno. I think Sakurai would try his hardest to get Geno this time around more than ever. With his nonstop requests and rampant popularity, Geno is the perfect pick.

Confidence: 85%
Honorable Mentions
These are the characters that I think have the highest chance of becoming playable that I didn't include in my roster.

Elma: It really hurt to remove Elma from my prediction, since she is my most wanted, but I no longer view her as really likely. She doesn't have any long time fan support like a lot of the other newcomers. The newcomers focusing on fan favorites kind of blocks her out, while Pokemon gets a free pass. The biggest pieces of evidence in her favor are the mech model Sakurai bought and her timing. I still view her as a likely character, but I don't think she is more likely then the ones listed above. Sadly there really isn't any room for her.

Mach Rider: I was really thinking Mach Rider had a good chance, but sadly it seems I was wrong. While it isn't an outright deconfirmation, it does drop his chances quite a bit. The fact that the Mach Rider music track was shown during the direct in the Misc category. Usually characters get more than one song, even Mr. G&W has two, thus I think this is the end of the road for Mach.

Bandana Dee: If I had to add one more character to my roster, it would be him. He makes a lot of sense. He's popular, requested, relevant, has moveset potential, but I just don't think he measures up well against the five above. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he made it in, although I'd rather not, but with limited slots available this time, I think he'll get left behind.

Incineroar: Buzzwole was my prediction for the Pokemon newcomer, but Incineroar still has a chance. Infact, this mention wasn't just for him, it was for all the other potential pokemon. Golisopod, Decidueye, Lycanroc, Tapu Koko, and Incineroar are the other Pokemon I could see making the cut. There were so many Pokemon this generation that could be good Smash fighters that it would hard to pick just one.

Paper Mario: The Mario RPG's are pretty underrepresented in Smash, and Paper Mario fits right in. The Paper Mario franchise has been consistent with games, and while not everyone thinks they're good, they are consistent. Paper Mario Switch will most likely happen, making his chances even higher. He is popular and could have a unique moveset and mechanic. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it.

Lloyd Irving: I previously had Lloyd on my roster, but replaced him later. I really do think a new Namco character is likely, since they're helping to make the game and all, but I don't think there is anyone that really is that requested. Lloyd is the peak though. He got a mii fighter costume in Smash 4, his creator expressed that he would like to see him in the game, and the Tales series is very big. I could see Sakurai taking interest in the character and adding him, but that's something I don't see happening this time.

Heihachi: Sakurai has expressed interest in added Heihachi in the past, but couldn't make it work. So, will Heihachi get in this time? Nope, I don't think he will. I think the biggest thing against him is that he hasn't been revealed yet. The Smash direct, revealed at the biggest fighting game tournament, which prominently featured Tekken, didn't reveal Heihachi. I honestly think this is a death sentence for the old man.

Banjo & Kazooie: I actually think they have a great chance. I really debated putting them on this roster, but ended up against it. They're long time requested characters and legacy characters. They really do deserve to be in Smash, but I just feel they may not happen. Microsoft and Nintendo have a good relationship, with the cross play feature. Phil even said that he was open to Banjo in Smash. They have a lot going for them, but this is just a hunch.

Erdrick: Dragon Quest is one of the most popular franchises of all time in Japan, and Erdrick is commonly recognized as the poster boy. Sakurai loves to get legacy characters in the game, so Erdrick makes sense. Square currently has a good relationship with Nintendo, so the possibility of Erdrick is high. Though, he really isn't popular and seems like DLC material.

Doomguy: Another legacy character, Doom is one of the most revolutionary games of all time. Doom 2016 recently got ported to the Switch, and Doom Eternal will be coming out soon. Sakurai likes characters with history, and Doomguy has a lot. There was also that comment from Pete Hines about how he talked to Nintendo about Smash, suspicious. Though, he isn't really highly requested and with Doom Eternal on the horizon, they may want to hold him off for DLC.
These are characters that Is still think have a good chance, but not as high as the rest.
Rayman: It seems a lot of people thought Rayman was really likely at the beginning of the Smash cycle, but he has kind of sizzled out. I still think he has a chance though, Ubisoft and Nintendo have a great relationship and Mario Rabbids did really well. Though, Rayman isn't that popular compared to the rest of the characters that could make it.

Chibi-Robo: Chibi-Robo is a series that is decently big that still lacks a rep. Chibi-Robo could have a quite unique moveset, but I think the thing holding him back is that he isn't really popular nor important. Zip-Lash really did feel like the nail in the coffin for Chibi. Though, we shouldn't forget the flaming Chibi-Robo Nintendo posted for one of their directs.

Excitebiker: A potential retro character. Nintendo loves to promote Excitebike, from putting a course in Mario Kart, to shoving the game down our throats. He's one of the last NES characters that deserves to be in Smash. Sakurai has said that he tried to get him to work in the past, but couldn't picture him fighting. I'm sure he could do it now.

Sable Prince: Sakurai really seems to like this guy. He was an assist trophy in Smash 4, and appeared on Sakurai's birthday cake for some reason. I could see Sakurai adding him because he likes him, and that's fine. I just don't know if they is really room for a weird king of pick like the prince.

Lip: She's been in the game for the longest time in the form of the Lip's Stick. I was hoping she would make it this time, but with the return of the item I really don't think she's going to make it. She was quite popular, but I don't think they'd keep the stick if she was a newcomer.

Hector: He's quite the popular Fire Emblem character. Problem is, he's a Fire Emblem character. Sakurai would probably hesitate to add another non echo FE character after what happened with Corrin.

Sylux: I was riding pretty hard on the Sylux Train pre E3, too bad I hopped off after that. Ridley and Dark Samus make his chances almost nothing. He could still happen I guess, but he really isn't relevant yet, and would be better for DLC when he gets a better role in Metroid Prime 4.

Rex & Pyra: I used to think they were a lock, but time has changed. I think the timing was just too late for them to be included. Sakurai could have pulled a Greninja, but we have to remember that that was for Pokemon, and this is for Xenoblade. They're in too different leagues. They're in for DLC for sure.

Springman: Another character I thought was a lock. ARMS was a new IP so I really don't think they would have gotten the Greninja treatment. DLC for sure.

Celica: I used to think she was really likely. She has relevance on her side, but I don't see another unique FE character getting in this game, atleast until DLC. Maybe she could be a Robin echo?

Porky: Earthbound could use a villain, and Porky is the most recognizable. But, there really isn't any hard fan backing for him and he fits better as a boss.

KOS-MOS: Recently appearance in XB2 as a blade, but I doubt that matters. Namco likes to use her in crossovers, so they may want to put her in Smash. She doesn't really have too much support and her only real chance is if Sakurai thinks she would be a unique fighter.

Travis Touchdown: I really do think he has a chance. Suda51 has done a lot for Nintendo, and is friends with Sakurai. A new No More Heroes game is coming out soon, so they may have coordinated that. Snake got into Brawl as a request from Sakurai's friend, so Travis might get in the same way.

Shantae: I do think she has a chance. She is popular and has history with Nintendo. I think the biggest issue is that Wayforward is an American company and would be hard to communicate with, something Sakurai likes to do. I just don't see her getting in as a fighter.
Possible Echoes that I could see being added that I didn't include on my roster.

2ε : Funky Kong: I think he has a good shot. He was recently in the Tropical Freeze DLC. He's been apart of the Country games for longer than Dixie, and was included in Mario Kart Wii because he was an easy skin of DK. I don't see us getting K. Rool, Dixie, and Funky though. So, it's either Dixie or Funky and I just think Dixie has the edge.

10ε : Ninten: I've been warming up to the idea of Ninten getting added. You could complete the trilogy and be done with the Mother series. I think the main thing holding him back is that there really isn't a reason to add him. Mother doesn't need a third rep, and there are other echoes that are more deserving.

14ε : Dry Bowser: Dry Bowser is a constantly recurring enemy in Mario games, and is prominently featured in spin-offs. I could maybe see this happening, but I don't think there is really a good reason. He works better as a skin swap.

17ε : Hilda: She makes some sense, In ALBW, she pretty much is Zelda's echo. She would be a pretty easy echo to make. But, she isn't popular at all and probably won't show up again in the Zelda games,

27ε : Galacta Knight: Meta Knight has a new updated Galacta Knight skin with a new mask so I think this kind of deconfirms him. I guess he could still be an echo, but with Samus getting her Dark Samus skins removed, I doubt it.

42ε : Tetra: She could be a Toon Link echo. Change the bow to a gun and boom. I don't know if she's popular enough to be an echo, nor does she really have a reason to be, but you never know.

54ε : Medusa/Viridi: These two were a thought I had, we'd only get one though. Viridi could work as a Palutena echo, but she's still in the background of Reset Bomb so I doubt it. Medusa could work pretty well, you we'd get another villain, but I don't know how well she would work as a Palutena echo.

55ε : Ms. Pacman: Here's one that would work well. I could see her getting added I guess. I think she'd work better as just an alt costume. I also think that Namco wouldn't want her in because they didn't create her and are trying to distance themselves from her.

57ε : Malos: This is a strange one. Malos technically has a Monado and can use arts, just change Jump to Eater. The problem is well, it would be kind of weird without Rex in the game. If Rex does get in though, Malos makes a lot of sense as Shulk's echo.

63ε : Jeanne: This could actually happen. Bayonetta 3 is coming out in the future and the more representation the better for that game. I don't know if Sakurai would want to add another Bayonetta though. Plus Bayonetta still has her heavily Jeanne inspired outfit.

71ε : Felix: Assuming Isaac gets added, a lot of people think Felix will get in as his echo. While that is certainly possible, I don't see it. Richter got in because him and Simon share the moveset. Felix doesn't really have a reason to get in.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Anything above 10 newcomers is being a little too optimistic, so I am not counting Inkling, Snake, or Wolf. I kept all of Sakurai's choices for Wii U/3DS and just added 10 more characters. My list is devised so that all characters with a *transform/swap-out* only take up a single square. I don't count stuff like Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard as separate characters when they were presented as a single fighter in their Brawl debut.

Blue Border = What we already have.
Yellow Border = What we need/should get.

Wii U-3DS Roster.png

Plus, I love the idea of the 64 characters on the screen hearkening back to the N64 Smash.
*WHERE IT ALL BEGAN*

You'd think Sakurai would include the following seeing as how they have been in the majority of fan-made rosters since before Brawls release: Ridley, King K Rool, and Rayman. The man still hasn't taken a freaking hint?!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's been a long time hasn't it?

Well, here's my roster of characters for Smash Switch:

This is a hypothetical roster with no cuts, there are a total of 10 newcomers and 2 veterans, making for a total of 70 characters.

Without further hesitation let me explain my choices:

Dixie Kong: A fan favorite among many DK fans and has been brought back into the limelight with Tropical Freeze, can use her hair to attack her enemies as well as things such as her Bubblegun and even her guitar.

King K. Rool: A popular request amoung fans, even getting a Mii Fighter costume as DLC. He could use things such as his crown, cannonballs, and even the Blunderbuss.

Tetra: A character that has shown to be a favorite among Zelda fans, recently she was the poster face for Hyrule Warriors Legends on 3DS. (Could also be Wolf Link however) Could use tools such as her cut lace and pistols to send her foes flying.

Ice Climbers: The most glaring omission in Smash for, their comeback would make fans across the board extremely happy.

Bandana Waddle Dee: A character who has had a stellar track record in the Kirby series and is popular among fans. Could use his spear and even the Beam Rod and a Parasol to attack his foes.

Wolf: Another glaring omission in Smash for, his addition is bound to make fans happy.

Decidueye: A very popular Pokemon from Generation 7, he could use his leaf-based attacks and archery to deal damage to his foes.

Fiora: A very important character to the first Xenoblade and a popular character among fans of the game, she could use her dual-wielding skills as well as her Drones to deal damage to her opponents.

Elma: Due to when the project plan was likely decided, I've decided to go with her over Rex and Pyra due to her game being out for longer, and having more information available. Could use the Tension Points system from her game to become stronger in battle, and finish off her opponents with Overdrive.

Chorus Kids: Made famous by the Gamatsu Leaks, and further supported by a Rhythm Heaven icon in the Wii U versions files, this trio could sing together in unison, and use attacks inspired by the various Rhythm games in the series.

Inkling: Confirmed

Rayman: Now this was a hard pick but I decided to go with Rayman due to him having a long history with Nintendo, being the mascot of Ubisoft, and as well as being a popular request from fans. He could use various attacks from his game to damage his foes.

Now for some honorable mentions I considered:
Captain Toad
Wolf Link
Sylux
Celica
Rex and Pyra
ARMS character (Likely Spring Man)
Bomberman
Snake
Travis Touchdown
Geno

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Here's what I'm kind of expecting. This roster has 67 playable fighters: that's 7 brand new characters,2 returning veterans, with the potential of having a couple re-worked characters in as well. Though most of the new fighters listed are added to fit a "niche" which is a huge cop-out but I'm here explaining it anyways.

- Ashley could be replaced with any other newcomer from a bigger IP, (Zelda/Mario/Kirby). I just feel that her popularity has enough merit to justify making her playable. Allowing her to inflict debuffs of sorts onto other fighters seems interesting, and she was able to receive a Mii Fighter costume based off of herself.
- King K. Rool could be any other DK character. I feel the demand for a character has been pretty high. K. Rool is just the one I think can be more unique, and like Ashley, he saw a Mii Fighter costume added. He's on the mind.
- Wolf was a character that got a kind of weird amount of outcry for being cut. I've heard a lot of people wanting him to come back, and I think it's plausible.
- Decidueye could be any Pokemon really, but objectively I think it makes the most sense. The fighting archer does boast promise for a unique moveset. Assuming Link doesn't start using his bow a whole lot more.
- Ice Climbers are likely to return, assuming the Nintendo Switch doesn't have issues running multiples of them. I guess they get to act as the "retro" character for this game.
- Rhythm Girl could be anyone from Rhythm Heaven. Honestly it would probably be smarter to put in the Chorus Kids, but I love how Ko Takeuchi designs girls so I'll put who I want on lol. I feel that this is the time to finally give Rhythm Heaven the spotlight it's deserved. Assuming the Chorus Kids ran into similar problems the Ice Climbers did, if the Switch can run well with them, I believe they'll show up.
- Professor Layton could be any new Guest fighter. I just don't know who they could get next. I enjoy Layton, and realistically I see him happening before Crash or Quote (other fighters I'd like), so I decided to put him in there.
- A New Mii Fighter type should probably appear. I don't expect it to be mage-based though, it has to fit a playstyle more than a theme. If I had to guess, maybe something akin to the heavies. Slower and more powerful, a Mii... Tank? Though, I will admit passing a Miigician is terrible for the pun alone. The featured Mii of the new Fighter type would likely be female, I used Guest Mii E since she fit in color-wise. Could be based on D instead iunno.

Couple bonus notes:
- The major draw of this game may be a reworking of it's custom move system. Giving characters actually different specials instead of variations to existing moves.
- Link will likely see changes in how some of his tools work. Perhaps the older versions of some of these moves will be translated into his customs.
- Zelda may see some similar changes like Link, but probably to a lesser extent.
- I think Lucina and Dark Pit may receive some new neutral attacks, to declone them a little bit.
- Corrin's default appearance might change to female Corrin. It's very evident that she is the more popular design, and Fire Emblem Warriors adopted that change. It's a small change, but I figured it was worth bringing up.
- I considered the possibility of upgrading Alph to be playable as a clone-fighter. But I didn't want to go through the trouble of organizing that. It is possible, though.
- I decided against a character from ARMS because, as Yabuki said, it might be too early for one to appear. As much as I'd love Min Min, I've had second thoughts. Granted, I could be wrong. Who knows? Assuming the dev team never changed their plans from the start of development, it's likely an ARMS character just wasn't possible at the time.
- Muddy Mole would make a stellar retro character choice.
- Dillon is cool. Add Dillon pls.
- Something this roster lacks is a surprise. Sakurai loves surprising the fans, so I'm sure someone unexpected is bound to appear. I can't guess the unexpected, so just remember to keep that in mind.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Right off the bat, it's worth mentioning that this is 100% SPECULATION. I tried my absolute hardest to keep my own personal bias out of it, and I think I ended up with something pretty solid as a result. If I had put some bias in here, this thing would look crazy.

In the case you don't know who is who:
Row #1: Dr. Mario, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, Wario, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Yoshi
Row #2: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool / Dixie Kong, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Mr. Game and Watch
Row #3: Pit, Palutena, Marth, Roy / Lucina, Ike, Robin, Corrin, Celica / New FE Character, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Bandana Waddle Dee, Little Mac
Row #4: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja, Decidueye / Gen VII Pokemon, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Takamaru / New Retro Character
Row #5
: Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Villager, Olimar, Karate Joe / Rhythm Heaven character / New IP Character, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Rex, Inkling, Spring Man
Row #6: Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Crash Bandicoot / New 3rd Party / Wildcard, Duck Hunt Duo, Bomberman / New Konami Character, Ryu, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta

Anyway, it's a nice roster of 68 characters. Originally, it was going to be 67, but as I was writing this, I realized I forgot Duck Hunt, so he replaced the random button. He's the god of the third parties, I guess.

That's:
  • 5 cuts (Dark Pit, Lucina, Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner, Mii Swordsman)
  • 11 newcomers
  • 2 returning characters
  • 54 Smash 4 veterans
I think it's a little bit on the low side, but however, it means I can be excited if we do get more than 68 characters. Can't have your expectations lowered if they're already low, right?

Anyway, it's time to get into the nitty gritty write-ups. Let's first start with the cut veterans and some noteworthy returning ones.

Noteworthy Veterans:

Dr. Mario

It may seem kind of odd that I think Lucina and Dark Pit are getting the boot, whereas Dr. Mario gets to keep his own slot, but I think that Dr. Mario's reception has been significantly better than the reception Lucina and especially Dark Pit have received. Alongside this, I believe that Smash 5 Mario could very well get a slight moveset changed to be more centered around Super Mario Odyssey, somewhat like how Smash 5 Link is based heavily on Breath of the Wild. Due to the differences moveset changes could bring, I think that Dr. Mario now has some reason to stay in Smash, because the gap between him and Mario continues to grow wider and wider.

Ice Climbers

They're highly requested, missed greatly, and now, they have no 3DS to hold them back. I'm thinking they're coming back as a fairly solid lock.

Wolf

Wolf definitely isn't as missed as the Ice Climbers had been, but with his recent appearance in Star Fox Zero and how he seemingly did EXTREMELY well in the Smash Ballot, I can see him coming back with some fair ease. Not to mention, Star Fox certainly isn't a series who is currently overrepresented, it's just Fox and Falco right now. I don't think anyone would be upset with Wolf coming back.

Cuts:

Roy or Lucina

I'm fairly certain one of these two will be getting the boot, just because they both fill two similar roles: clones of Marth. I think Roy has a much better shot at staying in over Lucina, because while they both have pretty strong popularity within the Fire Emblem franchise, I think Roy does more to differentiate himself from Marth, and acts as more as a semi-clone whereas Lucina is more of just a straight up clone. Alongside this, I think Lucina could be incorporated as an alternate outfit for Marth significantly easier than Roy could, and Fire Emblem Awakening is already represented with Robin, so it's not like removing her gets rid of her game from the series or anything of the sort.

Dark Pit

He wasn't very well received, and I don't really think anyone is really clamoring for his return. I can see him easily being turned back into what he originally was: an alternate costume.

Mii Fighters

I feel like the Mii Fighters were put into Smash 4 for two reasons:
  • Promote the idea of "everyone can be in Smash!"
  • Show off custom moves
I feel like both of the objectives fell extremely flat however. Mii Fighters couldn't be used online in Smash 4, so a good amount of players never really got to play around with them, and the fact that they're more trouble than its worth to set up. Custom moves seemed to have been a real failure, considering how they're hardly ever mentioned, weren't allowed to be used online, and aren't used in any sort of competitive play whatsoever, despite how they had been planned to be somewhat of a key point of the game. I've found that they're good for a one time laugh when you have some friends over: "Look at Shaquille O'Neal punch Super Mario in the face!" but the gimmick wears thin pretty quickly.

It also doesn't help that Nintendo seems to be pushing Miis to the side pretty hard lately. The Switch's Mii Maker program isn't as prominent as the Wii's, 3DS', and Wii U's, for it's hidden underneath a few menus, and the mobile app, Miitomo, is being shutdown here soon. Feels like their time passed, and no one is really bothering with trying to get them back.

Newcomers:

King K. Rool or Dixie Kong

I think most people can agree that the Donkey Kong series is most certainly getting a newcomer, due to its large demand and relevancy, but who to choose? The ponytail punk or the criminal crocodile? I think that it's really a coin flip at this point. Dixie Kong has some relevancy due to being in Tropical Freeze and Tropical Freeze: Funkalicious Mode, but King K. Rool has popularity levels that only characters like Ridley can compare to. I can see it going either way, but I think King K. Rool may have the edge because his popularity is out of this world.

Celica or New Fire Emblem Character (Lyndis, Hector, Ephraim, FE16 Lord, etc.)

Despite all of the flack the Fire Emblem franchise gets in terms of Smash, I think its newfound popularity with the 3DS games and especially Heroes will continue to bring FE characters into Smash, whether people really like it or not.

Celica probably has the best shot out of the Fire Emblem characters, simply because her timing was really solid. Assuming the roster had been finalized sometime in late 2016 / early 2017, Celica had been in a perfect spot.
  • Fates was too old at this point and had already been represented with Corrin
  • Celica just had a game coming out really soon
  • Lyndis, Hector, and Ephraim hadn't demonstrated their large amounts of popularity through the Choose Your Legends poll yet
  • FE16 has been in development hell for such a long while now, we still don't know anything about it despite being announced nearly 15 months ago
It's most likely going to be Celica if there is going to be a new Fire Emblem character, simply because she was relevant at the exact time she needed to be relevant, but I can still see it going to someone else if the roster had been finalized just a little bit later.

Bandana Waddle Dee

I feel like for the longest time, Kirby's suffered from something similar to The Legend of Zelda series, where the series could easily have more characters, but there's no real reason to add anymore characters, because everyone else is just a one-off character. Well, Bandana Waddle Dee has essentially become the 'fourth star' of the Kirby franchise, appearing in a whole ton of games within the past decade, even some without King Dedede or Meta Knight. Heck, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse featured him as an extremely prominent character, and Kirby Battle Royale's single player story is essentially all about the dude.

He has high demand all around the world, and the only argument against him is that Sakurai tends to be more biased to his own Kirby games, being Dream Land, Adventure, Super Star, and Air Ride. Ignoring the obvious fallacy that Bandana Waddle Dee originated from a Sakurai game, being Super Star, I also feel like Sakurai isn't the kind of person who is willing to ignore the past decade of games just so he can be biased. (Unless it's Ridley, of course.)

Also somewhat worth noting, but this guy is flippin' adorable. Like, look at this. I'm not even a fan of this guy (I'd rather have Gooey as a new Kirby character myself), but jeez. Too cute.

Decidueye or Mimikyu

Pokemon's getting a newcomer, and Gen VIII is most certainly too late. I can't really see them pulling a Greninja. I think it'll either be Decidueye or Mimikyu. Decidueye would have a completely unique style of fighting (bird + archer), finish the starter elemental triangle, and represent an extremely popular starter line (Rowlet). Mimikyu would also have unique style of fighting (fights under a disguise, uses shadows), and also represent an extremely popular Pokemon (Mimikyu itself). I can see it really going either way.

Takamaru or New Retro Character

Obligatory retro character. Sakurai stated in the past he wants Takamaru, so I think it'll probably be Takamaru. I could also see him throwing a curve ball though, with something like Ayumi Tachibana, an Excitebiker, or the Balloon Fighter.

Karate Joe or New Rhythm Heaven Character OR New IP Character

A Rhythm Heaven character was most certainly considered in the past, due to how the Gematsu leak (which is considered to be accurate, but for very early in development) said that the Glee Club kids (or Chorus Kids) from Rhythm Heaven were planned to be in the game, and how data for a Rhythm Heaven character was found in Smash Wii U's character select screen. Despite the Chorus Kids being the more common pick due to the leak, I feel like Karate Joe would work significantly better as a fighter. Plus, he does appear in every game in the series: which is a claim not many Rhythm Heaven characters can make. But, any Rhythm Heaven character could take his place pretty easily.

I also think that this spot could be taken by any new IP character as well. Like Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western, Mallo from Pushmo, Qbby from Qbby, etc. I just think a Rhythm Heaven character is going to take precedent over that, because how they were previously considered at one point. Plus, a rhythm-based fighter could offer extremely unique moveset potential.

Rex and Pyra

Xenoblade is a series Nintendo has really been trying to push for the past few years, and with Xenoblade 2 starting development in 2014, and with how much Sakurai apparently enjoyed the game, I see Rex being a fairly easy pick. Also, it gives the message of "Buy Xenoblade 2!" which is something that is nowhere near a stranger to the Smash Bros. series.

He would obviously use Pyra in his moveset, of course. Maybe even (SPOILER) and (SPOILER) as well.

Inkling

They're already confirmed.

Spring Man

Hot new IP that most certainly had been decently far in development by the time the game's roster had been decided. I can see it being a really easy pick, especially with how much Nintendo's been pushing it as of late. It also gives off the message of "Buy ARMS!" which, once more, is nothing unusual to the series.

New 3rd Party or Wildcard Pick

There's no particular character I'm thinking of here, I just used Crash because he's iconic. This spot can be used as the "WTF?" character, like Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B., or it could be a new 3rd party (Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Doomguy, Tails, you name it). Really, this is just more of an insurance spot. If you're reading this, just insert your favorite character here.

Bomberman or Snake

I think Konami will likely get a new character this time around, due to their early support of the Switch with Super Bomberman R. Whether its Bomberman or Snake, is somewhat of a tossup. Bomberman has the recency, the popularity, the iconicness, and the fact that he's one of the Switch's launch titles, but Snake has veteran status and likely was one of the top picks in the ballot. Once again, I can see this going either way.

Runner-Ups: Captain Toad, Ridley, Waluigi, Paper Mario, New Zelda Character
Characters who I feel may have had a chance, but just missed the cut for one reason or another.

If you want to discuss this roster with me, just quote it in the Smash 5 general or shoot me a PM. We can beef it out. Or you can tell me how cool I am and that all my roster predictions are great. I'd like that, then I'd call you something nice in return.

The Predictions List:

As more characters get announced, I'm going to update this to see if I was right or not.

Last edited:

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Here are my realistic roster expectations:

Here are my over-the-top, third-party infested, and unrealistic dream expectations:

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

A pretty realistic roster apart from Lara Croft and Ridley who probably won't happen lol. I also spent too much time making this.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
About time I got around to making a roster.

VETERANS:
I've organized veterans into a couple of groups based on how I feel about their chances of returning.

LOCKS:
These characters, all from Brawl and earlier, I feel will be in the game 100%. :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario::4dk::4diddy::4gaw::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4samus::4zss::4pit::4marth::4myfriends::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4mewtwo::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4olimar:and:4sonic:.

All of these characters are extremely important for their respective franchises and are definitely series staples that I'd be shocked if they were to get cut from the game. Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Ness, and Captain Falcon stay because of how they've pretty much become synonymous with Smash Bros., and Charizard and Mewtwo as well because of their massive popularity. Nintendo and Sega are constantly on good terms with each other, so Sonic is gonna be back.

BORDERLINE LOCKS:
I am somewhat skeptical about these Brawl and earlier veterans, but the chances of them returning are very high.:4sheik::4tlink::4lucario::4jigglypuff:and:4lucas:.

Sheik, despite not appearing in any main series Zelda games other than OoT, has cemented her place in Smash Bros. with her popularity and uniqueness. Her playability in Hyrule Warriors and the costume in BotW also help her chances. Toon Link stays because it's been clear since Brawl that there has to be a Link clone. However, if Link's moveset is updated entirely as most expect, Toon Link will no longer be a clone, and deserves to stay. Lucario is extremely popular, and returned in Smash 4, defying the expectations of quite a few people. In that case, he's definitely welcome back. Jigglypuff isn't as relevant or popular as she used to be back in the 90s and early 2000s, but she's a member of the original 12, and has always come back. Even though the odd case with her in Brawl (only unlockable after Sonic and everyone else is unlocked, no appearance in the SSE) said that she might actually be lower priority than the rest of the original cast, and I may have somewhat of a personal bias against her, she's bound to return. Lucas returning as DLC in Smash 4 was a result of a ton of outcry from fans, and him being excluded once more would lead to more outcry once again. The Mother series has a huge cult following, and many would be upset to see Lucas leave again.

EXTREMELY LIKELY:
I believe these characters that debuted in Smash 4 have extremely high chances of returning. :rosalina::4bowserjr::4littlemac::4palutena::4robinm::4greninja::4villager::4shulk::4duckhunt::4pacman::4megaman::4bayonetta:and:4mii:.

Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are both very popular characters (Rosalina moreso if I'm not mistaken), have very unique movesets, and are important to the Mario franchise (Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have been around for quite a while and are recognizable as Bowser's main lackeys, Rosalina represents the hugely successful and popular Galaxy games). Little Mac is historically important to Nintendo, and a highly requested character that deserves to stay in the game after being upgraded from an Assist Trophy. Palutena is basically the second protagonist of the Kid Icarus games, and her popularity combined with being from a Sakurai franchise are enough for her to stay. Robin represents Awakening, which was a huge game for Fire Emblem, is popular according to the Heroes poll, and is a very unique FE rep being primarily a magic user rather than a swordsman. You must live under a rock if you don't think Greninja will return. Its massive role in the anime, as well as it placing 1st on the 2016 Pokemon popularity poll in Japan are more than enough to guarantee its return to Smash Bros. Animal Crossing is a massively popular series all over the globe, and Villager is pretty much guaranteed because of that. Tons of people like Shulk and Xenoblade Chronicles, which is why he got into Smash 4 in the first place, and the huge success of the Xenoblade franchise cements his spot in the roster. Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. both returned in Smash 4, so Duck Hunt can definitely return in Smash Switch. The dog and duck are extremely recognizable, and represent another important piece of Nintendo history. Nintendo can definitely keep a good relationship with Bandai Namco and Capcom, and tons of people would be clearly upset to see Pac-Man and Mega Man removed from the roster, as they are two of gaming's most beloved and recognizable stars that have been around for decades alongside Mario and Sonic. Sakurai would have clearly lost all common sense if he were to cut Bayonetta, after she won the fighter ballot. Bayonetta 2 and 3 being Nintendo exclusives still helps as well. Cutting Mii Fighters would be like cutting 3 entire fighters. Their inclusion allows players to put any character, no matter how outlandish, into Smash Bros., and they represent the entire Wii era onwards.

PRETTY LIKELY:
Once again, a group of characters that I'm not too sure about, but I feel will likely return to Smash Bros. :4wiifit::4ryu:and:4cloud:.

Wii Fit Trainer was an extremely odd character that hardly anyone expected to be in Smash Bros., but Sakurai made it happen. The Wii Fit games were very successful, and knowing Sakurai, he's likely to bring this "out-of-left-field" character back. It's very clear that Nintendo has a good relationship with Capcom, who's always willing to do crossover fighting games (Marvel, Tatsunoko, SNK, Tekken), and Ryu is almost always present in them, being basically the poster boy of traditional fighting games. However, Ryu can end up being switched out for a different representative by Capcom such as a Monster Hunter representative, but his importance to gaming as a whole will likely keep him on the roster. Hopefully Nintendo can keep a good relationship with Square Enix, despite Square being very touchy about their IPs and such. However, if they're fine with letting Noctis from FFXV into Tekken, then Cloud can definitely return to the battlefield, especially with him getting the most requests out of every Final Fantasy character in the fighter ballot.

RETURNS:
Like most others, I predict the return of :wolf:and:popo:.

Wolf was very likely voted for a ton in the ballot, but Bayonetta (and Cloud to an extent) was clearly more popular and got into Smash 4 over Wolf. With the results of the fighter ballot to look at, Sakurai can see how much fans wanted the lycan anti-hero back in Smash Bros., and his return will be greatly accepted, especially if he's given a more unique moveset. Ice Climbers were obviously meant to be in Smash 4, but didn't make the cut because of system limitations. The Switch can definitely handle the Ice Climbers this time around, and nearly everyone wants them to return to the roster.

CUTS:
As you'll notice, there's 5 cuts: :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4feroy:and:4corrin:.

I've decided to cut the first three as separate characters, and decided to make them just alternate costumes, to not have slots wasted by 3 clones again. If Sakurai can't make them have unique movesets, then they're better off as alternate costumes in the vein of Alph and the Koopalings. Doctor Mario being brought back only to get cut entirely once more would be very odd, so a costume would be a compromise. If Mario can wear his doctor outfit in Odyssey and not have different abilities all of a sudden, then it isn't odd for Doc to be a costume and fit in with an updated moveset with Cappy. Dark Pit is literally a clone of Pit. Although I doubt it would happen, if he were to get a unique moveset, I'd be fine with him as a separate character, but he's better off as a costume. Lucina is too popular to cut entirely, but I can't think of any ways to make her unique compared to Marth, so she'll just have to do as a costume, unfortunately.

Roy and Corrin both aren't technically cut, I'll explain what I mean. Rather than choosing one of the two to put in the roster for certain, I've left a blank spot for either one or the other, or a potential newcomer from Fire Emblem. Sakurai has stated that even before adding Corrin as DLC, he felt there were too many representatives for the franchise. The other three (technically 4 with Lucina as a costume) stay for relevance, popularity, and uniqueness, and there's enough room for one more representative from the franchise without it feeling too crammed and over-represented. Personally, I'd pick Roy out of him and Corrin, but the possibility of a new character taking their place is very possible. Because of her clear popularity with the Heroes poll, and how she was an Assist Trophy twice, Lyn could take this slot. Or, we could have a different character from a past game, such as Celica or Alm from Echoes. There's even the very low chance of the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game taking this slot, but as there is no information on the next game other than it's for the Switch and in development, I'm very doubtful.

NEWCOMERS:
I'll go into depth with each newcomer in this section.

CAPTAIN TOAD:
Toad has always deserved to be in Smash Bros. for quite a while now, being the only member of the main Mario 8 not in Smash Bros. (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Toad), and Captain Toad is far better than just your average Toad. Appearing in the Mario Galaxy games, Super Mario 3D World, and eventually his own spin-off game, Captain Toad is clearly a popular character. He has plenty to work with for a potential moveset from his playable appearances, and can have an interesting playstyle/gimmick with the fact that he's constantly wearing a heavy backpack that weighs him down.

KING K. ROOL:
It's about time Donkey Kong got their third rep. Although I'd be fine with Dixie Kong, I always preferred King K. Rool over her for just a single new rep for DK, and I feel a single new DK rep is more likely than 2. Despite his lack of appearances as of late in the newer Donkey Kong Country games, many people still remember King K. Rool, being the main antagonist of the majority of main series Donkey Kong games, and there has been clearly plenty of fan outcry for his inclusion in Smash to the point that Sakurai had made a Mii costume for him. Although he'd be yet another heavyweight villain, he has plenty of potential for a unique moveset based off of his various boss fights in the Donkey Kong series. If Sakurai can bring retro characters such as Duck Hunt back, then he sure can bring an old villain from an important series back in Smash.

TAKAMARU:
Sakurai has stated that he was definitely considering adding Takamaru to Smash 4, but decided against it because not many people would know who he was. There was even the old questionnaire he did leading up to Melee about Smash 64's development, where he stated that if Takamaru were to appear in another game, he'd definitely put him into Smash Bros. After appearing as an Assist Trophy, having his game released on the eShop in the west, and having an attraction based off of his game in Nintendoland, Takamaru shouldn't be too unfamiliar now to western audiences. He'd perfectly fit the role that Ice Climbers, Pit, and Little Mac all had in the Smash Bros. games they debuted in respectively, a popular retro revival character that fans have asked for (not sure if fans asked for Ice Climbers in Melee but they were retro revival characters anyways). Although he is a swordsman, he has plenty of material to work with from his origin game, and him being a samurai unlike other sword-wielders gives him the potential to have a different style of swordplay than Link or Marth, for example.

BANDANA DEE:
Tons of media for Kirby has shown Bandana Dee as the fourth member of Kirby's quartet of main pals alongside King Dedede and Meta Knight, and he's consistently shown up in the games ever since reappearing in Super Star Ultra. So he's obviously in the running for the fourth slot of the Kirby series. Plus, he's from a Sakurai series, which might get a little bit of priority over some other franchises. Unlike all other characters in Smash Bros., Bandana Dee wields a spear (also a parasol sometimes), which can make for a very interesting and unique moveset.

DECIDUEYE:
In Smash Bros., we already have Charizard, a fire type starter Pokemon, and Greninja, a water type starter Pokemon. Clearly, there's a lack of a grass type starter Pokemon in the game, and Decidueye fits both that role, as well as the role of a representative of the seventh generation of Pokemon games. The likelihood of the eighth generation Pokemon games being released before Smash Switch is very low, with there being a lack of news about those games and the seventh generation just about to end with Zeraora's reveal. In that case, there's still time for a seventh generation representative to be put into Smash Bros., unless another Greninja situation occurs. Regardless, Decidueye has appeared in Pokken Tournament DX as playable, being notably much more popular than the other fully evolved Alolan starters. A moveset based around mostly archery can be very unique as well.

REX (& PYRA):
Sakurai has stated that he really likes Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was also extremely well received in general just like the original XC. The franchise has become super popular, and definitely deserves a second representative in Smash Bros., specifically from XC2, which has even sold better than the original XC. Rex, the protagonist of XC2, can definitely have a unique moveset in Smash Bros. based around switching blades, drives, and such, with Pyra appearing in some way to help him out with certain moves. As development for the game started as early as 2014, it could definitely be a Greninja situation of sorts.

INKLING:
They're confirmed. ...Yep, that's it.

SPRING MAN:
ARMS is a new IP that has been heavily promoted by Nintendo as a competitive game, and has been fairly successful, garnering a pretty sizable fanbase. Even though support for ARMS is basically over, people will very likely remember ARMS because of the very heavy promotion of it. It was clear that Nintendo wanted it to become a big and popular new IP, so why wouldn't they have a character in Smash Bros.? Being the mascot of the game, Spring Man is the obvious choice, but some of the other characters could appear as alternate costumes. A moveset based around the extendable and customizable arms would be very unique, with weapons such as the elemental gloves, boomerangs, dragons, and poppers that all can be implemented in numerous ways.

MACH RIDER:
Remember when Sakurai had purchased a Vifam mecha figure for mostly the little machine gun it had? He wanted to use it for reference. If anything, he was likely planning on using it for reference for a Smash Bros. newcomer character rather than just a simple Assist Trophy or regular trophy in Smash 5. Why would he go that far just to get a toy model for reference for a non playable character? Out of the possible characters that could use a machine gun, I decided to go with Mach Rider. Sakurai had stated he wanted Mach Rider in the Smash Bros. sequel in his post Smash 64 questionnaire, and likely still wants to put him into a Smash Bros. game eventually. He'd fit the role of "WTF retro character" just like Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt perfectly, not being expected at all by players. In the case of a moveset, if Sakurai can give the likes of Captain Falcon an entirely original moveset despite only piloting the Blue Falcon in the actual F-Zero games, then he sure can make an original moveset for Mach Rider based around his machine gun.

RAYMAN:
Ubisoft and Nintendo clearly have a very good relationship, and if any 3rd party company's gonna get a rep, it's gonna be them. And who better than Rayman? He was considered iconic enough to get himself, Globox, and Barbara all trophies in Smash 4, despite not being playable. Not to mention, there's the very well received Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle that released just last year, which features the Rabbids, which were originally from a Rayman game. He'll fit right in with the likes of Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man perfectly, and has a ton of potential for a unique and fun moveset.

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
My Super Smash Bros. for Switch Roster. It's kinda like my wishlist...
All I did was the fonts and textures. Made in Photoshop CC 2018
Made by also from Roster Builder 5

Super Smash Bros. V2.jpg

Super Smash Bros. V2 - Starting.jpg

Super Smash Bros. V2 - Alt.jpg

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Base Roster

DLC Roster

My final predictions! This took way longer than it should have, but Smash speculation is serious business.

My Long List of Justifications:

*I know that the base roster is bigger than it’ll probably end up being. I based my base roster on these facts:
-Both Brawl and Smash 4 had 15 newcomers added (I counted each Mii separately).
-Smash 4 added 2 new clones (on top of adding back Dr. Mario)
Using this I added 16 newcomers (due to me believing that Smash 4 assets will be reused), 2 of which are clones/semi-clones.

*No Cuts from Smash 4: I honestly believe that they’ll be using a lot of assets from the Wii U version, so there’s no real reason to cut characters except for licensing reasons (Ryu, Cloud) or time restraints.

*Mario will use Cappy in his moveset, but the majority of it will remain the same.

*Link and Zelda will get their Breath of the Wild appearances at the very least. I’m unsure of how much their movesets will be altered.

*Ganondorf will get an updated appearance. I HOPE that he gets a new moveset, but I’m not betting on it.

*Ice Climbers will return. They were programmed into the Wii U version and the only reason they were cut was the 3DS’ limitations.

*Wolf will most likely return, either in the base or DLC rosters. Due to the release of Star Fox Zero and the decent amount of demand for him to be in Smash 4’s DLC, he’s likely to return at some point in the game’s lifespan.

Captain Toad: He’s had his own game on the Wii U, which is now being ported to BOTH the Switch and 3DS. He’s also appeared frequently in mainline Mario games (Galaxy, 3D World, Odyssey). He’s my most wanted character in general and the most likely new rep for Mario.

Ashley: She has had quite a bit of relevancy over the past few years. She was an assist trophy in Smash 4, she had a Mii costume in Smash 4, she was pretty much the MOST advertised character in the Nintendo Badge Arcade, and there is a new WarioWare game coming out this year. If there’s any character that’s getting in based on promotion alone, she’s the one.

Ridley: This one could go either way. The Metroid series doesn’t have any other playable characters besides Samus. Ridley is one of the most requested characters in the entire Smash Bros series. He has appeared in virtually every Smash game to day. However, the “Ridley’s too big for Smash” argument could prevent him from making it in again. It’s all up to Sakurai.

Dixie Kong: DK needs more representation. With Tropical Freeze being ported to Switch and the fact that there were files for her back in Brawl, she has a very good chance. I expect her to be a semi-clone if Diddy Kong. She could also be a DLC character, especially if King K. Rool makes the base roster.

Impa: One of the more reocurring characters in Zelda series. Also has a very large amount of demand. Since Sakurai tends to avoid one off characters, she has a good chance for a Zelda newcomer. My number two in terms of Zelda characters.

Bandanna Dee: He’s essentially the player 4 of the Kirby series. He’s been appearing VERY often in modern Kirby games. He could also be the first spear-based Smash character. My 2nd most wanted character.

Susie: One of my wild card predictions. Planet Robobot was released, supposedly, around the time the roster for Smash was most likely created. Kirby is a big enough franchise for a 5th character, and Susie does have relevancy at the time over other favorites, like Marx and Magolor.

Decidueye: The most likely Gen 7 rep. He’s also the only Gen 7 Pokémon playable in Pokken DX. However, I do think there are other options for another Pokémon rep like Sceptile, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, and Tapu Koko. Anything can happen with the Pokémon series.

Lyn: Alright. I don’t want to here the
“no more Fire Emblem reps” argument. We’re more than likely going to get a FE newcomer at some point. She’s one of the most (if not the most) popular FE character, been an assist trophy since Brawl, and was shoved into Fire Emblem Warriors due to her immense popularity. However, I could see her losing to Celica due to relevancy. She could also be a potential DLC character due to her popularity.

Takamaru: In my opinion, he’s the most likely candidate for a retro rep. Sakurai considered him for Smash 4, but decided against it since he lacked exposure. Now that his game has been released in the West, there’s virtually nothing in his way of making it into the roster.

Octoling: Splatoon has been a MASSIVE success for Nintendo ever since the original launched on the Wii U. While thinking of possible clones/semi-clones for the roster (since there is a chance we will get some like we did with Smash 4), the Octolings made the most sense in terms of relevance and marketability (w/ the upcoming Octo expansion for Splatoon 2)

Elma: I think that Xenoblade Chronicles X is going to get some representation this time around. With plenty of Wii U era characters getting in the roster this time around, I feel that Elma is one of the safer bets.

Rex and Pyra: This is a toss up. Unlike Ridley, it’s not a matter of IF they get into the roster, it’s a matter of WHEN. Since Xenoblade Chronicles 2 began development in 2014, I do think there’s a possibility that Rex’s and Pyra’s designs and mechanics would be worked out by the time the roster was created.

KOS-MOS: This is more of a want than a possibility. I do believe that Bandai Namco is getting a second rep this time around (especially if they’re developing the game). However, there are more likely characters for the spot (Heihachi) and there may be an oversaturation of Xeno characters in the roster.
*Will update

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

I come bringing a roster full of extremely bold predictions, with spicy opinions on their likelyhood. Thus, this is not a roster for safe, "sure bet" characters (for the most part). now, as for reasoning:

• Pauline
She will be this game's Rosalina. Included for being the new popular mario character, as well as being female. Will heavily utilize Mini Marios in her moveset. Think of a mix of Olimar with his Pikmin and Bowser Jr. with his Mecha Koopas.
  • King Boo
like how pauline was in smash 5's rosa, King Boo will be Smash 5's Bowser Jr. aka, unlockable secret character who's a main villain for the mario series, but not THE main villain.
  • K. Rool
pretty obvious. Sakurai realizes his Ballot presence and adds him, also for his villain status.
  • Skull kid
The most popular of the zelda requests, due to the ballot despite his assist status previously, and for his general fan outcry.
  • Sylux
Metroids newfound love for the character is apparent, and finally brings fourth a viable metroid rep that isn't Ridley.
  • Louie
This is where it gets REALLY bold: Pikmin is growing as a franchise. It's got the biggest game in the series yet on its way, and has even garnered its very first spinoff. Louie will be chosen as he will be Pikmin 4's main antagonist, revolving around the story of Olimar and crew going back for him, but finding out he's reverted to his more primal "hungry" instincts. Actively fights against you to stay on Earth, even though they all know he can't stay, to live with the bugs. His moveset will utilize Pikmin's insect enemies, though I'm not sure if he would be riding on a dweevil like some anons think he should, or just running around.
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
I'm not that huge of a fan of the Dee, but he's pretty damn popular, and would round out the cast of "main characters." I predict Sakurai will reluctantly let him past the "Sakurai Bias™️," but will be the only thing to, for the most part.
  • Marx
another EXTREMELY bold prediction, Marx will be added by Sakurai learning ahead of time that Marx will be playable in Star Allies, but the catch is that Marx and the other DLC dream friends were originally planned to be a part of the main game, and were even planned to be there fairly early on, but were pushed back due to Kirby Star Allies needing to release way earlier than planned to help the Switch drought also hence why SA is so rushed as a whole. Sakurai will again show favoritism to his baby superstar, especially since smash as a whole gets a lot of Marx love already.
  • Tapu Koko
Another bold prediction. The roster seems it was finalized in a strange period in Gen 7's life. Not quite Greninja levels of early, but not late enough for it to have fully established itself yet. That's why I think Tapu Koko comes in, as he really established himself during that time. He's an extremely unique pokemon, a legendary that isn't godmode ********, and actually has a significant amount of story relevance. He was also quite popular during that time, not that I think it really matters.
  • New Fire Emblem Protagonist
whoever that may be, you Sakurai is going to be ecstatic to put them in.
  • Wolf
Obvious. Back by popular demand
  • Ice Climbers
same as wolf
  • Rex & Pyra
Obvious inclusion again. Self explanatory.
  • Inklings
already there.
  • Springman
another obvious one, but Sakurai was probably notified about it. I wouldn't say it's too early for him to have been a thing, as I guarantee you ARMS was in development for a long ass time. Also, I predict he will have two alternate costumes, like Little Mac. One will be for Ribbon Girl, and the other for Springtron.
  • Starfy
inclusion of a character from a "new" series to the roster. Will be touted as the next assist-to-playable character like Mac, even though Skull Kid would have technically done it first, though Starfy will probably have his own trailer, while skull kid will be a secret unlockable character.
  • Chorus Kids
Another semi-bold prediction. I still believe that the Gematsu leak was legitimate, but Chorus Kids got cut from development early on in smash 4 for the same reason as IC.
  • Chibi Robo
another "new" series to the roster, also a fan favorite that was included due to fan outcry
  • Takamaru
Sakurai's original pick for the retro character of Smash 4. He eventually decides that he is viable enough to be added, due to his positive reception to his game being added to the E-Shop worldwide.
  • Labo Robot
the WTF character of Smash 5. Sakurai probably saw early stages of LABO from nintendo, and I guarantee you that **** was in development for a while as well, as it's too complex of an idea to just **** out of nintendo's ass in a year. I think the Labo robot specifically will get in, due to it being the left over asset taken from Project Giant Robot, so the character's concept would have been around for a LONG ass time and probably the first thing they added to LABO itself.
  • Alph
simply a last minute clone that Sakurai could add
  • Dixie Kong
see Alph
  • Eggman
will be Smash Bros first ever Thirdy Party rep to join a series already repped (not company, but series). Also due to insane popularity, probably even Ballot related, and the potential for an insane moveset.
  • Banjo & Kazooie
Another one of the most requested Third Party characters, being pushed from literally everywhere, including microsoft themselves. Has an extremely strong history with Nintendo, and can be counted as one of the Pioneers of gaming forms, being 3D platformers (other than mario of course)

There, finished. Damn, that took longer than expected.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
So, a new Smash is coming out soon, huh?. Well, I think it's time for a roster speculation...

So yeah, I am saying that there will be 74 characters, with 15 of them being newcomers and 3 of them being veterans from Brawl.

Regarding new IPs, I would say Splatoon, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Brain Age, Nintendo Land, Bomberman, Tetris, Dragon Quest and Rayman could be represented this time around, without including the returning of Ice Climber and Metal Gear.

That's it. I will look forward to see how accurate my roster was.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
SmashSwitchRoster.png

Here is my personal prediction roster. I personally expect a bit on the high end of characters given how many of the characters can have their assets easily moved from Smash 4. 20 Newcomers, 3 Returning vets, 81 characters in total.

Reasonings
No Cuts- Honestly I feel a lot of data will be ported over from Smash 4. I struggle to see Lucina, Dark Pit, or Cloud get cut.
Wolf - SF Zero happened, Wolf makes sense to come back
Ice Climbers- No 3DS to stop them this time
Snake - Konami might be awful, but Snake is popular and would make people hype for the game

Newcomers
Pauline - Uses Cappy, represents Odyssey
Captain Toad- Being pushed a lot in Mario lately, makes sense
K Rool - Villain, extremely popular
Dixie - Popular, female, potential Diddy Semi clone
Ganon - Zelda Newcomer, pig ganon with a trident would be sick
Ridley - I do not feel I have to explain this one
Celica- Token Fire Emblem rep
Decidueye and Mimikyu - Pokemon is hitting its 20th in Smash Switchs development so I can see two newcomers, and these two are the frontrunners
Elma - XCX rep
Rex and Pyra - XC2 rep, I honestly expect both now that I think about it. Watch in a year or two we hear people complaining about too much Xenoblade
Takamaru and Excitebiker - Retro reps, chosen due to popularity on Takamarus side and moveset stuff on Excitebikers
Chorus Kids - I believe in Gematsu
Spring Man- An arms rep makes sense, has Ribbon Girl alt
Isaac- Ballot popularity nailed him this spot
Crash - N Sane Trilogy, would be great to see another Mario Rival
Rayman - Ubisoft, popular character, makes sense to me

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice

Wasn't satisfied with other roster makers so I actually decided to draw out my own dream roster.

I don't want any unique characters to be cut from the roster, but Snake due to his circumstances I don't think is ever returning. The Mario on here has Cappy integration, Wario has more Wario Land influence, Link+Zelda are the BotW version, Sheik is TP Sheik, Ganondorf is OoT Ganon, and Sonic gets reworked to have the boost.

There's new franchise representation in Mysterious Murasame Castle, Chibi-Robo, Rhythm Heaven, Dillon's Rolling Western, ARMS, and Puyo Puyo. The entire roster is 70 characters, excluding the two other Mii Fighter variants.

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
My roster of All Stars. I’ll lay out some ground rules. Characters don’t need much to play completely different from anyone else, just look at Melee Fox and Falco. In defining an All Star, I don’t like adding flavor of the week Pokemon or Fire Emblems because just as they are relevant, they will be forgotten fast. Characters like K. Rool are definitely more iconic than characters like Corrin and Rosalina. If they weren't, we wouldn't have as many people wanting K. Rool who are then disappointed with Corrin. To determine who is an All Star, I’ll be using a math estimation of how much the character appears out of the total screens in the series. Critical acclaim is also a factor because it adds staying power to the games the character is from.

Newcomers
  • Inkling
  • Dixie Kong - A Kong with a prehensile ponytail with her own game.
  • Ridley - A space pirate dragon boss who always seems to come back, whether through cloning or as a robot. He would fight with bouncing fireballs, flight, and air grabs.
  • Isabelle - Your clumsy town secretary from Animal Crossing. She’s the mascot for the games and is well liked by people who like Animal Crossing.
  • Tom Nook - An Animal Crossing shopkeeper who is infamous for keeping you in debt. He was the icon of the series before Isabelle, and remains the most recurring and important Animal Crossing character. I’d argue he’s more fitting and deserving than Villager who is just a customizable avatar.
  • Ice Climbers - They appeared twice already in Smash and are heavily requested. You can’t get rid of him, they’re like Jigglypuff.
  • King K. Rool - The main villain of Donkey Kong. He is also the most requested of any character to be in Smash. With the Internet causing more focus on past video games since there people who actively seek out old games to review, K. Rool has become famous despite not appearing in many new games.
  • Waluigi
  • Daisy
  • Isaac - From the Golden Sun RPGs that rivals in size series like Punch Out and Kid Icarus. His series could be revived through Smash.
  • Fire Emblem Switch’s hero
  • Rex & Pyra - The heroes of the biggest Xenoblade.
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rayman
Cuts
  • Dr Mario
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Roy
  • Bayonetta
  • Greninja
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Lucas stays because I think Nintendo will capitalize on Earthbound’s growing fans with an HD remake of the three games. If Undertale can make so much money, why not the original?

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
"SAFE" ROSTER
If this game were to be a port (which I don't think it will be) this is what I think the roster would be.
The complete roster of Smash 4 returns, with all DLC available on the base roster.
Ice Climbers and Wolf return. Alph is separated into a clone character with a few minor differences from Olimar.
Most characters are unchanged, except for Link who gets a new design and a few BOTW moves.

Ten newcomers:
-Captain Toad (most likely new Mario character, relevant for appearing in lots of recent games)
-Dixie Kong (fan-requested Donkey Kong character, likely performed well in the ballot, relevant due to Tropical Freeze)
-Impa (recent roles give her increased moveset potential)
-Bandanna Dee (increasingly prominent character within a franchise that has had many games recently)
-Decidueye (recent-gen Pokemon with a cool design and moveset potential that might catch Sakurai's eye)
-Elma (Xenoblade is increasing in prominence, lots of moveset potential)
-Chorus Kids (evidence of a Rhythm Heaven character cut through Smash 4's development, finally implemented)
-Inkling (already confirmed)
-Bomberman (big-name third party, lots of history with Nintendo, presence on the Switch)
-Rayman (big-name third party, close connections to Nintendo nowadays, already has a trophy in Smash 4)
GENEROUS ROSTER (with DLC)
A lot less conservative than my first roster. Includes ideas for possible DLC.
Wolf and Ice Climbers return.
Mario's moveset rehauled to better reflect his legacy, with emphasis on Odyssey.
Link and Zelda rehauled to reflect their BotW appearances. Sheik and Ganondorf given original designs influenced by BotW.
Samus redesigned to resemble her Samus Returns look, slightly retooled.
Star Fox cast redesigned to their Zero appearances, movesets largely the same.
Villager given a redesign to reflect New Leaf.
Dark Pit and Lucina altered to become semi-clones. Alph separated and turned into a semi-clone.
Only cut is Cloud. I just have a feeling that if it is not an enhanced port of Smash 4, Square Enix will be stingy about Cloud's return. He may be the next Snake.

Newcomers:
-Captain Toad (see above)
-Pauline (major importance to Nintendo's history, relevant due to Odyssey, perfect off-the-wall Sakurai pick)
-Dixie Kong (see above)
-Impa (see above)
-Bandanna Dee (see above)
-Pokemon character (possibly Decidueye, another Sun and Moon Pokemon like Mimikyu or Lycanroc, or an 8th gen Pokemon as an advertisement for the unannounced Switch game)
-Isabelle (extremely prominent and popular character, can represent the aspects of AC that Villager does not)
-Elma (see above)
-Excitebike (important Nintendo legacy character, unique for fighting on a bike)
-Takamaru (Sakurai has expressed interest in this character, more relevent than ever before)
-Chorus Kids (see above)
-Chibi Robo (underdog character with infrequent but steady appearances through the years)
-Wonder Red (Nintendo is close with Platinum Games as evidenced by Bayonetta's appearance, moderate success on the Wii U)
-Inkling (already confirmed)
-Bomberman (see above)
-Rayman (see above)

Last-Minute Clones:
-Dr. Mario
-Celica (Marth clone)
-Octoling (Inkling clone)

DLC: will likely draw from popular ballot characters to maximize $$$, or characters who debuted too recently to make it on the base roster. These ideas are less predictions, and more just brainstorming.
-Waluigi and/or Paper Mario (popular Mario characters)
-King K. Rool (extremely popular pick, Mii costume possibly included as a "consolation prize")
-Midna (popular Zelda character - but could easily be Skull Kid or Ghirahim instead)
-Ridley (extremely popular pick, possible redesign in Metroid Prime 4 may make proportions no longer an issue - however if Sylux or Dark Samus play a big role in Prime 4, either of them could get in instead)
-A Fire Emblem character (possibly from the unannounced Switch game)
-Marx (increasingly popular due to Star Allies, plus a character from a Sakurai-made Kirby game)
-Pokemon (any character Game Freak will try to push)
-Rex & Pyra (characters who may have come a little to late to make the base roster, unique moveset potential makes them a standout for Sakurai)
-Dillon (another underdog, Nintendo really seems to be pushing his games despite the little attention they receive)
-Spring Man (another character who seems to be too late to make the base roster, represents a big new IP and has lots of unique moveset potential)
-Wildcard Third Party character - the sky is the limit! Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter, Shovel Knight, Jibanyan, Banjo & Kazooie, Phoenix Wright, Slime, Travis Touchdown, Arle Nadja, Minecraft - who knows?

UNREALISTIC PERSONAL IDEAL ROSTER
Don't really need to explain this one. I add many characters I want, regardless of their likelihood. I also dropped a few characters who I don't care for. Ideally, most of the veterans would be changed to be more accurate to their original games.

EDIT: Post-E3 Prediction
UltimatePrediction.png
Newcomers have green borders, "echo fighters" have yellow borders.

I'll give reasons for each of the new characters, but first I want to explain why I think this many characters isn't unreasonable. I know that Sakurai explicitly stated "don't expect too many new characters," which has a lot of people thinking there will only be one or two more. Personally, I think ~10 new characters is definitely possible and still fits with Sakurai's statement (that would be less than the amount of new characters added to Melee!) Especially when three of them are clones that take next to no effort.

Simon Belmont: at least one third-party character is close to guaranteed. They have been a staple of Smash since Brawl, and they are great for bringing fanservice and hype, something which Ultimate is clearly trying to do. He has been long requested and has a deep history with Nintendo. Not to mention, he has been rumoured to be in the game by a number of pretty reputable people. I think his inclusion is looking decently likely.
King K. Rool: they added Ridley, so K. Rool is the next "big guy" to add. Ridley was clearly added as a special treat for the fans. Sakurai knew he was one of the most popular picks and included him fully knowing people would explode with hype. Well, King K. Rool is in pretty much the exact same boat as Ridley was. Many speculate that his inclusion as a Mii Fighter costume was a "consolation prize" for his fans, indicating that he probably placed quite highly in the Smash Ballot. Yes, you can still make the "relevancy" argument, but lets be real here, if Sakurai wants to add him, he will. Ridley's curse of being "too big" is clearly no longer an issue - it seems that Sakurai can and will bend 'rules' to please the fans.
Elma: Xenoblade is an increasingly relevant Nintendo series, and I think Sakurai will want to represent that. She was most likely relevant just around the time the project plan was being drafted, and I'm sure her unique design and moveset potential would have piqued Sakurai's interest. Plus there's the whole thing with the mecha figurine that may point toward her inclusion.
Pokemon Character: A new pokemon is a pretty likely inclusion, but I really don't feel confident enough to predict which one specifically - its always a tough series to guess. I don't think Decidueye is as much of a shoe-in as people initially thought; there are plenty of other popular and recent pokemon that could have a pretty good shot (Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Incineroar, an Ultra Beast)
Paper Mario: in every Smash game so far, the Mario series gets a new character in some form. I don't think this trend will change - its Nintendo's biggest franchise after all. Waluigi has already been confirmed as an assist, and, and as much as I'd like it, I don't think Sakurai will see Toad as an "exciting" or "interesting" choice. I think Paper Mario is the next in line for a Mario character. I just have a good feeling about his inclusion.
Rayman: I think at least two third-party characters is going to be the norm for Smash. I think Rayman is quite a likely choice: Ubisoft have a very close relationship with Nintendo these days, so much so that Mario+Rabbids became a thing. Rayman even got a nod in Smash through his trophy. Him becoming playable is just the next logical step.
Dark Samus (echo fighter of Samus): With Ridley's addition, Sakurai has clearly listened to the cry for more Metroid characters. This makes sense given the recent semi-revival of the series, what with the Samus Returns and the upcoming Prime 4. I think there's a chance that the Metroid series could expand to four characters in acknowledgement of its prominence and popularity. Dark Samus could easily be implemented as an echo of Samus, with the phazon effect giving her attacks different properties.
Octoling (echo fighter of Inkling): the Splatoon series is definitely important and popular enough to warrant more representation. I think a last-minute clone is a definite possibility, especially given the recent increase in important of the Octolings due to Splatoon 2's expansion. They could have weapons that act similar to the regular Inkling's moveset, but have a different appearance, similar to Dark Pit. For example, Inkling uses the regular Roller, while Octoling uses a Dynamo Roller that is slower but stronger.

Previously I would have put down characters like Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Impa, Bandanna Dee, and Isabelle, but I just don't think they'll make the cut in a game with a limited number of new characters. Its kind of a bummer, as most of those characters I would have loved to see, but I just no longer see it happening. Also, I would have totally included both Spring Man and Rex/Pyra, but I'm starting to think that they are a bit too recent. The lack of any Splatoon 2 representation has me worried that anything after the summer of 2017 is a little too late. However, if they do DLC eventually, I think they will be shoe-ins.

EDIT #2: Post-8/8 Direct Prediction

Not going to make a roster image for this one, but here are my character predictions for the remaining newcomers, ordered by how likely I think they are:
  1. A new Pokemon character: Probably from Sun & Moon, hard to say which. Decidueye, Lycanroc, or an Ultra Beast seem like strong contenders. Every Smash game adds a new Pokemon character, would be weird to not include someone from S&M.
  2. Elma: I just really see her as likely. Xenoblade is a bigger series that Sakurai likes, she was relevant around the time the project plan was created, plus there's the whole thing with the Mecha figurine. Sakurai likes adding female fighters and looks for interesting moveset potential; Elma fits both bills.
  3. Paper Mario: I have a really good feeling about Paper Mario's chances. I think the time for his inclusion is better than ever. I fully expect a unique Mario newcomer, and the other main choices (Waluigi & Toad) have been disconfirmed.
  4. Rhythm Heaven character: I am a firm believer that a Rhythm Heaven character was worked on but scrapped at some point during SSB4's development. Now that Sakurai is making an ultimate, definitive version of Smash, now would be the perfect time to implement this cut fighter. But there is also a chance he will move on entirely, much like he did with Brawl's "forbidden seven."
  5. Banjo & Kazooie: With Ridley and K. Rool, Sakurai is clearly looking at the top-requested characters and trying to add those long-awaited characters who have been asked for since the 64 & Melee days. Fans have always clamoured for Banjo, but grew pessimistic due to the increasing dormancy of the series and licencing issues with Rare and Microsoft. However, I point back to Ridley and K. Rool - what was once seen as impossible is clearly entirely possible.
  6. Rayman: Ubisoft have a very strong relationship with Nintendo nowadays (especially considering Mario+Rabbids). Rayman got a nod in SSB4 with a trophy, so I think him becoming playable is a natural next step. However, there is no precedent for a western third party addition, which might be a barrier for his playable inclusion.
  7. Geno: Same as above, but even more unlikely. Square is very stingy with their characters - I mean, just look at the limited Final Fantasy content in Smash. But as with Ridley and K. Rool, perhaps these characters aren't the pipe dreams we once thought. Who knows?
  8. Skull Kid: Another popular and highly-requested character, though his popularity has dwindled a fair bit since Brawl. Sakurai might include him to acknowledge his huge popularity around the time of Brawl, like he has done with Ridley and K. Rool, and also to give the Zelda series an upgrade in terms of its presence on the roster. However, I put this at the bottom for a reason. The Zelda series has not had a new character since Brawl, and Brawl's newcomer was only another version of Link. Sakurai might just not view Zelda as a series needing another character - he certainly didn't for SSB4, and maybe that hasn't changed.

Realistically I am only expecting the top 3-4, but I wouldn't rule out any of these characters. The last ones could see as DLC if it were to ever happen.

As for echoes...
  1. Impa: Sakurai seems to be answering the fans' cries for more representation of beloved series like Metroid and DK. The third series often considered underrepresented is Zelda - I think Sakurai might slip a LoZ echo fighter to beef up this key Nintendo franchise's representation. Impa is a natural fit for a Sheik echo and is very prominent in the Zelda series.
  2. Isabelle: A popular character who has appeared in other crossovers and promotional material. At this point she is almost the face of Animal Crossing, one of Nintendo's premiere franchises which is undoubtedly deserving of more representation in Smash. She could easily be made into a Villager echo which solves the common issue of her limited moveset potential. Also, her assist trophy has mysteriously disappeared...
  3. Shadow: Simon & Richter have proven that third-party franchises can indeed get more than one fighter. If one other guest character were to get an echo it would surely be Sonic, a series with even more relevance to Nintendo than Castlevania. Shadow is very popular, and his assist trophy is also nowhere to be seen.
We could also see the Octolings sneak in very last-minute, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom