• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash for Switch Most Wanted: Likely Picks

featuring_nero_from_the_devil_may_cry_series.jpg
With Nintendo’s E3 conference right around the corner and speculation abound, we thought it would be high time to get in on the action and make some roster predictions of our own. Four Smashboards writers, both current and former, were asked to look at the characters they think are most likely and make a case for the one they want the most.

Scribe
Editor-in-Chief | @ScribeAwoken
In terms of likely picks to make it into the new Smash game, my most wanted character would most likely be Bandana Dee, which is kinda odd coming from me, since I've never actually played more than a few minutes of any of the games he's in - I just love the character designs in the Kirby series and hope the series gets another rep.

As for why I think he's likely, the Kirby series has been going through something of a renaissance for the past few years. He's appeared in every Kirby game since Kirby Super Star Ultra, making him not only one of the few truly recurring characters in the series, but a major part of modern Kirby games. It doesn't hurt that Kirby Star Allies came out the same month that Smash for Switch was announced, meaning there's a new game to cross-promote.

Thirdkoopa
Content Manager | @Thirdkoopa
King K. Rool is my most likely pick as a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. While he isn’t the most relevant character nowadays, he did have a Mii costume, and thanks to the fighter ballots, it’s hard not to see the developers know about his popularity. A third Donkey Kong character has been due for a long time, even without considering the unused files from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. What strikes out to me the most about his character is that, similar to Smash 3DS/Wii U newcomer picks like Greninja and Rosalina, he’s so unique – Nintendo doesn’t have a single other character like him. Nintendo held onto the kremlings even after Microsoft bought Rare, and now I think it’s time to put them to good use.

$$$$
Editor | @emaleigh_o
I think I have to go with Decidueye as my likely pick. Full disclosure: I’ve not actually played any Pokémon games past the third gen. Regardless, I think it’d be great for the final evolution of a grass-type starter to join Charizard and Greninja on the roster. It makes sense, especially since they always add a relatively recently released Pokémon the each new Smash game. Additionally, I think it’s likely the devs will choose a new Pokémon from Sun and Moon. They’ve already added Decidueye to the Pokkén Tournament roster for Switch, so why not Smash too? I just really love its aesthetic. It’s definitely the starter I’d choose if I were to play Sun or Moon, and it seems like it’d be fun to play as with Smash mechanics.

Nova
Contributor | @NovaVsz
Decidueye is my most likely pick to be added to the roster, completing the trio of starter Pokemon evolutions. Sakurai always prioritizes original moveset ideas when creating new characters, and Decidueye offers a lot of flexibility. His moveset in Pokken used his wings and talons when attacking, along with a series of arrow based attacks, which would provide plenty of inspiration for Decidueye’s moves in Smash. As for specials, his signature move Spirit Shackle can be a decent neutral special, while moves like Leaf Blade, Brave Bird and Sucker punch could be decent choices for his side, up and down specials. With all of that, I think it would be a really fun character to play if he somehow gets added.

Hangman
Former Contributor | @HangmanXII
This is gonna sound crazy, but I honestly think Labo Man or whatever they’d wanna call the little cardboard cutout guy would be a great addition to Smash. He’s got a lot of moveset potential thanks to the different cardboard toys from the Labo kits, and he could probably incorporate the Joy-Cons into his moveset as well.

I know he sounds absurd, but Smash has a history of having characters that represent Nintendo’s hardware - Melee had Mr. Game & Watch, Brawl had R.O.B. and if you wanna stretch things a bit, Smash 3DS/Wii U had the Wii Fit Trainer. Nintendo seems interested in promoting the Labo, plus none of Nintendo's other platforms have any other peripheral or hardware feature you can really derive a character with a moveset from.
Author's note: Out of the characters you think are likely for the new Smash, which ones do you want the most? Let us know in the comments below. And don't forget to check out some of our discussion threads for Smash for Switch at E3.

Scribe

Comments

I want (read: need) Paper Mario.

And tbh, Decidueye is a little "unlikely" to appear since he's not the most popular Gen VII Pokémon. Sure, popularity isn't everything, but that's how it usually goes for Sakurai when choosing a new Pokémon. The most popular Pokémon in Gen VII is Lycanroc, a Pokémon that was promoted much when the games were announced. To further help this, Ash has a Lycanroc Dusk form in the anime, so I really think we're getting Lycanroc over any other Gen VII Pokémon at this point.

Of course, I can see Sakurai putting in Decidueye instead, especially if he decides to base him of Pokkén Decidueye, but other than that I feel Lycanroc is more probable than Decidueye.

Big news everybody.

They are literally adding every veteran back to the series. This is going to be a large roster (though thank goodness not the size of the smash mod of the same name lol).

Edit: I was thinking of the mod Smash Bros Infinite. I know there is a mod called "Smash Bros Ultimate" somewhere.

Last edited:
With all the villains coming back into the game and the addition of Ridley, K. Rool has a real chance imo.

All I Want to See so Badly in SSB5 is Dragonborn in Skyrim because Skyrim is On the Switch.

Just Keeping My Fingers Crossed for SSB5.

P.S I Love Skyrim and Smash!!!

Last edited:
Simon is kinda unlikely...but I want him in regardless.
Incineroar seems more likely though...I want him in bc he’s Tiger Mask and Kane fused together.

king k. rool. like really, it's his time to be in a smash game. we've been asking him for more than 10 years. we had the Kremlings in smash run, we had a mii costume, we have his theme song on the game, and we have an insane amount of support from people all over the world. the smash bros fighter ballot was the biggest proof of that. people want king k rool in not only in the US but also Japan. if ridley can make it in, then let's add out favorite croc. this is not even funny anymore. you know he's popular sakurai... just put him in already

Last edited:
king k. rool. like really, it's his time to be in a smash game. we've been asking him for more than 10 years. we had the Kremlings in smash run, we had a mii costume, we have his theme song on the game, and we have an insane amount of support from people all over the world. the smash bros fighter ballot was the biggest proof of that. people want king k rool in not only in the US but also Japan. if ridley can make it in, then let's add out favorite croc. this is not even funny anymore. you know he's popular sakurai... just put him in already
I haven't really played the DK games and I have almost no idea who K.Rool is. He is still clearly more deserving than Ridley.

I haven't really played the DK games and I have almost no idea who K.Rool is. He is still clearly more deserving than Ridley.
You have to play some of the first DK games! including DK 64. K Rool is a better villain than bowser. Your going to see why people want him in :)

Top Bottom