• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Footsie Guide Prologue

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr

Having trouble avoiding Diddy Kong's f-air? Want to do well at Apex? Then check out the Competitive Footsie Guide on Hurtboxes made by myself and Bam of the People. It can help new or even long-time players understand character hurtboxes, as well as unique options to punish or avoid certain attacks.

Find the video useful? Comment below

Follow me @LarryLurr and subscribe to my YouTube Channel to show your support!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This will come in handy...

By our powers combined, we are innovative gameplay!

Captain Smash... He's our hero...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
hmm....guess I SHOULD crouch more.....though it doesnt make MUCH of a different for Villager..

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
I see people doing this to Z-Samus ALL the time by accident. So many of her attacks hit really high. I always think of Geninja as a character with a huge list of movement and attack options that lower his hurtbox.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
This would have been vital to me around the time I got stomped by a Diddy during that online tournament.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Crouch is THIS effective in Smash? I mean, might as well spam the damn thing against ediots in For Glory mode.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
small characters.... the bane of most zss players

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
It was right time to show hat crouching work really well.

Kirby and Jiggly crouch are the best to attack and counter many punish and avoid projectile.

Some crawling attack are good versus air game sometime.
And Pivot turn are very deadly.
I knew crouching was good.

(Love the music choice of the video, not a dubstep, instead classic nintendo Music, YES!!)

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Phew! That could stand to have some editing, also use a script, but still; baby steps. Not bad though.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I like these basic guides even if I kinda knew about this already. Feels like the thing I need to check back when I'm doing bad or there is a hurdle to cross to the next skill level.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As a ZSSamus main shorter characters can be a bit of a problem because of this....Sometimes shorthop into dair or her Up Smash can be decent alternatives to a dash attack...though be careful using them since they are punishable if blocked or dodged...if I knocked my opponent to the ground and they sometimes stay down and anticipate my dash attack I will sometimes switch it up with an Up smash to pull them off the ground into the air...

Down tilts for any character are pretty decent for getting combos started if your not hitting them with your jabs...

Shog

Smash Ace
Warning Received
What braindead kid made this video EDITING, not the guide itself? It is unbearable bad, stick to text guides sheesh

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
the only character i actually already did this with, is Kirby. It's too obvious he's able to dodge stuff by crouching. WFT also but I cannot play decently with WFT so yeah, kirby it is then...

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
This isn't really a beginners guide, because it is too complicated. And a non-beginner knows all this stuff...
I wish, there were more pictures of hit- and hurtboxes of a few moves in this video

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Saying, "shielding also extends your hurtbox" is factually wrong. Try to avoid saying things like this because you're giving misinformation to players. It simultaneously contradicted your original definition of a hurtbox too.

B0SHI

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smash-Master69
This is why I crouch dash, if you want to know what that is basically you can cancel a dash animation by going to crouch, but continue the momentum of the dash. If you start in crouch and dash with a 1/4 circle up and then 1/4 circle back down, then back up, you will continue to add the previous momentum to your current momentum while remaining (for the most part) in a crouching stance, while keeping a lot of attack options open. As a Yoshi main this is a super viable locomotion option for moving around a stage without giving any definite opening to the opponent. In combination with short double jumps (Yoshi) and the subtractive knockback that he gets while in a double jump you are able to keep Yoshi around forever as the crouch dash allows you to DI a powerful smash attack and the double jump amour helps you DI a good aerial

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Also am I the only one that thinks Samus should have her morph ball as both a crouch and a crawl instead of just her roll?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Would make sense, but her d-tilt would be kinda weird.
Not really, no different than her rolling then using her down tilt...cept this time she's still...

Top Bottom