• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Fighter Music Theme Thread - Next Up: Kirby and Fox!

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
Hey all! I had an idea for an activity to keep us occupied for a while as we wait for Smash Ultimate. We all know music is an integral part of video games, and every major character in them has some piece of music associated with them. That certainly goes for the entire Smash cast! But for any given character, you have to wonder: what is the definitive music theme for them? What strain represents them the best? Well, I’d like for us to try and answer that for all the confirmed characters and see what we come up with.

So what I’m going to do is create a list, and update it every so often to include all the suggestions we get. I’ll start us off with a few obvious ones, but I won’t go overboard, as I want this to be a group effort. I’ll include every serious suggestion we get and the name of the member who suggested it, but at some point, if one character gets a long list going, we may want to determine a frontrunner. So, if you think you have a better option than what’s already suggested, please go ahead and post it, and if you want, make the case why yours is the best. If you can, please link a video or something to your post so we can listen to your suggestion.

So a couple of suggestions for guidelines… Your suggestion doesn’t have to play by these rules, but it might help guide us to the best options.

• Characters that already have a specific theme associated with them should probably use that. It might be a battle theme, a strain played often when they appear, or it might just be called “_______’s Theme”. It might not be the most iconic piece of music, but it should have priority nonetheless.
  • The music doesn’t have to be present in the Smash series, or even necessarily from video games. It’s possible that some characters, such as Pokémon, have music associated with them from anime or movies, or some other medium. If that’s ever the case, feel free to post that too.
  • Characters that don’t have a specific piece of music custom tailored to them should probably use something that is immediately associated with them, whether it be a theme for the series as a whole or from the game they appeared in.
  • No two characters should have the same exact theme. Yes, I know some separate fighters are technically the same person, but I think we can come up with something unique even for them.
  • There may be multiple versions of a character’s theme. If that’s the case, go ahead and post your favorite version. We don’t have to stay in the 8-Bit era if the music is that old (unless that suits you, of course).

So, let’s get to it! Here’s the list:

Mario – Super Mario Bros Ground Theme - Farbietfromme

Donkey Kong – Donkey Kong Theme (DKCR Remix) - Farbeitfromme

Link – Legend of Zelda Theme - Farbietfromme

Samus - Theme of Samus (Samus Returns) - Farbeitfromme

Dark Samus - Vs. Dark Samus (MP3 Version) - Farbietfromme

Yoshi - Yoshi's Story Theme - Farbeitfromme

Kirby

Fox

Pikachu

Luigi

Ness

Captain Falcon

Jigglypuff

Peach

Daisy

Bowser

Ice Climbers

Sheik

Zelda - Zelda's Lullaby (SS Version) - Farbeitfromme

Dr. Mario

Pichu

Falco

Marth

Lucina - Rival - Frizz

Young Link

Ganondorf - Ganon's Castle - Farbietfromme

Mewtwo

Roy - Beyond the Sky - Frizz

Chrom

Mr. Game & Watch

Meta Knight

Pit

Dark Pit

Zero Suit Samus

Wario

Snake

Ike - The Devoted - Farbietfromme

Pokemon Trainer

Charizard

Diddy Kong

Lucas

Sonic

King Dedede

Olimar

Lucario

R.O.B.

Toon Link

Wolf

Villager

Mega Man

Wii Fit Trainer

Rosalina & Luma

Little Mac - Punch Out!! Theme - Farbietfromme

Greninja

Mii Fighter

Palutena

Pac-Man

Robin - Id Hope - Frizz

Shulk

Bowser Jr.

Duck Hunt

Ryu

Cloud

Corrin - End of All (Below) - Frizz

Bayonetta

Inkling

Ridley - Vs. Ridley (SSBB Version) - Farbietfromme

Simon

Richter

King K. Rool

Isabelle

So, I’ll go first. I’ve included suggestions for Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Dark Samus, Zelda, Ganondorf, Ike, Little Mac, and Ridley. If you think any of these are the wrong choices, please say so and suggest an improvement.

In any case, I look forward to listening to your suggestions! Have fun!

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
For Robin, there's a plentiful amount of themes you could choose from in Fire Emblem Awakening. I feel that the Ablaze themes work especially well since the "war" or "battle" vibes you get from the songs correlate to his position of the Shepherds as lead tactician/strategist. Then again, Robin makes an appearance in Fire Emblem Fates through his Super Smash Bros. amiibo, and the battle theme they chose for when you fight against him is Id Hope. That's essentially "Robin's Theme", and I wholeheartedly agree. It uses bits of other Awakening songs, and what better song to have as a theme than a mix of several songs from the game he starred in? There's no more well-suited song to serve as his theme, if you ask me.

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
For Robin, there's a plentiful amount of themes you could choose from in Fire Emblem Awakening. I feel that the Ablaze themes work especially well since the "war" or "battle" vibes you get from the songs correlate to his position of the Shepherds as lead tactician/strategist. Then again, Robin makes an appearance in Fire Emblem Fates through his Super Smash Bros. amiibo, and the battle theme they chose for when you fight against him is Id Hope. That's essentially "Robin's Theme", and I wholeheartedly agree. It uses bits of other Awakening songs, and what better song to have as a theme than a mix of several songs from the game he starred in? There's no more well-suited song to serve as his theme, if you ask me.
Excellent! Thank you so much for your suggestion, Frizz. I think you hit the nail on the head. I haven't played Fates yet, although I actually have Birthright coming in the mail. It would be interesting to note what music plays for the other Smash amiibos as well. We might get some clues for other FE characters by doing that. I looked up what they used for Ike, for example, and instead of Eternal Bond they used The Devoted, which is cited as the theme for the Greil Mercenaries. That may be a better choice than what I have, I mostly chose Eternal Bond because it has been called "Ike's Theme". It was used in the endgame of Part 3 in Radiant Dawn, I know, but perhaps I should change it.

Alright, hopefully I can jumpstart some discussion. The next two characters that need themes are Samus and Yoshi. Lets take a look at them.

There are quite a few iconic Metroid tunes that could work for Samus, but there is one in particular that has been labeled as her "theme". Introduced in Super Metroid and appearing in subsequent games such as Metroid Prime 3 Corruption and Samus Returns, I think the rendition of the Theme of Samus provided by the latter is an excellent choice for this thread. Any dissent?

As for Yoshi, things aren't as clear cut. There are a number of options out there, certainly, but I don't think there's any one we can point to as his "theme". Now, I haven't played all the Yoshi games, but I have played enough to identify a few possibilities.

I think as Smashers, one of the first to come to mind is the Yoshi's Story Theme. It has been used as part of Yoshi's stages and theme music often in Smash, including his victory animation. That said, it's only been used in one main game as far as I know, although a variation was found in Mario Super Sluggers.

An alternative that has appeared in more than one game is the Yoshi's Island Theme. It is the opening music for one of Yoshi's most iconic and best loved games, and has been used since in Yoshi villages and the like in games like Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. Interestingly, it has also appeared in the Yoshi themed version of Tetris Attack. It could be argued, however, that this theme is not directly for Yoshi himself, but rather for his villages in general. Still, I thought it should be mentioned.

So, Yoshi fans, what sounds best? Does one of these work, or there another theme that fits him better? Hopefully we'll get some input!

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'd definitely like to see a revival to this thread, so I'll contribute further.

:ultmarth: - Probably Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon's Fire Emblem Theme, their recruitment theme (Come, Join Us), or Fire Emblem Fates' Path of the Hero-King, which is just a remix of the Strike! theme from his games.
:ultroy: - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade's Beyond the Sky, which I heard got remixed in Fire Emblem Heroes and in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
:ultcorrin: - End of All (Below) from Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation.
:ultlucina: - Rival from Fire Emblem Awakening. When you fight her in Fire Emblem Awakening's Chapter 4: Two Falchions, this song plays. This is also her theme in Fire Emblem Fates.
:ultchrom: - Hard to say, actually. It'd have to be one of the battle themes. But which one exactly? There's so many to choose from. Maybe Prelude (Ablaze)? Or Duty (Ablaze)? How about Destiny (Ablaze)? Conquest (Ablaze)? I can't imagine it being Divine Decree (Ablaze), Storm Clouds (Ablaze), Chaos (Ablaze), or even Champion (Ablaze), since that's more of Priam's theme, and to an extent, Ike's. Even though it's not really a battle theme, I'll have to go Old Battlefield for him.

I can't argue against Samus's eponymous theme—it's called Theme of Samus for a reason. :p For Yoshi, best bet is to go with Yoshi's Story theme. As you said, it's usually used to represent his villages.

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
Hey Frizz! I really appreciate your interest in this thread. I had given it up for dead, but maybe we can string things along a little bit further. Hopefully someone else will get past the terrible thread title and be interested in contributing.

Your suggestions for the Fire Emblem characters are informed and convincing. I’ll put them down in the OP, and give some thought to Chrom and Marth. I’m a bit of a Fire Emblem enthusiast myself, but probably not as hardcore as you are. I’m playing Fates Revelation now, so I’ll try my best to think about Corrin too, especially when I run into the track you mentioned. It sounds like endgame, though, so it may be a while before I get there.

I’ll also go ahead and put up Samus’s Theme and Yoshi’s Story Theme as well. Although Yoshi’s Island theme is used in more games, I think Story is more iconic, especially to Smash fans. I’m willing to guess that’s what more people would choose here, honestly.

That makes the next two characters Kirby and Fox. Kirby I knew well for a while, so I’ll give him some thought but also give others some time to post. As for Fox, I might need an outside opinion. I’ve played a few Starfox games, so I’ll do some light research, but I’d rather have someone else post a suggestion if they’re willing. We’ll see.

In the meantime, people can of course post about any character they want as well.

EDIT: There, I updated the thread, changing the title to hopefully be a little more enticing. I also added most of Frizz's FE suggestions. I held off on Marth and Chrom for now, as there are multiple options, but I'll give it some thought and we'll hopefully find a consensus soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom