• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Entertainment - Do You Fox Wit It?

Should DK64 Be Banned In Melee Doubles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
This weekend Northern California will be hosting an Apex 2015 Qualifer with a $1,000 pot bonus courtesy of Twitch. They will be using the same venue as from The Next Episode, site of the legendary falcon round robin! For those unaware of the venue spoken of, it is Merritt College in Oakland, California.

That's a lot of shines. GGs Norcal.

The events will include Melee Singles, Melee Doubles, and Smash 3DS. Showdown Smash will stream the tournament. The Apex ruleset will be used with the exception of two modifications:
-Kongo Jungle 64 is banned in Melee Doubles.
-In the event of a stock/percentage tie in a timeout, the players will play a one-stock match on the same stage.
*An official ruleset for Smash 3DS is still to be determined.

Beware the barrel. This must be what all the hooplah is about.

The tournament will be taking place on Saturday, November 15th through Sunday, November 16th and features players such as Flash, Silent Wolf, PewPewU, Shroomed, Mew2King, Hax, and more! Be sure to tune in to catch the stream at twitch.tv/showdownsmash for all the action! Gather with friends and catch the stream, Pay Per View style!

If you know of an upcoming event that you believe should be featured on Smash Entertainment, feel free to send me a personal message!

ITALIAN N1NJA will be keeping his eyes on this. In the mean time he just wants to stay warm and get some hot chocolate to accompany him along side this and Project M 3.5. He doesn't have hot chocolate, but would be happy if you brought him some on Twitter @ITALIANN1NJA.

Last edited:

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
This weekend Northern California will be hosting an Apex 2015 Qualifer with a $1,000 pot bonus courtesy of Twitch. They will be using the same venue as from The Next Episode, site of the legendary falcon round robin! For those unaware of the venue spoken of, it is Merritt College in Oakland, California.

That's a lot of shines. GGs Norcal.

The events will include Melee Singles, Melee Doubles, and Smash 3DS. Showdown Smash will stream the tournament. The Apex ruleset will be used with the exception of two modifications:
-Kongo Jungle 64 is banned in Melee Doubles.
-In the event of a stock/percentage tie in a timeout, the players will play a one-stock match on the same stage.
*An official ruleset for Smash 3DS is still to be determined.

Beware the barrel. This must be what all the hooplah is about.

The tournament will be taking place on Saturday, November 15th through Sunday, November 16th and features players such as Flash, Silent Wolf, PewPewU, Shroomed, Mew2King, Hax, and more! Be sure to tune in to catch the stream at twitch.tv/showdownsmash for all the action! Gather with friends and catch the stream, Pay Per View style!

If you know of an upcoming event that you believe should be featured on Smash Entertainment, feel free to send me a personal message!

ITALIAN N1NJA will be keeping his eyes on this. In the mean time he just wants to stay warm and get some hot chocolate to accompany him along side this and Project M 3.5. He doesn't have hot chocolate, but would be happy if you brought him some on Twitter @ITALIANN1NJA.
WOO SMASH 3DS. im very interested in how the ruleset will be for sm4sh3ds
id love to participate in something like this

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
*sees poll results*

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つLEGALIZE KONGO JUNGLE༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I'm not a competitive player so someone fill me in... what is it about Kongo Jungle that makes it unfit for tournament play? The barrel??

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
And the water
There is no water in the Kongo Jungle 64 stage. (Granted, I didn't clarify that I was talking about the 64 version.)

Tournament people are picky about stages, I must say. I guess I can see why. It would be unfortunate for a stage element to be responsible for a death when the skill level is so high.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Kongo Jungle 64 shouldn't be banned, the barrel just adds another layer of strategy to be taken advantage of by the superior players.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Kongo Jungle 64 shouldn't be banned, the barrel just adds another layer of strategy to be taken advantage of by the superior players.
I agree it shouldn't be banned in doubles, but I disagree with the notion that the barrel can add a new layer of strategy. It's one of the only truly random things in Melee. There's no pattern to the barrel movements, and since it's invisible from the screen most of the time, you can't expect anyone to strategize around it.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Can we assume lack of PM is due to the (at least in part) Twitch presence, and they may be the reason behind PM not at Apex at all?

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
They banning Kongo Jungle because of the barrel!? That a stupid reason to ban it the barrel is not even in the way of the fight, it's that the bottom some where, so how does it mess with the play-style again?

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
A big problem for Kongo in singles is the camping. Peach on that stage makes for a super slow match. In doubles I can see it go either way. Jiggs is already probably the best doubles character, and because you can shark through the main platform with her, she gains another advantage. I think that may have played a big part in its banning. The barrel also makes her already good recovery almost unfair.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Do we know if/when there will be a Wii U qualifier?

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
That seems like an awfully dumb ban if its because of the barrel. Considering that Yoshi's Story has Randall and Yoshi's Island has the Blarggwich, both of which have saved numerous player's lives in Melee, Brawl, and PM. It seems no less fair, in fact it is almost more dangerous to use because right as you attempt to launch it could decide to rotate. The barrel seems like the right amount of "random" to keep it from being a factor in its banning if you keep these thing in mind.

The ability to shark however is definitely a debatable variable, although there have been other stages you can do that in as well.

I'm curious to know the reasoning, regardless.

Last edited:

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
I understand where you're coming from, tho I think it's the barrel + Kongo Jungle has some weird ledge attributes such as being able to pass through the floor of the stage from below- if you think about it this can help Jiggs' recovery along with affecting god-knows-what-else.
Any kind of stage that allows camping doesn't need many other reasons to warrant a ban.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
That seems like an awfully dumb ban if its because of the barrel. Considering that Yoshi's Story has Randall and Yoshi's Island has the Blarggwich, both of which have saved numerous player's lives in Melee, Brawl, and PM. It seems no less fair, in fact it is almost more dangerous to use because right as you attempt to launch it could decide to rotate. The barrel seems like the right amount of "random" to keep it from being a factor in its banning if you keep these thing in mind.

The ability to shark however is definitely a debatable variable, although there have been other stages you can do that in as well.

None of the current legal stages allow you to shark though the main platform, except the edge of battlefield. Brinstar, and mute city got the boot mainly because of this.

Earthbound_PKMN_Trainer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roboticsuperstar
3DS FC
0731-6040-6586
Sheesh ... of course I take a week or so away from smashboards and I miss hearing about this.

I would have loved to go, I might have gotten wrek't had I been able to play seeing as how there are some skilled Smashers here in the Bay Area ... but I would have enjoyed the event none-the-less.

Top Bottom