• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash 2: The Sequel to the Mobile Smash Bros Game

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone!

My name is Joe Hinkle, and I developed Super Smash Clash 3-4 years ago. Here's a link to the old thread for Clash 1. Needless to say, my highschool programming skills were not the best. The final product, while good for its time, is very buggy and in need of much improvement.

I'm now a college student ready to make a sequel, and this baby is going to be amazing. Here's what you need to know about development:
1) I'm livestreaming the entire development on YouTube. If you'd like to see me code for hours, check out my channel here.
2) I'm very open to ideas, and I'm easy to contact during streams. I read all comments here and on YouTube.
3) About 1-3 hours every day should be spent on development, so expect it to be finished within 2 years (if not sooner). SC1 took about a year and a half to make, and I think I spent less time on it (except in the summer).
4) I'm going to need to hire some artists to make characters, levels, items, menu screens, etc. And...
5) I'm going to need to hire some composers for some awesome music. Contact me if you're interested. I'm pretty chill.

Here's a screenshot of the game 6 hours into development:
http://imgur.com/a/GR0mh

And here's a video of the kind of animation style I think we should go for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odMIyWAysHw

Looking forward to seeing what will come of this.

Just to annoy everyone, I'm going to tag all the active users of the old thread.
Shoutouts to:
@Beninator my first skeptic
@Wario Bros. an internet mom, who showed up at the beginning and the end. Hope you liked the game
dettadeus dettadeus the one with good taste in SSB fangames
@Mr.Jackpot who got wifi direct in the game
@pokemongeof not sure who you are...sorry
@MVP great username
@felipe_9595 who made THE BEST content for the game
@xXIke-SamaXx who fell through on his promise D:
@MrMax our first online tester
@Mr Lange the PC gamer
@SpiderMad who also has a good taste in games
@Gene who is completely right about Crusade
@Mr. Mistress not sure who you are either
@[TSON] who tried to donate. Thanks dude!
@Boasting Toast who was the first to give me the best feedback
@4nace the Dan...
@Nominate10 the broken link girl
@SuperBrawler first to tell me what everyone did...iOS is needed haha
@CrossoverMan your spongbob post still makes me laugh xD But you killed my old computer when you uploaded 10 massive imagees one time...
@Mew2King Whoa, I didn't realize it was you at the time. I thought your post were a shameless plug and ignored xD
@The Revolutionary Cafe I think Moga worked. Did it? Also, I doubt you can even wavedash.
@SmasherP83 not sure who you are
InnerMobius InnerMobius DUDE! Your witch girl never made it in. Sorry :( Sad Ark never made it too
@CrimsonDivine a mate. Early supporter. Gave great feedback which I really appreciated. At one point you were commentting almost more than me :D
@Andrew McNamara who is banned now O.o
@Kit Cal-N An early tester
@CabungaToons we never got Ed in the game :(
@Fumi-Chan! Do you have a phone now?
@Karakato Dzo You made the best characters. Nice work! And you have a sweet avatar
@Entai another Apple fanboy :p
@Rocket Raccoon I didn't know premium members existed...hi. And no Lucarios in Goku outfit in sequel...sorry
@Substitution yo Mr. Randoms was like a chef...does that count?
@SheldonRandoms Hey I really liked your Mr. Randoms. Young kids were always a fan of him. Also, it was great Skyping that one time.
brian2524 brian2524 yo biological bro
@LordJumpMad are there words? I still don't know where this character game from...
@Moddingguy that guy with the opinions and stuff
UltimateXsniper UltimateXsniper THE BIGGEST FAN. Love you dude. Saw you on the livestream today. Your missile is OP btw. And your hype train was the best haha
@robro777 another bro
@DonaldDuck Another early tester. Much thank.
@Sailyoshi who made a great point about no microtransaction. Those things suck. Btw, multiman will be in the sequel.
@KeybladeSmasher I hope you will want to contribute your OC to the sequel :D
@TORNADO BUS DRIVER I loled at writing that name
@Undead_terror that username always gives me chills. I hope you review the sequel :D
@CoolGuy847 another Apple nerd
@Tetiro provide your crits on the sequel too bud
@DemonApple I was great Skyping you. Also, I really liked Zig, and I sad I couldn't figure out how to update the iOS version. I'll take a look again sometime..:/
@WitherMan yo...not sure what witherman is. Is it just a weird way to say weatherman?
@itsraeg I remember people like you reminding me my first upload didn't work :/
@UnicellularProteus I don't think I ever beat your highscore...at this point, I've played through classic so many times I can't remember my best haha
@mythbust4000 I'm going to hope the sequel is good enough for competitive
@optimuskirby I like your sprite work. Maybe you could help with the sequel?
Russell_SSB Russell_SSB I hope we can get Stacy in the sequel :D The art style might fit the new animation system well.
@Yangfly Leone Another drop in. Hello again!
@ThirdDay Nice to see you drop in. Just so you know, multiplayer will be in the sequel. Both bluetooth and online.
@zaiman12345 your profile triggers my Christian self, but it was nice seeing you drop in

List of things I want in the sequel:
- online multiplayer (at least 4 player if not 8)
- add friends/friendlist
- bluetooth multiplayer (hopefully 4 player)
- custom stage builder
- custom stage browser
- story mode
- multiman melee
- homerun contest
- "play of the game" like in Overwatch. Also, I want a "play of the week"
- new animation system with Spine http://esotericsoftware.com
- definately rolls, sidesteps and airdodges (by dragging top of screen either left, right, up or down quickly)
- maybe grabs (by dragging attack buttons either left or right quickly)
- Suitable for competitive play
- good items...and lots of them
- pokeballs and assist trophies
- useful settings menu (i.e. actually able to disable items)
- character skins are mod-able...i.e. you can in-app download a character skin and put it into the game or share your own character skins on the store ;)
- replays
- clash cube!!! (or a smash ball knockoff lol) haha it should be a tesseract
- stages which are interactive/dymanic
- voice acting for character moves
- support for steam
- name tags over your character
- boss battles
- a whatever you guys convince me of here

Last edited:

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
The Spine software looks super useful in terms of ease of creation and animation for 2D games, looks similar to the way Brawlhalla does theirs.
IMO, something Brawlhalla fell flat on was their characters feeling all too similar due to the shared skeletons/animations - they all have the same proportions, run/jump the same way, etc.
Are you planning on using different skeletons for different characters or will they share skeletons/animations?

Regardless, I'm interested in how an action/precision oriented game on the phone plays. It's a very ambitious project and I wish you luck!

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
IMO, something Brawlhalla fell flat on was their characters feeling all too similar due to the shared skeletons/animations - they all have the same proportions, run/jump the same way, etc.
Are you planning on using different skeletons for different characters or will they share skeletons/animations?!
I took a look at Brawlhalla. It seems like a fun game, but all the characters are basically the same. I noticed their attacks looks identical and it was the items that gave players the ability to launch different attacks.

I love your idea of having different skeletons for each character. I think that would prevent them all from looking the same!

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Here's a short video of "lockstep pixel movement" I just implemented. I'm not sure if we want to go this route...Spine animations wouldn't agree with this for example.

Maybe the future of this game is pixel art after all?
https://youtu.be/qNr6XsjnxrY

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
It really depends if there are resources for spine such as new or refined artwork for characters. Otherwise, we already have resources for the pixel art and it is probably easier to touch up on them if needed. I guess it comes down to how you view the game and think about the benefits each has. New look on the game that would be a refreshing take, or the old look that gives off a classic style to older games.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I figured since almost nobody watches the livestreams (I don't blame you), I'll also periodically post the major improvements here every now and then. If anything, me livestreaming is just a form of self-motivation. I have to stay focused when streaming. No goofing off and clicking AOE or YouTube.

I've been developing for +24 hours now :D and here's what's in the game so far:
- moving backgrounds (green stickfigure moves..)
- solid virtual gamepad. Button hit zones are very large. You can't miss
- frame interpolation for slow motion and replays
- frame reverting for late packets in online multiplayer
- integer math so that the game never uses floats...making it deterministic and ideal for online play and saving replays
- support for sloped surfaces
- hitbox system is almost done. I'm working hard to support deterministic collision detection with rotated rectangles

Lots of stuff in the weeds I'm not mentioning. I'm setting lots of groundwork.

Enjoy this masterpiece of a game....

http://imgur.com/uNqrjSD

Attachments

Last edited:

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Here's a short video of "lockstep pixel movement" I just implemented. I'm not sure if we want to go this route...Spine animations wouldn't agree with this for example.

Maybe the future of this game is pixel art after all?
https://youtu.be/qNr6XsjnxrY
That was precisely what I wanted for the first Smash Clash, having pixel aspect ratios matter. Having them locked like that is even better, glad to see you're continuing man. It was great working with you last time, however brief that was.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
InnerMobius InnerMobius what do you think of Spine? Also, I'm implementing sloped surfaces which will actually rotate your character while they run along them. Hopefully, this doesn't bother you too much with your lockstep vision of the pixel art. Let me know if you dislike this.

Also, I'm putting lots of work into the collision detection system...which isn't going super well. Needless to say, collision detection with rotated rectangles WITHOUT floats is extremely difficult.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
randomly decided to check and see if i had any notifications around here lol so imma pop into this thread real quick.

pixel art probably won't work very well on mobile for several reasons; the first being that many phones have different resolutions, and high-end phones have crazy resolutions with very small pixels (example, my google pixel XL has a higher resolution than my ~21in gaming monitor lol). to make pixel art/sprites function on a phone you will likely have to scale it up several times, at which point imperfections are much more noticeable (or just use huge sprites, which would be a massive pain to animate). if you're using vector art to make the components of the spine animations i would suggest sticking to that personally, since you can more easily deal with graphics quality across phones. it's probably also way less work to animate compared to sprites in general.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
dettadeus dettadeus great points. We will probably go with non-sprite animations.

Here is a video showing how the new engine can automatically record and play replays of your games. At the end I demonstrate how the can "time travel." This feature is going to help with reducing input lag--especially for multiplayer games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z-3SGZaPtM

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
I'm not dead yet.

Sorry for the long absence. Lots of things going on in my personal life at the moment. I'm changing religions and getting caught up with coursework and another major side project. I plan to start back up mid-December and work on it especially in the Spring.

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Been thinking about turning this game into a Super Smash Brothers Game Maker. Essentially, you can drag and drop your own sprites and sounds into the game to create your own characters and stages. Just a thought, but it would be really easy for me to make. Also, this whole system would still work with online multiplayer.

I'm just imagining everyone who's had their own idea for different smash game now being able to make those games easily. And they'd even all have online multiplayer! Let me know what you think (if anyone is even active on this forum) :D

joehinkle11

Smash Apprentice
Finished a great tab manager today. I'm planning on having 5 main types of tabs:
- project "home" tab
- stage editor
- animation editor
- character editor
- ui editor

We'll see how this goes...

Last edited:

brian2524

Smash Rookie
I like that idea a lot. I think we should have both though. Not just the maker. But I forgot to post this stage I made earlier for the game.
https://imgur.com/a/hFxpe
(Joe already saw it but not the forum.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom