• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers University (SBU)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Smash Brothers University

Presented by:
Bubbaking and the Anime Plus Club at Stony Brook University

December 1st, 2012

The moment you've all been waiting for has finally arrived: a Melee and Project M tournament on Long Island!

I will be updating this thread as time progresses with specific directions, fees, and scheduling info as well as changes! By the way, we are in dire need of setups, so please bring them if you have them! :)

Stony Brook, NY 11790

Directons:
Super shout outs to TheGrape for finding this stuff for me! I was kinda having a little trouble getting the maps and everything but this guy just steamrolled everything for me! :awesome:
Venue info:

Tournament is being held in the GLS/HDV Center at Roosevelt Quad

1) Location of GLS/HDV Center is circled in red. This event will be held in the 2nd floor of the building
2) Parking is outlined in dark blue and is free
3) Green highlights the food court location. Its just across the street. Food there is decent but overpriced. I'd suggest you bring in food from outside as it would be cheaper. There could also be a possibility of pitching in money and having pizza delivered.

Directions to venue:

Public Transportation:
Stony Brook is easily accessible via LIRR. In fact, the train station is inside campus. Taking the train from Penn Station to Stony Brook takes less than 2 hours. Walking from the train station to the GLS/HDV center takes roughly 10 minutes.

Stony Brook LIRR train times

Direction for walking is shown here

Car:
Take the LIE to Exit 62 and head towards Nicolls Rd/Blue Point/Stony Brook. Once at Nicolls Rd, keep going until you reach the South Entrance. In which case you will make a left.

Here is a map which shows the directions to the venue from Nicolls Rd

Here is the Google Maps directions starting with the left turn from Nicolls

1. Turn left onto South Dr
2. Turn right onto Marburger Dr
3. At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit onto Circle Rd
4. Turn left onto Roosevelt Dr
5. Take the 1st right onto Kelly Dr
6. Take the 1st right onto West Dr
Price:
Venue Fee - $10
Melee Singles Entry Fee - $10
Melee Doubles Entry Fee - $20 ($10 per person)
Project M Singles Entry Fee - $10
Project M Doubles Entry Fee - $20 ($10 per person)

DISCOUNTS!!!!!!!
Anyone who brings a setup will receive a discount on the venue fee. This is how much will be removed from your venue fee for each item needed:
  • Game (SD card with PM on it, Melee disc, and/or Brawl disc) - $1
  • System (Wii and/or Gamecube) - $3
  • TV - $4
  • Partial setup (system + game) - $5
  • Partial setup (TV + system) - $8
  • Full setup (TV + system + game) - $10 (full discount)

If you could bring materials for both games, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please make sure that the PM contained on any SD cards you bring is Demo v2.1 (Full Set) ONLY!

Pot Payout (for all events):
1st place - 50%
2nd place - 25%
3rd place - 15%
4th place - 10%

Schedule:
*Schedule is subject to change*

10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Setup and Registration
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Friendlies
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM Melee Doubles
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM Project M Doubles
3:00 PM - 6:00 PM Melee Singles
4:00 PM - 7:00 PM Project M Singles
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM Breakdown

Rules:
Melee
[collapse="Singles Stage List"]
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land 64
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
[/collapse]

[collapse="Doubles Stage List"]
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land 64
Counterpicks:
  • Kongo Jungle 64
  • Brinstar
  • Rainbow Cruise
[/collapse]

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
  • Wobbling is banned.
  • Double Blind: If elected. Either player/team may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, the choice(s) of each player/team for the first round. Both players/teams are to then select their first round characters, with the 3rd party validating that the characters selected are the same as their word.
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected. If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a single game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port(s).
  • Neutral Start: If elected. Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions.” A single game of Rock, Paper, Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR) will be used. A player/team may not counterpick to any stage they won on during the set.
  • Gentleman’s Clause. Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over MDSR.
  • No Forced Character Selection
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, play a 1 stock 2 minute match on the same stage. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.

Additional Doubles Rules:
  • Team Attack: ON. In other words, "friendly fire" must be allowed.
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying "Defeated" before pressing start. It is recommended that you turn the pause option off prior to beginning the match.

Set Procedure:
  1. Players/teams select their characters. Either player/team may elect to Double Blind pick.
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage. The order of Stage Striking is P1-P2-P2-P1.
  3. The players/teams play the first match of the set. Prior to starting this match, either player/team may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player/team would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. The winning player/team of the preceding match bans a stage. For Singles Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban. For Singles Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans. For Doubles Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans. For Doubles best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban.
  5. The losing player/team of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player/team of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player/team of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player/team of the preceding match gets first pick of port.
  9. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  10. The next match is played.
  11. Repeat Steps 4 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Neutral Start Ports
Singles:
FD - Ports 1 & 2
FoD - Ports 1 & 2
YS - Ports 1 & 2
DL64 - Ports 2 & 4
BF - Ports 3 & 4
PS - Ports 3 & 4

Doubles:
FD - Ports 1 & 3 vs Ports 2 & 4
PS - Ports 1 & 4 vs Ports 2 & 3
BF - Ports 1 & 4 vs Ports 2 & 3
YS - Ports 1 & 4 vs Ports 2 & 3
DL - Ports 1 & 4 vs Ports 2 & 3

Project M
[collapse="Singles Stage List"]
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land 64
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
Counterpick Groups:
GROUP 1
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Pictochat

GROUP 2
  • Battlefield
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Dracula's Castle

GROUP 3
  • Yoshi's Story (Melee)
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Wario Ware
  • Fountain of Dreams

GROUP 4
  • Dreamland (64)
  • Skyworld
  • Rumble Falls
  • Skyloft

GROUP 5
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Brinstar
  • Metal Cavern
  • Kongo Jungle 64
[/collapse]

[collapse="Doubles Stage List"]
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land 64
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
Counterpick Groups:
GROUP 1
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Pictochat

GROUP 2
  • Battlefield
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Dracula's Castle

GROUP 3
  • Yoshi's Story (Melee)
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Wario Ware
  • Fountain of Dreams

GROUP 4
  • Dreamland (64)
  • Skyworld
  • Rumble Falls
  • Skyloft

GROUP 5
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Brinstar
  • Kongo Jungle 64

GROUP 6
  • SSE: Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
[/collapse]

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
  • Double Blind: If elected. Either player/team may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, the choice(s) of each player/team for the first round. Both players/teams are to then select their first round characters, with the 3rd party validating that the characters selected are the same as their word.
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected. If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a single game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port(s).
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR) will be used. A player/team may not counterpick to any stage they won on during the set.
  • Gentleman’s Clause. Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over MDSR.
  • No Forced Character Selection
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, play a 1 stock 3 minute match on the same stage. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
  • If the match goes to Sudden Death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

Additional Doubles Rules:
  • Team Attack: ON. In other words, "friendly fire" must be allowed.
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • Ports must be P1 & P4 vs P2 & P3. Either team can Contest Port Priority in order to decide which team gets a specific port configuration.

Set Procedure:
  1. Players/teams select their characters. Either player/team may elect to Double Blind pick.
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage. The order of Stage Striking is P1-P2-P2-P1-P1-P2.
  3. The players/teams play the first match of the set. Prior to starting this match, either player/team may elect to Contest Port Priority.
  4. The winning player/team of the preceding match bans a counterpick stage group. Each player/team gets 1 stage group ban.
  5. The losing player/team of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player/team of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player/team of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player/team of the preceding match gets first pick of port.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 5 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

SETUPS!!!
I'll tell you right now, we, as a venue, only have a couple TVs and very few Wiis and Gamecubes. We have even less Project M setups (I think we only have one definite SD card with P:M demo v2.1 on it, as of now). We really, really need you to bring set ups if at all possible. :bee:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
We really need setups guys! Also, I would like to get a general idea of how many people are coming for purposes of accommodation. Please post here if you're planning to enter. It also wouldn't hurt to say which tourneys you plan on entering.

Eli - All four; SD card
F. Blue - PM Singles; Full setup (PM)
JKJ - All four; SD card/Gamecube/Melee disc
Jam - Melee and PM Singles; Full Setup (Melee and PM)
Dark Pikmin - Melee Singles and Doubles
GuruKid - PM Singles and Doubles; SD Card/Wii/Brawl disc
Grape Ape - Melee Singles and Doubles; Full Setup (Melee)
Bobcat - ??????
Luxord - ??????
Cannedbread - PM Singles; Wii + SD Card; Brawl?
Boxob - ?????
Dr. Awkward - ?????
Max - ???????
Animal - ??????
Leelue - ???????
Ryan K - Melee Singles and Doubles (PM?); Setup?
Xbar - Melee Singles (Doubles? PM?); Gamecube + Melee (TV?)
Schmeckle - ???????
Gallo - ??????
Vino - ???????
Knut
Phish-it
Deadgye
Irish Mafia
TheGrape

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I am definitely coming to this. :)

I can bring an SD card or two with P:M at the very least. I'll see what I can do about a TV/Wii.

Money matches!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?

I am entering all 4 events.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I'm attending this. I can only show up at 6 for PM singles, but I willl certainly bring a setup.

Edit: I can also provide an extra copy of Brawl/SD card.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I most certainly want to come to this. Here's the problem: I would only be able to arrive around 2:30-2:45, but I am only entering melee singles and P:M singles. Would that be alright? Also, I can almost definitely bring an SD card with P:M at the least and most likely a GC+TV. HYPE

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I most certainly want to come to this. Here's the problem: I would only be able to arrive around 2:30-2:45, but I am only entering melee singles and P:M singles. Would that be alright? Also, I can almost definitely bring an SD card with P:M at the least and most likely a GC+TV. HYPE
That should be fine. PM me your cell #. That way, you can text me the day of when you're on your way so I can confirm that you're in.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
i'll try to go for project m singles

most likely will be able to bring a wii and sd card too

oh and a disc

basically everything but a tv

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The Red Box, which is the HDV/GLS center. I'll get directions up soon. Also, I'm making a list of who's probably coming and whether they're bringing setups, just so I can get a preliminary head count.

Edit: It's mostly notes for now, so don't mind it too much. I'll contact each of you for details later today, probably.

Schmeckle

Smash Rookie
Hoping to make this, unfortunately I won't be able to say the whole time. I can bring a setup but I just don't want to feel like "that guy" when I have to leave.

JKJ

Smash Ace
This tourney will be legit as SH*T. I can't wait for this to happen. Hope the turnout's good, otherwise im still down for some awesome friendlies after a short tourney.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Sorry for the late notice, and I will be updating this into the OP, but anyone who brings a setup will receive a discount on the venue fee. This is how much will be removed from your venue fee for each item needed:
  • Game (SD card with PM on it, Melee disc, and/or Brawl disc) - $1
  • System (Wii and/or Gamecube) - $3
  • TV - $4
  • Partial setup (system + game) - $5
  • Partial setup (TV + system) - $8
  • Full setup (TV + system + game) - $10 (full discount)

If you could bring materials for both games, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please make sure that the PM contained on any SD cards you bring is Demo v2.1 (Full Set) ONLY.

Thank you all for your help! :)

JKJ

Smash Ace
I really want to go to this at 10:00, and enter all 4 events, or at least play friendlies during doubles. I hate that I'm coming late. I'd rather be there for 8 hours than 4 >:O. I'm gonna hopefully see what I can do about this.
I'll update you when I know something.
EDIT:
Actually, that was fast. I just rearranged my schedule. Schmeckle and I will be coming at 10:00 am and staying for the duration of the tournament.
I am now planning on (If I can find a partner for doubles) entering all 4 events. Otherwise, I'll come and hang out for doubles, and maybe play some friendlies and stuff if possible.
Hype!

JKJ

Smash Ace
Anyone interested in teaming with an amateur Falco main? I also secondary Captain Falcon and Fox, also Marth (but not really for teams). If you're interested, PM me. I'll enter either P:M or Melee doubles, or both.

Deadgye

Smash Rookie
how can I get here via public transit?
Stony Brook Station on the LIRR Port Jefferson branch is literally on campus.

Looking forward to this. Should be a decent amount of people from the school attending in addition to the people who've posted here. Might also have a stream set up for maximum spectator hype.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
It's actually in the opposite side of campus. It's being held at the GLS/HDV Center, AKA the Rebox (because it's a big red box), which is located in the Roosevelt quad, across from Kelly Dining. Bubba, get those directions up ASAP, you've got two more days.

TheGrape

Smash Cadet
Venue info:

Tournament is being held in the GLS/HDV Center at Roosevelt Quad

1) Location of GLS/HDV Center is circled in red. This event will be held in the 2nd floor of the building
2) Parking is outlined in dark blue and is free
3) Green highlights the food court location. Its just across the street. Food there is decent but overpriced. I'd suggest you bring in food from outside as it would be cheaper. There could also be a possibility of pitching in money and having pizza delivered.

Directions to venue:

Public Transportation:
Stony Brook is easily accessible via LIRR. In fact, the train station is inside campus. Taking the train from Penn Station to Stony Brook takes less than 2 hours. Walking from the train station to the GLS/HDV center takes roughly 10 minutes.

Stony Brook LIRR train times

Direction for walking is shown here

Car:
Take the LIE to Exit 62 and head towards Nicolls Rd/Blue Point/Stony Brook. Once at Nicolls Rd, keep going until you reach the South Entrance. In which case you will make a left.

Here is a map which shows the directions to the venue from Nicolls Rd

Here is the Google Maps directions starting with the left turn from Nicolls

1. Turn left onto South Dr
2. Turn right onto Marburger Dr
3. At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit onto Circle Rd
4. Turn left onto Roosevelt Dr
5. Take the 1st right onto Kelly Dr
6. Take the 1st right onto West Dr

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Who is this TheGrape guy? Why does he only have only 1 post since his join date in 2009? And why is he so awesome? Thanks a lot man! I was actually having a spot of trouble getting maps and stuff.

Whoop! Phish-it is coming! GET HYPE!!! Samus-DK friendlies? :)

Updating the OP with directions and stuff. Also, really good news! The time of our venue reservation has been increased to 10 PM! So now we don't have to rush our tourneys and there should be plenty of time to get friendlies in before and afterwards. :bee:

cannedbread

Smash Lord
yeah i don't think i can make it, important personal stuff came up, johns rahh rahh. hopefully i'll be able to catch another tournament this close. but until some miracle happens in the next 12 or so hours i don't think i can make it D:

Top Bottom