• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Wii-U 'Big Priority For Namco'

yani

Smash Lord
Updated OP.

NowGamer said:
Smash Bros is coming to Wii U courtesy of Nintendo and Namco Bandai. Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada has revealed the scale of the project.

Smash Bros. Wii U is being co-developed by Namco Bandai, and is a "big priority for the company", Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada can confirm.

In an interview with NowGamer, Harada explained the true scale of Namco's massive joint effort with Nintendo.

"Obviously it’s a big priority for the company," Harada explained, "so company-wide there are a lot of people involved with that particular project. Not just from Tekken but a lot of our franchises. "

Harada continued, "Although our main core staff is busy with Tekken Tag tournament 2 and trying to finish that up, I do think we’ll support the initiative in some kind of capacity."

We also asked Harada if he knew of any Namco characters who would be appearing in Smash Bros. Wii U.

Harada responded, "That question was one of the most frequently asked questions we got when we announced the project. Especially from abroad."

"The fans, rather than asking about Tales or Gundam, or some of our other franchises, the fans abroad saw Tekken as one of the key words and took off on that."

"We’re not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros, maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn’t want, so I’ve been pulling back on that a bit. But I don’t know."

We'll have more on Smash Bros. Wii U as it happens.
Source

New words from Harada:
NG: As you said earlier, Namco will be working with Nintendo on the next Smash Bros. game and, from what we understand, some of the Tekken team will be working on the game. Can you assure some of our more concerned readers that Super Smash Bros. 4 is in good hands?

KH: Well I guess the main point is that obviously the director is still Sakurai-san and he’ll still obviously be the lead on the project. But as far as staff on our side at Namco Bandai, I guess our foreign fans are excited about the involvement of Tekken staff but if you look at it in general, including Japan, a lot of the staff involved have been known for working on many famous titles throughout our line-up both past and present, and these are all individuals who have worked directly in the development teams on various projects and have a lot of experience in their respective fields. So I think that it’s safe to say we can expect a really good title to come out of that.
Thankfully this clarifies that Sakurai is in fact directing the new Super Smash Bros.

Harada said:
“Obviously people are saying many things since we are developing the next Smash Bros. We’re very excited that Nintendo chose us, and most they likely did because Namco Bandai has a very good track record with fighting games such as the Tekken series. We have a lot of experience and knowledge regarding this particular genre, that’s probably one of the factors in their decision. That being said, although we’ll help provide support on technology and other things involved creating the game, I’m currently very focused on the Tekken series. Some people might say online that I’m going to be involved in the development process or not but that shouldn’t really be an issue because the game design is going to be handled Masahiro Sakurai. So I don’t understand why there would be any worries there.

“I mentioned in a past interview recently that the Tekken characters are something that maybe long time fans of the Smash Bros. series don’t really expect, so maybe they won’t be in there. The feedback was very mixed, there were 2 camps, one said ‘Harada, you’re very right, we don’t need the Tekken characters in Smash Bros, good job.’ It’s nice that they agree with me but on the other hand, they themselves don’t exactly need Tekken characters in Smash Bros. so it’s kind of complex. Then there’s the other half were people saying ‘No you’re totally wrong, we want Tekken and Soul Calibur characters in the game otherwise why does it need to be developed be Namco Bandai’ so there’s really two different sides and it’s difficult to choose one. Obviously I’m not going to say to Sakurai, ‘We want Tekken characters, please put it in’ that’s not the case so people don’t have to worry about that. The sole decision will probably be made in a way that if more people want Tekken characters in it then Sakurai might choose to do so, if not then so be it.”
Source

Credits~
Thanks to Omni for fixing the thread title
Thanks to Starphoenix for providing the new info

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well they can't be too much of a priority if they just release a character for PSAS from Tekken.

D

Deleted member

Well they can't be too much of a priority if they just release a character for PSAS from Tekken.
Allowing someone to use a character is pretty much nothing.

EDIT: Well, seems that it's down to Pac-Man vs. Heihachi depending if they decide to keep pulling back a Tekken character or not.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Maybe we really might get Pac-Man or some crap like that. :|

I wonder if somewhere Ono is jealous he isn't helping to collaborate on Super Smash Bros 4, he and Harada seem to have that playful rivalry anyways.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The games aren't even in competition with one another. Smash 4 isn't coming out for quite a while, so a conflict between lending characters (assuming there'd be a conflict to begin with) shouldn't be much of a problem. That also goes for Snake.

Might as well use this info and update/bump the directory.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it comes down to only a Tekken character appearing in Smash, I say no Namco characters.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Why all the hate for Tekken? I think having Jin or King in the game would be pretty cool.

Obviously Heihachi won't be an option, considering hes in the Sony game now.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why all the hate for Tekken? I think having Jin or King in the game would be pretty cool.

Heiachi's been in every single tekken crossover so far

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
I think introducing a character from an actual fighter like Tekken into a Smash game would lead to a chain reaction of terrible ideas for deveolpment in general.
I mean really, just to make him/her fit in appropriately, they would have to change some pretty vital mechanics. Some of the true beauty in Smash comes from the fact that the characters don't really have pre-defined moves before the game (for the most part) so their moveset is pretty much created on the spot to fit their powers/suiting. With someone who already has a moveset, fitting them in would mean something else has to give.

I might be being pessimistic here, but I don't think it's a fantastic idea.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Beats me if there's any hate.

Heihachi is still an option, Smash 4 won't be out for quite a while (probably a year or two) so a lending conflict assuming there'd be one to begin with shouldn't be a problem (and if there was, Namco wouldn't be a very good company now would it? lol).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not hate. I love Tekken. I just don't want to see it's characters in SMASH.

Pac Man is a lot closer to a character that should be in SMASH.

TBH, I don't even like Snake in the game

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I agree with Psycho, Tekken characters are a bad idea. The only one that would even be remotely palatable is Yoshimitsu.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder if Sakurai is actually CHUMS with the guy. I mean, Snake only got in because he and Kojima are pals. If this Harada fellow isn't that close to Sakurai, it might be pretty easy for Sakurai to just shrug off the idea of Namco characters entirely. Might be a shocker to some people, but just because Namco is working on Smash doesn't mean there is some kind of legal obligation to scratch their back and include one of their characters.

I wish this MetalGreymon would evolve to SkullGreymon already. How many times do I have to lead it to its death.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder if Sakurai is actually CHUMS with the guy. I mean, Snake only got in because he and Kojima are pals. If this Harada fellow isn't that close to Sakurai, it might be pretty easy for Sakurai to just shrug off the idea of Namco characters entirely. Might be a shocker to some people, but just because Namco is working on Smash doesn't mean there is some kind of legal obligation to scratch their back and include one of their characters.

I wish this MetalGreymon would evolve to SkullGreymon already. How many times do I have to lead it to its death.
MetalGreymon is the superior digivolution in the line as much as awesomeness is concerned.

Not a single Digimon that looks better than that

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yeah but he's 18 days old now so I want to kill him so he'll evolve and thus last longer.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just wondering, what's the requirements for character inclusion? IIRC it was being unique, make people want to play, etc
Don't forget, the character has to have appeared at least once on a Nintendo costume and must have originated in a video game.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
He seems to be talking rather casually though, as if he could very likely get in a character if he wanted to.

That being said, I feel Tekken will not be added, nor should it. If he is understanding that Smash Bros. fans don't like the idea, then he will not do that to the series that isn't his, nor would he want to put an imperfection in the game that Namco Bandai is so proud to help work on. They want their inclusion to be seen as a good thing, not something the Smash Bros. fans bemoan.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anything that Namco does that's different from what the people's preconceived notions of a Smash game are, there will be *****ing and moaning for months to come.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There will be hell if they change the font size

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Namco's not going to do anything that isn't what Sakurai tells them to do. Did anyone think they were your friends on the inside trying to overthrow a tyrant.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, Tekken ain't happening in Smash. Tekken series may be big but barely of the Tekken games have hit a Nintendo console (90% of them are either arcade or a Sony console). Out of the 14 official games, 3 are on a Nintendo system (that's including the upcoming Tag Tournament 2 for Wii U), all of which are spin-offs of the series. Give me Pac-Man, Tales character, or Klonoa, instead.

EDIT: Just realized that the Metal Gear series isn't that different from Tekken when it comes to supporting Nintendo. I feel dumb.

But yeah, can't wait to see what's in store.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Tekken apparently has been on a nintendo console. And does a character have to be all cartoony and stuff to be "appropriate" in smash? I think Snake fit in perfectly. I think if Snake is removed (as I believe he will be), then there is room for another humanoid, more realistic character. If you can even consider King or Yoshimitsu realistic.

Seriously though, how would King NOT be awesome in smash. Dem dropkicks, dem flying elbows, dem suplexes...

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
No Tekken characters :(...but I want YOSHIMITSU!

EDIT: At least Namco Bandai is working hard to bring us a good smash title.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Meh. Whatever happens, people are going to whine about it for a couple months and then the negativity will eventually calm down. I never really wanted a Tekken character anyway.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
It's not hate. I love Tekken. I just don't want to see it's characters in SMASH.

Pac Man is a lot closer to a character that should be in SMASH.

TBH, I don't even like Snake in the game
It's pretty much ^this times 100 for me. I don't understand why people are asking for any Tekken. The style does NOT blend well with Smash Bros.

Heck, it's an awkward fit, it will start to feel like Playstation All-Star Battle Royale where the characters absolutely do NOT blend together. And that's something that almost prevented Sakurai from starting Smash Bros. in the first place!

Pac-Man, Klonoa, and Lloyd are the three that can fit in very well. And I hope it's one of these three.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Seeing how Heihachi is now in Playstation All-Stars I think its safe to say he or any Tekken character wont make it into the Smash 4 roster. I still feel like this is Pac-Man's time!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My sis would love to see Tekken-characters in Smash... but indeed, I dunno if even Snake felt much eligible to ever been in Smash. (Thanks so much for taking a place for some more Nintendo-related Konami-character like Simon Belmont)

But yeah, I dunno if I wish to see Tekken... (-T3T-)... I think I wouldn't really like it that much.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's a certain degree of realism that doesn't fit in Smash Brothers. Snake's the only 'realistic' human character in the game and he always seemed misplaced to me.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I guess I simply disagree, I thought Snake worked fine. Marth and Ike are pretty realistic as well, but nobody complains about that. Not to mention how people are asking for Takamaru. Yoshimitsu and King are honestly no more realistic than those characters.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There's a certain degree of realism that doesn't fit in Smash Brothers. Snake's the only 'realistic' human character in the game and he always seemed misplaced to me.
So the Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, and FE series don't count? With Tekken having characters like a bear, a dinosaur, an ogre, a robot, an angel, the series is much more off the wall than people give it credit for.

Really don't see the big deal about having a Tekken character, but whatever. Namco was never talked about before in speculation (if you were around for the old threads and are in the backrooms) for a reason.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So the Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, and FE series don't count? With Tekken having characters like a bear, a dinosaur, an ogre, a robot, an angel, the series is much more off the wall than people give it credit for.

Really don't see the big deal about having a Tekken character, but whatever. Namco was never talked about before in speculation (if you were around for the old threads and are in the backrooms) for a reason.
The only other one I can see being a bit borderline is Zero-Suit Samus.
The others seem a bit more cartoony, what with the Zelda series characters having pointed ears and those outfits, Pit being a cartoony angel, Capton Falcon and his various silly grunts and shouts and costume, and Fire Emblem... eh, you got me there. I don't know enough about them to judge them past their looks, which don't seem realistic to me, but yeah, I didn't take into account the more whimsical Tekken characters because I haven't really played it much to know. Just read about it. Sigh.

I'm not at all an expert on this subject so take anything I say about it with a grain of salt. A lot of talk about this is subjective anyway.
Lots of "I don't see why such people don't think the same way I do! :glare: " involved usually.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@Wario Bros
Metal Gear is different, because Sakurai and Kojima are friends. ;) Also, Metal Gear got initially popular with the original Metal Gear's port from the MSX2 to the NES. Then there was that "spin-off" not known by Kojima on the NES that was popular. :smirk: Also, Ghost Babel, Twin Snakes, and MGS 3DS are also Nintendo-console exclusive Metal Gear titles. :bee:
shortie brought up Soul Calibur characters, Kuma and Metal Overlord brought up Tekken characters, and Kuma, myself, and others routinely brought up Pac-Man. Honestly though, the problem with Namco Bandai is even though they got some good characters from Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tales, etc, Pac-Man is just all-consuming, and so much more popular.

Top Bottom