• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. References in its Represented Franchises

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
I know that this website has had an article from two years ago with a similar topic, but that was mostly a public perception and entire franchise rundown's influence on Smash and others that brought their influence into Smash. With this thread, however, I want to do more of a bullet-point list per franchise of specifically what bled into them from their appearance in Smash, instead of all the throwbacks Smash puts into the core of its design. Feel free to point out other examples so I can add to this lists. Any franchises not included below I have absolutely no idea or can't think of any Smash references in their games.

Mario
  • Luigi’s shy and odd personality traits are first seen in the original Super Smash Bros.
  • Thwomp’s first current 3D appearance not in its 64 form is a trophy in Melee
  • Bowser Jr’s Junior Clown Car became more of a core to Bowser Jr’s spin-off appearances after Smash 4, with its kart appearance in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being properly recolored for the Koopalings based on their clown cars in Smash
  • Green Missile appears in Mario Sports Mix
  • Giga Bowser was planned to appear in Skylanders SuperChargers, but replaced with Molten Bowser

Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong's use of his Peanut Popgun and Rocketbarrel Pack in the retro Donkey Kong Country series greatly resembles their use in Brawl

The Legend of Zelda
  • I am absolutely sure there's Smash-related references in the series but I for the life of me can't think of any

Metroid
  • Samus gets dragged around by Ridley into the walls of Pyrosphere in their fight in Other M, mirroring the cutscene from Subspace
  • Samus' first 3D appearance was in Smash 64 and very well may have influenced the rest of her 3D designs

Yoshi

Kirby
  • Smash became an ability in Amazing Mirror, Dream Collection, and Planet Robobot
  • Galaxia Darkness, Meta Knight’s final smash, became an order point attack in Planet Robobot
  • Master and Crazy Hand are bosses in Amazing Mirror
  • The Melee remixes of Green Greens and Fountain of Dreams appear rearranged in Air Ride and other future games
  • King Dedede’s Jet Hammer was integrated into the main series after Super Star Ultra
  • Mach Tornado, in a heavily modified form, became an order point attack in Super Star Ultra
  • Shuttle Loop becomes a standard attack for playable Meta Knight starting with Return to Dream Land
  • Meta Knight’s cuff links and emblem appear as part of his design starting with Planet Robobot

Star Fox
  • Fox's appearance in Smash greatly influenced his design in Star Fox Zero

Pokemon

F-Zero
  • The Falcon Punch appears in the finale of the F-Zero anime

Fire Emblem
  • Fire Emblem Awakening features a set of DLC missions named "Smash Brethren" that involves the Fire Emblem characters that appear in Melee and Brawl
  • In Fire Emblem Fates, during the first encounter with Robin (via the Robin amiibo), he references Super Smash Bros., talking about how he was "in the middle of a battle" and questions whether he was "launching the other fighters" or if they were "they launching me". In the Japanese version, he words it a bit differently, using the word "blow" instead of "launch". Lucina does this too in her first encounter via the Lucina amiibo, but only in the NoA version
  • One of Marth's combos in Fire Emblem Warriors is based off Dancing Blade

Game & Watch
  • Appearances of Mr. Game & Watch such as in Warioware: Touched, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and more are now consistently his design from Melee

Kid Icarus
  • Pit, Palutena, and the Centurion's designs in Kid Icarus Uprisng are directly inspired from Brawl
  • Super Smash Bros. is directly mentioned during Uprising's tutorials

Wario
  • Wario's character select portrait from Brawl is directly drawn over in the microgame "On Strike" from Warioware Gold
  • Wario's victoy theme was turned into the music track "Stonecarving City" in Wario Land: Shake It!, which was released after Brawl

Pikmin
  • Olimar's spacesuits now feature buttons and more detailing, first seen in Brawl

Animal Crossing

Mega Man
  • Mega Man's design from Smash greatly influenced the design for the character in Megaman 11

Bayonetta

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus Uprising pretty much wouldn't exist in its current state without Pit's inclusion in Smash.

Here's hoping more people get a chance at a game. I would love an Ice Climber game, heck even a Mr. GW game.

Edit:

I'm not sure if this counts, but if I recall correctly an original MGS song first appeared on the smashbros website for Brawl and in Brawl itself. Later MGS4 was released and the song was unlockable via the game's iPod.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wario's character select portrait from Brawl is directly drawn over in the microgame "On Strike" from Warioware Gold
Are you sure about this one? I looked up the microgame and couldn't find the Brawl portrait (clip).

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
In Fire Emblem Fates, during the first encounter with Robin (via the Robin amiibo), he references Super Smash Bros., talking about how he was "in the middle of a battle" and questions whether he was "launching the other fighters" or if they were "they launching me". In the Japanese version, he words it a bit differently, using the word "blow" instead of "launch".

Lucina does this too in her first encounter via the Lucina amiibo, but only in the NoA version. She talks about how the last thing she remembers was that her friends "were applauding me". In the Japanese version, she simply calls herself a "lost child", saying that she "got lost along the way."

Arthur97

Smash Master
A more minor thing, but apparently one of Marth's combos in Warriors is a variation of Dancing Blade.

Top Bottom