• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Pet Peeve?

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
You remember how bad the Apex ruleset was in general and how poorly managed the stage time was? More time was spent waiting for matches than matches being played. That's an issue especially when already squeezing a three day event into two days.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Roll spam.

It's not even a 'rolls are OP' thing because they're not. It's just like... after I've pivot f-tilted or smashed your roll spam for the 11th time in a row, why are you still rolling from end-to-end of the stage like it's the new wavedash. Just try something else. Anything else. Just stop rolling. It's not working.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
You remember how bad the Apex ruleset was in general and how poorly managed the stage time was? More time was spent waiting for matches than matches being played. That's an issue especially when already squeezing a three day event into two days.
I realize that part of it was trying to squeeze everything into two days, but there's also the fact that characters like Rosalina and Olimar exist. Top 8 at Apex for Smash 4 took an insanely long time, and having 3 stocks would have made that even worse.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
-no regional base matchmaking,cue the lag when I get my paired with someone from the uk.

-the menus,why is everything so cluster and hard to find(looking at you trophy rush and training mode)

-no 2 stock 5 min in for glory teams

-the huge amount of salty players in 1v1

Meowjesty

Smash Rookie
Roll spam.

It's not even a 'rolls are OP' thing because they're not. It's just like... after I've pivot f-tilted or smashed your roll spam for the 11th time in a row, why are you still rolling from end-to-end of the stage like it's the new wavedash. Just try something else. Anything else. Just stop rolling. It's not working.
I believe that's because that's the play-style they adapted. It works against newbies and/or their friends, so that's the only strategy they know how to use and most likely if they never played against someone who has adapted against roll spam, they never adapted against someone who knows how to punish it.

PingleFingle

Smash Rookie
NNID
GummiSharkz
Switch FC
SW-0641-1519-5608
Roll and shield spam
When you rack up someones damage but you can't land the killing blow
Missing a 9 as G&W or a Falcon Punch
Link on For Glory, all they do is spam their projectiles

The menu is terrible. It's been found that the more submenus an item is under in a user interface, the drastically fewer people use that feature. It's why there's a campaign to eliminate the "hamburger button" on websites and mobile apps and I guess Sakurai keeps missing the memo. The grouping of so many game modes this time under an additional heading, "Games & More," is egregious.

It really feels like the input required to get to the 3DS trophy shop is more complicated than any other button input in this game or in most fighting games.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
The fact that :popo: are not in the game......... My god that's what I am disappointed about the most.

How only omega stages are used in FG

How you can't even use custom moves in FG

The second worst thing is the error code that constantly makes it annoying to ever play with friends let alone an online match.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
The whole menu in the game and UI in general just drives me nuts.

The layout is horrible, why not reduce the screens and consolidate everything? Put it in list form. Navigating it for new players is like a maze. I know it may not look as cool but a straight down list would be a lot more user friendly.

2) Replays don't support rewind or fast forward <---- so incredibly annoying
4) No way to change the default profile setting. Having to reselect your gamertag every time is stupid.
6) Having to hold the "B" button to go back instead of it instantly going back
7) Why in the world don't any of the menus have touchscreen support on the wii u gamepad? Absolutely no excuse for that Nintendo.
All of these things...

When first booting up the game it is VERY noticable that it's a complete mess, or the way it's laid out (Size, position and location) is complete garbage.

Single player modes are ew. I don't need to explain why.

Also, I know some people like to mess about with custom moves. Why don't they have it so when you have customisations turned on, they have an option so you can change your custom moves while on the character select screen? So I don't have to back out of everything I'm doing just to go and customise a character then have to work my way back and reselect everything. Maybe just 4 little boxes that appear at the top of the character box with numbers 1-3 in it, and when you click the box it opens up a sub menu that shows which custom moves there are. I hope I've explained that well enough...

I wish I could use Amiibo online too. Me and my friend enjoy occassionally putting them against each other, you can use CPU online... Why not Amiibo?

I'd also love to be able to join a friend online and then find a team match in For Glory, rather than being local. Yes, I know that being local and using 2 consoles would reduce the lag, but you can have a 4 player match with little to no lag if you all have a good connection, which me and my friend do. It'd just be nice to have the option to do it.

Oh... AND BRING BACK SNAKE.

Last edited:

grevs

Smash Rookie
Playing a Sonic and getting the spin dash spammed against me.

Ducksen

Smash Apprentice
People who leave after I swap characters in for glory. I've learned to stare at them on the main menu if they suspiciously are on selecting for a long time...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Taunting after a kill on For Glory. I know it's a cliche to say that but every time I see it, I can't help but be like "...Really, guy? ...Really?"

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
What is your Smash Bros. Pet Peeve?
I hate it when newcomers use :4kirby: and spam the stone...
I know... I know... its easy to dodge and all but I think its infuriating to get KOed by a falling stone...

I also hate one-move spammers...
may i suggest the R button?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Use the side taunt as Duck Hunt whenever I get a KO. Always the left button to ensure my victory pose.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The Stage Builder file limitations. Unable to share or back up, and unable to save more than 90. Oh, and replays take up the same slots, so I can't ever save replays.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
*snap!* (argh!)
Saving to the SD card... (sigh...)
Snapshot saved. (that's another one!)

Why assign snapshots to the trigger buttons? Since triggers are on the outer part of the controller, it's very easy for them to be pressed accidentally.
--
Another pet peeve is not being able to open up the friends list whatsoever while online. I play on Anther's Ladder. Because of the limitation, instead of simply going to the friends list and adding the person, I must first exit out of my room and the other online interfaces before I am able to add the person. Then, I must spend even more time reconnecting to the internet and opening another room. So much time wasted.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
*snap!* (argh!)
Saving to the SD card... (sigh...)
Snapshot saved. (that's another one!)

Why assign snapshots to the trigger buttons? Since triggers are on the outer part of the controller, it's very easy for them to be pressed accidentally.
Oh my god yes. Just when I was starting to think I was the only one who cared about this. Seriously, I'd wager I've accidentally saved over 50 screenshots by pausing and setting the controller down because some nutjob over at Nintendo decided it would just be a swell idea to assign snapshots to the trigger buttons, and make it so you can't change it. Freakin' sadists, I tell you.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh yeah... leaving after a single match. I feel like they're doing it out of spite, to specifically deny me a chance at revenge.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One of mine is definitely when people actually get mad at others for taunting after a KO. Like, seriously? That's why taunts exist.

AND ANOTHER THING.

Why can Game and Watch duck under the KO Punch? That of all things bothers me. :laugh:

Solo Popo

Smash Cadet
What is your Smash Bros. Pet Peeve?
I hate it when newcomers use :4kirby: and spam the stone...
I know... I know... its easy to dodge and all but I think its infuriating to get KOed by a falling stone...

I also hate one-move spammers...
I love playing against these sorts of players. Funny/easy wins :)

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
One of mine is definitely when people actually get mad at others for taunting after a KO. Like, seriously? That's why taunts exist.

AND ANOTHER THING.

Why can Game and Watch duck under the KO Punch? That of all things bothers me. :laugh:
I don't mind taunting after a KO myself. It's when the opponent is enough of a prick to taunt multiple times that makes me say "that's it, this egotistical ****face is going down."

Like when Meta Knight spams "COME COME COME COME COME" (because "lol it sounds like ***" I presume) or Ness spams his bat brandish/finger twirl like "HUH HUH HUH HUH HUAAH"

Last edited:

Lugihui

Smash Cadet
Of course it would be these Captain Falcon people. The taunt right when we start a game, which messes up my attack.

Why you may ask, I think hes either doing a Falcon Punch or a Falcon Kick.

Top Bottom