• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros. is still a port

Killerqueen

Smash Rookie
Hi, I am new to the forums and the first thing I wanna say is that Smash bros. ultimate is obviously a port because... I don't know, Street fighter 2 was a port or something like that. Isn't that the main reason people usually gives? XD

Anyway, this was just a joke. I used to discuss this with a friend of mine until it became a meme, it's a debate to which I have a special affection. I wanted to share it with you as presentation, please don't kill me XD

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
At this point we know it's not a port. It changes enough things, from character models to knockback, that one can't say it's just tr4sh for the Switch.
But we also know enough about the changes to see that it's not this grand comeback of a fantastic Smash game for anyone other than rost-oddlers.
So in that sense it kind of follows in tr4sh's footsteps for mediocrity.

Last edited:

Killerqueen

Smash Rookie
It's a joke right? Because I started with a joke, so...

Well, since I loved smash bros. 4 I must be a... rost-odllers, whatever that means. English is not my mother language and I can't find any dictionary that could help me with that.

You know, if that's not a joke, It's probably the worst welcome response I've received so far in any forum XD. You insult at the same time the base game that constitutes the forum where you comment (with what that implies for you) and all those who defend it, when it has not been released yet.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I'm not insulting Super Smash Bros. as a whole, just Smash 4 and Ultimate here.

I mispelled 'toddler'. The insult is supposed to be "roster-toddler", abbreviated to "rost-toddler".
It's a nonce word that mimics the more common and unrelated insult, "nintoddler".

I've directed this at people who care more about the characters that will be introduced into the game above all else,
including the gameplay itself, which is a childish way of viewing its quality. Hence "roster toddler".
It's not directed at people who defend the game in general, but I've yet to see any convincing defense of
the changes to the game's mechanics relative to the series's previous entries.

when it has not been released yet.
This has always been one of the weakest arguments of any game discussion pre-purchase-ability.
The game is playable, and the game is spectatable by non-players, and the mechanics have been revealed at length.
We certainly know enough about it to discuss whether it is a good game or not, though perhaps only not definitively.

Sure, the developers could end up changing some things in the final release. But here's an example of how
weak this hope is---people thought the balloon knockback when the game was revealed during the summer
was a bug, and that Sakurai would fix it to be normal like the previous game. But lo and behold, it was 100%
intentional and will never be "fixed". Nevertheless, this didn't stop defenders from insisting that criticizers of
the game not tote this as a talking point against the game's quality before we knew the truth.
So, just because it hasn't been "released" yet doesn't mean everything that gets complained about now
won't hold true a month later.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to

Click here for all discussion about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here to socialize and have fun.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @WolfieXVII @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman:Name changes :starman: Bigger signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman:Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum:starman:
:starman:Support the Smash community and sign up today!:starman:

Top Bottom